BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Liam's EOY 2019, Top 100 songs, top 25 albums
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post Dec 21 2019, 05:25 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Let's get started with the albums!

------

25 Camila Cabello - Romance
Highlights: My Oh My, Liar, Living Proof

This being so much than her debut in my end of year might constitute a disappointment, but on balance I don't think I'd say I'm disappointed at all. It shows a growth artistically, there's a certain sound she's sticking to and it makes the album as a whole body of work very cohesive. The highlights might not be as high as on her debut, but there are some, she just needs to find a balance between this cohesion and her debut's bangers to be even better!

24 Lil Nas X - 7
Highlights: Old Town Road, Rodeo, Bring U Down

Those who thought Old Town Road was a one-off novelty were in for a shock when this EP came around! There's country influences but also rock on Bring U Down for example, and a rap song worthy of his peers in Panini, but he's so much more interesting than pretty much all of his rap contemporaries for me. It was a total moment that he came out via C7osure (You Like) and this EP release too *.*

23 Maggie Rogers - Heard It In A Past Life
Highlights: Alaska, Light Off, Fallingwater

One of the best new talents of the year, this debut lives up to the potential Alaska promised when it emerged back in 2019. Her voice recalls Stevie Nicks, so there's a real heart and honesty but its the production that elevates the album for me, it might lose or overshadow her at times but it all ties together at the right times and make this a very promising debut from someone I can't wait to hear more of if Love You For A Long Time is anything to go by!

22 Vanessa Amorosi - Back To Life
Highlights: Hello Me, Heavy Lies The Head, Run

It was 10 years to the day since Hazardous when we finally a new Vanessa Amorosi album, with very little in between apart from a couple of false starts in the early 10s with Gossip and Amazing. Simply put, this will never set the world alight, it's quite "Spotify" but it's just so great to hear her again. With a voice like her especially, sometimes all you need is a collection of very good pop songs. There's variety enough that the album isn't a boring listen or a drag, I look forward to seeing which one she picks for Australia's Eurovision National Final!

21 Hannah Diamond - Reflections
Highlights: Fade Away, Concrete Angel, Make Believe

Finally we got a debut from Hannah Diamond this year, and it was worth the wait! It still feels like we've been visited by some future alien popstar serving us hyper-pop from a distant planet that's inspired by ours but I love every second of it. As always with PC Music, it feels like we're hearing the future of pop music, a future that at this point seems like it will never come, not commercially anyway.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Dec 21 2019, 05:31 PM
Post #2
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Vanessa Amorosi! I might check that out just out of curiosity lol.

Didn't realise Maggie put out an album either.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 21 2019, 06:03 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Lots of albums I can't say I know too much of! (although that;s not really a surprise as I think I listened to a grand total of four albums in full this year). Giving Concrete Angel a listen anyway, those robotic vocals and random beat changes really are something but it is interesting to listen to!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 23 2019, 01:53 PM
Post #4
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
I really like Romance!! The pre-release songs aren't necessarily among the strongest so that's probably why I'm surprised at my overall enjoyment but it's a very good follow-up to the debut!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Dec 24 2019, 11:20 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
20 Slayyter – Slayyter
Highlights: Alone, Mine, Candy

Kicking off my top 20 is a throwback queen, one inspired by not just 00s pop but 00s culture and this whole album feels like it's lost from the late 00s, particularly taking from Britney's Blackout. Sometimes the idea can overshadow the actual musicality but it all comes together for a refreshingly familiar but innovative album that makes me miss what pop used to be.

19 Post Malone - Hollywood's Bleeding
Highlights: Goodbyes, Take What You Want, Circles

On paper I should hate Posty but god does he know how to wheel out a tune, I feel so straight x Unlike his contemporaries, there's a lot of different influences in his music (like I said about Lil Nas X earlier) so there's something for everyone and whilst there's different sounds, it fits together and feels like Post all the time, with those signature choruses that won't leave your head.

