BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Joseph's Hit 300 | Year-End 2019 + Decade-End 10s, EOY DONE: PAGE 10 // EOD DONE: PAGE 17
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post Jan 1 2020, 10:21 PM
Post #41
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

Gracias Calum *.*
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jan 1 2020, 10:25 PM
Post #42

2019: Top 40 Albums

21 Conrad Sewell - LIFE | 2-7-8-9-12-12-14-x
22 Freya Ridings - Freya Ridings | 3-7-10-13-14-x
23 Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated | 4-11-15-x-11-15-x-7-12-x
24 Madonna - Madame X | 4-7-11-15-x
25 Billie Eilish - WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? | 2-6-9-12-x
26 Christopher - Under the Surface | 2-5-9-15-x
27 Nina Nesbitt - The Sun Will Come Up, The Seasons Will Change | 3-6-8-10-11-13-x
28 Jonas Brothers - Happiness Begins | 4-5-8-13-x
29 Cassadee Pope - stages | 4-7-9-11-12-14-x
30 Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell! | 5-9-12-15-x

Lana Del Rey delivered another pretty solid album in 2019, though I'm yet to prefer any subsequent releases to the glorious Born to Die from 2012. US country star Cassadee Pope finally followed up her 2013 debut release with the enjoyable country pop sound of stages, though Jonas Brothers waited even longer to release new album Happiness Begins! Nina Nesbitt's sophomore album also came this year, and I actually prefer it to debut release Peroxide, though both have identical peaks in my album chart. Christopher's relatively short new album didn't quite match Closer's #1 peak but spawned a new top 10 hit for him after over two years, and Madonna secured her second top 5 album in my chart with Madame X. Billie Eilish, Freya Ridings and Conrad Sewell all see their debut albums in this section, with Conrad quite notably taking perhaps too long for this album to come out - I think I'd have been more here for it in 2015, though it is good! Finally, no matter how hard Jay forced Carly on me, Dedicated lands at #23 here kink.gif

+Quote Post
danG
post Jan 1 2020, 10:35 PM
Post #43
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Not seen a whole lot of that TV but from your list obviously Doctor Who is a fave and I also really like Stranger Things. Being Human was also rather good.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jan 2 2020, 06:08 PM
Post #44

Thanks for the reply Dan!!

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jan 2 2020, 06:14 PM
Post #45

11 Céline Dion - Courage | 1-4-3-6-9-10-…
12 Avril Lavigne - Head Above Water | 3-1-2-4-4-8-12-13-x
13 Claire Richards - My Wildest Dreams | 2-4-5-8-9-10-15-x
14 BTS - MAP OF THE SOUL : PERSONA | 3-6-5-7-9-13-14-2-8-14-x
15 P!nk - Hurts 2B Human | 2-4-6-10-13-x
16 Charli XCX - Charli | 2-8-10-11-12-14-11-10-12-15-x
17 In Real Life - She Do | 2-7-12-x
18 Lewis Capaldi - Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent | 3-8-9-10-13-13-15-x
19 Maren Morris - GIRL | 3-9-12-x-5-15-x
20 Michael Schulte - Highs & Lows | 2-5-8-13-15-15-x

Higher charting albums with a little longevity are starting to appear now. Michael Schulte is the king of consistency in my chart, with solid top 5 albums that have longevity between 5-10 weeks laugh.gif Highs & Lows was another of them, though it scored his highest peak since debut album Wide Awake back in 2013. Maren Morris' sophomore album ends as the second highest country album in what was a surprisingly strong year for the genre in my album chart, while Lewis Capaldi and In Real Life provide two more debut albums in this section. Another debut is Claire Richards, who of course comes from Steps. I'm no massive Steps fan, but I gave Claire's album a listen upon a recommendation from Jay and I was pleasantly surprised!! I was also rather surprised by how good BTS' MAP OF THE SOUL : PERSONA was, a particular shoutout to Mikrokosmos, as written by X Factor and TARO Bellamia's Ryan Lawrie biggrin.gif Perhaps it should have been in the EP chart, though it felt more at home in this countdown. P!nk scored her second #1 album in a row, while Charli XCX didn't quite match the #1 peak of SUCKER, but she did come close and get a decent amount of longevity with Charli. Finally, we lose our first two #1 albums, which makes me realise just how few #1 albums I've had this year (that weren't greatest hits albums from artists I saw live laugh.gif)...! Avril Lavigne scored a second #1 album with Head Above Water, her most restrained album yet, while Celine Dion nabbed her first #1 with Courage in November.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jan 2 2020, 08:39 PM
Post #46

