BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
29 Pages V  « < 24 25 26 27 28 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jade's favourite top 40 hits of each year ● 1997 onwards, 2005: 40-21 posted
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post 23rd March 2021, 06:34 PM
Post #501
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

QUOTE(Mack. @ Mar 19 2021, 12:05 AM) *
'Call On Me' is good from Eric Prydz but two of his from 2007 and 2008 are better. 'Red Blooded Woman' great from Kylie, different sound from her but it worked well for her and it is a tune from her. 'Milkshake' probably didn't appreciate it at the time but what a tune it is from Kelis. A R&B classic. 'Mr Brightside' possibly one of my favourite songs, could never tire of it, it is a classic. 'Flashdance' what a song that is that sample is fantastic, I think 'Faster Kill Pussycat' by Paul Oakenfold ft Brittany Murphy sampled it as well?

Hey there Mack hi.gif heart.gif

Glad you're enjoying the whole section! Especially Kylie as that seems to get a hard time in her AF for some reason. Pleased that you appreciate 'Milkshake' more nowadays too - I'd say the same actually. I had no idea about 'Faster Kill Pussycat' borrowing from it, will need to re-listen to that, I really like that song too laugh.gif

thank you for commenting <3

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Mar 21 2021, 02:56 PM) *
Next batch of 10 smile.gif

Lose My Breath hit 7 in my personal charts and top 60 for the year, a pretty good effort for a final comeback. I still regret not insisting on going to the Florida Mall in the late 90's when they did a PA just before they broke huge, while I was on holiday laugh.gif

McFly didn't impress me much for a long time (not fanbase age-group etc) and it took them 4 years to get a top 20 out of me - but their recent stuff is really good! I didn't even bother to chart 5 Colours, oops!

My My My was OK, falling short of my top 40, though not a patch on You Don't Know Me, and that goes double, if not treble for Out Of Touch - I was a big fan of Hall & Oates original, and miffed it was never a big UK hit (Huge in the USA) but the repetitive-sampled cover just rubbed me the wrong way, I guess, as it peaked at 73 for me laugh.gif

Rachel Stevens grabbed another top 10 for me, and year-end top 100, with Some Girls, I really liked her pop singles, shame her career was so short!

Call On Me, oops here we go again, another dance cover that annoyed me, only this time I was never a huge fan of Valerie, either, in the first place, but much preferred it to this, sorry! Peaked at 75 for me. laugh.gif

Kylie. Of course I like it! Top 75 of the year and peaked at 7, Red Blooded Woman. Kelis was a pop culture moment, shaking her milkshake to the boys in the yard. Being immune to that sort of thing, top 40 was the best I could offer, though biggrin.gif

Goodness I'm clearly losing touch with the 2004 pop scene as Mr Brightside didn't chart for me (maybe related to events that year putting me not in the mood for stuff like The Killers, cos I went big on them for the next single, and bought the album in Florida. I know I hated their name when I first heard it). It has charted top 20 for me since, but Greatest Record Of The Noughties?! I still don't get it! Not even in my top 30 Brandon Flowers/Killers tracks. I'll take Somebody Told Me (coming up in 2005 cheer.gif ) and All These Things That I've Done any day of the week...

And finally, one I don't recall. Flashdance, I have no memory of whatsoever. Yet it charted for me at 55 and had a 7-week run. Playing it now. Ooh yes this sounds good, I under-rated it, I could go for that on a dancefloor, hypnotic rhythm but not annoyingly repetitive, variations on a theme rather than the same sample on endless loop.

Hey there John hi.gif heart.gif

I enjoyed reading your catch-up thoughts as usual! I did think that the loopy dance songs might divide opinion laugh.gif they seem to have their fans in the dance forum, naturally, but I've noticed negativity towards 'Call On Me' especially in the 2000s forum. I do like them but have to agree that 'Flashdance' pips 'em for being more interesting - so glad that this countdown inspired you to revisit it <3 I'm also happy that you're appreciative of the female pop moments here too such as Rachel and Kylie, like I just said to Mack, it seems to get a hard time in the Kylie AF on this site for some reason, so I'm happy to have found more fans on here. Rachel's career was definitely too short - her last charting single got to #12, which isn't spectacular, but not a total disaster, so it's a shame that she didn't carry on. Oops, poor 'Mr Brightside', although I do agree that 'Somebody Told Me' is superior and very much look forward to discussing that one for 2005 *.*

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 23rd March 2021, 11:36 PM
Post #502
Group icon
Alone and wounded

25. The Pirates - You Should Really Know (feat. Enya, Shola Ama, Naila Boss & Ishani)
(chart-run: 8-9-13-20-24-36-50-72)

24. Kylie Minogue - Chocolate
(chart-run: 6-18-27-33-40-45-57)

23. Gwen Stefani - What You Waiting For?
(chart-run: 4-8-11-10-12-14-11-12-15-17-29-45-66-75R(12)-72)

22. Keane - Somewhere Only We Know
(chart-run: 3-8-14-16-20-26-32-44-54-64-67-72)

21. The Rasmus - In The Shadows
(chart-run: 3-3-5-6-8-10-9-13-19-24-29-32-40-45-59-75)

Kicking off today's section is a single that feels very 2004! Rewind back to this time and answer songs were all the rage. Of course we had both Eamon and Frankee topping the chart with their expletive spat. I'm personally not a fan of either. Elsewhere, we had another heated discussion happening but delivered in a far more chilled way. The original 'I Don't Wanna Know' came from Mario Winans featuring P. Diddy. This was a record about not being able to deal with the pain of potential cheating. It was a smash hit as it peaked at #1 here in the U.K. and #2 over in the States. The response came from producers The Pirates with help from Shola Ama on singing duties and Naila Boss rapping. I presume Ishani is the one who is behind the spoken male intro. It also samples 'Boadicea' by Enya, much like the original and plenty of other songs, hence the credit to her. This follow-up was less successful as it failed to chart in the U.S. and reached a more humble, but still good, #8 here. Fun fact, Naila Boss' chart history in the U.K. is book-ended with two #8 features (the other being 'It Can't Be Right' by 2Play feat. Raghav and her) and a #65 position slotted in the middle for her solo effort. Poor Naila, well, I enjoy her contribution to this even if I'm not familiar with those other songs. The public may have been more on board with the Mario original but I much prefer this version. This response from the female perspective is about how she hasn't cheated. In fact, his best friend tried to make a move on her but she rejected it. She kept schtum due to the close nature of their relationship. But she's innocent and devoted to him. I think Shola's delivery is soulful and beautiful while I find the original more flat. Naila's part breaks it up nicely too. The Arabic vocal samples help this to stand out more to me as well. I also really like the guitar and percussion in the production. There's a very passionate yet moody vibe that is only amplified by the ever haunting Enya sample. The video and artwork are both very simple for a surprisingly intricate response song. The nature of this creation isn't particularly original but they gave it a really good go. The Pirates, nor Ishani, never quite had a charting follow-up. Enya and Shola Ama of course have respectable chart histories although neither piggy-backed on the success of this in the U.K.

At #24 we have Kylie's final appearance from the 'Body Language' era! 'Chocolate' was released as the third single from this album following 'Slow' and 'Red Blooded Woman'. It became a whopping 27th top 10 single for Kylie here in the U.K. thanks to bagging a #6 peak. I must admit that back in the day I definitely would've ranked 'Red Blooded Woman' ahead of this. But 'Chocolate' has really wormed its way into my affections in a big way over time and now I adore it. I suppose I had to succumb to it eventually when I'm such a 'Slow' fan. 'Red Blooded Woman' was a fast-paced stop gap between two more downbeat, sizzling synth moments. 'Chocolate' illustrates Kylie's obsession with love through this delicious imagery. Some of the lyrics are really cheeky though, such as: "In a heart shape come around me and then melt me slowly down", yet Kylie makes it surprisingly classy, especially when coupled with the video. The aesthetics are stunning as Kylie pays tribute to old musicals from American media company Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. This results in mesmerising choreography including ballet. The moves were conjured up by the same team as the 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' video and they do a magnificent job once more, as this combination of dance and an addictive disco beat really works. That production style is quite commonplace for Kylie but it's also mixed with funk influence, such as brass instruments. That only adds to the classy factor. Kylie delivers this in quite a breathy fashion which really plays to her strengths. This is frankly ageing like fine wine and deserves way more attention than it actually gets. I know I was guilty of underrating it myself for years despite being quite exposed to Now 58. But the combination of synths and sweet treats had to creep up on me eventually. This may be the end of the road for the 'Body Language' era but Kylie also finished off the year with a standalone single! Will that make the cut? Stay tuned...

