BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 2022 United States Midterms
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post 5th November 2022, 01:50 AM
Post #1
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

Thought about bumping the general US thread but this fits with what we did last time. Significant elections impact the United States on Tuesday, and with them, the likelihood of markets staying stable and the Biden administration able to get things done in face of the rise of Republican fascism.

Also I've been unable as ever to stay off sites like 538 which have very fun prediction maps. See here: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-election-forecast/

The elections are for one-third of the Senate, the entire House of Representatives and a large number of governorships, plus many statewide races, so if you're American there's lots to vote for.

Currently:
Senate is 50-50, with Kamala Harris breaking ties as VP, this means that the Democrats haven't been able to get much done as shitlords blue conservatives called Manchin and Sinema have been blocking anything remotely progressive

House has a narrow Democrat majority, but now face a redistricted map.

Many of the governorships are in Republican hands, as well as a large majority of state legislatures and of course the Supreme Court. The supposed Democrat trifecta is about as weak as a trifecta can be.

Biden himself has pretty bad approval ratings.

Projections:
Democrats were favoured to take the Senate to a small majority in the summer with pickups swinging their way, but the races have narrowed and the Senate outcome is essentially a tossup, entirely depends on what happens on the day.

Democrats are widely expected to lose the House which of course ends in gridlock on Capitol Hill.

Governors are probably less dramatic and will get less media attention but there could be some changes which means some states stuck with Republicans making their laws.

Key races

John Fetterman vs Mehmet Oz (Pennsylvania)

Probably the highest profile race, Pennsylvania's Senate race has gotten a lot of attention as assuming no other changes to the map, it gives Democrats their 51st seat so one Manchin can't block progress (Manchin and Sinema still can, but that's by the by). You have Fetterman, a small-town former mayor with essentially the politics of Bernie Sanders and a large imposing physique (don't underestimate this selling point) against TV doctor and celeb Mehmet Oz, promoter of pseudoscience and unsurprisingly a conservative Republican. Like Trump. Until recently I'd have said that Fetterman had a huge advantage and he probably still does, but unfortunately he suffered a stroke in the summer and there was a widely publicised debate in which he was, unfortunately barely coherent up against Oz's media-trained experience. Though Fetterman's campaign still lucked out and got Oz saying 'an abortion should be between the woman, her doctor and her local political leaders', plus they are way better at emphasising that Oz is a parachuted candidate who doesn't live in Pennsylvania.

It's the big race to watch in any case.

Raphael Warnock vs Herschel Walker (Georgia)
Georgia's late-arriving Senators that got the Democrats their Senate in 2020 have a test too. Warnock was elected on a special election so he has to fight again. His opponent is former NFL player Herschel Walker, again a trend of Republicans relying on former celebrities gone conservative politicians. It's a good pick, though this time it's the Democrats who by far have the better speaker. I am having it down that Warnock will squeak home, Walker's had his own scandals and up against a squeaky-clean pastor like Warnock, the right candidate should prevail. 538 has this more likely of a Republican win than Democrat but my prediction would be Georgia is more likely to hold than Pennsylvania is a win.

Mark Kelly Vs Blake Masters (Arizona)
Former astronaut Kelly up against Zuckerberg lookalike Masters, I think this should be a safe Democrat hold but Arizona is where there have been most reports of "ballot guards", so watch out for news from here.

Catherine Cortez Masto vs Adam Paul Laxalt (Nevada)
Barely getting as much attention as other close Senate races but this is also a tossup, the Democrats could lose an incumbent here too.

Senate-wise, Longshots for Democrats include Ohio, North Carolina and Wisconsin, which all COULD flip but are unlikely as things stand, where as if the Democrats have a really bad night, they could lose New Hampshire, Colorado or Washington.

For House seats, there's so many more and they aren't as high profile, so I would pick Alaska's race, a rematch of the August special election and one that could well see new congresswoman Mary Peltola see off Sarah Palin again, would be a big morale boost to hold the House seat in a state that is otherwise very red.

American posters, share your thoughts and feelings about the elections here, everyone else, these will be key in how Biden continues for the next few years and the Democrat chances of retaining the presidency in 2024. Also Biden so far has, whatever else he's done (most of it good as far as presidents go) has been the best American president for foreign policy in my lifetime.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brer
post 5th November 2022, 03:04 AM
Post #2
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

I have been trying not to think too much about these and am just hoping we'll find out in a few days that the polls are currently underestimating the Dems by as much as they overestimated them last time. Because if not, we're coming for some very very bad news. (The House feels as good as gone already - which is already potentially disastrous in itself - and I am seriously concerned about the Senate too now after the recent Fetterman/Oz debate and whatever the fuck has gone wrong in Nevada)

+Quote this post
dhwe
post 5th November 2022, 07:03 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 21,384