10 Andreas Wijk - Season 1 [Episode 01-14] | 1-1-2-4-7-10-13-13-15-x

Top 40 hits from this album
03 NuMb ❄︎
37 New˛this

The master of ~interesting~ looking song titles, Swedish singer Andreas Wijk first came onto my radar in 2018 when our very own Harry sent him to BJSC, where I made a great discovery with FLAWS, a song that just missed out on my top 40 at the time. At the very end of 2018, I found he'd released an album, and I was really impressed. Packed full of moody pop, the most recent single at the time really stood out to me, leading to NuMb ❄︎ becoming his first (and so far, only) top 10 hit. The album blasted to #1 for 2 weeks, though it's been a while since I've given it a spin. Think I need to rectify that!

9 Camila Cabello - Romance | 1-2-3-…

01 Seńorita (Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello)
08 Shameless
13 Liar
21 My Oh My (feat. DaBaby)
24 Cry for Me
28 Easy
31 Living Proof

I really loved Camila Cabello's 2018 debut album Camila - it spent a huge 8 weeks at #1 in my album chart and housed the massive hit Havana. 2019 started well, too - two top 3 features, and lead single Seńorita became her first #1 as a soloist in my chart. However, things seemed to go downhill. Double singles Shameless and Liar charted in that order, though Shameless dropped fast and Liar hung around, never quite managing a top 10 peak. New single My Oh My is still climbing, though, and it's set for top 10 this week. It was the clear highlight of what ended up as a surprisingly solid album, though. It's a more diverse listen than Camila, though I don't think it quite reaches the same highs, Seńorita aside. Nevertheless, I'm really excited to hear the album on tour in June!

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Jan 2 2020, 08:44 PM
Post #47
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 18,293
   No Gallery Pics

Very happy to see Romance in your top 10. I can't stop listening to it.

I wasn't really feeling any of the of the songs she released after Shameless/Liar going into the album but they've all grew on my so much since it's release. Cry For Me & Living Proof are two of my all-time faves from her now biggrin.gif

I'm glad Mabel made your top 40 too although U haven't really gone back to it as much as I expected to.

+Quote Post
Brer
post Jan 2 2020, 08:52 PM
Post #48
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

I have heard 3 of these albums so far magic.gif Lana's and Billie's are both v solid albums, I think the latter has more individual songs that I love but I'd probably say I prefer Lana's out of the two as far as it being a cohesive unit (and it not having 'wish you were gay' on it helps x). Also heard Ed's album but eh xx

+Quote Post
Jason
post Jan 2 2020, 10:28 PM
Post #49
I've been looking for a Lasting Lover
Group: Members
Member No.: 3,149

A little bird told me Alec Benjamin will be big in your songs list. cheer.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 2 2020, 11:29 PM
Post #50
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

My favourite albums to appear so far are definitely those from Lana and Billie heart.gif I was taken aback by how much of a triumph the former was, Lana is five albums into her career now yet blew her previous few records out of the water just like that! A queen. I enjoyed it so much that I own it on both green and blue vinyl blush.gif I was definitely expecting to like Billie's album based on her racking up quite a few top 3 hits in my chart lately, but wow, it somehow outdid my expectations! 'My Strange Addiction' in particular is right up there with the actual singles. I think '8' was the only dud for me.

I also enjoyed 'Madame X' - songs like 'I Don't Search I Find' and 'God Control' show that she's still got it creatively wub.gif the BTS album was a pleasant surprise also, I checked it out on a whim as it was short, but yeah - not bad at all, 'Home' was the one that stuck with me the most!

