BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

80 Pages V  « < 39 40 41 42 43 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Melanie C • General Discussion
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
sammy01
post 1st August 2020, 08:25 PM
Post #801
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,988

Melanie releases some good/great music but there is an awful lot of rubbish and shit thrown out there too. This era feels better as she has picked a sound and style and is going with it success or not.

She actually released TMYB and IWC as joint lead singles from This Time, imagine that, an odd stab at a chart hit with a cover song for a film and a ballad trying to recreate FDOML. What does that tell you about the album or her as an artists.

I think she has been her own worst enemy at times signing up to release random and often awful music and having albums that lack any creative over view of the sound or image.

Rock Me, Cool as you, We love to entertain you, Numb, High Heels, those Jool's Holland songs all just detract from her as an artist for me and I'm sure when people hear these songs think what on earth is this?

Who I am, BIOM and IAOOL all sound like they belong to the same record and same artist. The videos look like they belong to the same era. It is much better quality control and attention to detail.

This post has been edited by sammy01: 1st August 2020, 08:27 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 1st August 2020, 10:17 PM
Post #802
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Aug 1 2020, 09:25 PM) *
Melanie releases some good/great music but there is an awful lot of rubbish and shit thrown out there too. This era feels better as she has picked a sound and style and is going with it success or not.

She actually released TMYB and IWC as joint lead singles from This Time, imagine that, an odd stab at a chart hit with a cover song for a film and a ballad trying to recreate FDOML. What does that tell you about the album or her as an artists.

I think she has been her own worst enemy at times signing up to release random and often awful music and having albums that lack any creative over view of the sound or image.

Rock Me, Cool as you, We love to entertain you, Numb, High Heels, those Jool's Holland songs all just detract from her as an artist for me and I'm sure when people hear these songs think what on earth is this?

Who I am, BIOM and IAOOL all sound like they belong to the same record and same artist. The videos look like they belong to the same era. It is much better quality control and attention to detail.

While I somewhat agree with this, Melanie has been very versatile with her music since the beginning so it's not like it was something different for her releasing a range of songs. Literally every single from her first era have a different style / sound:

1. When you're gone (guitar pop/rock)
2. Going down (rock)
3. Northern star (ballad)
4. Never be the same again (RnB)
5. I turn to you (dance)
6. If that were me (pop)

That's what I adore about Northern Star it is so versatile, yet somehow it works as an album when it really shouldn't, it's what I love about Melanie's career she is so diverse.

I do agree with the lead for This Time being incredibly bizarre. I want candy was actually a top 10 hit for her in a few countries and From the moment you believe went to #1 in a few countries so they clearly worked to some extent but they portrayed the album in a very bizarre way. I've always thought she was very silly to launch This Time off the back of IWC in the UK, the campaign was over before it started. The moment you believe and I want candy (which should never have been released really) should have been stand alone singles and This Time should have started with Understand, Carolyna or Already Gone as a lead across the board.

+Quote this post
Spice Girls Net
post 7th August 2020, 10:18 AM
Post #803
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 64,815

Happy 20th Birthday to the iconic, I Turn To You! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 7th August 2020, 10:37 AM
Post #804
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

QUOTE(sammy01 @ Aug 1 2020, 09:25 PM) *

I understand what you are saying and agree on many parts. I don't think her participating in other artists' songs or releasing one offs is what killed her career for so long (in many ways, it often allowed her to continue to be seen as relevant or at least 'present'. I think it is mostly her own outputs tbh...

Most of her singles since Northern Star album have been piss poor. In fact, she has never really been a good single's artist at all. She had three really good (and successful) ones with her first album, but then in terms of quality it has been a downward spiral since Reason era. Only now she seems to have a bit more consistent quality and tbh after 20 years of shite, it's easy to dismiss her unless you have actively been a fan since the beginning.

Having said all that, I do think that she is on the right direction now. Hope it pays off!

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 7th August 2020, 01:26 PM

+Quote this post
isanka
post 7th August 2020, 12:36 PM
Post #805
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 88,486

Well taste in Music are very personal.

For me her last 4 singles are not memorable at all. I don't have any big Crush like i used to have for "Burn", "First Day of My Life" or "Think About It". So for me she's on the wrong direction. Trying to duplicate actual popular music style.

