BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Rob S Smash Hits Top 100 of 2020 Countdown, 100 - 4 posted
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 27th January 2021, 09:42 PM
Post #41
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Watermelon Sugar cheeseblock.png

Love the Gaga songs, Come & Go and Kings & Queens from that section too!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 29th January 2021, 07:15 PM
Post #42
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Come & Go was a brilliant song, my favourite Juice WRLD track by quite a way. Just giving Cars a play now, it's sounding really nice! Some fab harmonies in there and the beat is great as well. Just looked them up and it seems they released a new song today as well ohmy.gif might check that out.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 30th January 2021, 03:47 PM
Post #43
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804

20-11

20. Lady Gaga Ft Ariana Grande - Rain On Me
19. DaBaby Ft Roddy Rich - Rockstar
18. Taylor Swift - cardigan
17. Julia - S.E.X.T.O
16. Lady GaGa - Alice
15. Little Mix - Sweet Melody
14. James Bay - Chew On My Heart
13. The Weeknd - Blinding Lights
12. Dua Lipa - Hallucinate
11. Nina Ft Lau - Automatic Call

One more stop before the all important top 10 and here we see some HUGE bangers. The mega smash 'Rain On Me' from Lady GaGa and Ariana Grande starts off the top 20 at 20. I guess you could say hooking up with the 2nd hottest pop star (behind Dua) at the moment Ariana was a safe get and indeed it resulted in getting GaGa her first pop number 1 in 10 years, going on to dominate everywhere just like she was back in her early prime. 19 is the catchy 'Rockstar' by DaBaby and Roddy Rich, the song ended up spending a lengthy amount of time on top of the official charts in the summer and when it first topped it, some were a little surprised by that as it rose so quickly. I think Sam will forgive me for having Taylor songs lower down like some of my past EOY's showed, I'm so floppy sad.gif anyway 'cardigan' the lead single off folklore finishes up as my 18 best song of 2020 so there you go she's very high and has one song in the top 10 still to come magic.gif It would be a couple of places higher even if you take out songs that are older than 2019. Time for another BJSC Smash and it comes in the form of this brilliant European pop song by French singer Julia.. 'S.E.X.T.O.' accompanying club sounds in the back to go with it. The highest song from Chromatica and performing 4 spots better than ROM is the excellent 'Alice'. It's safe to say this was one I constantly returned to and for many it is in their top 3 standouts. The track did sneak top 30 with the album release. Currently still riding high in the top 10 we have the last single from Little Mix as a four piece after Jesy announced her departure in December. 'Sweet Melody' is absolutely their best song for me since 'Touch' in 2016 and is rightfully a UK #1 even if they did have their fans start a campaign in early January to take advantage of low sales AND in doing so they also denied Ed Sheeran another #1. It was a pleasant sight to see Ed who had loads of number 1's and has been dominating the chart for the better part of a decade not soar to #1 with his mellow ballad, back to Little Mix and I hope the other three can carve out a successful career on their own without Jesy. 14 is perhaps the highest this artist has ever finished in my EOY and it comes in the form of James Bay, an artist I've not been huge on but has released some great songs and was a force in the charts for a year or so.. however he returned with by far his best single he's ever put out, 'Chew On My Heart'. The song DESERVED TO DO SOMETHING. Damn you British public for not caring about him now sad.gif Radio 1 supported it for about 2 weeks I think (I can't remember exactly lol). I really don't know why this wasn't a hit as it sounds like something the radio stations would be all over and it's not like male artists are struggling right now see Lewis Capaldi and Harry Styles. Now onto 'Blinding Light' by The Weeknd. A song that was the polar opposite to COMH and was everywhere for the last year, hanging around the official chart for well over a year since it first came out and topped the best sellers of 2020 in the UK and Spotify among other platforms. It is probably a surprise it's only 13 here but the quality for me in the upper end of this chart is through the roof and I think it's a respectable finish. Dua Lipa has one song left and will be in the top 10 but just falling short at 12 is the club anthem 'Hallucinate'. The song made the top 40 but was her lowest charting of the 5 tracks from Future Nostalgia. It deserved far better and I'm giving the eyes at Spotify for not supporting as hard as her other singles especially 'Levitating' which was a post album single in it's own right. Lastly Aeroche's first entry in BJSC of 2020 was this synth-wave jam 'Automatic Call' by German star Nina with her lush vocals. The song of course went on to win the first contest as well and I'd say this is probably my favourite of Leww's entries now too... I mean it's position here speaks for itself really tongue.gif

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 30th January 2021, 04:00 PM
Post #44
Group icon
Rob aah

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Jan 27 2021, 09:42 PM) *
Watermelon Sugar cheeseblock.png

Love the Gaga songs, Come & Go and Kings & Queens from that section too!