18 Miranda Lambert - Wildcard
Higlights: Mess With My Head, Bluebird, Tequila Does

Usually Miranda releasing guarantees her top 10 EOY album but alas </3 This isn't her best but it is of course great or it wouldn't be here! As always, whilst they're country songs that fit on radio and don't innovate, they feel distinctly like her songs and you can't imagine anyone else singing them. Mess With My Head is probably her poppiest to date (in a late 90s Shania way) which I love *.*

17 Marina - Love + Fear
Highlights: Karma, Handmade Heaven, Enjoy Your Life

This is another one that whilst great was a bit of a disappointment compared to the absolute highs of her past few albums, but of course when you isolate it on its own, it's a great album. I loved the idea of her separating it into two halves and giving us the Love part first, there is a distinction between the two when you listen. A bit like I said about Romance earlier, it has the cohesion to make up for not having as high highs as her other albums and overall it's great.

16 Badflower - Ok, I'm Sick
Highlights: Ghost, x ANA x, Heroin

Ghost was one of my best discoveries of 2018 in all its raw, emotive glory so I was always excited by a Badflower album! This is a great debut, dabbling in a few different areas of rock and emo while still feeling right for them, but their strength is the emotive punch the songs have no matter whether they're a raw ballad, a punchy rock track or whatever else, the lyrics shine and the well written song around them is the icing on the cake.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Dec 25 2019, 12:12 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
QUOTE(JingleBellJüpes @ Dec 21 2019, 05:31 PM) *
Vanessa Amorosi! I might check that out just out of curiosity lol.

Didn't realise Maggie put out an album either.

Would definitely recommend both!

QUOTE(Shepeteherd @ Dec 21 2019, 06:03 PM) *
Lots of albums I can't say I know too much of! (although that;s not really a surprise as I think I listened to a grand total of four albums in full this year). Giving Concrete Angel a listen anyway, those robotic vocals and random beat changes really are something but it is interesting to listen to!

That's Hannah for you, she just chucks whatever and makes it work *.*

QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 23 2019, 01:53 PM) *
I really like Romance!! The pre-release songs aren't necessarily among the strongest so that's probably why I'm surprised at my overall enjoyment but it's a very good follow-up to the debut!

Yeah definitely, I was expecting less than we got given what we had to base our expectations off of!

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post Dec 25 2019, 02:00 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 12,837
I admittedly haven't really checked out Marina's new album outside of the two or three songs that popped up in my release radar on spotify. Handmade Heaven is the only one I remember but it was a big let down for me given how amazing her previous three albums were. She's one of my all time fav artists but I hate that I haven't been able to get into this album yet.

Camila's new album is great! My personal faves are Liar, Shameless and Cry For Me!

+Quote this post
Calum
post Dec 26 2019, 04:37 PM
Post #8
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316
Great to see Camila, Lil Nas X and Post Malone in here!! heart.gif

I feel like most of my favourites from Romance are the songs we got before the album was released - Shameless, Cry For Me, Easy, but there are some gems they kept back. Namely Dream of You, This Love and First Man - all lush tracks. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Dec 27 2019, 05:35 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
15 Jessica Mauboy - Hilda
Highlights: Little Things, Selfish, Come Running

This album turned out much better than the pre-release songs would have suggested thank god! Nothing was better than Little Things, but I feel like the pre-release songs following that were just rehashes of it, but we got some bops which is where Jess always shines. Not her best but a strong album that shows growth and maturity.

14 Bring Me The Horizon - Amo
Highlights: Nihlist Blues, Manta, Medicine

BMTH always floated just outside of my usual tastes but after loving the singles I checked this album out and I didn't regret it at all! It's one of those great albums that goes in a totally different direction and takes a band to a new level without leaving behind their heart or roots. There's something for their old fans but the electronic sounds really drew me in in a way I never experienced with their other albums.

13 Madonna – Madame X
Highlights: Faz Gostoso, Medellin, God Control

She might have been hti and miss this decade (let's just forget most of MDNA x) but this proves that even 35 years into her career, Madonna can still reinvent herself with the best of them. This album is largely dark and experimental, with influences from Portugese fado as well as Latin pop, but with flecks of familiar disco and pop sounds we expect from Madonna.

12 Kim Petras - Clarity
Highlights: Icy, Sweet Spot, Personal Hell

In a landscape of Ed Sheerans, we always long for some perfect pure pop and Kim came through *.* It's got influences from different corners, like hip-hop, glam rock and R&B but it's all remiscent of pop's golden era of the 00s, in a way similar to Slayyter's album but in a way that's more effective and even more catchy.