Next is a song that is relevant on BuzzJack right now! Gwen Stefani just won our AF Idol spin-off 2.0 and her victory lap in the final round was with this - 'What You Waiting For?'. This single is incredibly nostalgic for me as it kicked off the first ever Now album that I owned, Now 60. Up until then I'd been listening to my parents' CDs and later on bought earlier editions retrospectively. I'd developed enough of an interest in music by the time 60 was released to want it myself. I recall also owning this song through the Pop Party 3 compilation. It really takes me back to listening to my MP3 player as I wouldn't get an iPod for another few years, good times. Gwen has already appeared in my countdown as part of No Doubt and as a feature on Eve's 'Let Me Blow Ya Mind'. However, 'What You Waiting For?' was her proper solo launch as the lead single from 'Love. Angel. Music. Baby.'. The song was inspired by Gwen's own writer's block that is documented in the music video. She had been pressured to record solo music and reluctantly agreed. But she hadn't been truly ready yet and suffered an emotional breakdown as a result. However, she'd come back to it and the inspiration was eventually there. The beginning of the song is an emotional tribute to her No Doubt days as she sings: "What an amazing time, what a family, how did the years go by? now it's only me". The song then bursts into a high octane electro-pop stomper, with new wave qualities to it. The synths are pounding and Gwen's vocal delivery is really interesting as she battles between different points of view, with switches in delivery to accompany these conflicting thoughts. She blurts out her worries of solo stardom but also reassures herself with very comforting lines such as "Who really cares 'cause it's your life, you never know, it could be great". The build up and climax of this song is so satisfying as the middle 8 is the necessary pep talk to herself to use as motivation going forward. It's the frustrating theme of society's timelines but also recognising the fantastic opportunities she does have right now. Aside from all of that, the Harajuku Girls (Gwen's four back-up dancers) are swiftly introduced to the era through this song. Gwen had been a huge fan of Harajuku women's fashion since the 90s, hence the line about them having "wicked style". This is another video with gorgeous aesthetics as Gwen incorporates a striking Alice in Wonderland theme. It's a shame that this only reached #47 on the Billboard Hot 100 but at least we rewarded it with a much better #4 peak. A totally triumphant solo debut for Gwen!

At #22 Keane are back with another brilliant single from the 'Hopes and Fears' album! 'Somewhere Only We Know' was released as the first single from this record and achieved an impressive #3 peak. They would later equal that with 'Is It Any Wonder?'. 'Somewhere Only We Know' definitely feels like their signature song with 'Everybody's Changing', which appeared earlier, being its closest rival. We had recent reminders of 'Somewhere Only We Know' in the 2010s thanks to Lily Allen's cover for a John Lewis advert. This out-peaked the original as it received chart-topper status. It was also used in an emotional moment on Glee where Blaine sings it to Kurt during season 2 of the show, so while it was still relevant. I think the nostalgic charms of the song are universal as you can apply it to pretty much any scenario you want. It can be about a lover, a friend, a family member, anyone who you've drifted from... then insert your own sentimental place. I've been feeling a bit nostalgic today myself as a University friend messaged me out of the blue earlier, which was a welcome surprise. I know the deadlines were far from ideal but I do miss the simple times hanging out with friends and having a real sense of identity, that wasn't being chipped away by the real world yet. So yeah this is hitting me today. I don't feel upset by the interactions themselves as I loved reconnecting with her, but I feel like nostalgia in general is a balancing act of happy and sad. Keane really know how to give us the pop-rock goods with thought-provoking lyrics, beautiful piano backing and Tom Chaplin delivering a heartfelt vocal performance. The wistful words about rivers, fallen trees and pathways are great for escapism and this is only heightened with the forest music video. There are alien characters in it that are representing the spirit of the trees. The video ends with lights representing their hearts shining. Very wholesome. The writing of 'Somewhere Only We Know' was inspired by David Bowie's 'Heroes' which has certainly held up well. I can definitely sense a similar timeless appeal here as well. Keane are not quite done yet as they still have more to come for 2004! This era was just that good.

Time to round off this section with an absolute banger! This is 'In The Shadows' by Finnish alternative rock band The Rasmus. I will never get over the fact that these guys once had an Artist Forum on BuzzJack. I mean, they only had two top 40 hits. Also, the inception of this site was two years after said career peak! I suppose this song had FOUR different music videos so that provides the discussion alone. I must go and dig around the Artist Forum Mod Lounge and see if I can find the discussions around this forum. Unless it was just a migration from CoolClarity as I don't know anything about BuzzJack's predecessor. It's a very amusing piece of history anyway. I'm trying to think of what a 2021 version of that AF might look like... only to be reminded of how sorely unrepresented rock music is in the chart now. Anyway, I can't scoff too much as I absolutely love this song, so this site had taste! 'In The Shadows' is a gothic rock single with towering guitars, gentle splashes of piano and electronic sounds that feel reminiscent of a heart monitor. It gives me a real Linkin Park feel even down to the lead singer sounding a bit like Chester. The lyrics feel open to interpretation, much like 'Somewhere Only We Know', but Linkin Park on the brain makes me think it could be mental health related. Especially with lyrics as heavy as "I'd rather kill myself than turn into their slave". The chorus is an absolute belter that definitely belongs to live settings. It's a really determined fight to break through whatever has been holding him back. The "oh, oh" bits add a further catchy layer to proceedings. I really wish the charts were still diverse enough to let something like this do so well, even without TikTok in the equation! #3 was a strong showing and its staying power was impressive too with 7 weeks in the top 10. This section is entirely full of top 10 hits and this one beats them all for longevity. As aforementioned, the group only had one more top 40 hit, as 'Guilty' reached #15 too. Sadly subsequent singles could only hit #50 and #43. I don't actually know their second hit so I'm going to have to check that out for the first time. This one will always be essential to me.

+Quote this post
coi
post 24th March 2021, 06:42 PM
Post #503
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

This will surely come as no surprise but my favourite of those five is by far Somewhere Only We Know! heart.gif Such a beautiful song, and very happy to see that there's still more Keane left in this countdown! Hoping it's both of their remaining Hopes and Fears hits to come rather than just one of them, but it's great just having this many in here already!

What You Waiting For? is pretty good too, and I've never really thought In The Shadows sounded like a Linkin Park song before but I can see why now, and although it's decent it's not even close to comparing with Breaking The Habit from Linkin Park's own top 40 hits in 2004. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 24th March 2021, 07:05 PM
Post #504
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Great to see both of Keane's songs in here. Hopes and Fears was a stunning album and those were massive standouts, even overplay and that terrible Lily Allen cover of Somewhere... hasn't tainted them wub.gif I have a lot of love also for the album track, She Has No Time.

Much love also to Love Machine (favourite GA song!), Mr Brightside, Lose My Breath, What You Waiting For & In The Shadows, and the forgotten classic, Out of Touch *.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 31st March 2021, 09:14 AM
Post #505
Group icon
Alone and wounded

Next section coming tonight happy.gif I'm trying to shift my bed time to 11 rather than 12 now so hopefully shouldn't be up too late.

QUOTE(coi @ Mar 24 2021, 07:42 PM) *
This will surely come as no surprise but my favourite of those five is by far Somewhere Only We Know! heart.gif Such a beautiful song, and very happy to see that there's still more Keane left in this countdown! Hoping it's both of their remaining Hopes and Fears hits to come rather than just one of them, but it's great just having this many in here already!