I am such a flop Avril fan for still not checking out the album oops :x eventually kink.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Jan 3 2020, 04:02 AM
Post #51
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Extremely pleased to see One Day at a Time, The Fosters, The 100 & Stranger Things so high up in your TV chart wub.gif #jayrecommendations

Albums... ooh at Céline almost Top 10... her impact! heart.gif I consider it to be one of the strongest studio albums of her career, can't wait to see her live! Carly's Dedicated appears to be 20 places too low, gah! A mistake in your database like the OCC with Mariah's music video streams, I guess! cool2.gif I had a strong feeling that Claire's album would be up your street, I'm glad it connected with you wub.gif I'm fairly surprised by Lewis' low place / not hugely amazing chart run. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Sergej
post Jan 3 2020, 10:31 AM
Post #52
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,723
   No Gallery Pics

Hey Joseph!
So sorry, that I could comment on your Year-End list so far, I was very, very busy.
So let's fix that, shall we.
I'm starting with your albums, because I haven't watched a lot of TV shows and listened to that many EPs.
From your #40-31 section I like: "Cuz I Love You", "High Expectations", "Free Spirit", "A Place We Knew" and "No.6 Collaborations Project".
From your #30-21 section I like: "Norman f***ing Rockwell!", "Happiness Begins", "The Sun Will Come Up, The Seasons Will Change", "WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?" (Album of the Year for me), "Dedicated" and Freya Riding's self-titled album.
From your #20-11 section I like: "Highs & Lows", "Divinely Uninspired to a Hellish Extent", "Charli" and "Hurts 2B Human".
And from your top 10 I like only "Romance".
I can't comment on the other albums, because either I haven't heard them or I only heard a couple of songs of the other albums.
I enjoyed it so far!

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jan 3 2020, 02:28 PM
Post #53

Thanks everyone for the lovely replies!! Really appreciate them all wub.gif

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jan 3 2020, 02:36 PM
Post #54

8 Hunter Hayes - Wild Blue, Pt. 1 | 1-3-5-8-10-11-12-12-13-15-x

03 Wild Blue
09 One Shot
16 Dear God
23 One Good Reason
29 Heartbreak

Releasing his first (proper) album in 5 years, Hunter Hayes finally followed up the excellent Storyline with another really strong album. Though he's released a number of songs in the interim period, none of them lived up to the title track which I would definitely say is my favourite since 21 in 2015 at the very least, but more on that later in the songs countdown! Having released half the album in advance, Hunter only delivered a 10 track album, but the result was a concise effort that didn't feel bloated or overly long, especially with a Pt. 2 AND Pt. 3 apparently on the way at some point. One Shot is a brilliant uptempo effort and One Good Reason shows off just why he's so good at slower numbers (see songs like Wanted in the past). My favourite country album of the year for sure!

7 MARINA - LOVE + FEAR | 1-2-4-7-10-11-12-11-10-12-11-10-12-12-14-x-1-3-9-13-x

09 Baby (Clean Bandit feat. Marina & Luis Fonsi)
10 Handmade Heaven
28 Life Is Strange
31 Karma

Interestingly, Marina's singles chart impact has absolutely no bearing on just how much I ended up enjoying her LOVE + FEAR album. Handmade Heaven managed top 10 in one of the busiest weeks of the year (where new entries crowded the top 5 and Ally Brooke's #1 single fell a record-breaking 1-9...!), and after that I think we all became confused as to what was and wasn't a single, and the campaign began to feel messy. I must admit, my expectations were low anyway - I was never that big on Froot, despite loving the first two albums. That's why I was so pleasantly surprised by LOVE + FEAR. Perhaps it's a more commercial sound for Marina, but actually I think it works. I love the overall concept of the album, there's plenty of highlights that I return to, and seeing her live for the first time back in May, just a week after the album's release, really helped me love it. Seeing her again in November when I was more familiar with the album, with our own Lotti in tow, only helped seal my return to Marina love.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 3 2020, 05:12 PM
Post #55
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

I've heard quite a bit of the Marina album actually, some very nice tracks on there!

I don't think I realised Hunter Hayes released anything this year! Giving Wild Blue a listen now, not what I'm used to from him but certainly a very powerful song!

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jan 3 2020, 09:16 PM
Post #56

QUOTE(Shepeteherd @ Jan 3 2020, 05:12 PM) *
I've heard quite a bit of the Marina album actually, some very nice tracks on there!

I don't think I realised Hunter Hayes released anything this year! Giving Wild Blue a listen now, not what I'm used to from him but certainly a very powerful song!

