BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Calum's EOY ▬ 2018, counting down the top 30 songs of the year now!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Calum
post Dec 1 2018, 12:23 AM
Post #1
Group icon
nabad
Pronouns: he/him
User: 18,316
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Dec 1 2018, 12:41 AM
Post #2
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
Hype *.* Yasss at why don't we and Nina in the banner, both have been delivering quality music this year so hopefully they'll slay here *.* acc I adore every artist in your graphic bar prettymuch kink.gif

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 1 2018, 10:44 PM
Post #3
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
READY

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 4 2018, 03:31 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247
Hype! Hope to see some faves in here!

+Quote this post
Calum
post Dec 9 2018, 08:13 PM
Post #5
Group icon
nabad

Before we kick off the main events, featuring the top albums and songs from 2018, let's have a look at my 2018 Wrapped by Spotify. Will it be any reflection of what's to come at all or completely different? We'll soon find out! ohmy.gif

With 24,437 minutes spent listening to songs on Spotify this year (my primary and, potentially, only source), it's been a busy year. 66 hours of that time was spent listening to Shawn Mendes - my top artist of 2018. Shawn also manages first place in my list of top songs with In My Blood, the first single from his self-titled album released this year. Also on the list of top artists are Kylie Minogue who released her fourteenth studio album this year, Golden, and Dua Lipa who I only started to take notice of in a big way in the first quarter of the year before heading to see her on tour. IDGAF, taken from her début album, also manages to make it into the list of top songs.

Taking the fourth and fifth spots in the list of top artists are Demi Lovato and Troye Sivan. Although Demi's been absent from music due to incredibly unfortunate and saddening circumstances, that hasn't stopped her racking up some plays with her incredibly emotional song Sober which manages to place in my top songs of the year also. I was also lucky to see her on tour in June and that was a very special and memorable night! Having released his second album Bloom this year, Troye's also racked up a lot of plays and will likely continue to into 2019 as his UK tour approaches.

Finally, also making the list of top songs of the year are Wild Love by James Bay and Let You Love Me by Rita Ora - both songs that I've enjoyed a lot throughout the year. Admittedly, to me, there are a couple of surprises in each list - but what does this mean for the EOY charts?

Stay tuned for my top albums of 2018, coming very soon!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 9 2018, 08:22 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Shawn domination *.*

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 10 2018, 10:09 AM
Post #7
Group icon
Yeah not surprised to see Shawn at the top of your list laugh.gif Will be interesting to see how close your EOY Top 5 is to your Spotify top songs!

+Quote this post
Calum
post Dec 12 2018, 06:56 PM
Post #8
Group icon
nabad

It's time to kick things off, starting with my top 30 albums of 2018! Since my personal chart has been absent for most of the year (fourth time lucky?) there'll be no chart runs featured in both the albums and songs countdowns. For albums however, you'll see some of my personal favourites and highlights from each paired with the usual commentary. Also worth noting is that, for a while this year, I had stopped listening to music a lot more than I did/now do. It took quite the backseat while a very busy work life took over, so the albums featured in the countdown may end up being predominantly from the second half of the year onwards.

It has been a brilliant year for albums though with plenty to enjoy, so let's go~

Jagwar Twin
Subject to Flooding

This is an album I was introduced to by Joseph, and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it turned out to be. There's a lot to like on it, and it's a nice project. Unfortunately I haven't found myself going back to listen through many times since I did a few times initially, but there are tracks like Loser and Good Day that draw me back in and that I still listen to separately. Other album highlights include Move to You and Superhuman. Both parts of Hell of a Night, the second in particular, prove a great way to bring the album to a close also.

Highlights
Loser
Good Day
Move to You

--------------------

Alec Benjamin
Narrated For You

Another album that I listened to by Joseph's recommendation / seeing the name all over his chart. Once again, I was very surprised when I listened. I'd heard maybe one track by Alec Benjamin before I listened to the album and don't remember being blown away, but this album is thoroughly enjoyable with brilliant storytelling throughout. Tracks like Death of a Hero, Steve and 1994 capture this perfectly. Other highlights from the album for me include Let Me Down Slowly and the opening song from the album, If We Have Each Other.

