BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Calum's Top 300 ∙ EOY 2020, A year of #WONDER - COMPLETED!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 9th January 2021, 09:08 PM
Post #41
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Vamps and Conan deserve more x

Strong showing for Kesha! ohmy.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 10th January 2021, 05:53 AM
Post #42
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

Calum heart.gif

These are the TV shows I watched in 2020 (apart from Derry Girls which I watched in 2019):

01 Love, Victor
05 Doctor Who
07 Never Have I Ever
12 The Stranger
18 13 Reasons Why
19 Schitt's Creek
23 The Good Place
25 The Politician
27 Derry Girls
32 Grace & Frankie
36 Dash & Lily
37 The Great British Bake Off

Love, Victor - it's not without its minor flaws, but they were quite easy to push to one side because overall it was a great series, with a great lead character/actor, a generally good supporting cast, and compelling storylines. I can't wait for season 2! Other highlights for me: Never Have I Ever was hugely enjoyable (and not just for Paxton's abs xx), Schitt's Creek was a triumph, and Dash & Lily was very cute and heartwarming wub.gif

I haven't got around to seeing the final season of The 100 yet cry.gif I was holding off for it to air on E4 but for some reason it still hasn't unsure.gif

~

In a Dream is the only EP I've heard from your Top 5, and what a fantastic EP it is *.* Troye is so consistently brilliant heart.gif

Conan, Niall, Katy, Selena, Ariana are the only albums I've heard from your albums list so far ohmy.gif I think I'd agree with you that Conan is the strongest out of these!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th January 2021, 01:37 PM
Post #43
Group icon
nabad
User: 18,316

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Jan 9 2021, 09:08 PM) *
Vamps and Conan deserve more x

Strong showing for Kesha! ohmy.gif

Thanks Joseph! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Jay❄ @ Jan 10 2021, 05:53 AM) *
Calum heart.gif

These are the TV shows I watched in 2020 (apart from Derry Girls which I watched in 2019):

Love, Victor - it's not without its minor flaws, but they were quite easy to push to one side because overall it was a great series, with a great lead character/actor, a generally good supporting cast, and compelling storylines. I can't wait for season 2! Other highlights for me: Never Have I Ever was hugely enjoyable (and not just for Paxton's abs xx), Schitt's Creek was a triumph, and Dash & Lily was very cute and heartwarming wub.gif

I haven't got around to seeing the final season of The 100 yet cry.gif I was holding off for it to air on E4 but for some reason it still hasn't unsure.gif

~

In a Dream is the only EP I've heard from your Top 5, and what a fantastic EP it is *.* Troye is so consistently brilliant heart.gif

Conan, Niall, Katy, Selena, Ariana are the only albums I've heard from your albums list so far ohmy.gif I think I'd agree with you that Conan is the strongest out of these!

Hi Jay! heart.gif

Glad we're on the same page about most of those TV shows, all were amazing watches this year! wub.gif

omg we should watch the final season of The 100 together then because I'm only one episode in lmao!

Thanks for commenting Jay!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th January 2021, 01:39 PM
Post #44
Group icon
nabad

Top 40 Albums of 2020

06 5 Seconds of Summer - CALM
07 Callum Beattie - People Like Us
08 HRVY - Can Anybody Hear Me?
09 Isaac Dunbar - isaac's insects
10 Little Mix - Confetti

5 Seconds of Summer went up against Dua Lipa's Future Nostalgia earlier in the year, and just clinched her to #1 officially by a small number. Fast forward to the end of the year, and they're just shy of the top five here. CALM, their fourth album, continues the departure in sound from their more typical pop-rock sound from the first two albums, and there's so much to enjoy on it. Songs like Easier, Teeth, No Shame, Old Me and Wildflower made this a no-skip album, with other album tracks like Red Desert, Best Years, Not in the Same Way, Thin White Lies, etc making for a great listen. I was late to the party with Callum Beattie's People Like Us, only discovering it towards the end of the year having heard a couple of his songs on the radio in passing (Salamander Street mainly), but after listening in full it became a multi-week #1 album in my chart, with so much goodness on it. He's basically a male version of Amy MacDonald in terms of lyricism, and basically every song on the album had me excited. A great debut, with the songs from the deluxe edition released at the end of the year being just as brilliant!