What You Waiting For? is pretty good too, and I've never really thought In The Shadows sounded like a Linkin Park song before but I can see why now, and although it's decent it's not even close to comparing with Breaking The Habit from Linkin Park's own top 40 hits in 2004. wub.gif

Hey there coi hi.gif heart.gif

Ha, I had a feeling that you'd have some positive words to say about 'Somewhere Only We Know' kink.gif so beautiful indeed, I don't think I've ever disliked a cover version of it as the general feel always seems to transcend whoever is singing it. Yesss more Keane on the way, stay tuned *.*

Glad you're a fan of 'What You Waiting For?' too - it's understandably very popular within the pop circles of this site so it's good to see it having appeal outside of that too. Yeah I didn't make the Linkin Park connection until recently but now can't unhear it laugh.gif

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Mar 24 2021, 08:05 PM) *
Great to see both of Keane's songs in here. Hopes and Fears was a stunning album and those were massive standouts, even overplay and that terrible Lily Allen cover of Somewhere... hasn't tainted them wub.gif I have a lot of love also for the album track, She Has No Time.

Much love also to Love Machine (favourite GA song!), Mr Brightside, Lose My Breath, What You Waiting For & In The Shadows, and the forgotten classic, Out of Touch *.

Hey there Chez hi.gif heart.gif

The site-wide Keane love (as they've been brought up in the chart forum recently + in The Lounge with the best Tom poll too x) has been a pleasure to witness recently *.* I knew you were a fan of course <3 I actually didn't mind the Lily cover at all but the original is of course superior heart.gif

Ooh, I randomly remember that Jacob has a soft spot for 'Love Machine' but didn't realise that extended to you too, yessss *.* 'Out of Touch' a right banger x

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 31st March 2021, 06:48 PM
Post #506
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376

Another great indepth review of the next batch heart.gif

I'd forgotten all about that Pirates track. Playing it now as a reminder as it peaked at 14 in my charts and ended the year comfortably inside my top 150 of the year. Much higher than Mario Winans peak of 36, so if it's any consolation I agree with your assessment biggrin.gif Quite nice, a bit Sugababes-ish. I havent heard it in 17 years ohmy.gif

Kylie. Chocolate. I love both things. Chocolate hit 5 in my charts and ended the year as 23rd fave of 2004, Oooh so close to 24!

Gwen Stefani. Utterly fabulous. The album, the singles, her career. What You Waiting For topped my chart, was 2nd-highest rated of 2004, and is still a fave. Classic.

Keane: Somewhere Only We Know was a big fave (peaked at 4, and inside the top 90 of the year) but has since become classic, topping my chart as an oldie with total "sales" which would put it comfortably inside the the top 20 of 2004.

The Rasmus, it was always a case of Linkin Park-a-like, only catchier, for me, peaked at 5 and just short of the top 40 of the year. That said, Linkin Park have had 4 top 10's including a number one and Numb from 2003 would be top 20 of the year in totals from many re-entries and mash-ups.

I'll just say, I expect my top track of 2004 to be high in your list... No pressure! laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 31st March 2021, 08:55 PM
Post #507
Group icon
Alone and wounded

^ ooh just spotted that response while typing this out! thanks John for the very kind words <3 I'm sooo glad that you revisited 'You Should Really Know' off the back of this!

20. Kelis - Trick Me
(chart-run: 2-4-4-5-7-13-12-15-17-21-27-38-47-64)

19. Motorcycle - As The Rush Comes
(chart-run: 11-16-23-30-35-37-51-63-74)

18. Scissor Sisters - Mary
(chart-run: 14-25-35-40-47-60)

17. Stonebridge - Put 'Em High (feat. Therese)
(chart-run: 6-11-25-23-33-38-43-62-69-71-63R(9)-51-61)

16. Kylie Minogue - I Believe In You
(chart-run: 2-3-4-3-11-23-30-35-41-45-52-56)

Kelis is now back for her teased second appearance of 2004! 'Trick Me' was chosen as the second single from her 'Tasty' album. However, it didn't get a proper release in the United States because her label there folded after the release of the album. She still had the green light here though and in several other countries. 'Trick Me' was another smash hit and peaked in the same spot as 'Milkshake', the tantalising #2. She was blocked by Frankee of all things. Absolutely robbed! The Eamon and Frankee battle is still mentioned in the context of U.K. chart battles but that's pretty much where its legacy ends. 'Trick Me' still feels like a genuinely popular song all these years later. Same with 'Milkshake' so Kelis was really churning out the modern classics at this point. The initial plan for this era was actually to release 'In Public' featuring Nas as the second single. However, that fell through and it was relegated to single 4. This instead was a wise choice in the end! It's a shame that her campaign in the U.S. was messed around with though. 'Milkshake' was fun and flirty whereas 'Trick Me' has a far more negative romance theme and is a lot more laidback sonically. On this occasion Kelis won't be taken for a fool. She knows that her man is a player and won't be going back there after it happens the first time. Good on you girl. The production is really interesting as it straddles the line of reggae and funk. So the beat is snappy despite the general moodiness elsewhere. It's a welcome contrast. The male backing vocals are a recognisable feature too and help to break up an otherwise barely changing song layout. They're just as hooky as the defiant chorus. Kelis joins in with those right at the end too. She also delivers a spoken word part that slides onto the beat pretty effortlessly. The video features Kelis and several talented others dancing along to the song. It's a pretty simple concept that is brought to life with a garish orange background and arrows in tow. She and this song in general have a very cool aura. Kelis would notch up a string of further top 40 hits and her last to date was another pesky #2! She has also featured on ratings hit The Masked Singer in recent times.

Next up is a song that I very recently added to my vinyl collection! I was inspired by Dandy's 'Classic Dance Singles' thread to start buying more dance hits. These have been mostly from the late 90s and early 00s as the Now! That's What I Call Music albums cater well for the early 90s. I have been particularly delving into the Positiva archives and this was the last one to turn up at my house. This record in question is 'As The Rush Comes' by Motorcycle. I think this song completely passed me by at the time and I discovered it through Radio 1's 'One Hit Wonders of the Millennium' show back in 2015. What can I say, the vocalist herself said "embrace me", so I did just that and brought this into my world of treasured dance songs. Motorcycle are made up of production duo Gabriel & Dresden alongside Jes for the vocals. It's a shame that the three of them didn't do more together as this is such a gem. It definitely feels like one of the more sophisticated Positiva hits sonically. The meaning of the lyrics is ambiguous but speculated to be related to taking drugs. I have never experienced them so I cannot comment on this feeling. But I enjoy listening to this and thinking of a general feeling of euphoria rather than getting into those kind of specifics. The trance production is heavenly from the word go and builds to absolute ecstasy. No drug puns intended. You just can't help but swoon and get lost in it for those few minutes. I really enjoy Jes' vocals and how she seems to get swept up in the song herself. Towards the end her vocals hit an overwhelming place. That and the heightened production are a pleasing double act that personify the very title of the song. The video is another simplistic dance-heavy one. This posse are dancing in a freeing manner amongst calm lighting tones and slightly trippy special effects. This is a truly magical experience. It's quite frustrating that this stalled at an #11 peak here in the U.K. but it seems remembered nevertheless and held in high regard by dance fans.

At #18 we head off into a more sombre direction. I definitely remember this Scissor Sisters era in full swing at the time and adored 'Filthy/Gorgeous' but I think this went over my head a bit. I was still very young and rarely taken in by deep music. But I have grown really fond of this over the years. I think the turning point was when it was sent to the BJSC Pride spin-off by Jester, so I have him to thank. This is a soft-rock beauty that front-man Jake Shears wrote for his best friend Mary Hanlon. She tragically died of a brain aneurysm less than two years after this was released. So that makes the lyrics all the more emotional. Mary seems to be going through some kind of pain in the song and Jake promises to always stand by her. The entire lyrical passage in the bridge is absolutely stunning in particular. "I'm gonna be your friend, until the day I die" especially stings retrospectively with her limited time left on the planet at that point. The words, heartfelt lower delivery and goosebump inducing piano all marry together to create a really stunning, more serious side to a band who are often associated with flamboyant, larger-than-life moments. I also adore how soothing the part is when Jake sings "ohhh, woah, woahhh" alongside the more relaxed electronic production, right after the chorus. There are also hints of saxophone. It's all so beautifully crafted. The music video is really striking as well as it switches between two different worlds. One is reality, a trapped mundane life. The other is an animated fantasy land. This ties in nicely with the themes of both struggle and hope (the friend to rely on) that are found in the lyrics. This song only peaked at #14 which feels quite shocking! I suppose the accompanying eponymous album was enormous and this was merely the fourth single. It succeeded 'Laura' so they were very much into the female names. But I can definitely recall this from the time. I'm so glad that this song eventually hit me like a tonne of bricks as it's a powerful listen each time now.

