BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

10 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spice Girls Solo Singles Rate: RESULTS, Edited the results + full results revealed
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
McAndrew
post Nov 19 2017, 11:08 PM
Post #81
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 39,551
   No Gallery Pics

I was blown away by Mel's debut with 'I Want You Back'.

I never thought she'd be first off the blocks to a solo career. But on hearing this track, I really believed Mel could be a megastar in her own right.

The TV performances were great too - choreography and look both on point.

She had so much potential! What happened?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Nov 21 2017, 12:25 AM
Post #82
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

When everything you seem to do just drives me crazy

#20. Emma Bunton - Take My Breath Away [7.092]

Highest Scores: 10: (Jonjo, LazySpice'88), 9.5/9: (Euphorique, Jay, Maurice)
Lowest Scores: 0: (Supercell), 4: (liamk97)

Starting off the top 20 is Emma Bunton's 'Take My Breath Away', which was released in August 2001 as the 3rd single to be taken from her debut album 'A Girl Like Me' and peaked at #5 on the UK charts, becoming her 3rd top 5 hit in a row. A firm fan favourite upon the album's release and probably the most obvious follow up to her chart topping smash hit 'What Took You So Long'.

This is a really nice song that's breezy and has that perfect summery vibe and okay it may not be as breath-taking as the title suggests, but it's still a solid enough pop ballad with it's very sweet and mellow vibe and yeah I do agree that it is a perfect follow up single. There is a really nice romantic vibe going on with this as well which mainly lies in the song's lyrics and the dream like production really gives the song a laid-back vibe, perfect for relaxing on that hot summer's day. Another interesting fact about this is that 'Tin, Tin Out' did a single mix of this song for it's release, as well as producing 2 other tracks on her album which are both covers. But they're work on this really gives the song that extra bit of lift that it needed and ended up giving her a well deserved top 5 hit.

While the song may not be to everyone's taste, maybe it's a bit too-sickly sweet and to be honest it's not the most interesting of solo offerings from the Spice Girls, but I don't mind it and actually like it, even if it is a bit too soft, but Emma makes it work with her delicate vocal range which suits the song perfectly. Another fact is that this only just scraped the top 20 by 0.5 points and has remained pretty popular throughout, so this is a decent result for this song, which I'd probably rank a little bit lower, but Buzzjack voters have spoken.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Nov 22 2017, 06:12 PM

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Nov 21 2017, 09:29 AM
Post #83
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

Very surprised to see 'Take My Breath Away' in the top twenty. But then, Baby Bunton's vocals are sweet and flawless.

But, imo, she should have released 'High on Love' instead.

Thanks again SamJudd. You must be relieved to have finally reached the top 20. I'm really enjoying your work!

This post has been edited by Michael Andrew: Nov 21 2017, 09:33 AM

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Nov 21 2017, 09:35 AM
Post #84
The Lady Said Go Home!
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

What I am should have been top 20 great song wub.gif

+Quote Post
missingyou
post Nov 21 2017, 02:01 PM
Post #85
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 4,429
   No Gallery Pics

For Once In My Life
What Took You So Long
Maybe
Northern Star
Feels So Good

^ that would be my preferred top five wub.gif

+Quote Post
vibe
post Nov 21 2017, 02:19 PM
Post #86
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

TMBA did well to reach the top 5 . It really is not a strong single. It beat superior songs in this poll.

+Quote Post
JB2o2o
post Nov 21 2017, 05:06 PM
Post #87
New Entry
Member No.: 39,575
   No Gallery Pics

The whole GLM album singles deserved to be out already....MAYBE WTYSL could be in’s till but honestly. No. Much better singles have already been gone

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Nov 22 2017, 12:02 AM
Post #88
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

WHAT!?!? WTYSL is one the the strongest solo spice tracks!!!

I always thought high on love was the most obvious second single. Also thought a girl like me should have been third.

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Nov 22 2017, 10:23 AM
Post #89
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

'What Took You So Long' is perfect. It makes me want to dance but it also makes me strangely melancholic at the same time. All the emotions. Love it.

