BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Chez 20 for 2020, Finished!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post 31st January 2021, 06:06 AM
Post #41
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Every FalKKonE song I've heard is great, I need to check more of his stuff out, I'm normally very into the sort of artists who dig into geek culture (and I see he's done a lot of Touhou covers lately which are normally great music even though I've never played the games), I didn't know he did that, I was only really familiar with his classical stuff!

These sorts of metal classical covers reminds me of PelleK, seeing Danganronpa and Durarara! covers as things he's done lately are very hype, and I even spy a cover of absolute classic 'Platinum Disco' going further down *.*

The Turkish one also sounds pretty great.

(breathe deserved better </3)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 31st January 2021, 05:22 PM
Post #42
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
QUOTE(PeteFromLeeds @ Jan 30 2021, 07:40 PM) *
Giving Breathe a play now, I can see why this is something you are into! I think I understand it a bit more now I've read your commentary on it, the bit where the beat cuts out really is haunting.

It really is a song where it's given so much more power when knowing the context, I understand in BJSC not everyone can know that on first listen so I suppose it going out wasn't too much of a surprise but still, my sentiment still stands cool.gif

QUOTE(Iz 💀 @ Jan 31 2021, 06:06 AM) *
Every FalKKonE song I've heard is great, I need to check more of his stuff out, I'm normally very into the sort of artists who dig into geek culture (and I see he's done a lot of Touhou covers lately which are normally great music even though I've never played the games), I didn't know he did that, I was only really familiar with his classical stuff!

These sorts of metal classical covers reminds me of PelleK, seeing Danganronpa and Durarara! covers as things he's done lately are very hype, and I even spy a cover of absolute classic 'Platinum Disco' going further down *.*

The Turkish one also sounds pretty great.

(breathe deserved better </3)

He's done so many geek culture and meme stuff, I think you'd be familiar with a lot more of them than I am to be honest!

Top 3 time!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 31st January 2021, 05:30 PM
Post #43
Group icon

3. London Grammar – Baby It’s You

It is lovely seeing the reassuring presence of an old favourite prove they've still got it. I've always loved the lush and dulcet tones of London Grammar, atmospheric and haunting production fits perfectly with the stunning, soprano-esque vocals and while I do find them to be more of a singles band based on the album I've heard, they do those singles great. A lot of artists that I really loved in the past just haven't quite connected with me this time, but no so in this case. Baby It's You has much more of an electronic edge than some of their other singles but there's no less power there, if anything it works wonderfully as this silently sprawling electronic spark blowing under Hannah Reid's beautiful tones. The lyrics are fairly simple, but it's a much more refreshing and uplifting sound than I'm used to by them and it was go-to, feel good song in the autumn. The comeback we really needed.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 31st January 2021, 05:44 PM
Post #44
Group icon

2. The Weeknd – Blinding Lights

Oh Chez, stop, you're going way too indie there, I mean you do want at least a couple of people that actually know your top 2 right? hurr hurr. Yeah, for all my anti-chart sentiments, I can still get behind some mega hits and this was one most mega no matter what those corrupt Grammys say. There's honestly not much I can say about this that hasn't already been said, it was just one of those songs that truly connected through just being a great song - helped with a great dose of 80s inspiration that instantly makes it stand out from most popular hits and a simplistic yet fairly infectious and accessible structure just makes it timeless, all those many weeks in the chart were highly deserved and I can't say overplay has really affected it for me. I do definitely want to check out the parent album as I'm all over an 80s influenced sound, but this as it is has still proved one of my best listening experiences of the year and will surely be THE song of 2020

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 31st January 2021, 06:02 PM
Post #45
Group icon

1. Lawrence Rothman feat. Marissa Nadler – It’s Hard to be Human

But I will stay true to my "indie" roots for my favourite with one that not a lot of you would know apart from those that were in the Unknown Pleasures edition that I sent this too in the summer. This was another one that really struck me on the first listen by how haunting and building it was. It was apparently to coincide with Earth Day and you can certainly feel the atmospheric and vast sound it's going for and the lyrics reflecting an ode to the Earth, I suppose the dark and mournful tone hits a lot harder when you realise what we do to the Earth. But whatever its subject matter, it's a gorgeous song, Rothman's vocals are restrained and low and they prove a great precursor to the chilling combination of Marissa Nadler and the children's choir chorus that comes in, it only grows in quiet intensity as it goes on and despite not being the most appropriate for the summer, it was one I returned to a lot. I guess it's stuck with me the most as a combinations of its lyrical sentiments (it certainly can be!) and dark and sombre tone and environmental background make it really something I can relate to particularly in a year like this. If you don't know it, I would highly recommend a listen, it's a beautiful and haunting listen that stays with you long after despite it's short run time.