Now spirits are lifted again as we have 'Put 'Em High' by Swedish producer Stonebridge with help from Therese on vocal duties. This originally limped in at #59 in March 2004. Five months later it cracked the top 10. I'm not quite sure why but maybe a summer release suited it better. 'Put 'Em High' is an utterly blissful house tune. The production puts you at ease with a laidback approach to the verses. It soon bursts into a bit more of a euphoric state for the chorus. The vocals follow a similar pattern as Therese has a very soft delivery with her vocal contributions. But the leading line into the chorus "your love, tastes like, ohh ohhh..." pushes the song into a more playful, confident direction. She feels ecstatic and refreshed with lyrics such as "never felt this way before". Then comes the million dollar question... "Put 'em high"? What does that mean? The song seems to be going in quite a lewd direction and she is lounging about on a bed in the video, so, I mean it's logical to leap to an obvious conclusion there. But dance music is also synonymous with putting your hands in the air so it could totally be that too, right? Maybe they want to dance the night away? Either way, the delivery of this is delightful, whether masking filth or not. It's a light-hearted pick-me-up for sure. Stonebridge and Therese actually managed to score a second top 10 hit together in the name of #9 peaking 'Take Me Away'! That title seems vaguely familiar but not enough to immediately recall like I can with 'Put 'Em High'. Stonebridge then ditched Therese for a 'vs. Ultra Nate' endeavour but that could only scrape #37, then that was it for charting singles. Therese then only made #61 with solo song 'Feelin' Me'. But she may have left it too late as this was in 2007. Nevertheless they once created magic together and will always be respected by Kisstory for that. I definitely remember putting it on my iPod via one of their compilations!

Rounding off today's section is Kylie Minogue once again! She's had a whopping three appearances in 2004. This is truly the end of the road though as this one was released in December 2004. She was working so hard that year! 'Body Language' had continued and now this was the first single to accompany her 'Greatest Hits' album. I never owned this but do have her 'Step Back In Time' collection which is fantastic. It's pressed on teal vinyl too which makes it even better. I distinctly recall childhood memories of 'I Believe In You' because I used to phonetically sing along to the bridge wrong despite the lyrics being exactly the same as the chorus blush.gif my dad subsequently teased me about it so that has stuck in my mind! I can just laugh at that retrospectively and now properly appreciate the song in all its glory all of these years later. 'I Believe In You' is about how Kylie doesn't believe in certain things... but she does believe in her lover. Being told that somebody believes in you is pretty much the best compliment you can get. So I like how romantic this is without being as obvious as an I love you. This was written alongside Jake Shears and Babydaddy from Scissor Sisters. Kylie was apprehensive beforehand, as she appreciated their music but didn't know if that's what she wanted her own direction to be. However, they hit it off and were "on the same wavelength" so I'm really glad they did proceed with this. I mentioned Jake earlier and how he lost his friend Mary in 2006 so it's quite heartbreaking to know that he was involved with writing a song containing the lyric "I don't believe that when you die your presence isn't felt". Wow. That feels so powerful after hearing 'Mary' today. Kylie absolutely glides over the glittering chorus with her high octave voice and elongated notes. There are also pulsating disco synths and joyous strings in the mix. She switches up her delivery in the bridge to be more fast-paced which creates even more of a buzzing feeling. This is glorious. They went down a futuristic lane for the music video as Kylie is surrounded by colourful lights. She shines like the star she is in it. Kylie has stalled at #2 an unfortunate amount of times in her career and this was one of those instances. She was very unlucky to run into Band Aid 20 which was an unstoppable juggernaut just like the original version! She didn't quite block herself but she was on the 1989 one.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 1st April 2021, 09:53 AM
Post #508
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

Another track I'd forgotten, Trick Me peaked at 34 but hung around for 11 weeks and my top 200 of 2004, so I obviously preferred it to Milkshake - and as I play it, I still do. Oddly my top Kelis track though, for 2004, was Millionaire a top 10 with Andre 3000.

Motorcycle As The Rush Comes, as I said recently, would make a fab BJSC entry if it wasn't likely to get rejected. It only peaked at 18 in my charts but deserved better, and like Trick Me I've never come across it in the intervening period - I have never replayed the Now albums I bought (too busy with life and new music and older music). If it popped up in some other BJSC contest that I took part in, though, it would give me a great excuse to re-chart it laugh.gif

Scissor Sisters were my top act of 2004, that album is amazing, and Mary is lovelysad. It peaked at 5 and ended the year inside the top 60. 6 tracks off that album charted for me in 2004, all of them top 10: T*ts On The Radio, Laura, Take Your Mama and 2 chart-toppers Comfortably Numb and It Can't Come Quickly Enough, the latter never a single but it's gorgeous. If you haven't heard the album, worth a listen!

Stonebridge Put 'em High another one I drew a blank on, both their tracks peaked at 15 for me, and I remember the hook now I hear it, another goodie.

Kylie. Scissor Sisters. Comfortably top 20 of 2005 - yes it hit the top spot in January 2005 for me so that pushes it into 2005's rundown.. smile.gif

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 6th April 2021, 10:32 PM
Post #509
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Trick Me another great song from Kelis from 2004. 'As The Rush Comes' sounds amazing wasn't familiar with it at the time. 'Put 'Em High' decent track indeed. 'Mary' a powerful song from Scissor Sisters, one I would listen to now and again. 'I Believe In You' another Kylie classic, this futuristic music video made it for her, I was annoyed she didn't get #1 with this.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 7th April 2021, 05:02 PM
Post #510
Group icon
Alone and wounded

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Apr 1 2021, 10:53 AM) *
Another track I'd forgotten, Trick Me peaked at 34 but hung around for 11 weeks and my top 200 of 2004, so I obviously preferred it to Milkshake - and as I play it, I still do. Oddly my top Kelis track though, for 2004, was Millionaire a top 10 with Andre 3000.

Motorcycle As The Rush Comes, as I said recently, would make a fab BJSC entry if it wasn't likely to get rejected. It only peaked at 18 in my charts but deserved better, and like Trick Me I've never come across it in the intervening period - I have never replayed the Now albums I bought (too busy with life and new music and older music). If it popped up in some other BJSC contest that I took part in, though, it would give me a great excuse to re-chart it laugh.gif

Scissor Sisters were my top act of 2004, that album is amazing, and Mary is lovelysad. It peaked at 5 and ended the year inside the top 60. 6 tracks off that album charted for me in 2004, all of them top 10: T*ts On The Radio, Laura, Take Your Mama and 2 chart-toppers Comfortably Numb and It Can't Come Quickly Enough, the latter never a single but it's gorgeous. If you haven't heard the album, worth a listen!

Stonebridge Put 'em High another one I drew a blank on, both their tracks peaked at 15 for me, and I remember the hook now I hear it, another goodie.

Kylie. Scissor Sisters. Comfortably top 20 of 2005 - yes it hit the top spot in January 2005 for me so that pushes it into 2005's rundown.. smile.gif

Glad that this has been a reminder of 'Trick Me' for you! I need to give 'Millionaire' another go as I'm a big OutKast fan too. I just wasn't exposed to that song anywhere near the level of 'Trick Me' and 'Milkshake' so don't know it very well. Oh yes I remember reading that conversation about Motorcycle in the Classic Dance Singles thread! That would've been perfect in the 00s Dance spin-off back in 2015 when things were a bit more LAX, I did win with Lasgo - 'Something' after all! I approve of such fondness for both Kylie and Scissor Sisters of course *.* The hook of Stonebridge is just too catchy once you do remember it haha.

QUOTE(Mack. @ Apr 6 2021, 11:32 PM) *
Trick Me another great song from Kelis from 2004. 'As The Rush Comes' sounds amazing wasn't familiar with it at the time. 'Put 'Em High' decent track indeed. 'Mary' a powerful song from Scissor Sisters, one I would listen to now and again. 'I Believe In You' another Kylie classic, this futuristic music video made it for her, I was annoyed she didn't get #1 with this.