Thanks Joseph *.*

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 29 2021, 07:15 PM) *
Come & Go was a brilliant song, my favourite Juice WRLD track by quite a way. Just giving Cars a play now, it's sounding really nice! Some fab harmonies in there and the beat is great as well. Just looked them up and it seems they released a new song today as well ohmy.gif might check that out.

Yep I totally agree, it's leagues ahead for me too. I'm glad your a fan of 'Cars', their voices do gel well together and the harmonies are strong as well I agree. Unfortunately the rest of the songs they've put up don't match up and the new one you said wasn't impressing me on first listen oops but it might with others!

--

I will start the top 10 tomorrow evening, left are these

1 Dua Lipa
1 Taylor Swift
1 Miley Cyrus
4 Summericia entries
3 other BJSC entries.

thinking.gif

This post has been edited by Rob S: 30th January 2021, 04:01 PM

+Quote this post
Riser
post 31st January 2021, 01:47 AM
Post #45
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534

Glad to see 'Rockstar' here! Brilliant song and a pleasant surprise that Buzzjack in general liked it as much as they did.

'Chew On My Heart' is indeed really good - at the time I said radio would've been all over it if Shawn Mendes had released it, and I say that as a Shawn fan!

+Quote this post
Jade
post 2nd February 2021, 08:38 PM
Post #46
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Hey there Rob hi.gif heart.gif

My absolute favourites from the last couple of sections:

30. Lady Gaga feat. Elton John - Sine From Above
28. Harry Styles - Watermelon Sugar
27. Lady Gaga - Babylon
25. Ava Max - Kings and Queens
22. Lady Gaga - Stupid Love
21. Night Club - Dear Enemy
20. Lady Gaga feat. Ariana Grande - Rain On Me
16. Lady GaGa - Alice

Loving the Gaga domination! 'Chromatica' delivered in a big way after not properly experiencing dance-pop Gaga for a while until that arrived <3 keeping everything crossed that her tour won't be flat out cancelled. Ava, The Weeknd, Dua Lipa, Little Mix and Taylor really delivered with their albums too so great to see them turning up recently. I stillll need to check out 'Fine Line' though oops - 'Watermelon Sugar' being the best I've heard from it so far <3 loved 'Dear Enemy' in BJSC too!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 3rd February 2021, 03:13 PM
Post #47
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Chew On My Heart is SO underrated by the general public, it didn't get the chance it deserved sad.gif my favourite of his since the debut album for sure!

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 8th February 2021, 10:38 PM
Post #48
Group icon
Rob aah

QUOTE(Riser @ Jan 31 2021, 01:47 AM) *
Glad to see 'Rockstar' here! Brilliant song and a pleasant surprise that Buzzjack in general liked it as much as they did.

'Chew On My Heart' is indeed really good - at the time I said radio would've been all over it if Shawn Mendes had released it, and I say that as a Shawn fan!

Yeah it was quite the popular track wasn't it. I know. I can definitely seeing Shawn covering it as well and yeah radio would have been all over it in his case. James really suffered from that 2nd album. If only he swapped eras round really and this was released in 2018!

QUOTE(Jade @ Feb 2 2021, 08:38 PM) *
Hey there Rob hi.gif heart.gif

My absolute favourites from the last couple of sections:

30. Lady Gaga feat. Elton John - Sine From Above
28. Harry Styles - Watermelon Sugar
27. Lady Gaga - Babylon
25. Ava Max - Kings and Queens
22. Lady Gaga - Stupid Love
21. Night Club - Dear Enemy
20. Lady Gaga feat. Ariana Grande - Rain On Me
16. Lady GaGa - Alice

Loving the Gaga domination! 'Chromatica' delivered in a big way after not properly experiencing dance-pop Gaga for a while until that arrived <3 keeping everything crossed that her tour won't be flat out cancelled. Ava, The Weeknd, Dua Lipa, Little Mix and Taylor really delivered with their albums too so great to see them turning up recently. I stillll need to check out 'Fine Line' though oops - 'Watermelon Sugar' being the best I've heard from it so far <3 loved 'Dear Enemy' in BJSC too!