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 31st January 2021, 06:10 PM
Post #46
Group icon
1. Lawrence Rothman feat. Marissa Nadler – It’s Hard to be Human
3. London Grammar – Baby It’s You
4. Pale Blue – Breathe
5. FalKKonE feat. Rena – Simarik (Kiss Kiss)
6. Headphone Activist – Mihkal
7. Dua Lipa - Physical
8. Active Child – Painted Staircase
9. Fractal Dreamers – Azure of the Horizon
10. Sufjan Stevens – My Rajneesh
11. LAAKE – Run
12. Taylor Swift – Epiphany
13. Joywave – Half Your Age
14. Hurtsfall – 12 Long Years
15. Sub Focus feat. Wilkinson & PAWWS – Ray of Sun
16. Dance with the Dead – Scar
17. Miley Cyrus – Midnight Sky
18. Amnesia Scanner – AS Tearless
19. Clock Opera – I Surrender
20. Hudson Mohawke – Love Minus Zero

Thank you all very much for reading and commenting throughout (I am still reading around here so rest assured I'm trying to reciprocate!), it perhaps went on a bit longer than I'd hoped but it was just felt refreshing to do something fairly low effort after my last project in here laugh.gif For 2021, I hope I can listen to more newer music so I can make this a bit more of a longer list (not going too bad so far, heard a handful of current songs I'm quite into~) as I guess I was so focused on retro music this year, I didn't have a lot of time for newer stuff.

Until next year, jump.gif

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 1st February 2021, 07:42 PM
Post #47
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Well I know both your #3 and your #2 so time to listen to your #1 magic.gif I can't say I remember it from Unknown Pleasures unfortunately but hearing it now it is a really good piece of music, the simple backing music throughout is really effective and the harmonies go with that so well. I really should pay it some more attention!

Thanks for posting this Chez, I've enjoyed following along!

+Quote this post
RabbitFurCoat
post 2nd February 2021, 06:11 PM
Post #48
Group icon
IncredibleSquirrel
User: 118
Hey Chez, good chart here. A great top 3, felt i underpointed the Lawrence song at the time as it continued to grow. It's great to see one of my BJSC entries in here, with the additional love from Bre too. 12 Long Years was a great track that I had to share, I've listened to all of their releases and whilst I like them all, the recent one Stars is the only other one I've really grown to think is great.

I've checked out a few of the ones I didn't know, the Sufjan one is my favourite and will definitely keep listening. I've enjoyed three of the songs he released this year but I tend not to listen to full albums as never been that bothered with anything past Illinois. I've been meaning to check out more Falkkone since your BJSC entry but not got round to it, though I know I didn't like the Nuggets entry. This one I'm not totally sold on but I'm not disliking it either!

I included Breathe in my BJSC Best of 2020 list, a shame it never qualified as it was another great entry of yours. Epiphany is a great choice of Taylor song, definitely rank that in my top 3 on the album

+Quote this post
Jade
post 2nd February 2021, 08:47 PM
Post #49
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
Hey again Chez - I'll make sure to go through your 9/10 albums while I'm still working from home, I feel that could be for quite a while laugh.gif and I take back what I said about 'Rain On Me' shade then, actually what you said about it describes my feelings about Rina Sawayama's 'LUCID' which is compared to 'Rain On Me', idek kink.gif

Ooh I remember that entry from you at #1 here - just looked up my points from that edition and I gave it 6, so yeah, good winner here. Perhaps our next Unknown Pleasures points exchange can look a little more like the latest edition of Club Bizarre (albeit with different scoring system x)

Love that choice of #2 <3 I remember initially preferring 'Heartless' to 'Blinding Lights' which seemed so weird on paper as I do like a good synth. But then I gave it a few more listens and it soared ahead in my affections. I've heard it plenty of times now, of course kink.gif love that him and Dua have been revitalising this 80s synth sound in mainstream music, with others such as Little Mix and Miley following suit, may it continue into 2021 *.*

'Baby It's You' is also a lovely choice heart.gif I must admit that 'Californian Soil' has been my absolute highlight from the era so far but that song is really pretty too. Can't wait for the album even if it keeps being pushed back cry.gif laugh.gif

Great countdown, congrats on completing cheer.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 3rd February 2021, 03:12 PM
Post #50
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530
Hey Chez! biggrin.gif Love seeing Physical in your top 10, it seems rare that a pop song like that is so universally loved across the site, I'm not sure I've seen anyone dislike it? ohmy.gif Blinding Lights is similar though, I prefer In Your Eyes and Save Your Tears personally but it's a song that you just can't deny!

+Quote this post
Roba.
post 17th February 2021, 07:03 PM
Post #51
Group icon
Rob aah
User: 3,804
Hi Chez, my faves

7. Dua Lipa - Physical I think this will just be in practically everyone's top 10 laugh.gif
9. Fractal Dreamers – Azure of the Horizon
11. LAAKE – Run
12. Taylor Swift – Epiphany
16. Dance with the Dead – Scar not heard this ooh.
17. Miley Cyrus – Midnight Sky heart.gif
18. Amnesia Scanner – AS Tearless

great stuff happy.gif

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 09:15 AM