BuzzJack

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)
If you have forgotten your password and a recovery email has not arrived, please click here to send us an email.

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> The Fizz - Everything Under The Sun, New album out now
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
gooddelta
post 8th September 2022, 09:20 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Hello?
User: 116

The Fizz - Cheryl, Jay and Mike from Bucks Fizz - have released a new album today (not sure why a Thursday), Everything Under The Sun.

Seems to be on very limited release, available to download and on CD and 'coming soon' vinyl formats from their site, but not available to stream, and can't find it anywhere to buy elsewhere.

I downloaded it earlier, nice album on first listen, way more 80s sounding than their previous albums which sounded more like the sort of pop Mike Stock was producing for artists like Scooch at the turn of the century.

Some interesting info about it in this review from Retro Pop Magazine.

My early favourites are I Close My Eyes (very 80s Melodifestivalen), This One (one of my favourite Paul McCartney singles - great choice of song to cover!), and Everything We Do (We Do It For You).
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mullo
post 8th September 2022, 12:11 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 9,394

Its not available to stream which is just daft

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 8th September 2022, 01:30 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Hello?

I guess the last album didn't light up Spotify (121k streams for the biggest song from it and 15k for the smallest), so they must make precious little from streaming, and they know their fans will buy the record if they want to hear it.

I wonder if it might be added after some sort of exclusivity period. I must admit I would have streamed it rather than downloaded it, had it been on Spotify, so if a lot of people are in the same boat they'll make quite a lot more money.

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post 8th September 2022, 04:23 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 122,015

There appears to be a lot of talk between their hardcore fans on Facebook over the fact that it's not available to stream, not on iTunes and CD not available through Amazon, HMV etc.

It seems odd, but their first album as The Fizz (then called OBF - The Original Bucks Fizz) was Fame and Fortune? and it got a similar release. It was only when they brought in the fourth member and worked initially with Mike Stock that The A-Z of Pop was released to quite a lot of fanfare - with singles, videos, R2 playlisting, TV appearances. The album was really quite good as well.

Back as a trio, they released Smoke and Mirrors to less success and fanfare (still singles and videos though). I didn't buy the album; I'd listened and didn't think it was good apart from The World We Left Behind.

Now this album is released to nothing - no single, no video, no tour, no TV appearances - and a very low-key release. Absolutely no chance of charting. I'm not buying it unless I can hear it first and it's not on streaming. I listened to some 30 second clips on their website and hardly anything jumped out at me.

Kind of a shame really as Everything We Do sounded promising, at least, with it's Boys of Summer kinda style.

This post has been edited by CJK: 8th September 2022, 04:24 PM

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 8th September 2022, 09:53 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Hello?

I think overall this is a better, more consistent album than Smoke and Mirrors although that had two very good singles in The World We Left Behind and Winning Ways which this one perhaps lacks. I do particularly like the cover of This One though, interesting to see how the production on that could have sounded if Paul McCartney had worked with SAW in 1989.

It's a shame this album isn't having a proper, full release and promo etc.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: 8th September 2022, 09:54 PM

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 12th September 2022, 11:30 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 151

I loved 'Smoke And Mirrors' and really want to listen to this but I'm not buying/downloading it. I would gladly buy it if I could first listen to it and liked it but I guess there's no way of doing that for now. Hopefully it will appear on streaming at some point down the line.

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post 22nd October 2022, 07:59 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

The track Everything We Do (We Do It For You) is available for download and has been Top 30 on iTunes.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 23rd October 2022, 11:08 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,155

What a screwed up release for a good pop album, they have only made it available to download or buy physically from their website only and shunned streaming, iTunes, HMV, Amazon, Indies etc., but have more randomly made their new single available on iTunes?

They claimed it was to make a stand on the poor returns they get but if that’s the case the whole campaign should be that rather than randomly throwing out a single on iTunes but you won’t list the album on there unsure.gif

I bought the signed CD from their website and it took 2 weeks to arrive so it’s not as if their team were on the ball at getting copies sent out quickly either.

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 26th October 2022, 12:08 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I still haven't heard this, because I can't. Really hope it gets added to streaming sites at some point soon.

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post 13th November 2022, 07:18 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

So the continuing odd release schedule for this comtinued with it being released on iTunes on 4th November.
The result was an entry at No.42 on the official download charts this week.

It'll get to streaming one day!!

This post has been edited by CJK: 13th November 2022, 07:19 PM

+Quote this post
Mark.
post 2nd December 2022, 06:25 PM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 6,928

Nice review here

+Quote this post
Mark.
post 2nd December 2022, 06:37 PM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftYOfcK40xI&t=0s

This post has been edited by Santa Mark: 2nd December 2022, 06:38 PM

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 5th December 2022, 03:59 PM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

I'm still waiting to listen to this album, which I can't do until it's available to stream... such a bizarre release strategy :wacky:

+Quote this post
gooddelta
post 5th December 2022, 04:15 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Hello?

I bought the CD on Amazon the other week, it wasn't stocked in HMV, so even physically it's an odd release strategy.

They've released an extended version of This One this week too, on iTunes and Amazon but not to stream again. Hopefully once they consider they've maximised the potential purchases of the material from the album, they will put it up to stream.

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 5th December 2022, 04:22 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(CJK @ Nov 13 2022, 07:18 PM) *
So the continuing odd release schedule for this comtinued with it being released on iTunes on 4th November.
The result was an entry at No.42 on the official download charts this week.

