BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Captain Marvel, March 8, 2019
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
post 9th March 2019, 10:40 AM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I’ve seen it twice now and it’s just brilliant. The story is (although the first 30 minutes are a bit slow) really well put together. There’s really strong twists and turns in the narratives that you don’t expect. And I like that while it’s funny, it’s never too over-reliant on humour as some of them.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 9th March 2019, 11:51 AM
Post #22
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(365 @ Mar 9 2019, 10:40 AM) *
I’ve seen it twice now and it’s just brilliant. The story is (although the first 30 minutes are a bit slow) really well put together. There’s really strong twists and turns in the narratives that you don’t expect. And I like that while it’s funny, it’s never too over-reliant on humour as some of them.

Really? I thought the narrative was pretty predictable and I've only seen about 9 Marvel films!

But overall I really enjoyed this. Was a nice introduction and added some depth to Captain Marvel and Nick Fury. The cat is the star of the show! I wonder how they will make Captain Marvel not as powerful in the Marvel world.

+Quote this post
post 9th March 2019, 11:55 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Rooney @ Mar 9 2019, 11:51 AM) *
Really? I thought the narrative was pretty predictable and I've only seen about 9 Marvel films!

But overall I really enjoyed this. Was a nice introduction and added some depth to Captain Marvel and Nick Fury. The cat is the star of the show! I wonder how they will make Captain Marvel not as powerful in the Marvel world.

Yes, the Skrulls are historically evil and all the marketing had them out as such a huge theat, so the switch up was actually quite surprising shift and it worked really well, because they weren’t very interesting as villains, but made better protagonists.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 9th March 2019, 08:14 PM
Post #24
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Looking on track to do about $155m -$160m opening weekend in US! biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
PaulM1983
post 10th March 2019, 02:58 PM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 6,471

God this was so good. Brie exceeded my expectations. Which is a weird thing to say about an Oscar winner, but I was slightly concerned she was going to be a bit cold and lacking personality. I absolutely loved her though.

Everything was done so well, from the de-ageing effects on Fury and Coulson, to Goose, to Carol's powers. It was visually stunning.

From the moment her suit changes to red and blue, it was balls to the wall epic.

And I said this in the Endgame thread last week, but I suspected that Thanos would find a way to weaken her on their first meeting (maybe using the Power stone or something) and that absolutely MUST be true. Otherwise, she need only breathe on him and he's toast. She was an absolute powerhouse by the end of the movie - just imagine what she can do now, 20 years later.

And oh good god almighty, that first mid-credits scene....I squealed.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 10th March 2019, 04:16 PM
Post #26
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

oh shit, were there TWO post-credits scenes? I left after the first one :'(

+Quote this post
post 10th March 2019, 06:46 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Conanderella @ Mar 10 2019, 04:16 PM) *
oh shit, were there TWO post-credits scenes? I left after the first one :'(

The middle one is the better one. The one right at the end is more a cute/comedy one. You’ll be able to catch it on YouTube soon.

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post 10th March 2019, 06:53 PM
Post #28
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMxO6iIq7I4

Or right now wink.gif

+Quote this post
post 10th March 2019, 07:14 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

I’m so proud of this movie. All my life I’ve wanted to see a female superhero that got it 100% right. Wonder Woman was a good start but it’s villain and romance bogged it down a lot, despite Diana being amazing. This has overcome a massive backlash from online trolls and is having a huge success and it makes me so happy to see most people are enjoying it, like Black Panther, it’s such an important movie for Marvel.

+Quote this post
BridgeCow
post 10th March 2019, 07:26 PM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 23,860

this was... ok. It was a lot of fun, but it just lacked any freshness whatsoever, it was just really basic and just whatever. But tbf at least that works, and it was a fun time but it just felt a little too safe. I'm not sold on Brie Larson yet either, something about her just comes off as so like wooden to me idk. I'm glad this has overcome all the unwarranted backlash though, and it has raised my hype for Endgame at least, but hopefully phase 4 they can start to move on from this marvel formula a little bit.