I haven't been following the polling too closely re: Fetterman/Oz bc after the last few election cycles I can no longer really stomach the whole statistical crystal ball game. I will say, as a PA voter (who will extremely vote for Fetterman), there's a few things to consider. Fetterman always had the enthusiasm advantage, and he brought out whatever was left of the spark in a lot of leftist folk I know who have been increasingly disenchanted with electoral politics. It's kind of the mini-Bernie effect like Iz said, a lot of them probably would have sat out this election altogether if a more centrist nominee like Conor Lamb had been nominated. Otoh, Oz is kind of a run-of-the-mill Republican, whatever that means in 2022: not as Trumpy as Mastriano, but probably further right than he would've been a decade ago. An outsider to politics, but well-known either way. He doesn't really have the energy of Trump's base behind him, bc he can't quite shake the image of like... a milquetoast daytime TV personality, and not a scorched earth outright fascist like Mastriano. And everyone else in the Republican camp is seemingly lining up out of a sense of obligation.

That's why I don't think the debate is as disastrous for Fetterman as it could've been. Right now they're in a dead heat, and polls were due to tighten anyway as Election Day nears. If it was a consistent 5+ lead for Oz I'd be more concerned.

And another thing, if Shapiro is leading Mastriano by double-digits in the gubernatorial race, that might lift Fetterman a bit if enough undecided people vote down the party line.

This post has been edited by dhwija board: 5th November 2022, 07:04 AM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 5th November 2022, 07:34 AM
Post #4
Group icon

QUOTE(dhwija board @ Nov 5 2022, 07:03 AM) *
I haven't been following the polling too closely re: Fetterman/Oz bc after the last few election cycles I can no longer really stomach the whole statistical crystal ball game. I will say, as a PA voter (who will extremely vote for Fetterman), there's a few things to consider. Fetterman always had the enthusiasm advantage, and he brought out whatever was left of the spark in a lot of leftist folk I know who have been increasingly disenchanted with electoral politics. It's kind of the mini-Bernie effect like Iz said, a lot of them probably would have sat out this election altogether if a more centrist nominee like Conor Lamb had been nominated. Otoh, Oz is kind of a run-of-the-mill Republican, whatever that means in 2022: not as Trumpy as Mastriano, but probably further right than he would've been a decade ago. An outsider to politics, but well-known either way. He doesn't really have the energy of Trump's base behind him, bc he can't quite shake the image of like... a milquetoast daytime TV personality, and not a scorched earth outright fascist like Mastriano. And everyone else in the Republican camp is seemingly lining up out of a sense of obligation.

That's why I don't think the debate is as disastrous for Fetterman as it could've been. Right now they're in a dead heat, and polls were due to tighten anyway as Election Day nears. If it was a consistent 5+ lead for Oz I'd be more concerned.

And another thing, if Shapiro is leading Mastriano by double-digits in the gubernatorial race, that might lift Fetterman a bit if enough undecided people vote down the party line.

Very interesting analysis, thank you, good to hear some perspectives from someone who's actually there! I had seen that Pennsylvania's governorship was far less close and if that is an easy win for Shapiro then it may well help Fetterman. We can hope.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 5th November 2022, 06:32 PM
Post #5
Group icon

I do think Fetterman probably wins at the end of the day (though not by as big a margin as it looked like he would a few months ago) but I just can't believe we're in a world where PA is even considering electing Dr. goddamn Oz.

Nevada and Georgia are the ones I'm more worried about - we could potentially have Dems winning PA, Reps winning NV and GA going to a runoff to decide the Senate once again.

But yanno what do I know

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post 5th November 2022, 09:06 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272

The scariest thing about these elections is that some of them are for people who will preside over the next presidential election. A lot of the Republicans running for posts which will give them a major role in declaring the next presidential election result buy into Trump's evidence-free claim that he won in 2020. Some of them have come very close to declaring that they will call the result for the Republican candidate regardless of how people voted.

+Quote this post
dhwe
post 5th November 2022, 10:50 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 21,384

QUOTE(Dr. Bré @ Nov 5 2022, 02:32 PM) *
I do think Fetterman probably wins at the end of the day (though not by as big a margin as it looked like he would a few months ago) but I just can't believe we're in a world where PA is even considering electing Dr. goddamn Oz.

tbh at this point I’m long past the point of disbelief lol. dr oz isn’t even the worst candidate running for congress, so many republican nominees this year are qanon-adjacent troglodytes

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 5th November 2022, 10:59 PM
Post #8
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Nov 5 2022, 09:06 PM) *
The scariest thing about these elections is that some of them are for people who will preside over the next presidential election. A lot of the Republicans running for posts which will give them a major role in declaring the next presidential election result buy into Trump's evidence-free claim that he won in 2020. Some of them have come very close to declaring that they will call the result for the Republican candidate regardless of how people voted.

