BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Pokemon: Gen 1 Rate Results
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Defaze
post Feb 21 2019, 01:52 AM
Post #61
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 17,608
QUOTE(Dexton @ Feb 17 2019, 01:53 PM) *
Mew rightfully ahead of Mewtwo, although wtf at Eevee being lower than Flareon AND Jolteon??? Vaporeon is the only Gen 1 Eeveelution worth using

I wouldn't say that. Jolteon has always been on par with Vaporeon competitively, if not better. Flareon is admittedly tragic though.

A massive lol at Eevee crashing out. I used to be a fan, but the incessant shoving down our throats 20+ years after its inception is just bizarre. It really doesn't have the range to be fronting a mainline game. And the fact that it can't evolve in LGPE when that's its entire gimmick is beyond tragic. Leafeon remains iconic though.

Speaking of icons, Jigglypuff beating out the 'mascots' is hilarious to see. I don't really use her ingame but she's insanely fun to play as in Smash.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 21 2019, 11:09 AM
Post #62
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
Eevee is best! Shouldn't be that low. I know it's meant to be adorable but that doesn't matter, it categorically is.

31 Butterfree 7.625
32 Vaporeon 7.542
33 Exeggutor 7.500
34 Machamp 7.458
35 Bellsprout 7.458
36 Weepinbell 7.458
37 Ponyta 7.458
38 Slowbro 7.458
39 Snorlax 7.458
40 Nidoqueen 7.417

Nidoqueen loses out quite dramatically against Nidoking, which is still to come, which seems weird, are we NOT a forum full of gays? basil.gif It starts off the top 40 as a satisfyingly powerful end to the Nidogirl line.

Directly ahead of it, are two of the sleepiest Pokémon in the generation. Snorlax is famous for being incredibly big, bulky and most of all THICC, making him an absolute tank of a beast in whatever Pokémon game you play, I get the feeling his offensive power isn't quite as strong to make up for that but he's a Pokémon I've rarely used for fighting - big heavy things have never been my preferred gaming style - so don't quote me on that. Slowbro on the other hand is a Pokémon that has raised lots of philosophical questions. It evolves from Slowpoke when a Shellder bites its tail, causing the Slowpoke to stand up on its hind legs, psychically link itself to the Shellder, gets controlled by it when it bites harder and they both... become one entity? It's a little weird and the result is lower than its unevolved form, but much higher than the Shellder.

Ponies are awesome. Ponies on fire are approximately 20% more awesome, as the small Ponyta proves by being so high up. In a generation filled with strong fire types, if you aren't especially attached to ponies then it might go a little underrated but it's done so well here that we can count that as a victory.

Bellsprout, the incredible dancing tulip flower, and its evolved form Weepinbell land at the same score. Not quite as high as the final form but it just shows how much of a strong evolution line it is - and they work wonders in the games, if you haven't got a strong Grass Pokémon by the time you reach Bellsprouts I consider it a must have, because by then you're about to go up against a lot of Water Pokémon and it blows through them.

Machamp, one of the most primo fighting Pokémon, also got the same score. I've always found it a little scary, four arms and a weird reptilian face, but a very very effective ATK stat makes him one of the best.

Another in the incredibly weird concept Pokémon is Exeggutor. Now this isn't the frankly hilarious Alolan forms, but even the standard version, evolving from eggs into an egg-faced walking palm tree... it's memorable at least. Also another one for incredibly high stats - this time all around. I've started looking at Pokémon stats writing this commentary and I fear the wormhole this could drag me into.

Finally, two of the best Pokémon in this batch of 10 round it off. Vaporeon, my personal favourite of the Gen 1 Eeevelutions, is pretty excellent for a Water Pokemon, being tanky enough to dish it out while looking easily the coolest out of a type that doesn't have nearly as many cool-looking Pokémon as its opposite, Fire. I always call it Vape Nation in my mind, borne out of it being one of the most meta-strong Pokémon in the first few months of Pokémon Go because of its ease of obtaining and high SP compared to Jolteon/Flareon and well, nearly anything else that could be evolved for such a low evo point cost.

And then there's Butterfree. One of the first Pokémon you'll evolve fully in most games, its Psychic/Bug combination is excellent for the first couple of gyms, and getting confusion so early is lovely. It will get outclassed and I'm trying to get through this commentary without just resorting to the emotional end to 'Bye Bye Butterfree'. But it's that episode that cemented this Pokémon so loveably in the Pokémon canon, and it's always going to be considered at least respectfully if not outright loved. It's done well.

