BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Films You Have Watched In 2018!, List & Discuss Any Film You Watched in 2018
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Andrew.
post Mar 17 2018, 06:09 PM
Post #21
is in hibernation
Group: Banned
Member No.: 21,161

The Greatest Showman
LOVED THIS. The audience definitely got it right compared to the critics, such a joyous and happy film, it was the first time I've seen a film get an almost universal round of applause at the Cinema! 9/10

The Shape Of Water
Very peculiar but incredibly moving as well. Octavia Spencer was the highlight for me, she played it so well. The visuals as well were incredible *.* 10/10

I, Tonya
This was excellently played by all but Alison Janney stood out the most, as others have said. Brilliant but tragic character. It was such a captivating watch, I felt really sorry for Tonya at the end sad.gif (even though she probably had more of a role than she says) 10/10

Game Night
This was good, but not one of the best comedies I've ever seen tbh. Everyone played it well and I was entertained but there just felt like there was something missing laugh.gif 8/10

Gringo
This was f***ing terrible mellow.gif The trailer looked hilarious but I was just sitting not laughing the whole time. The theater was very empty for a Friday night and I'd say about a quarter of them left halfway through anyway laugh.gif The biggest disappointment was Charlize Theron's character, she looked really funny in the trailer but was just horrible lmao. Sometimes bitchy characters can be the best (Regina George being the biggest example) but she was nasty with no redeeming features. I liked Harold Soyinka but Joel Edgerton was similar to Charlize. Everyone else was either irritating (the drug mule British guy) or pointless (Amanda Seyfried). 2/10

Tomb Raider
Someone convinced me to come and see this last night, it's not usually my thing but I really loved this! It was very fast paced but it didn't lose the plot and Alicia Vikander was incredible I thought. Not sure why the reviews are relatively poor! sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post Mar 18 2018, 10:45 PM
Post #22
It's a cruel summer.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

Just watched Brooklyn again as it was on tv 😍😍 still beyond incredible. Saoirse Ronan should've won the Oscar & I think I'd go as far as saying it's my favourite performance of the decade so far and Emory Cohen/Julie Walters also should've got nominations. Love this film so much wub.gif

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Apr 8 2018, 08:22 PM
Post #23
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

The Third Man. I wasn't interested at first, but I begun to be the moment the boy shouted to the policemen that he saw Holly Martins kill Harry Lime, due to the fact that he saw them fighting. Anton Karas delivers an amazing soundtrack in this. What's so interesting about this is that it is entirely done with one instrument (i.e. zither). The pinnacle of the film has to be the sewer chase scene at the end. I love how tense it is, from the way the men chasing Harry manage to take every corner to the shot in which Harry sticks fingers through the holes in the ground while trying to escape the sewer. Overall, it's a great mystery film.

Rating: BRILLIANT [93]

+Quote Post
Regina
post Apr 15 2018, 06:47 PM
Post #24
Raining Shitter
Member No.: 5,572

Once Upon A Time In Venice

Typical Bruce Willis action comedy but without anything decent in it. It was just a bunch of random plot moments without anything really connecting them.
The only saving grace was Thomas Middleditch.

Game Over Man!

Really OTT but actually kinda enjoyable in a weird way.

Land of the Lost

Anna Friel arguing with a T-rex and calliing Lizard people "w*n**rs!£ then beating them up with a belt might be the best thing I have seen in YEARS.

This post has been edited by Regina: Apr 15 2018, 06:47 PM

+Quote Post
Regina
post Apr 18 2018, 06:34 PM
Post #25
Raining Shitter
Member No.: 5,572

Justice League

Hmmm. I've seen it a few times now and I still don't know what to make of it laugh.gif

Plus points

- Jason grew on me as Aquaman and ended up being one of my favourite parts of the movie.
- visuals and soundtrack top notch
- really good action scenes, mainly.
- Gal continues to make Wonder Women her own.
- set up potential sequels pretty nicely
- Actual scene with two women (Lois and clarks Mum) talking, although it wasn't enough.
- The general story actually sticks true to the comics with little deviation which I liked. I'd have preferred some more mention of even an appearence from Darkseid, but oh well.