Highlights
Let Me Down Slowly
Death of a Hero

+Quote this post
Calum
post Dec 14 2018, 06:59 PM
Post #9
Group icon
nabad

KT Tunstall
WAX

I only realised KT had a new album out when I saw on Twitter that she'd announced tour dates and will be playing very close to where I live, so I had to check it out as soon as possible. While it doesn't quite reach any of the same highs as older album Invisible Empire // Crescent Moon, this album has some gems on it. The River, Dark Side of Me, The Mountain and Tiny Love are all shining examples of how great KT is and can be. Starting a trend with each of the albums in this section, it's not one that I've gone back to a lot but if I decide to see her on tour I'm sure that'll encourage me to listen a lot more in the near future - as well as diving back into some of her older material.

Highlights
The River
The Mountain
Dark Side of Me

--------------------

Panic! At the Disco
Pray For the Wicked

I'd never actually listened to an album by Panic! before Pray For the Wicked, so I was pleasantly surprised when I decided to give this a shot after seeing it and High Hopes around Spotify and creeping into my Discover Weekly. It's a great album and has some really great songs on it. The likes of High Hopes and Hey Look Ma, I Made It are tunes and Dying in LA, slowing things down, closes the album perfectly. I haven't gone back to the album as much as I should have, but the times I've listened each song grows a little more and I'm intrigued to make my way through their back catalogue now and see how this album compares!

Highlights
Dying in LA
Hey Look Ma, I Made It
High Hopes

--------------------

Years & Years
Palo Santo

This is an album that I've not really had the urge to revisit since I familiarised myself with it and, unfortunately, most of the best songs on the album are the singles. All For You and If You're Over Me are both among Y&Y's best songs, I think. Sanctify on the other hand didn't really fill me with much hope for their sophomore album. Overall, the album is a decent enough listen with some standouts like Rendezvous, Karma and Lucky Escape scattered throughout but it doesn't draw me back in the same way their first album did.

Highlights
All For You
If You're Over Me
Rendezvous

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Dec 14 2018, 09:33 PM
Post #10
Group icon
Glad to see Jagwar Twin and Alec featuring! wub.gif

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Dec 14 2018, 11:29 PM
Post #11
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
The KT album is really good but I've not gone back to it since release week, I really need to listen again! Also stanning Panic's album (high hopes is my fave song by them ever) and Palo Santo was also a quite strong album (def agree with both your comments regarding All For You and Sanctify). <3

Tho I hated Alec Benjamin's album haha, Joseph also tried to get me into him but failed with me x kink.gif

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post Dec 15 2018, 12:36 AM
Post #12
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666
Yes at Palo Santo.

+Quote this post
Calum
post Dec 16 2018, 08:46 PM
Post #13
Group icon
nabad
QUOTE(JosephCarey @ Dec 14 2018, 09:33 PM) *
Glad to see Jagwar Twin and Alec featuring! wub.gif

QUOTE(UltraReputation @ Dec 14 2018, 11:29 PM) *
The KT album is really good but I've not gone back to it since release week, I really need to listen again! Also stanning Panic's album (high hopes is my fave song by them ever) and Palo Santo was also a quite strong album (def agree with both your comments regarding All For You and Sanctify). <3

Tho I hated Alec Benjamin's album haha, Joseph also tried to get me into him but failed with me x kink.gif

QUOTE(SantaDalek32 @ Dec 15 2018, 12:36 AM) *
Yes at Palo Santo.

Thanks for commenting everyone wub.gif

+Quote this post
Calum
post Dec 17 2018, 12:18 AM
Post #14
Group icon
nabad

Tori Kelly
Hiding Place

Finishing slightly lower than she probably would have if the album she'd released was more similar in style to her début Unbreakable Smile, is Tori Kelly with her gospel-inspired second album Hiding Place. I was quite surprised this was the path she chose to follow, but I think there are some very beautiful songs on this album and I'm such a sucker for a gospel choir. So although it's not the Tori I came to love with singles like Nobody Love and Should've Been Us, this album certainly hasn't driven me away and leaves me excited to see where she goes next!