11 Maren Morris - Girl
Highlights: The Bones, Girl, A Song For Everything

Just missing the top 10 is this country sophomore effort from Maren Morris, one that I was initially pretty disappointed with. With The Middle smashing, I kind of thought she was going to do a Taylor Swift and explode as a pop artist, but this is still an ambitious follow-up. It has many influences, contrary to being a country album like it seems on the surface, without being a jump the shark moment. This is one of those albums where the more I heard it, the more I pulled from the songs and the more I enjoyed it, and got over my disappointment, phew.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Dec 27 2019, 05:36 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
QUOTE(cantthinkofapun @ Dec 25 2019, 02:00 PM) *
I admittedly haven't really checked out Marina's new album outside of the two or three songs that popped up in my release radar on spotify. Handmade Heaven is the only one I remember but it was a big let down for me given how amazing her previous three albums were. She's one of my all time fav artists but I hate that I haven't been able to get into this album yet.

Camila's new album is great! My personal faves are Liar, Shameless and Cry For Me!

I get you, she set such a precedent and it was really hard not to listen to Love + Fear with the others in mind, but I enjoyed it more when I let that expectation go!

QUOTE(Calum @ Dec 26 2019, 04:37 PM) *
Great to see Camila, Lil Nas X and Post Malone in here!! heart.gif

I feel like most of my favourites from Romance are the songs we got before the album was released - Shameless, Cry For Me, Easy, but there are some gems they kept back. Namely Dream of You, This Love and First Man - all lush tracks. wub.gif

Easy is my least fave oops but yas to the rest

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Dec 28 2019, 01:29 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
10 Sam Fender - Hypersonic Missiles

Highlights: Hypersonic Missiles, Play God, Will We Talk?

Kicking off our top 10 with some testosostorone is the best male album of the year for me, the anticipated debut by Critics' Choice winner Sam Fender! I find him so refreshing to the usual British stereotype of "gruff voiced acoustic white boy" who easily smashes such as Tom Walker, his songs sound epic and are far more rousing, they might recall acts sch as The Killers or Bruce Springsteen a little too vividly at times but there's not much filler, only a couple of duds. White Privilege is a serve as well as the highlights I listed due to its lyrics especially, the Youtube comments have white boys with said privilege in abundance PRESSED laugh.gif

09 Molly Sanden - Det bästa kanske inte hänt än

Highlights: Den som e den, Det bästa kanske inte hänt än, Va det da?

Molly had a great 2019 with what is to me her best album to date! Since going Swedish language, Molly has carved out a niche with her impeccable lyrically and melodically driven pop that fits perfectly on Spotify without being that usual identikit generic Spotify fodder that plagues a lot of payola playlists. As it's a language I don't understand, it's all about the sound aesthetic for me and the production is absolutely excellent with melodies that pierce language barriers, this is great pop I'd recommend to any pop fan. It's one of those albums that is such a solid set of songs all together, but it doesn't sacrifice the highlights as there are strong pop songs that stand on their own, most notably the three I mentioned as highlights.

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 28 2019, 05:27 PM
Post #12
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
I think Hypersonic Missiles is the only Sam Fender song I've really paid that much attention to but it is a good one, if only he could have cracked the Top 40 this year sad.gif
Giving the Molly Sanden song you linked a play now, it is I guess the Europop sound I'm quite used to but that's not a bad thing at all.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Dec 30 2019, 10:49 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
08 Charli XCX - Charli
Highlights: Gone, Shake It, 1999

It goes without saying that the mixtapes were incred, but it was a long time waiting for Charli's third studio album, 5 years! The mixtapes were already doing her own thing in her own lane, but this takes that to the next level with an ambitious and experimental set of songs, peppered with songs that show her knack for pop. There's a few misses and it's not for everyone but I just love her artistry and the way she tries so many things nobody else would on one album, whilst still making it feel like a collection of songs that fit together. I do tend to prefer her at her pop best but I do love Shake It for how bizarre and unique it is!