Indeed, and the scariest thing is the world's biggest nuclear power potentially descending into civil war.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 8th November 2022, 12:59 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

You would think having had Trump in for one term, people would be careful so that they wouldn't let in more evil fascists in future but it looks like the USA is getting a whole host of new ones from tonight..

Just hope polling is wrong and there's a huge Youthquake USA so ended if not.

This post has been edited by Smint: 8th November 2022, 01:00 PM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 8th November 2022, 01:21 PM
Post #10
Group icon

on the bright side, a whole host of new voting stats to analyze!

no but it will be quite bad, the national picture has been swinging away from Democrats and Biden looks weak on the economy.

+Quote this post
neill2407
post 8th November 2022, 02:21 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 159,650

QUOTE(Smint @ Nov 8 2022, 12:59 PM) *
You would think having had Trump in for one term, people would be careful so that they wouldn't let in more evil fascists in future but it looks like the USA is getting a whole host of new ones from tonight..

Just hope polling is wrong and there's a huge Youthquake USA so ended if not.

Not sure if what’s happening in the USA is that different to the UK? I mean we have had 12 years of a terrible Tory government who are right wing and pursued Brexit.

+Quote this post
Smint
post 8th November 2022, 05:49 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 124,514

Well I'm the first to admit that UK politics is awful (although still hope the Tories will get the boot in 2024/5) but USA is another set of evil entirely - refusal to accept results of incredibly decisive elections, minors who have been raped forced to have their children, intimidation using weapons at polling stations, Q Anon conspiracy theories gone wild. The UK doesn't have guns and (much) "God" (well their warped version of it) so won't be as bad relatively speaking.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 8th November 2022, 06:27 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Everything is just so polarised in the world in general currently mainly stemming from the 2008 financial crisis that the entrenched positions will be hard to soften. Then the current economic crisis will polarised things further!

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 8th November 2022, 06:32 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

Shouldn't have cheated the MOST POPULAR CANDIDATE SINCE OBAMA out of thr nomination AGAIN FOR ANOTHRR neoliberal, Democrat! If they're gonna call you communists, no matter what, then you may as well be radical and improve things and be seen fighting.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 9th November 2022, 12:19 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

The first figures looking like depressing reading for the Dems with the senate race in Georgia showing a stronger showing in Atlanta county than expected in a very pro democrat part of the state

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 9th November 2022, 12:27 AM
Post #16
Group icon

The most major figures are out of Florida so far, where we have 44% of the votes with the Dems up about 3 points from where they were predicted to be. Though it looks like those are mostly from Orlando and Miami. Only mild hopium.

Similarly we have Warnock well ahead in Georgia but that seems to be off of Atlanta votes mainly. And it could all swing another way very easily.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 9th November 2022, 02:45 AM
Post #17
Group icon

So far it looks like Florida is going full Florida but the Dems are doing ok pretty much everywhere else (though it's a bit early). Trying not to follow this too obsessively for my own health but it's hard to entirely avoid the pull of the doomscroll.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 9th November 2022, 03:37 AM
Post #18
Group icon

FiveThirtyEight implying there's a not-entirely-impossible chance Lauren Boebert might lose her seat which would be a huge upset and yeeting out one of the most extreme Trumpians in the House. Even if Dems still lose the House overall (they will) can we at least have that pls.

(and for what it's worth the betting odds on PredictIt.org, which were previously pretty heavily predicting Reps to win both houses, have now shifted pretty solidly to a prediction of D Senate/R House)

Republicans only need to flip a net of 5 House seats to win and so far they've already flipped 3, although they are all mainly because of new gerrymandering (I think there'll be a few flips in the other direction for the same reason), too early for any more meaningful flips to be confirmed yet I guess.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 9th November 2022, 04:20 AM
Post #19
Group icon

QUOTE(Dr. Bré @ Nov 9 2022, 02:45 AM) *
So far it looks like Florida is going full Florida but the Dems are doing ok pretty much everywhere else (though it's a bit early). Trying not to follow this too obsessively for my own health but it's hard to entirely avoid the pull of the doomscroll.

Yeah, don't doom. Best in situations like these to consume as much as you feel able to.

for me though, I want more, I always want more.

Looks decent for the Dems since I came back although I'm nervous Walker's going to edge over the line in Georgia and Oz will catch Fetterman.

+Quote this post
Brer
post 9th November 2022, 04:25 AM
Post #20
Group icon

I wouldn't worry about Fetterman now. He's apparently beating Biden's margins across the state. The PA governor race is also already called for the Dems, although that was not looking as close in the polls anyway but still great news.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna head to bed now, I don't feel as much doom as I expected, yay

(still a bit doom, we're about to see the House impeach Biden about 10 times for shits and giggles)

+Quote this post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 09:23 AM