minuses

- WTF did they do to Lois? Amy had third place billing but was only in two scenes and in both of them there was NO HINT of the Lois we'd seen in the last two movies. Yes she had lost her love, but she is still meant to be a strong woman not some wimpering wreck. And "you smell good" REALLY? MY GOD, Amy is a supreme actress and they never gave her anything decent to work with. Her scene at the house had moments toward the end, but it was all ruine dby that smelling line. It also showed up how poor of an actor Henry is, evne at half power Amy totally acted circles around him
- Not enougb Scenes with the Atlanians or Amazons. I feel like Aquaman should have come before JL, then we could see more of them and of Mera because that tiny bit of her gave me a taste for more. Amber was so good and seemd to capture the character so well.
- It felt kinda short for a superheor movie? And because it had to try to introduce the plot as well as Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman it felt too forced and rushed.
- Ezra was a terrible Flash, Grant Gustin is so much better.
- Due to the DC movies being generally darker the more comic moments felt forced too.
- Emotional moments felt too forced too. Marvel movies felt mor eorganic than these. Not the fault of the actors though; Amy, Ben. Gal, Ezra etc are capable, the acript let them down. Compare the scene where Captain America comes face to face with Bucky in Winter Solider to the scenes where Superman comes back...

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post May 24 2018, 12:57 PM
Post #26
   No Gallery Pics

The Matrix.
I absolutely loved this film.
It makes you question whether what you're achieving or contributing towards in life is reality or just a simulation.
There's also some stunning visuals, really creative world-building (such as the hive prison with the naked humans being attached to tubes while trapped in a pool of red water.) and an excellent twist villain halfway through.
Morpheus might be one of my favourite characters as he serves as a great mentor to Neo with his philosiphies, wisdom and ways of training. Other of my faves include Neo and Trinity.

The only small cons I have with this film:
It can get a bit confusing at times
Some of the CGI involving the glitches shapeshifting to an agent can look off-putting at times.

Overall, a marvellous mind-blowing sci-fi film.
OUTSTANDING [99]

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jul 3 2018, 01:27 PM
Post #27
   No Gallery Pics

I saw the first half of Lethal Weapon. Didn't manage to finish it but I'm loving it so far.

Solo: A Star Wars Story. An interesting look into Han Solo's past. [BRILLIANT, 94]

The Theory Of Everything. (RIP Johann Johannson and Stephen Hawking)
A marvellous film showing Stephen Hawking planning A Brief History Of Time, as well as his black hole theories, while fighting through his struggle with motor neuron disease. Backed with some great acting from the likes of Eddie Redmayne, Felicity Jones and David Thewlis and a marvellous soundtrack from the late Johann Johannson. This is up there with Inside Out, Boyhood, The Lobster, Deathly Hallows Part 2 and The 100-Year Old Man in one of my favourite movies of the New Tens. [ [GOLD], 101]

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jul 4 2018, 04:27 PM
Post #28
   No Gallery Pics

Saw The Last Jedi with my dad. It was a BRILLIANT [94] film.

+ John Williams' excellent score as always
+ The stunning action in the battle scenes
+ Luke Skywalker's return.
+ The acting, especially in the villains
+ Rey's development
+ BB-8 being as adorable as he was in The Force Awakens
+ The fight between Kylo Ren and Luke Skywalker
- Some parts felt slow and boring.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Jul 4 2018, 08:17 PM
Post #29
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Sleepy Hollow- 5/10.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jul 5 2018, 06:23 PM
Post #30
   No Gallery Pics

Just saw Get Out. Starts off pretty normal, with the "guy meets his girlfriends parents" scenario, but then gets more surreal and creepy as the film goes on. [OUTSTANDING, 98]

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jul 8 2018, 12:48 PM
Post #31
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

Book Club, with loads of veteran actors buzzed up by 50 Shades Of Grey, focusing on 4 mature women and how it affects their lives and relationships. Good film, amusing, good characters, good performances, albeit one for the older crowd. Jane Fonda I was watching in Cat Ballou when I was a kiddie, she must be 90 now then (googled: 80, and still looking great) laugh.gif 7/10

Whitney, a documentary with interviews of most of those close to her. I could never call myself a fan, but it was very enlightening why she acted as she did. My assumptions that she was from a privileged background of successful relatives and was led to drugs by Bobby Brown was utterly wrong. It was her own upbringing that screwed her up, from being abused by her cousin Dee Dee Warwick while her mother was on tour, through brothers doing drugs in her mid-teens in line with others in the non-affluent city environment.