Technically HRVY's album Can Anybody Hear Me? doesn't exist, so I'll leave it to your imagination how it's ended up in the top 10 (!) albums of the year, but given we'd basically heard all of the album bar a few songs, it's earned its place here. Earlier in the year we had singles NEVERMIND and Good Vibes, and both are incredible, while the new tracks aren't quite on the same level, but are still great and round out the album nicely. Isaac Dunbar's second outing isaac's insects floored me when I first listened. It included a BJSC entry of mine - makeup drawer - and every other song on this was great. Another instant #1 for Isaac in my album chart, it's proven that he's just going from strength to strength, and I can't wait for his next instalment due to be released early this year! Finally, Little Mix's sixth album Confetti went up against all-time favourite Kylie Minogue in the official albums chart in November. Both albums are excellent, and Confetti is just full of pop goodness. All of the singles (bar Break Up Song) are firm favourites, while promo singles Not a Pop Song and Happiness, and album tracks like A Mess (Happy 4 U), Gloves Up and Breathe prove it's all killer no filler.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 10th January 2021, 02:45 PM
Post #45
Group icon

HRVY so high already cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th January 2021, 07:04 PM
Post #46
Group icon
nabad

cheeseblock.png

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th January 2021, 07:24 PM
Post #47
Group icon
nabad

Top 40 Albums of 2020

01 Shawn Mendes - Wonder
02 Lady Gaga - Chromatica
03 Kylie Minogue - DISCO
04 Lauv - ~how i'm feeling~
05 Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia

Time for the biggest shock ever - Shawn Mendes' fourth album Wonder is my number one album of 2020! Released in the final month of the year, Wonder instantly became my favourite album of Shawn's, with almost every track serving. Preceded by two singles - Wonder and Monster - I was definitely hyped. The album has failed to have any kind of commercial impact officially, despite clinching the #1 spot in the US, but that hasn't stopped it in my chart. It's now on its fifth consecutive week at the top and shows no signs of slowing down. I think the only weak points on the album for me are 24 Hours, Monster (oops) and Can't Imagine. Everything else is perfect - from Teach Me How to Love and Higher (missed single opportunities) to the title track, Dream, Song For No One, Call My Friends, 305, Always Been You, Piece of You and Look Up at the Stars, I honestly don't think I can say a bad word about any of them? If this is the kind of album that underperforms for Shawn, then oh my. Without a doubt the best to have come out of 2020, and the hype and build-up to its release was great, and I'm now the happy owner of a number of formats too.

In second place is Lady Gaga with her album Chromatica, another instant fave upon listening. I didn't quite know what to expect from a new Gaga album, but I was blown away. Stupid Love was the perfect way to introduce us to this new world with a perfect, quintessentially Gaga pop hook, and then we have other songs like Fun Tonight (my personal favourite if you didn't already know!), 911, 1000 Doves, Free Woman and Sine From Above all serving in the best way. Definitely an album that I keep going back to, it's just a shame we're probably never going to have the perfect run of hit singles we imagined. Just behind at #3 is Kylie Minogue's fifteenth studio album DISCO, experimenting once again with a new sound following the massive success of her country-inspired album Golden, and off the back off her greatest hits album Step Back in Time: The Definitive Collection. Lead single Say Something had me ready for whatever was to come, however grat I Love It hit a bump in the road and I wasn't sure if I was going to be 100% on board with the project, but when the album finally dropped, well... it was just fantastic in every sense of the word?! There's so much to enjoy on DISCO and it's probably one of Kylie's most cohesive, enjoyable albums to date for me! Real Groove, Magic, Monday Blues, Supernova, Last Chance, Where Does the DJ Go?, Dance Floor Darling and Celebrate You all offer something individual while sticking to the core theme - a throwback to the disco days that still manages to sound modern and fresh!

