BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Two Days, One Night, The Belgian entry for the "Best Foreign Language Film" 2015
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Insomnio
post Dec 10 2014, 09:57 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,742
   No Gallery Pics

"Two Days, One Night" is a social movie which has been showing in recent weeks in my country. It was nominated for the "Palme d'Or" at Cannes and although it did not win, it got good reviews. However, it won the "Sydney Film Prize" at the film festival in Sydney and it is the official proposal of Belgium in the category "Best Foreign Language Film" for the upcoming Oscars. The protagonist of the film is the famous French actress Marion Cottilard and she was the main reason to watch this movie in the cinema. I really appreciate this woman! I think she is one of the best actresses at the moment and she deserves the hype which is created around her name (at least in the film circles).
"Two Days, One Night" is based on the drama which is experienced by a young woman and mother of two children after her dismissal from the factory she works at. Her foreman puts 16 of her coworkers in a dilemma. They have to vote on the fact that Marion can continue to be their colleague or they can benefit for 1000 euros if she is fired . The result is bad for the central heroine but she decides to ask for a second chance demanding a secret ballot over a short period of time. The story unfolds in a very interesting way and the performance of Cotillard is very good. The two screenwriters Luc Dardenne and Jean-Pierre Dardenne co-wrote a very intriguing and timely story and they were not narrowed only in writing the script but they directed the film too. The dialogues are simple and concise and the story has some touching moments without reaching the verges of a melodrama. The performances from the cast is so realistic that you think you are seeing a true story on the big screen. Actually, I was very pleased with the outcome and it's probably the best movie I watched in recent weeks. I wish Greek directors / screenwriters could turn out such films apart from "Little England", all the other domestic productions seem to me well below average. Let alone, they are insipid and uninteresting too.
"Two Days, One Night" is definitely one of the best European films of the year. It has been nominated in three categories (People's Choice Award, Best Screenwriter, Best Actress) at the European Film Awards and I hope it wins some of them. It has been loved by the public and critics. It has also received a pretty good score on IMDb (7.5). It's a film with substance and I would recommend watching it to everyone because labor rights are something that concerns us all.

This post has been edited by Insomnio: Dec 12 2014, 01:18 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:57 PM