And you can easily see what king of song she's really into when you check the first song of her last albums. "The Sea", "Dear Life" & "Who I Am" are mid-tempo tracks and this is what she is the best for. They can all fit in the same album.

This post has been edited by isanka: 7th August 2020, 12:57 PM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 7th August 2020, 04:01 PM
Post #806
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Aug 7 2020, 11:37 AM) *
I understand what you are saying and agree on many parts. I don't think her participating in other artists' songs or releasing one offs is what killed her career for so long (in many ways, it often allowed her to continue to be seen as relevant or at least 'present'. I think it is mostly her own outputs tbh...

Most of her singles since Northern Star album have been piss poor. In fact, she has never really been a good single's artist at all.

I think Here it comes again, On the horizon, Next best superstar, First day of my life, Carolyna, Think about it, Weak, Anymore and Loving you are quality songs. All if released by the right type of artist would have been much bigger hits... if Kelly Clarkson had released NBS in 2005 it would have been one of her big hits, if Katy Perry had released Think about it or Anymore at her peak they would have been huge. There's a lot more factors than just the quality of the songs it's no co-incidence that all the girls careers went in the same direction... Emma had a brief blip with Free Me but even Scream sold more and that was seen as a flop for Geri...

Taste in music is subjective I guess... except mine, my taste is the correct taste laugh.gif tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Spiceboy: 7th August 2020, 04:02 PM

+Quote this post
Blond 2.0
post 7th August 2020, 04:14 PM
Post #807
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 39,576

I love that she tried different type and styles with music and I agree with what spiceboy said

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 7th August 2020, 07:40 PM
Post #808
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Aug 7 2020, 05:01 PM) *

I think Here it comes again, On the horizon, Next best superstar, First day of my life, Carolyna, Think about it, Weak, Anymore and Loving you are quality songs. All if released by the right type of artist would have been much bigger hits... if Kelly Clarkson had released NBS in 2005 it would have been one of her big hits, if Katy Perry had released Think about it or Anymore at her peak they would have been huge. There's a lot more factors than just the quality of the songs it's no co-incidence that all the girls careers went in the same direction... Emma had a brief blip with Free Me but even Scream sold more and that was seen as a flop for Geri...

Taste in music is subjective I guess... except mine, my taste is the correct taste laugh.gif tongue.gif

Free Me was a critical success, and a relatively mild comercial success, it was never seen as a huge project.

But I don't really get the whole 'if Kelly Clarkson had released this' argument. Well, yes sure technically maybe. But you can say that about everyone really. With the songs you mentioned, most of the time it sounded like they were songs that Mel was using to seem on trend or like a game, or at least the strategy around their release felt like that.

This new era seems to me the most authentic to her own vision and creativity, and it shows. It is also why the new songs seem to catch up a bit more than before. And even Mel said that she was stuck in a rut for a long time.

Of course, each to their own taste. But let's not pretend that Mel C's outputs have been super experiemental or different since NS era. A LOT of the material released felt unnecessary (This Time, Stages), uninspired (Reason, This Time) or simply out of date by the time it came out (The Sea, Beautiful Intentions which I adore, This Time). Also a lot of the material felt very safe, same-y and/or middle of the road.

On a personal level, I havent bought anything Mel C related for a long time simply because it was all a bit meh and uninspired for someone with so many connections, talent and money dry.gif This time though, I even bought the bloody book laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 7th August 2020, 07:41 PM

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 23rd August 2020, 09:54 AM
Post #809
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588

I'm listening to Mel's episode of the Sound of the 90's on Radio 2 and she is such a natural! I really hope those rumours of her getting her own slot are true, surely they have interest as she is stepping in for Fearne Cotton on this show.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 23rd August 2020, 06:12 PM
Post #810
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Chemistry @ Aug 23 2020, 10:54 AM) *
I'm listening to Mel's episode of the Sound of the 90's on Radio 2 and she is such a natural! I really hope those rumours of her getting her own slot are true, surely they have interest as she is stepping in for Fearne Cotton on this show.

Is she!? When?? I wasn't aware she was.

+Quote this post
Voodoo
post 23rd August 2020, 06:17 PM
Post #811
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 5,829

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Aug 23 2020, 09:12 PM) *
Is she!? When?? I wasn't aware she was.