It'll get to streaming one day!!

Totally passed me by they had belatedly added it to iTunes - such a bizarre release strategy and they’ve ended up doing what they said they wouldn’t anyway and listed it on iTunes so they may as well add it to streaming too now.

Such a shame as it’s a really solid pop album!

+Quote this post
ChrisJK
post 5th December 2022, 05:45 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

It's probably worth knowing that the entire album is on YouTube and was added to it officially by The Fizz, so you can listen to it all right there for free!!

+Quote this post
___∆___
post 16th December 2022, 03:15 PM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

50% off the CD with the code FIZZXMAS via their official store at the moment - https://www.thefizzofficial.com/store

+Quote this post
Mark.
post 5th May 2024, 06:11 PM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Mike Nolan quits

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/27744...rovision-group/

MUSIC fans were left reeling today after The Fizz announced the departure of Mike Nolan after 43 years.

The group, which won Eurovision in 1981 as Bucks Fizz, confirmed the news on social media platform X after Mike, 69, dropped the bombshell live on BBC Radio 2.

He told host Michael Ball: "I'm going to be leaving, it's for personal reasons. I have decided to go, to leave.

"I've been thinking about it for a long long, long time and I just thought: 'this is the time to do it."

Afterwards, alongside a smiley picture of Cheryl Baker, Mike and Jay Aston at BBC studios, the group wrote: "We can confirm, following the Michael Ball show, that Mike will be leaving the group at the end of the year.

"Cheryl & Jay will be continuing as 'The Fizz' & a statement from Mike, will follow in the coming days. Thank you for your understanding."

When one person commented "maybe time call it a day", the two remaining members shot back: "Absolutely not."

Others were more sympathetic.

One person said: "Sorry to hear this, hope he is alright and looking forward to his retirement x."

Another wrote: "Very sad that he’s leaving but I’m sure we wish him all the best."

A third said: "It has been a long long run. I am sad though I completely understand. Sending lots of love (since 1981)."

In 1981, Cheryl, Mike, Jay and Bobby G topped the charts with Eurovision classic Making Your Mind Up and followed it with a string of hits including The Land Of Make Believe.

They have sold more than 15 million records worldwide, and had three number one singles.

Tragedy struck in 1984 when the group were involved in a near-fatal bus crash that left all the members seriously injured.

Cheryl broke her spine in three places, Jay also had back injuries, and Mike fell into a coma and almost died while having an operation to save his life.

The incident left him with impaired vision and epilepsy, prompting Cheryl to set up the charity HeadFirst, providing services for people and families rebuilding their lives after brain injuries.

While technically always a functioning band, in-house disputes meant a near-constant line-up change.

Cheryl, Mike and Shelley Preston - who replaced Jay in 1985 - reformed the group under The Fizz in 2004, due to a legal dispute.

Jay replaced Shelley in 2009 and The Fizz continue to perform and release albums, with their most recent release - Smoke & Mirrors - reaching number 29 in the UK album chart.

Like many acts in the Eighties, huge hits did not necessarily mean big bucks.

Cheryl, 70, told us last year: “We were given five per cent of a 90 per cent of the sales, because they took off ten per cent for breakages and giveaways to radio stations and record firms.

“That five per cent was split four ways, so we got less than a penny for every record we sold.

“I had enough to buy a semi- detached in Eltham, South East ­London, but I didn’t care. I’m not into material things.

“Money gets me by, money pays for things, but that’s all.”

Jay also criticised the group's poor record deal in an interview with This Is Money.

She said: "Our first year's income was about £7,000 each despite having scored a couple of multi-million selling singles (we had a terrible record deal), and we walked away with just £1,600 each after doing our first tour."

Cheryl did splash out on a small house for her parents, in Essex, as well as a 32ft Fairline Phantom boat, for £15,000, which she kept in ­Brighton Marina.

She said: “I loved it but that was a dripping tap as far as money was concerned so I sold it.”

Cheryl has had a long TV career too.

She went on to present a cookery show, Eggs And Baker in 1988, and front hit kids’ show Record Breakers for 11 years, quitting Bucks Fizz in 1993, when her twins were born.

LEGAL FIGHT

In 2004, with an Eighties revival sweeping the nation, Cheryl reunited with former bandmates Jay and Mike to perform as The Original Bucks Fizz, sparking a legal wrangle over the name.

Bobby won the case, meaning the trio could no longer use the name — nor even say they were “formerly of Bucks Fizz” — and they adopted The Fizz instead.

Cheryl said: “It’s sad because we won Eurovision and we had that ­terrible crash which almost killed Mike so we had so much history in a short space of time.

"We should all have the right to use the name.

“Bobby doesn’t gig so it’s like he is saying, ‘I don’t want to play with this ball any more but you can’t have it’. ”

Cheryl said the loss of the name cost them a host of gigs, meaning she turned to a business owner pal for work.

She added: “Even if I’m broke I don’t worry about money.

“If I look at the bank account and there’s nothing coming in for a while, I’ll find something to do."

This post has been edited by Mark.: 5th May 2024, 06:22 PM

+Quote this post
Mangø
post 6th May 2024, 09:47 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Is Everything Under The Sun EVER going to be available on streaming sites? I really want to listen to it!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th September 2024, 01:12 PM