Hey there Mack hi.gif heart.gif

'As The Rush Comes' totally passed me by at the time too but has been a wonderful discovery in subsequent years! 'Mary' really is powerful, especially knowing that the woman it was written about sadly passed away. Kylie was so unlucky to be up against Band Aid 20 - no chance unfortunately!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 7th April 2021, 09:04 PM
Post #511
Group icon
Alone and wounded

15. Girls Aloud - The Show
(chart-run: 2-5-12-15-22-28-42-56-58-75)

14. OutKast - Roses
(chart-run: 4-7-11-26-47-50-62)

13. Sugababes - In The Middle
(chart-run: 8-15-20-30-42-56-65-65)

12. Anastacia - Left Outside Alone
(chart-run: 3-5-4-4-4-5-7-6-7-8-9-15-16-19-19-23-32-40-44-53)

11. Michael Gray - The Weekend
(chart-run: 7-13-17-22-25-26-32-31-26-29-42-54-72-73R(2))

Kicking off today's batch of top 10 near-misses is Girls Aloud! They return once more following the earlier inclusion of 'Love Machine'. This is our final 2004 stop at the 'What Will The Neighbours Say?' era, although 'Wake Me Up' was released as a single in 2005, so it'd be wise to presume that they'll be back again soon. 'The Show' was released as the lead single from the girls' sophomore album. It marked a change in direction after their first era was quite moody and guitar driven. Their cover of 'Jump' by The Pointer Sisters acted as a stop-gap between eras and really spearheaded a more fun direction for them. 'The Show' is not quite as high energy as that cover but it's good fun nevertheless. Xenomania provided a glorious synth backing for this song rather than the dark guitars from the 'Sound of the Underground' singles. The lyrics feel full of quintessential Girls Aloud quirks such as "should've fluttered my mascara like a butterfly instead of being lazy". There's something very down to Earth and British about lines like that. It's easy to get swept up in the more zany lyrics and forget what the song is actually about. It supposedly contains an "anti-promiscuity" message. That gives some context for the "nobody sees the show, not til my heart says so" line, I think they're going for romance over one night stands. As a child I presumed they were actually talking about a show. I guess this is what Spice Girls fans must feel like when they grew up with '2 Become 1' and then realised what it's about when they got older. The music video for 'The Show' gives me Spice parallels actually, specifically 'Say You'll Be There', as all five girls adopt alternate personas while working at a salon. These are: Chelsea Tanner (Nicola), Frenchie (Nadine), Supa Styler (Sarah), Maxi Wax (Cheryl) + The Boss (Kimberley). Apparently this was Kimberley's least favourite music video to film! I really enjoy how fun it is though. Xenomania and Girls Aloud are a match made in heaven as ever with the synth-pop brilliance and unusual structure. Their hooks are ridiculously catchy and brimming with personality. My favourite moment has to be the bridge where they come together in a luscious harmony break, the synths command drama and Sarah then powerfully tackles "shoulda made me now, gotta save me now". They take a fairly mundane concept and turn it into an entertaining and dramatic thrill. The girls were sadly beaten to #1 by Usher with 'Burn'. I do like some Usher songs but I've always found that one a bit plodding. Justice for 'The Show'! This era would still produce a #1 in 'I'll Stand By You' though.

OutKast took home the gold in 2003 with 'Hey Ya!' and now they're back once more with another respectable placing! 'Roses' was picked as the third single from their iconic 'Speakerboxxx/The Love Below' release. This succeeded second single 'The Way You Move' which narrowly missed out on a place in this countdown. There's no way I could ever leave out 'Roses' though. This is taken from André 3000's 'The Love Below' side although does feature a guest rap from other musical half Big Boi too. This song is another wild ride like 'Hey Ya!' although has a bit more of a laidback production style. The chaos comes with André 3000's enviable lyrical imagination and delivery switch-ups. One particular heart-stopping but comedic moment is: "...try to put on her make up in the mirror and crash, crash, crash into a ditch... just playin" which is really highlighted in the video. The visuals really take an already brilliant song to another level much like with 'Hey Ya!'. We see the 'Caroline' from the lyrics, who palms Big Boi off with a "maybe" when asked to be his valentine. Elsewhere, André 3000 is part of a musical happening in the auditorium. Chaos later ensues with Big Boi's Speakerboxxx crew fighting with Andre's The Love Below guys in this same venue. Caroline then sparks interest from a different suitor and leaves with him. Ouch. No wonder they sing: "She's the reason for the word bitch" amongst other less than flattering lines. The song is about how she's up herself and superficial. This is particularly explored in Big Boi's rap. I love their creativity as ever, toe-tapping rhythms and irresistible hooks. The guitar and keyboards are so funky as well. I'd highly recommend the whole 'Speakerboxxx/The Love Below' album and hope to get it on vinyl at some point. 'Roses' charted at #4 in the U.K. and #9 in the U.S. - the former was an improvement on 'The Way You Move', as this charted three places higher, however in the U.S. 'The Way You Move' was a #1 hit so this was a bit of a step down. We got it right even if I do enjoy that song too. These guys rarely put a foot wrong.

At #13 the Sugababes are back yet again! 'In The Middle' was released as the third single from their 'Three' album. 'Hole In The Head' had been a fun lead, then 'Too Lost In You' was a slow follow up. Now it's time for a banger again! This was then succeeded by the haunting ballad 'Caught In A Moment'. So they were hopping between tempos a lot. All four of these songs have wound up in this countdown so the 'Three' era really stole my heart. 'In The Middle' is another Sugababes single that was inspired by different situations while they were on a night out. The chorus lyric "I'm falling just a little tonight" insinuates romance during this partying. 'In The Middle' could easily light up a club itself. The ultimate highlight for me has got to be the thumping bassline that consists of a synthesised trombone. It really takes the song to another level. There are welcome flashes of guitar throughout too. Xenomania were still on fire with both Girls Aloud earlier and Sugababes now. The lyrical content is pretty simplistic with the rapid rhyming but that chorus is so catchy and inviting nevertheless. The girls have their own flair as individuals as per usual. Unfortunately the music video is up in potato quality so someone should really fix that! The video is so colourful that it was somewhat enjoyable even through fuzzy pixels though. They all look very glamorous in front of their bold back-drops too. This era just kept on giving with both the bangers and ballads, I couldn't have asked for more. 'In The Middle' was an improvement on previous single 'Too Lost In You' chart-wise as it reached #8. That chart-run is criminal though. It snuck into the Brits 2005 'Best British Single' shortlist following a timescale error. Oops! They were beaten by... 'Your Game' by Will Young apparently, which is the only song on the list that I don't think I've ever heard. My top favourite and runner-up from that list are still to come in this countdown so... no spoilers!

Anastacia is now welcomed into the fold at #12! She was on album number 3 by this point and 'Left Outside Alone' was a real turning point after her second album. 'I'm Outta Love' from 2000 is another signature song, from her first era, but 'Left Outside Alone' achieved her highest peak in the U.K. and further success elsewhere in Europe. I recently saw people complaining about her vocals in this song, over in the chart forum during the 'BuzzJack's Ultimate Number 3 single' competition, so it's time for me to inject some positive words instead! I personally really enjoy her voice here. The intro is particularly great with its dramatic gothic flair a la Amy Lee. Then she morphs into a more typical Anastacia range. I think she takes the hard-hitting subject matter and really runs with it vocally. The lyrics depict the estranged relationship she has with her father. Lines such as "all my life I've been waiting for you to bring a fairy tale my way" and "I don't feel safe" are really quite chilling. She gives them the perfect balance of power and vulnerability. The pop-rock direction for the production effectively scales the heights of her soaring performance. I didn't quite have room to include 'Sick And Tired' but that was another really good song from her right after this one. She was definitely on a bit of a roll in 2004! At this point her career trajectory had been on the rise again but sadly she wasn't able to sustain this success. Self-titled album 'Anastacia', that housed 'Left Outside Alone', had been a #1 smash but 'Heavy Rotation' limped in at #17 in comparison. A few years earlier they struck while the iron was hot, with a top 10 greatest hits record in between those releases, but a late 2008 date for her fourth studio album was a bit too long a wait. Well, at least she got to the point where she'd done enough to release a greatest hits.