After what felt like 100 promo singles, it was finally time for Lauv to unleash his jam-packed album ~how i'm feeling~ early in 2020, and oh my god what an album this is. My favourite thing about Lauv is that he isn't afraid to speak about issues that are deeply personal to him through his lyrics - we have songs like Modern Loneliness, Changes, Feelings, Sad Forever and f***, i'm lonely on the album all speaking about mental health in some way or another, and he manages to just make the songs so fun at the same time. The album, while long, is great from start to finish and although there definitely is some filler that we could've done without, it's great to have a full, well-rounded project from him. Personal favourites from the album include Canada (a collaboration with Alessia Cara) and Lonely Eyes, both incredible! Can't wait to see what Lauv does next because his recent output has been consistently great. Finally, at #5 we have Dua Lipa's Future Nostalgia. An incredible pop album from start to finish that proves she wasn't planning on having a sophomore slump. I don't think there's a bad moment on this album, even if some songs are better than others. My personal favourite Cool just fits in perfectly with everything else, while Physical, Break My Heart, Hallucinate and Levitating are all incredible too. And she's out-peaked 5SOS here, an achievement!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 10th January 2021, 07:27 PM
Post #48
Group icon

An unsurprisingly but deserved #1 *.* and an excellent top 5 tbh x

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th January 2021, 08:12 PM
Post #49
Group icon
nabad

Top 40 Albums of 2020

01 Shawn Mendes - Wonder
02 Lady Gaga - Chromatica
03 Kylie Minogue - DISCO
04 Lauv - ~how i'm feeling~
05 Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia
06 5 Seconds of Summer - CALM
07 Callum Beattie - People Like Us
08 HRVY - Can Anybody Hear Me?
09 Isaac Dunbar - isaac's insects
10 Little Mix - Confetti

11 The Vamps - Cherry Blossom
12 Conan Gray - Kid Krow
13 Grant Knoche - COLOR ME BLUE
14 New Hope Club - New Hope Club
15 The Aces - Under My Influence
16 Cameron Dallas - Dear Scarlett
17 Halsey - MANIC
18 Luca Hänni - 110 Karat
19 Kesha - High Road
20 Niall Horan - Heartbreak Weather

21 Katy Perry - Smile
22 Aitch - Polaris
23 Selena Gomez - Rare
24 Declan McKenna - Zeros
25 LANY - mama's boy
26 Josef Salvat - modern anxiety
27 iann dior - I'm Gone
28 Reed Deming - Second Life
29 Keiynan Lonsdale - Rainbow Boy
30 Tori Kelly - A Tori Kelly Christmas

31 Ariana Grande - Positions
32 Amy MacDonald - The Human Demands
33 Tom Gregory - Heaven in a World So Cold
34 Gabrielle Aplin - Dear Happy
35 Paloma Faith - Infinite Things
36 Miley Cyrus - Plastic Hearts
37 Rhys Lewis - Things I Chose to Remember
38 Trevor Daniel - Nicotine
39 Will Jay - Perfectionist
40 Justin Bieber - Changes

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th January 2021, 08:12 PM
Post #50
Group icon
nabad

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Jan 10 2021, 07:27 PM) *
An unsurprisingly but deserved #1 *.* and an excellent top 5 tbh x

Thanks Joseph wub.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th January 2021, 08:45 PM
Post #51
Group icon
nabad

Top 300 Songs of 2020

291 Lil Nas X feat. Nas - Rodeo
292 Grace Davies - Amsterdam
293 Charlie Puth - Free
294 MAX feat. Hayley Kiyoko - Missed Calls
295 aboutagirl - SnOoZe
296 Jawsh 685 feat. Lauv & Tyga - Sweet & Sour
297 Grant Knoche - DIAL TONE
298 Lukas James - I Do
299 Cameron Dallas - Stay the Night
300 Mario Bautista, Austin Mahone & Lalo Ebratt - MIAMI