Highlights
Help Us to Love
Questions
Soul's Anthem (It Is Well)

--------------------

Various Artists
The Greatest Showman: Reimagined

Up next is the first of (spoiler!) one or two soundtrack albums to feature in the countdown. Overall this album is quite the pleasant surprise. When I heard we'd be getting an album of covers of The Greatest Showman's soundtrack, I was worried because I love the original soundtrack, and the film, so much. That said, James Arthur and Anne-Marie's version of Rewrite the Stars is abhorrent. Not one that I go back to at all because it's such a damp squib in comparison to Zac and Zendaya's take. Some standouts from this though come in the form of Years & Years and Jess Glynne's very inspired take on Come Alive, as well as Kelly Clarkson's Never Enough and P!nk's A Million Dreams.

Highlights
P!nk - A Million Dreams
Panic! At the Disco - The Greatest Show
Kelly Clarkson - Never Enough

--------------------

Charlie Puth
Voicenotes

After not paying much attention to Nine Track Mind (singles aside), I've taken a lot more notice of this album. Charlie Puth's second album has a lot to enjoy on it, particularly singles Attention and How Long - both of which improve upon the sound of previous singles. Other highlights from the album for me are The Way I Am, Through It All and Done For Me, featuring Khelani. This album really makes me want to see Charlie live at some point, and I'm already going back to familiarise myself with Nine Track Mind too.

Highlights
The Way I Am
Attention
Through It All

--------------------

Sigala
Brighter Days

Although there were many singles already out there before the eventual release of this album, there's still a lot to enjoy in terms of album tracks. My personal highlight from the album is the HRVY and Nina Nesbitt collaboration that I had no clue about going into the album and it's a TUNE. My other favourites are collaborations with The Vamps and Kylie Minogue, and both of Ella Eyre's contributions are great. Just Got Paid was pretty annoying to begin with, but the more I've heard it the more it's grown on me. Overall, although this is mostly an album of Sigala's singles to date, it's really solid with some great featured artists that really make it something special.

Highlights
We Don't Care (with The Vamps)
Somebody (feat. HRVY & Nina Nesbitt)
What You Waiting For (feat. Kylie Minogue)

--------------------

Benjamin Ingrosso
Identification

This is another album that I found myself listening to after seeing Benjamin lurking in Joseph's chart. kink.gif I'd heard of Benjamin before the album was released and had been a fan of his singles, but wasn't aware he was releasing an album and when I first listened it was fantastic! It's full of great songs, and singles like I Wouldn't Know and Behave are the icing on the cake. Other highlights from the album that really made me love it include Dance You Off and If This Bed Could Talk, the latter of which is an beautiful ballad. Admittedly this album didn't stick around at #1 for long in my chart, but I've got a lot of love for it and it was a great surprise discovery!

Highlights
Behave
I Wouldn't Know
Dance You Off

+Quote this post
Liаm
post Dec 17 2018, 01:55 PM
Post #15
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139
Pray For The Wicked is an ALBUM, I've always liked Panic but never stanned and this era proper got me into all their stuff wub.gif Yas at Reimagined stanning too, and flawless highlights from it *.*

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 17 2018, 07:32 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Nice to see WAX here, The River is a really great indie piece and Human Being is growing on me as well now. I've enjoyed the album tracks from Brighter Days as well, although my favourites are Brighter Days and All For Love as well as WYWF.

+Quote this post
Riser
post Dec 18 2018, 05:21 AM
Post #17
Group icon
The horrors persist, but so do I
User: 19,534
Hey Calum, ooh I'm pleased to see Tori Kelly here! Haven't listened to Hiding Place yet but 'Never Alone' has grown on me more than I expected it too, so I'm pretty eager to hear more of the album now (will start with those three highlights magic.gif). Not my genre of choice either but it's all about her vocals anyway!!

