BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Eurovision Song Contest 2018 · Post-Mortem
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
LexC
post 8th May 2018, 10:08 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

Azerbaijan have lost their 100% qualification record

Greece have been beaten by Cyprus AGAIN

Macedonia now have qualified ONCE since the "two semis" system was introduced.

What lies ahead for these fresh casualties from the Semi One bloodbath?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Silas
post 8th May 2018, 10:10 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

Croatia might feel a bit like withdrawing again but the flip side is that this should secure Czechia for a few years.

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 8th May 2018, 10:11 PM
Post #3
Group icon
I was born 7 million years ago in Sweden, Africa
User: 11,955

I have to feel sorry for Macedonia and Switzerland. The latter especially had all the ingredients to go through but sadly, it was a victim of this bloodbath semi.

Macedonia's staging was really bad but the song was excellent, is starting to become a theme at Eurovision.

+Quote this post
Tangela
post 8th May 2018, 10:19 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643

QUOTE(AdamAloud @ May 8 2018, 11:11 PM) *
Macedonia's staging was really bad but the song was excellent, is starting to become a theme at Eurovision.

The vocals were horrific, which will kill any great song dead in a heartbeat.

I can see Macedonia withdrawing though. I definitely think they've stepped up with the quality of songs they're sending, but the staging and this year vocals have been such a let down.

Croatia won't withdraw - they've had 2 qualifications and did very well with Jacques last year. It's a shame Franka wasn't given a good song because her vocals were amazing.

If Franka sang "Lost & Found" I think it would've gone through laugh.gif

QUOTE(AdamAloud @ May 8 2018, 11:11 PM) *
I have to feel sorry for Macedonia and Switzerland.

I'm gutted about Switzerland. It was middling for me, but seeing it live - she OWNED the stage, her vocals on the chorus were pic. Shame to see it out. Will Switzerland consider a new approach now?

This post has been edited by Midge: 8th May 2018, 10:20 PM

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 8th May 2018, 11:27 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Croatia was awful Switzerland was performed well with an average song and it was no shock both failed,

Lithuania was a surprise qualification and the Azerbaijan entry for me didn't deserve to be the one to break their 100 % qualification rate as they have had way worse entries.

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 9th May 2018, 04:59 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

It's been tough for Switzerland for years in the competition. I would've picked them over Albania or Austria. However the song was awfully dated despite decent performance. They won't give up trying though. Macedonia is the only one I can see considering next year

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 9th May 2018, 09:36 AM
Post #7
Group icon

Here's a Bre BJSC style qualification streak update:

5 Austria*

4 Cyprus
4 Israel

3 Bulgaria

1 Albania
1 Czech Republic
1 Estonia
1 Finland
1 Ireland
1 Lithuania

DEAD
10 Azerbaijan
5 Armenia
3 Belgium
2 Croatia
1 Belarus
1 Greece

REALLY DEAD
0 Iceland (Last Q - 2014)
0 Macedonia (Last Q - 2012)
0 Switzerland (Last Q - 2014)

*Automatic Qualifier in 2015

---

A decade ago, it would've been LAUGHABLE to have Austria with the most qualifications in a row yet here we are. Bulgaria are heading in the right direction to be consistent hitters too. Azerbaijan dead, poor Aisel, it certainly was a victim of the semi final, had she been in tomorrow's show she probably would've squeezed through like they have been doing for quite a few years now.

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 9th May 2018, 10:12 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837

I really hope Iceland takes this as a wake-up call and sends a proper banger next year and places second for the third time in a year ending with -9 wub.gif

+Quote this post
Tangela
post 9th May 2018, 10:15 AM
Post #9
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643

QUOTE(cantthinkofaname @ May 9 2018, 11:12 AM) *
I really hope Iceland takes this as a wake-up call and sends a proper banger next year and places second for the third time in a year ending with -9 wub.gif

I want an Iceland VICTORY!!

"Paper" and even more so "Hear Them Calling" were excellent though - such a shame they missed the final.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 9th May 2018, 03:11 PM
Post #10
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

I wouldn't be all that surprised if Azerbaijan decided to pull out after this. They've only ever been in this to show off their country as a successful international entity. Ever since Turkey left I imagine the Turkish diaspora viewership has declined and Azerbaijan have mostly been on a decline since then. They don't strike me as the sort of nation who will suffer many, if any non-qualifiers.

Hungary and Sweden have more than Austria and Poland are ostensibly equal but that all depends on how semi 2 fares, though I imagine at least Sweden is certain through. Amazing achievement for Austria nonetheless (and how poor it looks for Switzerland in comparison!) Amazing also for Israel to be on so many in a row after they were struggling to get anything through at the start of this decade.