I really hope it comes higher than 'It's Raining Men'.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Nov 22 2017, 01:40 PM
Post #90
   No Gallery Pics

I should be moving but I'm stuck

#19. Melanie C - Anymore [7.1]

Highest Scores: 10: (vibe, engineer), 9.5/9: (SanJudd, Lukuzz, Jay)
Lowest Scores: 0: (Supercell), 4: (iiiiii, missingyou)

At #19 is the other wildcard single from Melanie C, where many of you requested this and lands a respectable placing within the top 20. 'Anymore', released in September 2016 as the lead single from her 7th album 'Version Of Me' and marks a departure from her pop rock sound on her previous albums and move more towards an uptempo electropop sound. It failed to make a dent on the official UK singles chart, but did manage to top the UK Physical singles chart, as well as #26 on Radio Airplay chart.

To be honest I wasn't all that familiar with this up until I started doing this rate, and I'd originally left this one out to keep down the numbers, which turned out to be a not so wise choice on my behalf as listening to this song in preparation, I was missing out on something special. This is definitely the best thing she's done in years and first slice of original material since 2011. A fantastic piece of contemporary pop with very modern production that sounds fresh without trying too hard and the chorus just soars thanks to the funky bass in the background and need I say anything about Mel C's vocals which are on par as usual.

It's nice to see Melanie C reinventing her sound and image once again at this stage in her career, only this time showcasing a darker synth-pop break-up anthem, with larger than life production that's all the more clear that she's found a new liberation in life, she's moving past the heartbreak, to find the light at the end of the tunnel and she definitely commands attention with her powerful vocals. It's just a shame that this didn't take off in the way that it deserved, maybe 5 years ago it might have stood a chance when she had a chance of denting the charts, but now with all this streaming so many pop gems just falls through the cracks, but as long as there's good music like this out there, we still live in hope that things might change.

This is the only single from her 7th album to feature here and while this didn't quite make an impact on the charts, the album did manage a moderate #25 peak on the UK Albums chart, becoming her highest peak in 11 years, as well as managing top 40 peaks in 4 other countries. Since this release 3 more singles have been released, 'Dear Life', 'Hold On' (Ft Alex Francis)' (which only featured on the German release of the album), then finally her most recent single 'Room For Love'. All of which are fantastic and deserves to be hits as well in their own rights.

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Nov 22 2017, 06:12 PM

+Quote Post
vibe
post Nov 22 2017, 01:49 PM
Post #91
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Anymore deserved to be huge .

If the spice girls did comeback with a song of this quality it would work well.

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Nov 22 2017, 03:50 PM
Post #92
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

I love 'Anymore'. I don't mind that most people don't know about it. It makes it all the more special for the real fans.

Obviously, I'd like it to have made Melanie rich beyond her wildest dreams, of course.

I love the whole of 'Version of Me'. I've not felt that way about any of Melanie's preceding albums. I think that might be because VOM has a very consistent sound and a more confident, single-minded approach.

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Nov 22 2017, 07:06 PM
Post #93
   No Gallery Pics

You only regret what you don't do

#18. Melanie C - Think About It [7.25]

Highest Scores: 10: (Michael Andrews, vibe, Spiceboy, Jay, LazySpice88), 9: (liamk97)
Lowest Scores: 2: (Supercell), 3: (Hide&Seek)

At #18 is another Melanie C song to drop, 'Think About It', released in September 2011 as the 2nd overall single from her 5th studio album 'The Sea', another track 'Rock Me' was released as the lead single in Germany only as this served as the lead single worldwide. This marked yet another departure for Mel C from her usual pop rock sound to a more dance pop sound and garnered critical acclaim, but could only manage a #95 peak on the UK charts, but did find more success elsewhere by reaching top 40 peaks in Switzerland & Austria, while hitting top 50 in Germany becoming her final single to chart there to date.

This marked her first release in 4 years, during which she performed a stint performing in the West End, in the musical 'Blood Brothers' and also became mother and it was after this time that she started work on her 5th album with all these experiences it left her confident and strengthened as a vocalist as well as becoming more confident as a songwriter. After releasing 'Rock Me' for the official theme song for German TV channel ZDF's coverage of the *2011 FIFA Women's World Cup', and soon after she announced the release of her new album and new single.