Don't fear, the full-fat dance songs are not over yet! Just missing out on a place in the top 10 is British producer Michael Gray with 'The Weekend'. I have used this song as a crutch for as long as I can remember. As a kid/teenager I remember always putting it on alongside 'Saturday Night' by Whigfield to get me in the mood for a good time. Funny that this should take inspiration from 'Get Down Saturday Night' by Oliver Cheatham. Saturday supremacy! This song really does hit a lot harder as an adult though. You'd think having a Saturday and Sunday job while studying for A Levels in Year 13 would make me appreciate the weekends more when my time was up there. Nope, I soon took them for granted again while at University, probably the most freedom I'd ever have with some lecture days being pretty short. Then I got to the end of those three years and was slapped round the face with the reality of the 8:30 to 5 full-time working life. Suddenly the weekends were the best thing ever and this song can now be played 10 times louder!! I just adjust "when the clock strikes 6" to 5 in my head. 'The Weekend' takes two pretty common 2004 trends in looped house music and visuals that feature scantily clad women. But "I can't wait for the weekend to begin" really elevates this into a relatable feel-good anthem. The uncredited vocal appearance from Shèna is really soulful and the production features bright, funky synths for that ultimate euphoria. The music video begins with a woman who daydreams of a night out with her ladies while still at a work setting. All I could think about while watching is that I'm relieved to have escaped our noisy, irritating scanner for over a year now thanks to working from home. It may be simplistic but this song sure knows how to hype me up! Michael Gray ended up being a two-hit wonder, as 'Borderline' managed to chart as high as #12 for him two years later.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 8th April 2021, 07:01 PM
Post #512
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

The Show was decent, hitting 30 in my charts, but the fab 2004 track was Love Machine for me, top 10.

Radio 2 played In The Shadows today and I immediately thought of your rundown, gosh, maybe their oldies-picker is reading too! smile.gif

Outkast Roses made my year-end top 150, but peaked at a modest 22 for me, not quite Hey Ya standard.

In The Middle, again it's an oops! from me - they tend to either be big top 10's or struggle, and this is a struggler (73). It has sparked a mystery for me though cos I have a song called I'm So Crazy which I've attributed to Sugababes hitting 11 in 2004 - and yet there is no such Sugababes track on google. Too Lost In You charted, and that refers to crazy, but I doubt I got them mixed up. What a mystery! I googled and came up with a KC & The Sunshine Band remix if I'm So Crazy (Bout You) in 2004 which I suppose I might well have liked and charted (for only 4 weeks) but somehow cut n pasted Sugababes over the artist name somehow. So anyway, that's a mystery sparked by your chart! laugh.gif

Anastacia Left Outside Alone, a big top 30 slot of 2004 for me - but Sick & Tired is inside my top 10 of 2004!

Which leaves The Weekend, ah days when I could actually go out clubbing at the weekend. What a concept, being allowed out of the house! I miss it... anyways Michael Gray only peaked at 19 in my charts but of those 5 it's the track I can most replay in my head quite easily, where the others I can just do a bit of the hook melody/lyric. Possibly cos it's been played more often over the years since then than the others. Whatever, I under-rated it!

So top 10 hopes?

Toxic. Record Of The Year. No pressure.... tongue.gif

Powerless. Comfortably Numb. Reptilia - surely you like The Strokes these days with all the post-punk stuff?

Lola's Theme popped up yet? A remix of Satellite Of Love from Lou Reed? Take Me Out? Boulevard Of Broken Dreams? Jesus Walks?

I'd say Friday's Child, but clearly Will Young not likely.... laugh.gif

+Quote this post
danG
post 8th April 2021, 08:40 PM
Post #513
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

catching up now from #30, there's a lot of great tracks here - which makes sense as 2004 was when I first got into pop/dance music.
Call On Me is a particularly big fave of the lot. Flashdance, As The Rush Comes, The Weekend are also excellent dance tunes too.
What You Waiting For I also really loved at the time and has aged well, that'd be one of the highest pop songs if I did a top 00s chart (alongside Toxic which I expect is to come). Trick Me is also one of my fave pop tracks of the time, Somewhere Only We Know is a real beauty of a song as well.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 14th April 2021, 05:34 PM
Post #514
Group icon
Alone and wounded

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Apr 8 2021, 08:01 PM) *
The Show was decent, hitting 30 in my charts, but the fab 2004 track was Love Machine for me, top 10.

Radio 2 played In The Shadows today and I immediately thought of your rundown, gosh, maybe their oldies-picker is reading too! smile.gif

Outkast Roses made my year-end top 150, but peaked at a modest 22 for me, not quite Hey Ya standard.

In The Middle, again it's an oops! from me - they tend to either be big top 10's or struggle, and this is a struggler (73). It has sparked a mystery for me though cos I have a song called I'm So Crazy which I've attributed to Sugababes hitting 11 in 2004 - and yet there is no such Sugababes track on google. Too Lost In You charted, and that refers to crazy, but I doubt I got them mixed up. What a mystery! I googled and came up with a KC & The Sunshine Band remix if I'm So Crazy (Bout You) in 2004 which I suppose I might well have liked and charted (for only 4 weeks) but somehow cut n pasted Sugababes over the artist name somehow. So anyway, that's a mystery sparked by your chart! laugh.gif

Anastacia Left Outside Alone, a big top 30 slot of 2004 for me - but Sick & Tired is inside my top 10 of 2004!

Which leaves The Weekend, ah days when I could actually go out clubbing at the weekend. What a concept, being allowed out of the house! I miss it... anyways Michael Gray only peaked at 19 in my charts but of those 5 it's the track I can most replay in my head quite easily, where the others I can just do a bit of the hook melody/lyric. Possibly cos it's been played more often over the years since then than the others. Whatever, I under-rated it!
So top 10 hopes?

Toxic. Record Of The Year. No pressure.... tongue.gif

Powerless. Comfortably Numb. Reptilia - surely you like The Strokes these days with all the post-punk stuff?

Lola's Theme popped up yet? A remix of Satellite Of Love from Lou Reed? Take Me Out? Boulevard Of Broken Dreams? Jesus Walks?

I'd say Friday's Child, but clearly Will Young not likely.... laugh.gif

Love that 'In The Shadows' got a play ohmy.gif the taste! They should definitely play some other gems from this countdown like 'Chocolate Salty Balls' kink.gif oh wow, that Sugababes conundrum has intrigued me! Indeed 'Too Lost In You' has an "I'm going crazy..." etc lyric but a song actually called 'I'm So Crazy', albeit by a different artist, in the same year would make sense. Although not sure how you mix those two up laugh.gif I guess stranger things have happened...!

I may be an introvert but I totally miss leaving the house too! Bring on meals out, concerts, seeing others in general etc <3 quite like working at home though kink.gif

Some interesting top 10 predictions... kicking off tonight biggrin.gif

thank you for commetning <3

QUOTE(dan::G @ Apr 8 2021, 09:40 PM) *
catching up now from #30, there's a lot of great tracks here - which makes sense as 2004 was when I first got into pop/dance music.
Call On Me is a particularly big fave of the lot. Flashdance, As The Rush Comes, The Weekend are also excellent dance tunes too.
What You Waiting For I also really loved at the time and has aged well, that'd be one of the highest pop songs if I did a top 00s chart (alongside Toxic which I expect is to come). Trick Me is also one of my fave pop tracks of the time, Somewhere Only We Know is a real beauty of a song as well.

