BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Films You Have Watched In 2018!, List & Discuss Any Film You Watched in 2018
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
DalekTurret32
post Jan 5 2018, 12:25 AM
Post #1
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666
This may be a bit too early, but hey! Feel free to list and discuss films you have seen in '18

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Regina
post Jan 5 2018, 04:34 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
Some overlap from Christmas time but that's basically 2018 anyway:

The Zookeeper's Wife

I don't think I have been so gripped or emotionally invested in a movie in a long time. So sad Jessica and Daniel got overlooked for awards season, both of them give award winning performances and they had great chemistry despite their characters being on different sides. Daniel is one of the most talented actors working today tbh.

Zero Dark Thirty

I can see why Jessica was nominated for this, but I found the movie a bit of a drag in places and too long.

Alone In Berlin

Daniel Bruhl's character in this was so fascinating. You can tell he is on this case out of police pride rather than Nazism and he comes to somewhat respect Emma and Brendan's characters at the end. Like with so many WW2 movies, it ends with a real tinge of sandess but also hope.

The Man With The Iron Heart

I love movies set in WW2 and this was a good one. Interesting to see both sides of the story and it packs an emotional punch.

Bewitched

Would like it more without Will Ferrell, he ruined it for me. Nicole Kidman was amazing as ever.

Harry Brown

Michael Caine is a badass. And I felt a twang of sadness when Jack O'COnnell die din it, poor wee Marky. Really gripping movie.

Out Of Africa

Too much of nothing happening, this could easily be an hour or so shorter. no real plot to it, but gorgeous scenery.

Hotel Transylvania 2

Not as good as the first but that was a tall order, loved the ending with the ass kicking.

Fun Mom Dinner

I want friends like this laugh.gif laugh riot from start to finish and Adam Levine is a decent actor too.

The Resident

Movies like this are amazing. I loved the suspence in it and evne though he's a stlker and evntual murderer, you feel empathy for Jeffrey Dean Morgan, he was just so abused and lonely.

The Last Word

Great concept for a movie and a nice kind of "plods along but keeps you interested" kind of movie.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Jan 7 2018, 12:19 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Regina, we're only like seven days into 2018 and you've already seen 11 films?! ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Jan 7 2018, 12:19 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BTW, the first film I saw this year was Miss Violence. Interesting film, but disturbing in some places.

+Quote this post
Regina
post Jan 10 2018, 09:09 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Raining Shitter
QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ Jan 7 2018, 01:19 AM) *
Regina, we're only like seven days into 2018 and you've already seen 11 films?! ohmy.gif

There's no limit to how many films you can watch in a day.

+Quote this post
Riser
post Jan 15 2018, 04:36 AM
Post #6
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
My list, as of November 24th (will keep this updated):
Out Of The Furnace
Burnt
Wonder
Lady Bird
A Bad Moms Christmas
Call Me By Your Name
Christopher Robin
Downsizing
A Star Is Born
The Shape Of Water

QUOTE(Regina @ Jan 5 2018, 11:34 AM) *
Zero Dark Thirty

I can see why Jessica was nominated for this, but I found the movie a bit of a drag in places and too long.
I'm surprised you hadn't seen this until now! This was my introduction to Jessica Chastain and I was really impressed.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post Jan 15 2018, 07:21 AM
Post #7
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
I've seen two films so far this year, only one of which I could actually finish tongue.gif

The Breakfast Club
- Honestly never seen this before despite always wanting to and being recommended to me by many people. I liked it and can see what the big deal is, although I've seen better tongue.gif

Bright
- Brand new Netflix Original from December, this is the film I just couldn't finish. To me it just seemed so dry and a poorer, adult version of Zootopia. I get it's supposed to have heavy racist themes and be a sort of depiction of our society or whatever but it feels like either: A drama/thriller trying too hard to be a comedy, or A comedy trying too hard to be dramatic.