+Quote this post
Dexton
post Feb 21 2019, 11:28 AM
Post #63
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
Butterfree is Bug/Flying not Psychic/Bug x

This post has been edited by Dexton: Feb 21 2019, 11:28 AM

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 21 2019, 11:35 AM
Post #64
Group icon
Yes but it uses Confusion which is so valuable early on and so therefore the only reason I use it is for its Psychic abilities. So not technically... but in my mind it is, especially as Psychic-moves don't interact with many types because of their raw power for game balance reasons, so it seems like... less of a type and more an ability if that makes sense.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Feb 23 2019, 05:00 PM
Post #65
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
Y’all need Arceus. How is FLOPREON the highest gen 1 eeveelution?

Honestly if Butterfree were to get a Mega (and it should have gotten one during ORAS!), I’d probably want it to be Bug/Psychic just from its moveset alone.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post Feb 26 2019, 06:44 PM
Post #66
Group icon
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
User: 15,367
21 | Wartortle | 7.833
22 | Psyduck | 7.833
23 | Slowpoke | 7.818
24 | Poliwhirl | 7.792
25 | Kadabra | 7.792
26 | Rapidash | 7.750
27 | Victreebel | 7.667
28 | Haunter | 7.667
29 | Hitmonchan | 7.667
30 | Dragonair | 7.667

Starting us off is the final of the three dragon Pokemon, Dragonair. Perhaps due to being stronger than Dratini, and more likely to be used than Dragonite is the reason it is higher than both? I've always liked to use it, just a shame it's pure dragon and not a dual type. The other fighting Pokemon based on someone in real life is at #29. As the name suggests, Hitmonchan is based off legendary fighter/actor Jackie Chan; not sure where the boxing gloves come into it though. laugh.gif

There are a host of second stage Pokemon in this section, namely Haunter at #28, Kadabra at #25, Poliwhirl at a surprising #24 and Wartortle at #21. Poliwhirl is the only one I wouldn't have put in the top 30 out of those four, the others each have something about them; whether being a strong water type start Pokemon, being big in the anime and helping Ash to defeat Sabrina, or being one of the broken psychic type Pokemon in the first generation. In generation 1 I tend to stay clear of single-type Pokemon (with the exception of Arcanine because it is literally my joint favourite Pokemon), so I wouldn't use any of these personally!

Next we have the Pokemon with what could be considered the loudest, shrillest scream going, Victreebel. Well known for constantly eating James in the anime, it does very respectively in here, finishing at #27. At a pretty disappointing #26 is Rapidash. I expected this to finish much higher, considering there are still two full fire-type families left to come (where will they finish?). I guess it kinda doesn't really do anything that Arcanine or Ninetales doesn't already do...

Finally we have, side by side, two of the dopiest Pokemon going. Considering they are psychic types they don't seem to show it! Slowpoke, at #23, constantly leaves its tail in the water waiting for a Shellder to clamp on to it. Perhaps it might be brainy enough to know it'll evolve in that case, perhaps not. laugh.gif Even worse is literal slowpoke Psyduck at #22. Misty is the not so proud owner of this in the anime, and one thing that could be said about it is that it and it's evolution's names should have been switched. It would have worked much better having it as Golduck and the other, with a jewel on it's head, being called Psyduck.

+Quote this post
Harve
post Feb 26 2019, 10:28 PM
Post #67
Group icon
Cśur poids plume
User: 4,718
Exeggutor's position is a travesty it's definitely in the top 10.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Mar 6 2019, 05:19 PM
Post #68
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
11 Gengar 8.250
12 Bulbasaur 8.167
13 Aerodactyl 8.125
14 Nidoking 8.083
15 Chansey 7.917
16 Zapdos 7.917
17 Charmander 7.875
18 Alakazam 7.875
19 Porygon 7.875
20 Charizard 7.75

Kicking off the top 20 is the evolved version of starter pokemon Charmander despite being a fan favorite for many pokemon fans it seem's it has its fans on Buzzjack but not enough for top 10!. At 17 we also see the first version Charmander, crash out.

19 we have normal type pokemon Porygon which is pretty good to see considering I would have not pictured seeing this pokemon going far.

Psychic pokemon Alakazam which is the final form of Abra is out at 18 which seems about right I can defo use this pokemon in a fight because they are really useful to have especially in the psychic pokemon type.

Next, we lose out on another legendary pokemon, in the form of lightning bird Zaptos. Which, Along with Articuno and Moltres, it is one of the three Legendary birds of Kanto. Much like the original game you can only find this pokemon in a particular location.

The iconic queen Chansey is out next alongside the final form of the Nidoran family, Nidoking. Both crash out 15 and 14 respectively.