Yup it's a strong album. The whole single campaign thing has gone awfully quiet though. Glad you like all those and yeah Harry's material is really solid so I'd imagine it'd be worthwhile checking his album out although I must admit I'm not a huge album listener myself lol. Aim to get cracking on some frequent album listening this year. Ahh I'm pleased it connected with you. I did think Night Club would be something of a interest to you.

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Feb 3 2021, 03:13 PM) *
Chew On My Heart is SO underrated by the general public, it didn't get the chance it deserved sad.gif my favourite of his since the debut album for sure!

I know what are they thinking really. It's hard to tell if it would have been a massive hit but it should have at least gone top 20 or something.

--

2021 has seen me get a bit lackey with this lol. So much for continuing last week kink.gif I will definitely be back to posting the top 10 though. It'll be either tomorrow or Thursday as I'm tired tonight!

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 14th February 2021, 01:07 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Rob aah

10. Midnight Kids Ft Annika Wells - Run It

Arriving at last is the top 10 and finishing at 10th sees perhaps Rich's best BJSC entry after I joined. 'Run It' by Midnight Kids. The song placed 3rd back in January of last year. A strong synth wave pop song imo and one that I listen to a lot still as it was very high in my Spotify songs list of 2020 as well, in fact it was only a few spots lower there so almost identical.!

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 14th February 2021, 01:24 PM
Post #50
Group icon
Rob aah

9. Dua Lipa - Physical

What a year it's been for one Miss Lipa and what a strong single campaign it has been too. Releasing banger after banger and solidifying herself as pop's diva of 2020. 'Physical' and the album mainly took off when lockdown started so from that front it's a shame people haven't been able to go clubbing etc to party away with these dancey bops (well except for those pesky rulebreakers who don't care sleep.gif ) The song started slowly on the official charts taking a month to crack the top 10 and eventually peaked at a deserving #3 upon album release. For many this was their best song of 2020 and it'd be wrong to argue that really. What a fun pop banger this is!

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 14th February 2021, 01:34 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Rob aah

8. moistbreezy - Contact

Okay so this was very late in the year, early November when I discovered 'Contact' by moistbreezy. The artist's name is horrendous I think many can agree on that but outside of the name the song itself was instant. It's incredibly carefree and inoffensive and is just an all in all bop really. Very reminiscent of acts like Charli XCX and other PC Music stars. The song finshed top 10 for us in December equalling our first top 10 from 2017 (CRIM3S). It's not that often that songs I've taken a loving to so late in the year end up extremely high in my EOY but that was mainly because of my old chart data stuff from back in the times and I don't have a weekly chart anymore so don't base it off that and this track has been on repeat for months, literally spammed so it's only fair really. No shame, it's a bop and up there with my faves entries I've sent!

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 14th February 2021, 01:51 PM
Post #52
Group icon
Rob aah

7. White Lies - Tokyo

Okay. A band I never expected to ever appear in my EOY let alone this high up is White Lies. A British post punk, indie band who HAVE tasted mild chart success a whole decade earlier.. scoring a couple of low top 40 hits in the UK. 'Tokyo' was entered when I wasn't even competing at the time in BJSC back in the first half of 2019 and ended up winning, deservedly so I may add. It ended up appearing in TBO in the middle of last year which was where I heard it for the first time and was the winner of that as well... it's a good thing contests like these lead you to belatedly discover some missed gems. What a song this is though, it's as radio friendly as it gets with it's big chanty chorus. It's been stuck in my head loads and it's a shame the band aren't relevant charts wise to have just one more chart appearance was it would absolutely stand out in a big way amongst all the dance, and grime music flooding the charts year in year out - I give a nod to Glass Animals currently for doing so right now in this case. More variety would go a long way. The charts were better for it really. What a fantastic song!

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 17th February 2021, 09:49 AM
Post #53
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

Run It in the top 10 - yasss Rob! I will comment properly at the end but so elated to see that so high.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 17th February 2021, 01:48 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Rob aah

QUOTE(gooddelta @ Feb 17 2021, 09:49 AM) *
Run It in the top 10 - yasss Rob! I will comment properly at the end but so elated to see that so high.

Thanks Rich. I don't think any of your entries has been so high in these before. It's a sight to behold haha *.*

Will *definitely be posting 7-3 tonight!