I always felt she was a wasted talent, an awesome voice with a massive range largely frittered-away on bland pop until the drugs started to ruin her voice and she had to use emotion instead. Her life was like a car crash junkie inevitability, but the one you feel sorry for (and the one who reduces her mother's friends and relatives to tears, not Whitney) is the tragic death of her daughter who had to grow up with a junkie mother (Bobbi was largely cared for by friends and family on tour away from other children) which became her own template because that was all she knew. Tragic and a whole horde of family having to cope with the emotional aftermath of 2 deaths. 6/10

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jul 8 2018, 10:42 PM
Post #32
   No Gallery Pics

Saw Prometheus. A pretty swell film, although there were some parts that left me befuddled (probably due to the fact that I haven't seen Alien or have very limited knowledge of it).

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jul 11 2018, 12:38 PM
Post #33
   No Gallery Pics

Just saw Coco. There were so many great things about this film. The music, The "Dia De Los Muertos" theme, the Land Of The Dead (with its colourful visuals and wonderful scenery), Miguel and Hector's bond, an excellent execution of the Twist Villain trope. Not just that, but there are some heartwarming moments (such as Hector's motivation, with him wanting to see his daughter before she forgets him, which was one of the few times that a movie made me shed a tear). There's also two good messages from this film "Your idols are not what they seem" and "Never forget that your family will do your best to support you". Overall, this is up there with Inside Out, Toy Story 3 and WALL-E as one of my favourite Pixar movies.

Rating: [ [GOLD], 101]

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Jul 17 2018, 02:11 PM
Post #34
   No Gallery Pics

Catch Me If You Can- 6/10

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jul 19 2018, 03:33 PM
Post #35
   No Gallery Pics

Saw both Ant-Man films yesterday. Both were excellent, though my favourite of the two has to be the first one.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jul 21 2018, 09:34 PM
Post #36
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

Have been to the cinema three times this year now kink.gif

01. I, Tonya 09/10
02. Mamma Mia 2: Here We Go Again 08/10
03. The Post 6.5/10

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jul 24 2018, 10:32 PM
Post #37
   No Gallery Pics

Yesterday, I saw a film called The Evil Dead (1981).

I love the camera work (especially at the very beginning and the parts that show the POVs of the demons), the score composed for the film (with the use of sul ponticello and sul tasto on the strings, similar to the string techniques used in the soundtrack to the 2011 horror movie Insidious) and most of the lines that possessed Cheryl said (which were hilarious)
The one thing that confused me were the demons' motives. One of them tries to go after the people and stabs one of them with a pencil, while another just sits there laughing at Ash while he is being haunted, only planning to kill him like five minutes later.

Aside from that, I thought this was a GREAT [87] film

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Aug 22 2018, 11:34 PM
Post #38
   No Gallery Pics

Mercury Rising: Apparently, a handful of critics have panned for this film, but for me I really enjoyed it

+The idea of a young boy managing to decipher a code hidden by the US government is an interesting concept. Someone putting the code in a children's puzzle book is pretty silly though.
+Art Jeffries going through hell to protect Simon (the boy who deciphered the code)
+John Barry's excellent score
+The scene showing Simon do his after school routine but without his parents present, providing a sad contrast to a similar scene near the beginning
+The action near the end of the film
- I wasn't very fond of Colonel Kudrow

Overall: BRILLIANT [90]

Three Days of the Condor: Even though I didn't like this as much as critics and audience alike, I still found it to be pretty swell.

+Joubert. His motives as a hitman were more interesting than the one in Mercury Rising
+That scene where the typewriter machine was switched on for a long time when Joe Turner returns to the library to see his colleagues shot. It provided a dark effect very well.
+The Condor symbolism
+Dave Grusin provided a great score
| It wasn't as gritty as I expected it to be from looking at the plot summary on Wikipedia, but I can at least forgive it since this was in the 70's, way earlier than the dramatic politically-driven films I loved came out

Overall: SUBLIME [82]

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Aug 23 2018, 09:47 AM
Post #39
   No Gallery Pics

American Pie 2- 6/10

Hasn't aged as well in recent years in my view not as good as the first.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Aug 24 2018, 12:15 AM
Post #40
   No Gallery Pics

So I saw a film called American Animals in an outdoor cinema.
"THIS IS NOT BASED ON A TRUE STORY, THIS IS A TRUE STORY"
It takes advantage of this statement very well with the transition between interviews of the characters involved in the story and the robbery of the library containing 12 grand worth of valuable books.
There is also a great soundtrack, with my favourite use of music being in the scene where the robbers are taken away by the police while Leonard Cohen's Who By Fire is playing in the background.
Overall, a big contender for my Top 5 Favourite Films of 2018

OUTSTANDING [99]

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:23 PM