Let's get this countdown started then! At the bottom of the pack we see Lil Nas X and his re-vamped version of Rodeo, a song that originally had Cardi B on vocals, but she was swapped out for Nas. Grace Davies' Amsterdam wasn't the best of the songs from her EP this year, but still a nice song. Charlie Puth's soundtrack song Free, MAX's collaboration with Hayley Kiyko and aboutagirl's song SnOoZe all appear here, while Jawsh 685's follow up to Savage Love, Sweet & Sour featuring Lauv and Tyga, didn't really hit the mark but it's always good to hear Lauv on vocals. Also down this end we have DIAL TONE, one of the tracks from Grant Knoche's COLOR ME BLUE. Lukas James' song I Do, an album track from Cameron Dallas' album and the latest in a long line of Austin Mahone's "comeback" (although with this one, at least its promo didn't come from OnlyFans) all appear too.

+Quote this post
Calum
post 10th January 2021, 09:53 PM
Post #52
Group icon
nabad

Top 300 Songs of 2020

281 Grant Knoche - AS IT SHOULD
282 Cosmo's Midnight feat. Ruel - Down For You
283 Cameron Dallas - Used to Me
284 payton - Hard to Breathe
285 Katy Perry - What Makes a Woman
286 Elliot Jones - Do It Again
287 tyler drama - gone
288 Alex Holtti - Piece of You
289 Nathan Gurd - I Got You
290 LANY - you!

More Grant Knoche in this section, with AS IT SHOULD, one of the best songs from COLOR ME BLUE, appearing. Cosmo's Midnight's collaboration with Ruel didn't make much of an impression on me to begin with, but it's grown over the course of the year. We see another Cameron Dallas album track as Used to Me finishes inside the top 300, while Hard to Breathe, the follow-up to payton's single Love Letter, makes a splash and hopefully a sign of more goodness to come from him. Katy Perry's What Makes a Woman is a cute little track, but ultimately remained just that in the end after failing to make a lasting impression in my chart. Elliot Jones released more new music in 2020 with Do It Again being a bop, while tyler drama has released consistently throughout the year, gone being a great track but with others yet to come. I discovered Alex Holtti on my Discover Weekly playlist, and Piece of You is a great track, so hopefully I'll be hearing more from him soon. Nathan Gurd's I Got You is a basic pop song, but still sounds really pleasant now - definitely room for him to flourish into a great young artist. Finally, LANY's song you! charted just before they released their new album mama's boy, and it's one of my favourites by them.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 11th January 2021, 06:26 PM
Post #53
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

Confetti & Future Nostalgia in the top 10 wub.gif

I prefer the Nas version of 'Rodeo' than the Cardi B so glad to see it be the one to appear here smile.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 11th January 2021, 08:25 PM
Post #54
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

Giving Missed Calls a listen, it sounds quite nice although I do think I prefer Working For The Weekend. I do need to give more of MAX's music a listen though as I did enjoy his vocals when he featured on dance songs!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 11th January 2021, 08:41 PM
Post #55
Group icon

Down for You had quite a short run for me but I find it still sounds really fresh now, could easily slot into the Bright Lights, Red Eyes EP too!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 11th January 2021, 10:47 PM
Post #56
Group icon
nabad

QUOTE(LewisGT @ Jan 11 2021, 06:26 PM) *
Confetti & Future Nostalgia in the top 10 wub.gif

I prefer the Nas version of 'Rodeo' than the Cardi B so glad to see it be the one to appear here smile.gif

Hmm, I think I slightly prefer the Cardi version of Rodeo, but the Nas version is still great!

Thanks for commenting Lewis! happy.gif

QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 11 2021, 08:25 PM) *
Giving Missed Calls a listen, it sounds quite nice although I do think I prefer Working For The Weekend. I do need to give more of MAX's music a listen though as I did enjoy his vocals when he featured on dance songs!

I find his earlier music is a lot better than his new music, but that's probably just me! laugh.gif Working For the Weekend is a great track too though!

Thanks for commenting, Pete! biggrin.gif

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Jan 11 2021, 08:41 PM) *
Down for You had quite a short run for me but I find it still sounds really fresh now, could easily slot into the Bright Lights, Red Eyes EP too!

That's a good call actually! A lot of his recent features would definitely fit in well on the EP!