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 17th February 2021, 05:39 PM
Post #55
Group icon
Rob aah

6 Noonie Bao - Pyramids

The oldest song in my top 10 of the year, released back in 2015 is Noonie Bao's 'Pyramids'. The song went unnoticed until Rob(ot) sent it to BJSC in the summer. It's just a stellar pop track and was immediate with me.. the huge production on it and her voice. Noonie has had a fair share of success as a songwriter and collaborator in the past and most will know her from uncredited vocals on Avicii's 'I Could Be The One' from 2013 and aside from that she also won BJSC in 2017 guesting on dance bop 'Monopoly'. It took me until recently to learn of the Avicii discovery but now I listen to that track I can hear it now laugh.gif Anyhow Noonie sits in an impressive 6th place here.

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 17th February 2021, 05:45 PM
Post #56
Group icon
Rob aah

5 KAS:ST - Hell On Earth

Back to my entries now and the first one to drop out at #5 is KAS:ST with 'Hell On Earth' a techno electronic duo who remind me of Underworld and the song gives off them vibes with the music. The film that the spoken words come from is The Network released in 1976. Peter Finch the actor behind it passed away two months after the film so that was a coincidence in a way with that being the last film he ever did in his lifetime. The words especially sum up the situation with COVID and other things with the world and it really has felt like Hell On Earth literally. I entered the track in September and quite rightly it smashed hard coming 3rd which was our second best performing entry until VNV Nation last month and both of these two artists mentioned had seen Summericia in the lead of the results throughout the night on and off before falling back in the end. The power *.*

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 17th February 2021, 05:56 PM
Post #57
Group icon
Rob aah

4 Taylor Swift Ft Bon Iver - exile

Taylor's final appearance in my EOY and it comes in the form of 'exile', a moving ballad which featured Indie folk band Bon Iver who have been around as long as Taylor and were only really known for their song 'Skinny Love' in the UK. This was a wonderful collaboration though and really brought the best out of both of them, his voice complemented Taylor's especially. Definitely the best song off folklore for me. It's currently nominated for Best Pop/Duo/Group performance at 63rd Grammy's as well. I know she might not even notice this thread but I'm sure Sam would be pleased to see a Taylor song finally this high as I don't think she's ever been top 5 in my EOY.. oops kink.gif

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 17th February 2021, 06:05 PM
Post #58
Group icon
Rob aah

3 songs remain and they are... CHROM, Faouzia and Miley Cyrus but in what order will they fall ohmy.gif I'll be revealing on the weekend!

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 23rd February 2021, 10:04 AM
Post #59
Group icon
Rob aah

3 Faouzia - Tears of Gold

Moroccan-Canadian 20 year old Faouzia was entered by us into the first contest of 2020 and finished at an impressive 6th place with 'Tears of Gold'. What is there that can't be said about it really, just an all out pop beast accompanied by Faouzia's powerhouse vocals. It's safe to say this is my favourite of my poppier entries and is still sounds as fresh and impactful as the first time.

2 CHROM - The Start of Something New

Industrial band CHROM come second with a 2016 song so by virtue if different rules were in place Faouzia would technically be my 2nd place. 'The Start of Something New' was sent back in the summer and finished 20th which was respectable for us. I had saved this for a while longer than some other entries as sometimes it just helps if you don't throw all your potentials away too fast.. Turns out CHROM also had double exposure as they were sent to the Popjustice contest AND came top 10 there!! That's really unexpected as popjustice is really lenient on just pop music so for that to smash as hard as it did was really cool (I haven't been in the contest for the record).

This post has been edited by Rob S: 23rd February 2021, 10:06 AM

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 23rd February 2021, 10:17 AM
Post #60
Group icon
Rob aah

Miley Cyrus - Midnight Sky

So here we are at long last and for the very first time Miley Cyrus tops an EOY with the excellent 'Midnight Sky'. Miley has really come into her own with this era in my opinion, Plastic Hearts overall is a very solid album as well packed with more rocky pop belters featuring legends like Billy Idol (one of my favourite songs off the album as shown in the countdown) and Joan Jett. The track was met with universal praise and her vocals especially being a huge factor in that. I thought 'Wrecking Ball' was going to potentially remain my favourite Miley track but this just smashed it out the park and I don't think it deserves anything less than being number 1 either. 'I was born to run' indeed! *.*

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 01:12 PM