Listen back: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000lvqx

This post has been edited by Voodoo: 23rd August 2020, 06:20 PM

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 23rd August 2020, 09:39 PM
Post #812
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Oh fabulous, sadly I can't listen to radio as I'm deaf so unable to follow, anything interesting come from it??

+Quote this post
Piers
post 24th August 2020, 03:05 AM
Post #813
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Aug 23 2020, 04:39 PM) *
Oh fabulous, sadly I can't listen to radio as I'm deaf so unable to follow, anything interesting come from it??

It's about two hours long, so I didn't listen to the whole thing. Just skipped around a bit so I could find the little section with Geri.

There were a few cute moments.

A while before Geri came on, Mel played Mi Chico Latino and talked about how gorgeous Geri looked in the video. (I remember Mel even saying back in '99 that she liked Mi Chico Latino)

Mel asked Geri what item reminds her of the 90s. Geri replied a baked potato with beans on top. She said that's what the girls would eat between rehearsals during the early days.

They also talked about the time they were backstage at a Blur concert...and made a bet they'd rush the stage if Girls and Boys was played next. It was...and security had to nab them.

They also talked about Brits '97...and shared a story I hadn't heard before. Geri said the group confronted the president of Sony records backstage and said "You passed on us. BIG MISTAKE."

It was nice. I thought both of them came off well. Geri's funnier talking about bonkers things in her past than in her usual well-mannered interviews. They don't talk about touring or any other possible future plans.

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 24th August 2020, 05:49 AM
Post #814
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

I really enjoyed her little talk with Geri, Geri came across so well as well (no Tory Spice behaviour this time) and it's lovely to just hear them chat together. Mel also said how the Brits 97 felt like a true homecoming for them, "a night where the UK celebrated the Spice Girls".

She started the show with Wannabe ("would be rude not to") and also played Too Much and Viva Forever in the movie segment as part of the Spice World: The Movie soundtrack. She talked about how the movie was shot in six weeks, while writing the album, which was "insane but wonderful" and how it took her years to watch the movie again, until her daughter watched it during a birthday party and one of her daughter friends' said to her "you are in this movie".

She also played a little radio clip of a Spice Girls interview that was done a week before Wannabe was released, very funny to hear, their accents were a lot stronger back then! Talking about chart predictions, Geri said "we are realistisc but optimistic". No one probably would have predicted what was about to happen and we would still be talking about the song 24 years later.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 24th August 2020, 08:40 AM
Post #815
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Aaah how lovely thank you guys 😊

Did anybody hear the bits with Natalie Imbruglia at all?

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 24th August 2020, 10:52 AM
Post #816
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Aug 24 2020, 08:40 AM) *
Aaah how lovely thank you guys 😊

Did anybody hear the bits with Natalie Imbruglia at all?

I did!
It was quite, rather short, but Nat confirmed her working on her new album which will be out next year. And Mel talked about how nice it's to see women supporting other women in the business (when Nat said she has been working with KT Tunstall), especially when the industry can be very ageist against women of a certain age.
Mel also played Torn and Nat shared some memories of the 90's.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 24th August 2020, 11:06 AM
Post #817
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

What's nice about this show is that it shows what a good place Mel C is, especially since she was Bitter Spice for quite a few years during the 00s.

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 24th August 2020, 01:48 PM
Post #818
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member

QUOTE(tommie @ Aug 24 2020, 11:06 AM) *
What's nice about this show is that it shows what a good place Mel C is, especially since she was Bitter Spice for quite a few years during the 00s.

Absolutely!
I think last year's tour changed so much for her, it's now Mel herself who is constantly bringing up the band and she speaks with so much love and happiness. I think until a few years ago, she probably just associated the whole period as a dark period in her live (with her personal struggles behind the scenes).

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 24th August 2020, 09:15 PM
Post #819
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Aaah lovely thank you very much for the updates! wub.gif Glad to hear Nat is working on some new music I've always been a fan of hers Shiver especially is a beaut!

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 24th August 2020, 10:31 PM
Post #820
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Spiceboy @ Aug 24 2020, 10:15 PM) *
Aaah lovely thank you very much for the updates! wub.gif Glad to hear Nat is working on some new music I've always been a fan of hers Shiver especially is a beaut!

I have a bit of a kink for That Day wub.gif

+Quote this post

80 Pages V  « < 39 40 41 42 43 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 12:54 PM