I think a FYR walkout depends on how the rest do in tomorrow's semi. If they're all out, I think at least one or two of them will wonder about joining Bosnia on the bench and might follow through, if Montenegro or Serbia make it then Croatia at least will probably stay the course. I don't know about Macedonia, I think they're in it to tough it out if they've lasted this long.

+Quote this post
Umi
post 9th May 2018, 09:55 PM
Post #11
Group icon
All I See br29
User: 14,659

QUOTE(Iz @ May 9 2018, 04:11 PM) *
I wouldn't be all that surprised if Azerbaijan decided to pull out after this. They've only ever been in this to show off their country as a successful international entity. Ever since Turkey left I imagine the Turkish diaspora viewership has declined and Azerbaijan have mostly been on a decline since then. They don't strike me as the sort of nation who will suffer many, if any non-qualifiers.

I think for the exact same reason that they won't leave. They gain all the legitimacy they want just from taking part in Eurovision, because all they need it to be is a yearly reminder that they exist, they're Europe-aligned and they are capable of enjoying a fun, campy song contest. If anything I think it's good for them that their record is gone, because being so randomly successful always aroused suspicion and made it easy to group them with Russia, which is bad for obvious reasons.

Losing the record is bad for national pride but if their primary goal in taking part is international PR then continuing to enter is the only logical choice - it's not like doing badly in Eurovision actually makes anyone think badly of a country. All leaving does is remove the one chance they have to annually trick Europeans into thinking that they're just another random European country. Remove that and the only time anyone will ever hear about Azerbaijan again will be when one of their various issues is relevant.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 10th May 2018, 03:18 PM
Post #12
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

I think I’m with Iz on this one. DNQ doesn’t exactly scream “successful international entity”, it more likely screams “second thoughts”.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post 10th May 2018, 03:45 PM
Post #13
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929

If it had been a reverse of 2011 and say, something like Aram MP3 was this year and it was Yerevan 2019, then it'd be 100%. But it's not. Umi does make some good points (especially the one about them not wanting to be seen as shady), they get a lot of recognition just by entering, although there's a lot more of it in the final, if they don't qualify then all they get is a 30-second segment of votes.

The main reason I was thinking this though is that they have felt a lot less engaged for a few years. When they first came on it was all 'fire, fire, fire, let's get a horde of top 5s and by the way, we're also bidding for the Olympic Games and we want to show the world that Baku is the place to be', now they are really on autopilot and they're rather quiet on the international stage.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 10th May 2018, 05:23 PM
Post #14
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

I don’t think it’s that they’re quiet, just that they’ve moved on to phase 2 of the strategy. They conned F1 into a Baku Grand Prix and then had to hastily rename it after the outrage at the first year (2016) being called the European Grand Prix.

I think that Eurovision is still important to them for the reasons Umi says. Exposure is still exposure

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 10th May 2018, 05:50 PM
Post #15
Group icon

Sod Azerbaijan, I'm more worried the Armenian NF will be axed after the DNQ, so many good songs heart.gif

+Quote this post
LexC
post 10th May 2018, 06:03 PM
Post #16
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

Or, maybe they will learn their lesson and LISTEN TO THE GAYS!

+Quote this post
AdamAloud
post 10th May 2018, 10:31 PM
Post #17
Group icon

14 Ukraine**

8 Hungary
8 Sweden**

4 Australia*

3 Netherlands

2 Denmark
2 Moldova
2 Norway

1 Serbia
1 Slovenia

DEAD
13 Romania
13 Russia
4 Poland

REALLY DEAD
0 Georgia (Last Q - 2016)
0 Latvia (Last Q - 2016)
0 Malta (Last Q - 2016)
0 Montenegro (Last Q - 2015)
0 San Marino (Last Q - 2014)

*1 x Automatic Qualification
**2 x Automatic Qualifications

---

Ukraine the last one standing (not counting Australia) *.* Hungary proving to be very good at Eurovision since their comeback, a win surely must be around the corner?

+Quote this post
LexC
post 11th May 2018, 01:58 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen

Just thinking about National Final choices in Semi 2 especially, Romania would probably still have their 100% record if they'd listened to reason*

San Marino would have had a fighting chance if they'd have managed to rig their selection properly for this

*reason=the gayz

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 11th May 2018, 06:59 AM
Post #19
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

QUOTE(AdamAloud @ May 10 2018, 11:31 PM) *
Hungary proving to be very good at Eurovision since their comeback, a win surely must be around the corner?

Or a total disaster

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post 11th May 2018, 09:09 AM
Post #20
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12,837

I think Iceland was probably always doomed to DNQ based on the National Final this year and the Semi we were allocated but do you think there were any songs in the Icelandic NF that could have qualified? Maybe in Semi 2?

I'm not sure Aron Hannes would have qualified with Gold Digger in the same semi as Mikolas but maybe if we had been in the second semi. Not entirely sure how Dagur would have fared, maybe a Q since he was gonna sing it in Icelandic?

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 03:06 AM