+Quote this post
Calum
post Dec 18 2018, 08:21 PM
Post #18
Group icon
nabad

Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper
A Star Is Born

Another soundtrack album now, and this time it's Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper's from their feature A Star Is Born. I must admit (also considering I've only watched once) when I went to the cinema to see the film itself with my friend, I was left a little disappointed. It had brilliant moments scattered throughout, but for the first 45 minutes or so I found myself bored. But that doesn't take anything away from the soundtrack - it's probably one of the best things about the whole thing. The likes of Shallow and I'll Never Love Again are phenomenal. After feeling I NEEDED to see this from the teasers of Shallow in the TV advert, the moment surpassed my expectations and I had goosebumps. I'll Never Love Again is an incredibly moving song too, coupled with some pretty difficult scenes from the film.

Highlights
Shallow
I'll Never Love Again
Always Remember Us This Way

--------------------

Alvaro Soler
Mar De Colores

Another album I need to thank somebody for introducing me to (no, it's not Joseph this time x). I discovered this album after I'd started compiling the Albums Multichart and peeping at sergejdordi98's albums and I wasn't disappointed after checking it out on Spotify. It's an album full of many bops, and probably one of my very few ventures into foreign-language music. Songs like La Cintura and Bonita are so feel good, and another real highlight from the album is Te Quiero Lento. The album also inspired me to check out Alvaro's back catalogue, and although there's not much more material to listen to, what is available has also been great!

Highlights
La Cintura
Te Quiero Lento
Bonita

--------------------

Carrie Underwood
Cry Pretty

As I've already said, I was pretty withdrawn from music for the first few months of the year, so I didn't have any clue Carrie was so close to releasing a new album. I hadn't properly listened to an album of hers since Blown Away, so I wasn't familiar at all with Storyteller or anything she'd been up to since. Cry Pretty feels, to me, like picking up where Blown Away left off and certainly doesn't disappoint. For a lead single, Love Wins is incredible; probably her best since the likes of See You Again and Blown Away. There's so much more to enjoy on the album though. Southbound is great and Kingdom, closer to the album's end, is beautiful and rather emotional.

Highlights
Southbound
Love Wins
Kingdom

--------------------

Camila Cabello
Camila

This album has really taken its time to grow on me. Every time I listen each song sounds better than before, and there's so many raw lyrics throughout. I think when Havana was first released I wasn't a fan, but now I absolutely love it! The clear highlight of her début solo album, by a long shot, is Consequences. It's a heartbreaking ballad and one that you can really relate to and even if not, really empathise. Other highlights from the album include Something's Gotta Give, She Loves Control and Never Be the Same. Overall, it's an incredibly strong effort, and I can't wait to see what she brings to the table in future! (more ballads please if they'll be as good as Consequences)

Highlights
Consequences
Havana
She Loves Control

--------------------

James Bay
Electric Light

James Bay's second album definitely isn't as great as his début album, however I do think there's still a lot of good material on it. When he first announced his comeback I was blown away by his change of look (he suddenly got hot af kink.gif), as well as hearing of the change of style for his sophomore offering. Wild Love clicked instantly with me, and has become one of my most played songs of the year as a result. I still have so much love for it and its spark hasn't died. Other highlights from the album include Just For Tonight and Us - however the only tracks I'm not so keen on are the likes of Pink Lemonade. I'll take the bad with the good though.

Highlights
Wild Love
Just For Tonight
Us

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 19 2018, 07:47 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Still love Alvaro Soler but his output this time round hasn't been as good as his stuff in the past sad.gif I've heard La Cintura, Ella and Puebla and all were nice enough pieces but none of them grabbed me like I wanted them to. Maybe I should have listened to the rest of the album, any recommendations?

+Quote this post
Calum
post Dec 19 2018, 09:09 PM
Post #20
Group icon
nabad
QUOTE(Petivity @ Dec 19 2018, 07:47 PM) *
Still love Alvaro Soler but his output this time round hasn't been as good as his stuff in the past sad.gif I've heard La Cintura, Ella and Puebla and all were nice enough pieces but none of them grabbed me like I wanted them to. Maybe I should have listened to the rest of the album, any recommendations?

I'd probably recommend everything on the album tbh. Most of it is pretty similar to La Cintura if I'm honest. Just all round fun in general and a decent enough listen! laugh.gif

Thanks for commenting Pete! heart.gif

+Quote this post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:30 AM