Goose was incredible tho

+Quote this post
p a v
post 10th March 2019, 08:29 PM
Post #31
Group icon

QUOTE(365 @ Mar 10 2019, 10:14 PM) *
I’m so proud of this movie. All my life I’ve wanted to see a female superhero that got it 100% right. Wonder Woman was a good start but it’s villain and romance bogged it down a lot, despite Diana being amazing. This has overcome a massive backlash from online trolls and is having a huge success and it makes me so happy to see most people are enjoying it, like Black Panther, it’s such an important movie for Marvel.

This!

I've been rather sick of Bat-/Super-/Spidermen being shoved down our throat so much with every available opportunity and reboot starring a younger actor for quite a while now. She's such a great superhero and I HOPE TO JESUS they don't put her in some ridiculous heterosexual romance or whatever OLD WHITE HOLLYWOOD PRODUCER BULLSHIT.

+Quote this post
post 10th March 2019, 08:33 PM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

^ Yes, the fact that she had 0 romantic storyline was so refreshing for the genre.

+Quote this post
post 11th March 2019, 01:28 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

My MCU ranking

Avengers: Infinity War
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Black Panther
Captain America: Civil War
The Avengers
*Captain Marvel*
Spider-Man Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant-Man
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Ant Man & The Wasp
Thor
Iron Man 3
Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2
Iron Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
Thor: A Dark World
Doctor Strange
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2

Everything from Ant Man up are films I LOVE. And I like all of them other than the bottom 3 here.

+Quote this post
PaulM1983
post 11th March 2019, 02:23 PM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

I largely agree with that list, but I'd move Ragnarok right up to the top 3. I friggin LOVE that movie. I'd watch it again before Black Panther (which is still amazing).

I will be devastated if Endgame doesn't go straight to the top though. I have faith though.

This post has been edited by PaulM1983: 11th March 2019, 02:24 PM

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 11th March 2019, 07:13 PM
Post #35
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

2nd biggest MCU WW opening weekend.
6th biggest WW opening of all time!

MASSIVE. Reports of this are gaining traction and word of mouth seems to be strong. Hopefully it has staying power. I imagine it should as there is no direct opposition for it atm.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 11th March 2019, 08:08 PM
Post #36
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Mar 11 2019, 07:13 PM) *
2nd biggest MCU WW opening weekend.
6th biggest WW opening of all time!

MASSIVE. Reports of this are gaining traction and word of mouth seems to be strong. Hopefully it has staying power. I imagine it should as there is no direct opposition for it atm.

I can't imagine it has massive staying power, certainly not in the vein of Black Panther. Some really savvy marketing though and like Black Panther, I think this benefits from being the first Marvel female superhero movie and also the fact the hype is ready for Endgame.

+Quote this post
post 11th March 2019, 08:15 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Rooney @ Mar 11 2019, 08:08 PM) *
I can't imagine it has massive staying power, certainly not in the vein of Black Panther. Some really savvy marketing though and like Black Panther, I think this benefits from being the first Marvel female superhero movie and also the fact the hype is ready for Endgame.

They’ll probably drop the trailer for Endgame as soon as it dips heavily featuring Carol for a second wind.

+Quote this post
LewisGT
post 11th March 2019, 08:37 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 18,293

I really loved this like I have done with every MCU movie.

I think the film really stepped up a gear as soon as they arrived on Earth; the section before that was a little dull.

While most of it was good, I don't feel like Brie Larson has fully settled into the character; some of her lines felt a bit awkward but I feel like that was more to do with sloppy writing than anything she did because she is great and I really feel like she is going to grow into character fully in future films.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 11th March 2019, 10:00 PM
Post #39
Group icon

As much as I loved the Captain Marvel character I have to agree with the above a bit. There was just something missing for me. But perhaps this makes sense because that was her origin story and by Endgame everything will fall into place.

I loved the moment they showed Stan. The whole room shouted :')

+Quote this post
PaulM1983
post 12th March 2019, 08:29 AM
Post #40
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast

Stan's cameo was so sweet, especially that little knowing smile she gives him.

And I loved the tribute in the opening Marvel logo into.

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 05:35 PM