I'll add to this over the year possibly tongue.gif I'm not too interested in what's coming out/come out recently though, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is a must-see but other than that I could easily go a year without watching anything new laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Regina
post Jan 15 2018, 10:04 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Raining Shitter
Kidnap

Lesson here: Halle Berry in a minivan is badass.

No Good Deed

Lesson here: Taraji P Henson is abadass.

QUOTE(Riser @ Jan 15 2018, 05:36 AM) *
My list, as of January 14th (will keep this updated):
Out Of The Furnace
Burnt

I'm surprised you hadn't seen this until now! This was my introduction to Jessica Chastain and I was really impressed.

It takes me time to get around to BIG movies laugh.gif

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Jan 15 2018, 11:17 PM
Post #9
Group icon
I saw another film earlier in the month called Suntan.

It's in Greek language, like Miss Violence [the film I saw before Suntan].
It is set in the island of Antiparos, whilst Miss Violence is set in Athens.
Both Miss Violence and Suntan have some disturbing elements (particularly in the second half)
They both display some brilliant 'show, don't tell' techniques at the very end.

+Quote this post
will-i-ever
post Jan 19 2018, 05:24 PM
Post #10
Group icon
New Entry
User: 55,348
So far I've only seen The Last Jedi - aaaand it's rather a disappointment. After it spun 2 hours I couldn't wait for it to stop really. The porgs were cute, and it was fun watching Kylo's progress, but that's all. literally

+Quote this post
Severin
post Jan 19 2018, 08:21 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
Watched The Killing Of A Sacred Deer the other day. Utterly brilliant and thoroughly compelling.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 20 2018, 11:41 PM
Post #12
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
All the Money in the World: - This was such an 8/10 film in every sense (part 1). It was good but there was nothing original and I would probs forget it existed in a few weeks if it wasn't due to every single thing that has happened surrounding the film. Also the ear scene literally had me screaming out loud in the cinema.... Michelle was fab in this and I wouldn't be opposed to her getting an Oscar nom, however Mark was just ok and I really didn't think Christopher Plummer's performance was that good at all & I'd feel he'd be nowhere near being in contention for the Oscars if it wasn't for the circumstances.

The Post: - This was such an 8/10 film in every sense (part 2). I feel very similar with this with how I felt after Spotlight, both great films but they were missing something and at times I was a bit bored. I feel the problem with The Post was that it was trying to make so many different points that are relevant in today's society - and don't get me wrong they should definitely be emphasised - but it was 24/7 throughout the film and I think it overpowered the story and plot many times as points just started to be made for the sake of making them and the plot + pacing suffered. I just feel disappointed with this as I was really hyped & it could've be quite a bit better. Tom Hanks was fantastic and better not get snubbed again, though I was surprisingly disappointed with Meryl who I usually adore, I was just waiting for that extra something and it never really came.

Singin In The Rain: - Can't believe I'd never even seen this before but omg this is probs one of my favourite films ever already! I adore musicals and everything about this is so perfect. I was entertained, the songs and dances are incredible, the acting is great (Jean Hagen actually killed me with laughter, I'm so glad she got an Oscar nom *.*) and the plot is also fab. Also the production design & the look/style of the film omfg *.* A masterpiece. heart.gif

The Beguiled: - Very good but as with Fences from last year, I felt very much like I was watching a play and not a film laugh.gif The acting was great, Nicole & Colin were the highlights and this definitely had me gripped throughout the film!

+Quote this post
Regina
post Feb 14 2018, 09:20 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Raining Shitter
Another Mother's Son

Okay so this made me weep, and then when I saw the end credits revealing what happened to the characters I wept even more. Also, Ronan Keating can actually act ohmy.gif

One For The Money

f*** the critics, this is one of my all time faves and Katherine IS Stephanie, I can only picture her when I read the books. Also, Debbie Reynolds <3

+Quote this post
Klumzee
post Feb 14 2018, 09:36 PM
Post #14
Group icon
#TeamAnneMarie
User: 11,421
Just watched Bridesmaids for the first time!