Another underrated single by the fabulous Melanie C and the time away left her refreshed and ready to go and you can definitely tell she's grown as an artist and she really knows what style suits her vocally which shows in this as she blends her usual pop/rock sounds with Electronic and Electropop, all of which blend beautifully together on a strong upbeat anthem that's all about doing something that you know you shouldn't with some fantastic production by Cutfather that makes the whole thing sound very slick without being overly ambitious, even if it doesn't quite stand out from the crowd, but it's still a hell of a tune.

I honestly think that if this was the follow up to her 'Northern Star' album, then she could have definitely sustained her solo success as there are some fantastic songs to be had here such as 'Stupid Game' and the Buzzjack fan favourite 'Burn' which has to be one of the best songs she's ever done (why wasn't this a single). Two more singles were released from this project 'Weak' & 'Let There Be Love', neither of which made any impact on the charts unfortunately. But as 'Think About It' stands it's a very decent enough pop song which reveied a lot of love on Buzzjack with a whopping five 10's, a single score of 9 & seven 8's, resulting in a respectable top 20 placing on here.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Nov 22 2017, 07:44 PM
Post #94
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Anymore and Think About it deserve to be way higher !! If release in her prime they would have been huge!!!

+Quote Post
McAndrew
post Nov 22 2017, 09:44 PM
Post #95
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

Oh no! 'Think About It' is out way too soon.

This song makes me feel motivated, optimistic and brave. It's Melanie C at her exuberant best.

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Nov 22 2017, 10:37 PM
Post #96
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

I always think it's such a shame that Melanie didn't have think about it and anymore just after her Northern Star era! Although I love most of her records from the Reason to This Time era Think about it and Anymore are both on another level!

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Nov 23 2017, 12:17 AM
Post #97
Buffy/Charmed
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

I FORGOT TO VOTE!!

GIVE MY 11 TO NOT SUCH AN INNOCENT GIRL AND 10 TO OUT OF YOUR MIND!!!

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Nov 23 2017, 01:32 AM
Post #98
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Glad that both 'Anymore' and 'Think About It' made the Top 20 here. The latter is definitely within my Top 10 favourite solo singles, it was my favourite release of hers since I Turn to You! heart.gif Was gutted when it only made it to #95. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Nov 23 2017, 05:38 AM
Post #99
   No Gallery Pics

Cos Men are from Venus and Women are from Mars

#17. Geri Halliwell - Bag It Up [7.296]

Highest Scores: 11: (engineer), 10: (SamJudd, Hide&Seek, Michael Andrew, Maurice, LazySpice88, liamk97)
Lowest Scores: -1: (HarryApa), 1: (Jonjo)

At #17 is Geri Halliwell's 'Bag It Up' which was released in March 2000 as the 4th and final single from her debut album 'Schizophonic' and became her third consecutive solo chart topper and sold over 260,000 copies and earning a Silver disc. Geri promoted the single on several TV shows including the '2000 Brit Awards' which caused some controversy where she emerges from a pair of giant inflatable legs, along with male dancers with pink hotpants and Geri herself unbuttons her shirt during the song, all of which made this the talk of the evening as well as making headlines, which is nothing new for her, but hey it did get her to the top of charts though.

Wow talk about ending a very successful era with a bang with this Disco pop number that has all the ingredients that a song like this should have such as big band trumpets, a huge chorus and a great dance routine, along with a colourful music video which improves the song even further with her 'Girl Powder' gimmick all of which is very tongue in cheek of course. The song also commands your attention as soon as you hear it where she delivers her least subtle vocal at this point in her career and she's obviously enjoying every moment of it as she just roars throughout the mammoth chorus and honestly upon purchasing the album I had this as one of my top picks for a potential single and gladly I was correct.

What this song also does well in is that it showcases her personality as this larger than life pop culture icon, and yes this song is camp dialled up to a 1000, and full of her witty charm along with lyrics that are utter nonsense, but who cares this is just a fun if somewhat tacky pop song that has a clear message with no hidden meaning and goddamit she makes it work and at this stage in her career she could do no wrong (for the time being anyway).

This post has been edited by SamJudd: Nov 23 2017, 05:46 AM

+Quote Post
vibe
post Nov 23 2017, 06:46 AM
Post #100
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Bag it up !! Great fun track .

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:53 PM