Wild Blue is indeed quite different for him, but it works so well! Glad you like it, Pete biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jan 3 2020, 09:25 PM
Post #57

6 Ariana Grande - thank u, next | 1-2-1-2-3-7-10-9-10-12-9-12-12-14-x-2-8-11-x

01 7 rings
04 thank u, next
09 break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored
14 imagine
17 bloodline
24 MONOPOLY (Ariana Grande & Victoria Monét) [Japanese bonus track]

I must admit, I wasn't wowed by Ariana's Sweetener album as much as I wanted to be. It had the potential to be amazing, and the singles were great, but the full effort left me wanting more. Thankfully, her super quick follow-up thank u, next filled the void a lot better. The cohesion of thank u, next puts Sweetener to shame, with an overall higher quality present on the release too. Tracks like bloodline and bad idea bring the bops, while ghostin is one of her most raw tracks to date. It's a brilliant listen and it was great hearing it all live in the summer - my first time seeing Ariana, 2 years overdue! heart.gif

5 Ashley Tisdale - Symptoms | 1-2-5-9-10-11-10-9-10-9-9-8-10-13-15-11-14-14-x-13-x

06 Symptoms
09 Love Me & Let Me Go
13 Voices in My Head

I'm not sure I ever really expected to enjoy an Ashley Tisdale album so much, but Symptoms really clicked with me from first listen. Lead single Voices in My Head, which came out in late 2018, set the tone quite quickly: Ashley was going to be discussing her mental health, the ups and downs of how she feels, and she wasn't holding back. It's a theme that's present across the full 9-track release, kicking off with my favourite song, the title track, where Ashley sings about how it holds her back from committing to a relationship, and finishing with the uplifting Feeling So Good, a notably more uplifting song. My favourite album surprise of the year, and I'm really interested to see if Ashley continues her music comeback after how well Symptoms has been received!

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jan 4 2020, 06:24 PM
Post #58

4 Taylor Swift - Lover | 1-1-2-4-4-5-3-4-4-6-6-6-8-8-7-10-10-11-...

01 ME! (feat. Brendon Urie)
02 You Need to Calm Down
05 Lover (feat. Shawn Mendes)
21 Miss Americana & the Heartbreak Prince
28 Cruel Summer
37 The Archer
38 It's Nice to Have a Friend

We're making big leaps into the top 4 now, and Taylor Swift's latest album sees yet another strong effort from her. I'm a massive Taylor fan, she's one of my all-time favourite artists and she'd have to go majorly wrong to put me off, but she keeps delivering the quality. I actually really enjoyed reputation, but Lover's a step up. The sequencing isn't perfect but otherwise, despite the length, it's a well-crafted album. The title track is a Taylor classic already, and Taylor brilliantly discusses sexism in the fabulous The Man. My favourite non-single though has to be Miss America & the Heartbreak Prince, but there's many highlights and no hugely weak links either. I'd say it only trails Speak Now and 1989 in a ranking of her best albums.

3 Matteo Markus Bok - Cruisin' | 1-1-3-3-6-3-2-4-3-3-4-2-1-2-4-5-4-3-5-6-7-5-6-5-7-7-7-4-6-5-8-8-8-...

01 Besos Besos
01 El Ritmo (AHI AHI AHI)
01 In the Middle
01 Mrs Lonely
01 Shallow
03 Sayonara Arigatň
21 SLO-MO
37 A Promise

Yet another leap up now, because three albums really defined my 2019, and the first of which was the debut release by 16 year old Italian rising star Matteo Markus Bok. I first discovered Matteo at the end of 2017 with his track Just One Lie, and he subsequently fell off my radar until the following September despite releasing another track in between. I rediscovered him with the album's lead single El Ritmo, and I instantly loved it. Matteo's music is so feel-good, and unlike a lot of young male artists who have released pop music in the past, this really feels like the music he wants to be making. His music is carefree and lively, and Cruisin' is the perfect show. It became the first album in my chart's history to see all of its songs make my top 40, though the top 2 albums in this countdown followed suit too...! It also houses a whopping five number one singles, tying for the most #1 hits from a studio album alongside Iggy Azalea's Reclassified (and even then its status as a studio album is pretty debatable) and The Vamps' Meet The Vamps.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jan 4 2020, 10:23 PM
Post #59

The battle for my #1 album is between

GREYSON CHANCE

and

HARRY STYLES

Who's going to nab the #1? ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Jan 5 2020, 12:06 AM
Post #60
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,217

Harry Styles.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:46 AM