Being a big SNL fan it was always on the cards can't believe I never got round to it! Kristen Wiig is just gold and I'm also watching The IT Crowd currently so it was great to see Chris O'Dowd alongside. Also renewed love for Wilson Phillips 'Hold On' heart.gif I'm just a bit surprised there was a message and some depth to the story - I just assumed it was all out chaos and laughs along the way but if anything that's made it even better!

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Feb 14 2018, 10:57 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Saw The Dutchess and Psycho, two films I'm studying the scores of for Music A Level. Both excellent films.

+Quote this post
Kath
post Feb 18 2018, 12:21 AM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,980
Killing of a Sacred Deer - strange and I'm not that sure I liked it - it was one of those films that you had to stick around til the end for though
The Shape of Water - another strange one - but enjoyable nonetheless (I'm a big Michael Shannon fan though)
Jumanji - really didn't think I'd like this but I have to admit it was a bit of a guilty pleasure
Three Billboards Outside Ebbings, Missouri - FANTASTIC one of the most satisfying films I've seen for a long time

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Feb 24 2018, 11:51 PM
Post #17
Group icon
Saw a film on TV called Philomena. Excellent emotional film.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Feb 25 2018, 12:43 AM
Post #18
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
QUOTE(Klumzee @ Feb 14 2018, 01:36 PM) *
Just watched Bridesmaids for the first time!

Being a big SNL fan it was always on the cards can't believe I never got round to it! Kristen Wiig is just gold and I'm also watching The IT Crowd currently so it was great to see Chris O'Dowd alongside. Also renewed love for Wilson Phillips 'Hold On' heart.gif I'm just a bit surprised there was a message and some depth to the story - I just assumed it was all out chaos and laughs along the way but if anything that's made it even better!
I think I've seen that movie around 3-4 times in the past two months, it's hilarious heart.gif The best part has to be the dress fitting scene

+Quote this post
indielife
post Mar 1 2018, 01:16 PM
Post #19
Group icon
New Entry
User: 62,701
QUOTE(Regina @ Jan 5 2018, 08:34 AM) *
Some overlap from Christmas time but that's basically 2018 anyway:
The Zookeeper's Wife

I don't think I have been so gripped or emotionally invested in a movie in a long time. So sad Jessica and Daniel got overlooked for awards season, both of them give award winning performances and they had great chemistry despite their characters being on different sides. Daniel is one of the most talented actors working today tbh.

Zero Dark Thirty

Alone In Berlin

Daniel Bruhl's character in this was so fascinating. You can tell he is on this case out of police pride rather than Nazism and he comes to somewhat respect Emma and Brendan's characters at the end. Like with so many WW2 movies, it ends with a real tinge of sandess but also hope.

The Man With The Iron Heart

I love movies set in WW2 and this was a good one. Interesting to see both sides of the story and it packs an emotional punch.

Bewitched

Would like it more without Will Ferrell, he ruined it for me. Nicole Kidman was amazing as ever.

Harry Brown

Michael Caine is a badass. And I felt a twang of sadness when Jack O'COnnell die din it, poor wee Marky. Really gripping movie.

Out Of Africa

Too much of nothing happening, this could easily be an hour or so shorter. no real plot to it, but gorgeous scenery.

Hotel Transylvania 2

Not as good as the first but that was a tall order, loved the ending with the ass kicking.

Fun Mom Dinner

I want friends like this laugh.gif laugh riot from start to finish and Adam Levine is a decent actor too.

The Resident

Movies like this are amazing. I loved the suspence in it and evne though he's a stlker and evntual murderer, you feel empathy for Jeffrey Dean Morgan, he was just so abused and lonely.

The Last Word

Great concept for a movie and a nice kind of "plods along but keeps you interested" kind of movie.

Wow such a list! I was amazed! It's 2 months into 2018 and I only watched 1 series: Betty Diagnose.

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Mar 2 2018, 10:05 PM
Post #20
Group icon
Extremely Loud And Incredibly Closed. This film pulled my heartstrings more than Philomena did.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:42 AM