Hey there Dan hi.gif heart.gif

Thanks for taking the time to catch up! This year really has felt dance heavy so far so I can see why you were into it. Glad to see some love for 'Call On Me' after it was slagged off a bit in the 00s forum at some point laugh.gif love that 'What You Waiting For?' is so popular on BuzzJack even outside the pop crowd happy.gif 2004 really was a great year for the genre!! You may be on to something with your 'Toxic' prediction... ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Jade
post 14th April 2021, 09:20 PM
Post #515
Group icon
Alone and wounded

10. Christina Milian - Dip It Low
(chart-run: 2-4-5-7-13-22-28-30-34-42-56-58-59)

09. Keane - This Is The Last Time
(chart-run: 18-33-48-58-60-65)

08. Blink-182 - I Miss You
(chart-run: 8-14-17-24-29-38-45-55-73-75)

07. Britney Spears - Everytime
(chart-run: 1-2-3-2-7-7-9-12-22-31-34-52-51-62-56R(325))

06. Green Day - American Idiot
(chart-run: 3-5-9-19-33-54-72-72R(36))

Kicking off the top 10 is Christina Milian with her highest peaking single both here and in the States! 'Dip It Low' reached #2 here and #5 on the Billboard Hot 100. It was Eamon who blocked her here so I wholeheartedly disapprove of that. 'Dip It Low' was released as the lead single from her second album 'It's About Time'. I'm pretty sure I discovered this through Now 58 and fell in love straight away. This was during childhood and it's stuck with me through my adult years too. I particularly remember going mad when they played this at my one and only gay club experience to date. That place had the best music of the night by far. 'Dip It Low' is a fun, flirty and confident single from Christina. She absolutely steals the show in the music video with her range of looks and dance moves. She even drops right on to her back at one point! A then 23-year-old Kim Kardashian actually makes a cameo in the video but is upstaged on this occasion. This music video has been an especially pleasing start for today's visuals because it's uploaded in great quality for 2004, hooray! On the surface this song could be seen as a trashy "hoe anthem" but look deeper into the lyrics and Christina is actually singing about a man that she wants to keep. "Dipping it low" is merely a suggestion to keep the spark alive in a pre-existing relationship. She owns the lyrics in a sweet but self-assured way to match the crossover of faithful but exciting contents. It was actually Ne-Yo pre-breakout who assisted with vocal production! Another huge draw for me is of course the instrumental. There is an interesting Asian influence to the production alongside the more typical bassline and hand claps. I guess it has a similar appeal to 'Kiss Kiss' with a really catchy and suggestive chorus plus intriguing production. This is easily my favourite Christina song and I hope it isn't too tainted for her after being involved in a lawsuit regarding a sample. The co-writer and producer Poli Paul, who is actually name-dropped at the start of the song, assured Christina that there was no samples in it. But he came under fire after it was claimed that it contained a 12 second sample from a 1980s song called 'La Sirena', that he'd supposedly heard in a record store and liked. Messy. 'Dip It Low' is book-ended with two #9 singles in Christina's UK chart history with 'It's All Gravy' getting there in 2002 and 'Whatever U Want' later in 2004. She actually charted as high as #4 in 2006 but then that was it for her top 40 appearances. She also acts and can be found as a vocal helping hand on some Jennifer Lopez songs.

Now we move on from R&B to rock! Christina may be a newcomer in this countdown but this is already Keane's third appearance within the same year. We first had 'Everybody's Changing' and then 'Somewhere Only We Know' earlier on in 2004. My favourite song by them, 'This Is The Last Time', simply had to be up here in the top 10. This couldn't quite make the U.K. top 10 like the previous three 'Hopes & Fears' singles but #18 is still a respectable enough peak for a fourth single. I do feel like it's more enduring than its peak would suggest though! 'This Is The Last Time' is about a really difficult inner conflict when you know that you have a bond with someone but cannot see the relationship going the distance. The "say these things they go away, but they never do" line is that realisation that something needs to change now. It may be a confusing sensation but it's not an angry song. Instead he's just looking for a friendship rather than cutting off all contact. So there's a wholesome ending in sight if both parties are up for it but a lot of emotion and heartache to suffer through first. Band member Tim Rice-Oxley had composed it back in 2001. An early version of the song was released in 2003 before being reworked and polished up in 2004 after signing with Island Records. Tom Chaplin dives into the vocals in a way that makes my heart soar every time. The melody is so stunning and as usual there's a piano rock flair a la Coldplay that kicks it up a notch. There are a few different versions of the video out there but the one I just watched was as equally dreamy as the song, with the pretty pink sky imagery. 'This Is The Last Time' may have been the lowest charting of those first four 'Hopes & Fears' singles but it's currently outdoing #10 hit 'Bedshaped' on Spotify and YouTube, despite that song having a pretty memorable video. So it's clawing back that relevancy a bit. It's been an absolute pleasure to revisit this song today!

Rock is here to stay at #8 but we plunge further into darkness with emo alternative-rock. 'I Miss You' was released as the second single from Blink-182's self-titled fifth album. This became their second and last U.K. top 10 hit as it peaked at #8. Their previous smash was of course career high #2 'All The Small Things' back in 2000. That song is good but this one has always drawn me in deeply and is easily my favourite Blink-182 single from what I know. This is very stripped back as it's produced in a completely acoustic way. But there are so many layers of instrumental tracks that it ends up being pretty sonically rich nevertheless. Aside from the bass, there's also haunting cello, piano and a brush-stroked drum loop that gives it a slight hip-hop edge. When working on this song Blink-182 were inspired by 'The Lovecats' from a band I recently fell in love with, The Cure. This extends to the video too as we see band member Mark Hoppus playing a double bass, mimicking Phil Thornalley from The Cure doing the same. 'The Lovecats' is one of my favourite The Cure videos, Robert Smith is particularly dynamic in it, although this Blink-182 one is decidedly more sombre to match the song. Band members Tom DeLonge and the aforementioned Mark Hoppus talked about a general song theme and then wrote both of their parts separately, to then put them together. It seems to be about a break-up and navigates this subject with quite intense themes ("you're already the voice inside my head") and references. One particular nod to dark popular culture is when 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' is used as inspiration for the line: "We can live like Jack and Sally if we want... and we'll have Halloween on Christmas". It's really interesting to hear these two writers coming together with their own interpretations of the same area. I get chills when it switches from one to the other. The lyrics really pack a punch, especially with the poignant "I miss you" repetition being lodged into our brain at the same time. The production is so haunting as well. They really nailed this single. Even the meme about the "voice inside my head" lyric sounding like the "voice inside my YEADDD" can't knock this. Blink-182 may have been inspired by The Cure but they've had a full circle moment as The Chainsmokers took inspiration from 'I Miss You' when composing their own hit single 'Closer'!

At #7 we have another sad song but this time pop instead of rock. We now return to Britney's 'In The Zone' era after previously talking about it in 2003 for lead single 'Me Against The Music'. 'Everytime' was released as single number 3, following 'Toxic'. She was on a roll commercially in the U.K. as 'Toxic' and 'Everytime' became her fourth and fifth number #1s here, respectively. 'In The Zone' is my favourite Britney album as aforementioned in my 'Me Against The Music' commentary. 'Everytime' is possibly the most heart-felt song on the record. Britney actually described it as the "most personal song on the album", alongside 'Touch of My Hand', which is also a highlight for me. She was right about these unlike the 'personal' marketing for 'Britney Jean'. 'Everytime' is a confessional ballad where Brit pleads for forgiveness after unintentionally hurting an ex-lover. "This song's my sorry", she says. Britney has never confirmed that this song is about Justin Timberlake but backing singer Annet Artani suggested that it was a response to 'Cry Me A River'. The two both bonded after going through recent break-ups together. Britney wrote 'Everytime' while at the piano one night and it was one of the first 'In The Zone' songs that was ready to go. It's a really tender moment from her. She isn't the most technically brilliant vocalist in the world but she really knows how to use her range to its strengths when she wants to. This is one of those occasions with a breathy, emotive take on the words. The production is so calming with its soft piano, lullaby-esque approach. I find the whole song beautiful. The video clip of Britney in the bath has got to be one of her most memorable music video moments too. The original plans for the video were posted online but received huge backlash for "glamourising suicide" so they were quickly modified. Instead Britney gets hit in the head with a camera and accidentally drowns in the bath later on, after inspecting her wounds. The video is scarily prophetic with the paparazzi hounding her and the mental struggles. But the overall theme is reincarnation as the end transitions from Britney in hospital to a baby being born. I guess that infant would now be around the age Britney was when she debuted, madness. I'm glad the U.K. was so receptive to this song as it's a huge discography highlight. Unfortunately it only made it to #15 in the U.S. who really slept on this era. Then again, in the U.K. the album didn't even crack the top 10 despite the success of the singles. Well, I bought it at least!