Thanks Joseph! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post 11th January 2021, 11:39 PM
Post #57
Group icon
nabad

Top 300 Songs of 2020

271 Julie and the Phantoms Cast feat. Madison Reyes - Wake Up
272 Omar Apollo feat. Ruel - Want U Around
273 Alesso feat. Liam Payne - Midnight
274 Foxes - Love Not Loving You
275 Cameron Dallas - Dangerous
276 AJ Tracey feat. MoStack - Dinner Guest
277 Will Callan - Losing Our Minds
278 Callum Beattie - Mouth of a Tiger
279 Peter Thomas - Watching TV With the Sound Off
280 Jennifer Lopez - In the Morning

I just recently finished watching Julie and the Phantoms on Netflix, but that hasn't stopped one of the soundtrack songs featuring here. Madison Reyes' song Wake Up was the first moment during the show where I actually sat up and was like 'wow' at one of the songs (with more following later)! It's such a beautiful song. Relatively unknown Omar Apollo collaborated with Ruel on his EP towards the end of the year, and Want U Around manages to make it into the top 300. Alesso and Liam Payne collaborated on Midnight together, and while it's an okay listen it hasn't aged incredibly well - it's pretty basic, generic Liam at his best. Foxes has been drip-feeding releases in 2020, with Love Not Loving You being one of those, though it's probably among the least good songs that she's brought out. More Cameron Dallas, this time one of the 'singles' from Dear Scarlett, Dangerous. AJ Tracey and MoStack's Dinner Guest is a fun song, although ultimately not my favourite by either artist. Will Callan's Losing Our Minds is amazing, but probably one of Will's weakest releases to date (there's more to come from him!). Callum Beattie's album track Mouth of a Tiger appears, while at the bottom of this section BJSC entry from Flynnonda, Watching TV With the Sound Off, appears and Jennifer Lopez's latest single In the Morning proved to be a bit of a bop!

+Quote this post
Calum
post 12th January 2021, 09:05 PM
Post #58
Group icon
nabad

Top 300 Songs of 2020

261 R3HAB & HRVY - Be Okay
262 Daniel Blume - Kardashian
263 Plested - Beautiful & Brutal
264 Spencer Sutherland - Too Many Friends
265 Jason Derulo - Take You Dancing
266 LANY - good guys
267 Selena Gomez - Boyfriend
268 Isaac Dunbar - boy
269 GRACEY & Alexander 23 - Like That
270 Gabby Barrett feat. Charlie Puth - I Hope

Next up we have a lot of different styles. By the time R3HAB and HRVY's collaboration Be Okay arrived, I was rolling my eyes at R3HAB releasing a new song almost every week of the year. This is a good song, but ultimately not the best by either, and pretty generic. Daniel Blume released his song Kardashian and it was an instant bop for me. Plested's Beautiful & Brutal is probably my least favourite of his output (mostly just because every other song of his is SO good), but it's still a decent track. Spencer Sutherland has released a lot of songs since his time on The X Factor, however Too Many Friends is definitely up there among his absolute best, arriving late in 2020. Jason Derulo's Take You Dancing is reminiscent of when he served bop after bop, however it failed to make a serious impression in my chart. LANY's good guys appears and Selena Gomez's Boyfriend is probably further down than anticipated, but I haven't gone back many times to listen. Isaac Dunbar's boy, from his isaac's insects project is a solid track, while GRACEY's collaboration with Alexander 23 is a soft bop that continued her trend of great music following Empty Love just before it. Gabby Barrett and Charlie Puth teamed up for I Hope, and while it's not one I've gone back to loads I remember just how nice it is when I do return to it, and when I was compiling this list.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 13th January 2021, 02:26 PM
Post #59
Group icon

Dinner Guest cheeseblock.png one of the bops of lockdown 1.0 x

+Quote this post
ElectroBoy
post 13th January 2021, 03:17 PM
Post #60
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 3,002

Funny seeing Be Okay being on both yours and Joseph's recent EOY batches biggrin.gif

Its got a fair bit high on my EOY Chart

+Quote this post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 25th April 2024, 04:56 AM