07 Caroline Polachek - Pang
Highlights: So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings, Door, Hit Me Where It Hurts

A huge gay Twitter fave of 2019, it's easy to see why. I feel like this album is what I wanted Carly to do with Dedicated, it's got a timeless kind of feel that's a bit reminiscent of say Fleetwood Mac, but it's pure pop at the same time and also feels innovative and futuristic thanks to flecks of PC Music. I wish I checked this out sooner and loved it for more of 2019 because it's such a great pop album.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Dec 30 2019, 10:49 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
QUOTE(Shepeteherd @ Dec 28 2019, 05:27 PM) *
I think Hypersonic Missiles is the only Sam Fender song I've really paid that much attention to but it is a good one, if only he could have cracked the Top 40 this year sad.gif
Giving the Molly Sanden song you linked a play now, it is I guess the Europop sound I'm quite used to but that's not a bad thing at all.

Maybe next era, I guess he's more of an albums artist but still I agree!
Yaass bop

+Quote this post
Riser
post Dec 31 2019, 12:05 AM
Post #15
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
So glad you included A Song For Everything as a highlight for Maren, lyrically it's my fave of hers now as crazy as that seems! wub.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Jan 2 2020, 03:27 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
QUOTE(Riser @ Dec 31 2019, 12:05 AM) *
So glad you included A Song For Everything as a highlight for Maren, lyrically it's my fave of hers now as crazy as that seems! wub.gif

It's so cute <3

+Quote this post
Sergej
post Jan 3 2020, 01:43 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,723
Hey Liam!
Here are my favourite albums from your list so far:
11 Maren Morris - Girl
08 Charli XCX - Charli

Great list so far, can't wait for the rest!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Jan 3 2020, 11:53 PM
Post #18
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
06 FKA Twigs - Magdalene
Highlights: Cellophane, Sad Day, Fallen Alien

Just missing the top 5 is one of the most critically acclaimed albums of the year. This totally feels like if Kate Bush released an album in 2019, it's so idiosyncratic, raw, vulnerable and fragile but a powerful revalation. It's so simple yet so complex, there's such a twister of emotions that informs everything here and you feel all of it.

05 Ariana Grande - thank u, next
Highlights: Bad Idea, thank u next, 7 Rings

One of the biggest albums of the year next, as Ariana whipped out another triumph of an album barely half a year after Sweetener! I can never really decide which I like best, this lacks any highs as good as No Tears Left To Cry but it's so much more consistent without jarring Pharrell production. There's a lot of personal content given the death of Mac Miller and her split with Pete, it made sense to release a new album given she'd be in such a different place, and it shows.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Jan 3 2020, 11:54 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
QUOTE(Sergej @ Jan 3 2020, 01:43 PM) *
Hey Liam!
Here are my favourite albums from your list so far:
11 Maren Morris - Girl
08 Charli XCX - Charli

Great list so far, can't wait for the rest!

Thanks!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Jan 4 2020, 12:22 AM
Post #20
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
04 Lizzo - 'Cuz I Love You
Highlights: Truth Hurts, Good As Hell, Tempo

One of the big success stories of the year and the queen of sleeper hits *.* I mean the first two aren't technically even on the album, but there's plenty of highlights besides. This is such an ecletic album that has a bit of funk, a bit of soul, a bit of pop, a bit of R&B, she dabbles in a lot and masters pretty much of all it showing her star potential, sass and powerful self-empowerment messages. Like A Girl or Soulmate to be an actual current single hit for her now she's dug up her oldies plz x

03 Nina Nesbitt - The Sun Will Come Up, The Seasons Will Change
Highlights: Is It Really Me You're Missing, Loyal To Me, Love Letter

I loved her first album but this was one of the biggest surprises of the year for me! It feels like she's coming of age as an artist on this album, with a sound you wouldn't expect but one that's seen her lyricism shine and her creativity blossom. IIRMYM genuinely feels like it could be a monster ballad hit for a big artist, which isn't surprising given she wrote it with Rihanna in mind, and there's so many pop melodies that will stick in your head on tracks like Love Letter, The Moments I'm Missing and Loyal To Me. The fact she can serve introspective acoustic tracks and give us 90s R&B sass vibes on the same album is nothing if not impressive *.*

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:51 PM