The song just missing out on a place in the top 5 for 2004 is 'American Idiot' by Green Day! Wow, it was musical whiplash to go from 'Everytime' to that. The melancholia has now left the room and instead Green Day are here all guns blazing with their towering punk rock guitars. 'American Idiot' was released as the lead single from the album of the same name. This record is a brilliantly executed concept album and one of my favourites of all-time. 'American Idiot' is one of the most politically charged on the album, along with 'Holiday', as it acts as a protest song. Lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong was inspired to write this after hearing the Lynyrd Skynyrd song 'That's How I Like It' on his car radio. It boasts "I'm proud to be a redneck" lyrics and he said "oh my God, why would you be proud of something like that?" - LOL, savage. This is why the lyric "I'm not part of a redneck agenda" in particular exists. 'American Idiot' is about how the mass media has detrimental effects on the public. I think the lyric that illustrates this best is: "Now everybody do the propaganda and sing along to the age of paranoia". At the time they were inspired by Iraq War coverage that felt more like a reality TV show, with distressing footage spliced with adverts. Essentially this song is a refreshing, rebellious statement that even caught on in the U.S. itself to some extent - as 'American Idiot' was the band's first single to chart within the Billboard Hot 100. The lyrics are still so topical now especially with the whole 'fake news' controversy. The song in fact re-entered the U.K. top 40 back in 2018 as a protest towards then-president (oh, it feels good to write that now) Donald Trump's visit to the United Kingdom. What a glorious time that was with both 'American Idiot' and 'Three Lions' re-entering. Back in 2004 it became the band's first top 3 single, with an exact #3 peak, later to be out-peaked by #2 hit 'The Saints Are Coming' with U2. That certainly does not feel close to their signature song! Away from the 'American Idiot' lyrics, I also adore the generally heavy production and guitar solo too. The music video further fuels the flames as the band play in front of a U.S. flag background (green to match their name, naturally) where the stripes melt. They're so done with it all and the angst is very evident! What an absolute anthem of a generation this is. My dad hammered the 'American Idiot' album in the car back in the day so I grew up with it and have incorporated it into my own adult life now, as it's a prized possession in my vinyl collection.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 11th September 2021, 10:12 PM
Post #516
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

The 2004 thread in the noughties kinda got me searching for this thread lol. Songs I love/like from the last few sections.

Destiny's Child (probably my favourite of there's along with Bootylicious although not a big fan of them generally.) Mcfly, Armand Van Helden, Uniting Nations, Eric Prydz (remember doing a P.E. thing to this at high school kink.gif classic though), Kelis, The Killers, Gwen Stefani, Keane, The Rasmus (my sister HATES IT but it's a Anthem so glad you agree by placing it 20th here *.* haha. Got the CD to it back then too. Shame they didn't have anymore songs do anything sad.gif ), Kelis (Milkshake and Trick Me were so good), Scissor Sisters, Kylie (IBIY is up with her best and one of her best slower songs along with All The Lovers imo), Girls Aloud, outKast, Sugababes, Anastacia, Michael Gray, Christina Milian (was hooked on this at the time, was a big departure from her material a few years prior), Keane again (they were on top form in that first era, wow), Blink 182 (yass a underrated Blink song imo), Britney (obviously a beaut) and Greenday.

Just goes to show that the number 1's that year weren't that great on the whole in comparison to a lot of these songs.

This post has been edited by Rob S: 11th September 2021, 10:14 PM

+Quote this post
Jade
post 11th September 2021, 10:26 PM
Post #517
Group icon
Alone and wounded

QUOTE(Rob S @ Sep 11 2021, 11:12 PM) *
The 2004 thread in the noughties kinda got me searching for this thread lol. Songs I love/like from the last few sections.

Destiny's Child (probably my favourite of there's along with Bootylicious although not a big fan of them generally.) Mcfly, Armand Van Helden, Uniting Nations, Eric Prydz (remember doing a P.E. thing to this at high school kink.gif classic though), Kelis, The Killers, Gwen Stefani, Keane, The Rasmus (my sister HATES IT but it's a Anthem so glad you agree by placing it 20th here *.* haha. Got the CD to it back then too. Shame they didn't have anymore songs do anything sad.gif ), Kelis (Milkshake and Trick Me were so good), Scissor Sisters, Kylie (IBIY is up with her best and one of her best slower songs along with All The Lovers imo), Girls Aloud, outKast, Sugababes, Anastacia, Michael Gray, Christina Milian (was hooked on this at the time, was a big departure from her material a few years prior), Keane again (they were on top form in that first era, wow), Blink 182 (yass a underrated Blink song imo), Britney (obviously a beaut) and Greenday.

Just goes to show that the number 1's that year weren't that great on the whole in comparison to a lot of these songs.

Omg this thread!! Thank you for reminding me about it, I really should finish off 2004, how tantalisingly close to completion laugh.gif

Glad you have so many highlights here! Tut tut your sister hating The Rasmus though sleep.gif the 2004 #1s list on the whole is pretty poor, although one or two may have made the top 5 here... ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post 13th September 2021, 09:16 AM
Post #518
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

finishing threads off at a leisurely pace is a skill I have perfected over almost 10 years next year laugh.gif My top 800 is now over 900 long and prob rattling on for 6 or 7 years so far but post 2015 tracks are just getting bonus mentions rather than re-do the whole numbering again. That and other threads I hope to restart... ohmy.gif So I wouldnt worry about a piddling few months... laugh.gif

Britney top 10 as well she should be with Everytime. Classic pop. Christina Milian is also fab, and Keane is one I like. I always like Keane. Their new old track Dirt is top-quality Keane, I'm amazed it's never been out before. Blink 182 kinda passed me by, though my teen-aged niece was a fan at the time, and Green Day I tend to either love or meh with nothing much in between. The big ballads I especially love, and was overjoyed when Glen Campbell did a fab version of Good Riddance on his comeback album. American Idiot wasn;t one of my faves of theirs, though lyrically I was in synch with the sentiment....as I usually am with Green Day.

+Quote this post
Jade
post 25th September 2022, 08:08 PM
Post #519
Group icon
Alone and wounded

Some of you have been asking me about this thread off-site so I'm going to hold myself accountable by bumping it as I really do want to continue this countdown soon. I do feel like I'd do a bit of revisionism already for the earlier years but hey that's what happens when it's been three and half years since I started kink.gif it's really lovely that people are still interested in this, like that genuinely warms my heart lol, so I'll put it high up on my coming soon BuzzJack priorities, as well as hosting Club Bizarre, of course.

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Sep 13 2021, 10:16 AM) *
finishing threads off at a leisurely pace is a skill I have perfected over almost 10 years next year laugh.gif My top 800 is now over 900 long and prob rattling on for 6 or 7 years so far but post 2015 tracks are just getting bonus mentions rather than re-do the whole numbering again. That and other threads I hope to restart... ohmy.gif So I wouldnt worry about a piddling few months... laugh.gif

Britney top 10 as well she should be with Everytime. Classic pop. Christina Milian is also fab, and Keane is one I like. I always like Keane. Their new old track Dirt is top-quality Keane, I'm amazed it's never been out before. Blink 182 kinda passed me by, though my teen-aged niece was a fan at the time, and Green Day I tend to either love or meh with nothing much in between. The big ballads I especially love, and was overjoyed when Glen Campbell did a fab version of Good Riddance on his comeback album. American Idiot wasn;t one of my faves of theirs, though lyrically I was in synch with the sentiment....as I usually am with Green Day.

A year late reply... my apologies! It's comforting that others take long breaks with their big threads too. I used to be quite good at finishing countdowns on here but this one is another level of effort. laugh.gif still, I want to continue my original vision of paragraph style commentary, so that is what I'll do.

Glad you're a fan of 'Everytime' too! I'm happy that Britney's personal life has taken a more positive turn since I last contributed in here - with that dreaded conservatorship now being history, her wedding taking place and a return to the charts with Elton now. I wasn't sure how loved 'Dip It Low' was on here, so it's great to see other fans! That Keane era is superb, admittedly I haven't kept up with them very well nowadays though. Your niece was displaying some fine taste there cool.gif I wasn't aware of that Glen Campbell cover! Green Day have some brilliant, rousing ballads in their catalogue, I agree. I'll have to whip a certain one out in a few days... tongue.gif they really had something to say with those lyrics!

+Quote this post
coi
post 25th September 2022, 08:11 PM
Post #520
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 73,240

Yes, great to have this back!

Forgot to comment on the last couple of sections but great that Left Outside Alone, This Is The Last Time, I Miss You and American Idiot are in here, all definitely classics!

+Quote this post

29 Pages V  « < 24 25 26 27 28 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 01:19 AM