BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> When will the itunes chart start to look meaningless, as streaming becomes more popular?
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
zenon
post 7th October 2014, 01:11 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 8,809

Although the iTunes chart is still in relatively good shape despite the recent inclusion of streaming, how long before we see a case for example an iTunes number 1 only reaching number 20 officially as sales evidently get lower and lower while streaming gets more popular? I would say best part of five years.

This post has been edited by zenon: 7th October 2014, 01:13 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 7th October 2014, 02:33 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

Prob soon enough although that will depend of the OCC regularly going back and reviewing the balance between streaming and sales so in the future less streams will inevitably equal 1 stream and so on. Unless the no1 stream is viewed something like 2 million times and that keeps increasing!

+Quote this post
danG
post 7th October 2014, 03:34 PM
Post #3
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

It'll be a long time before the iTunes chart is seen as 'irrelevant' I think. Especially in the top end where the sales:streaming ratio is currently larger in sales' favour.

I'd say 3-5 years before the Spotify chart is more relevant than the iTunes chart anyhow

+Quote this post
girl_from_oz
post 7th October 2014, 05:03 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 10,540

Itunes may start streaming themselves soon, if that happens, then will the itunes chart be both streams and sales combined?

+Quote this post
danG
post 7th October 2014, 05:07 PM
Post #5
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

I hope not. I don't want to go back to the days when the official chart and the iTunes chart were pretty much the same which made things very predictable (moreso than now and the charts are quite predictable now)

+Quote this post
Eric_Blob
post 7th October 2014, 08:58 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,665

I don't know, although we can use physicals as a model. In 2009 when I started following the charts, the charts were already very similar to iTunes, but I remember in 2009 and 2010 physicals would still boost some songs significantly (boy bands, Kylie Minogue, X Factor singles, etc.), so whilst they weren't really that important by that point, they weren't quite "irrelevent" either.

Perhaps by 2029/2010 it'll be similar with downloads 10 years before. They'll be insignificant most of the time, but for artists with strong fanbases, or charity singles, they'll give songs a boost, whilst "normal" songs won't sell much on iTunes anymore. I'm interested to know when record labels will just not bother releasing certain songs for download at all.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 7th October 2014, 09:04 PM
Post #7
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I'm not entirely sure downloads will ever go out of fashion as much as physicals have - streaming is quite a different method of consuming music, hence the divide of opinion on including it at all in here. The drop-off definitely won't be as quick as it was for physicals at least I think.

+Quote this post
Steve201
post 7th October 2014, 09:29 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Shakin Stevens
User: 5,138

I think that eventually spotify will become so important that if artists want to stay relevant they will have to just release downloads much quicker than they are now or they will be irrelevant!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 05:45 PM