At 13 is the unique Rock/Flying Fossil Pokémon known as Aerodactyl, its unique because only a few cannot be found in the wild. You get this pokemon by using a revive from Old Amber at the Pokémon Lab on Cinnabar Island. I think the only other ones you can't get from the wild are the legendary ones and a few others. Someone correct me if I'm wrong laugh.gif

Anyway, we lose yet another starter pokemon at 12 which is Bulbasaur. The grass type pokemon has been a gen 1 starter staple of the series. Known for saying its own name a lot in the pokemon tv series/films. This pokemon defo has its fans for its cuteness. Only Squirttle remaining how it do??

Lastly, finishing the dreaded 11 place its Gengar which is the final form of Gastly and can only be evolved form Haunter when traded. Sadly, the ghost/posion type pokemon misses out on top 10 status. Rest in pepperoni.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Mar 6 2019, 05:34 PM
Post #69
Group icon
lol why use alakazam when earthquake is literally everywhere? High SP attack yes but other than that it dies to everything

Aerodactyl is the best Fossil Pokemon PERIOD. All the other fossil Pokemon that came after Gen 1 aside from maybe Cradily/Tyrantrum on a good day felt like a letdown in comparison.

+Quote this post
Oliver
post Mar 10 2019, 10:27 PM
Post #70
Group icon
So, your top 10 is as follows (in alphabetical order):

Arcanine
Articuno
Blastoise
Growlithe
Lapras
Ninetales
Scyther
Squirtle
Starmie
Vulpix

#10 and #9 will be revealed tomorrow, an ideas who has fallen at the final hurdle?

+Quote this post
Dexton
post Mar 11 2019, 02:03 AM
Post #71
Group icon
rip in peace Dickston
User: 25,045
Bastiodon can be a fking beast on the right team but it can also be a huge waste of time if you don’t know what you’re doing laugh.gif Aerodactyl will always be #1 tho even if it’s mega was crap

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Mar 12 2019, 04:05 AM
Post #72
Group icon
My bad, let's get the top 10 going!

9 Blastoise 8.417
10 Starmie 8.375

First to fall are two really quite iconic Pokémon, though I'm a little surprised that Starmie's made it so far. Obviously one of Misty's key battlers from Gen 1, and a fair tank of a Water Pokémon, I guess it's just fairly hard to hate? I'm not sure on its effectiveness, I've never actually used one, but its moveset, with plenty of Psychic moves available, looks like a good one.

And Blastoise, another part of a heavy water start to the top ten, is the highest fully-evolved starter, with his first form yet to come (I guess this means we know who the best starter is). Blastoise is a powerhouse though and perfect for blasting your opponent with high force water jets, possibly the only Pokémon water attacks that would really hurt opponents in ways other than making them damp.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Mar 12 2019, 04:25 PM
Post #73
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
User: 20,835
Starmie is an icon and I won't see otherwise!

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Mar 12 2019, 07:08 PM
Post #74
Group icon
Starmie getting so much recognition (although is it the lowest ranking Pokemon to score an 18? my flop taste)

It has okay defenses but more than makes up for it with amazing coverage. Any non-Electric Water type that can learn Thunderbolt was always gonna be a force to be reckoned with but Starmie has the speed to back it up. It got f*cked over in Gen 7 but UU today is basically the OU tier ten years ago.

+Quote this post
Doug
post Mar 14 2019, 12:54 AM
Post #75
Group icon
I can't help that I need it all...
User: 9,410
Both underrated Waters getting that much needed recognition!

Arcanine to win, but I love that Growlithe is still in too. Name a more iconic evolution line I'll wait wub.gif

+Quote this post
Oliver
post Mar 14 2019, 07:40 AM
Post #76
Group icon
QUOTE(Doug @ Mar 14 2019, 12:54 AM) *
Both underrated Waters getting that much needed recognition!

Arcanine to win, but I love that Growlithe is still in too. Name a more iconic evolution line I'll wait wub.gif

There isn’t one. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Oliver
post Mar 14 2019, 07:41 AM
Post #77
Group icon
#7 and #8 up tonight, any guesses?

+Quote this post
Oliver
post Mar 14 2019, 08:29 PM
Post #78
Group icon
08 | Scyther | 8.458

First up at #8 we have Scyther. I'm actually really surprised this managed to make it into the top 10, it's definitely the least deserving in my mind but let's not rain on it's parade! Seen as a parallel to Pinsir due to them both having a base stat total of 500 and both being Bug Pokemon, this one definitely has the upper hand of being more badass.

I've never really used it in any of the games, and it didn't really come into prevalence until generation 2, where it was gym leader Bugsy's main Pokemon. It did, however, let you storm to victory in the National Park competition if you managed to catch one with full health. Always made sure I had enough Park balls to catch one!

It also isn't that much of a standout in the anime either; the aforementioned one used by Bugsy is again the most noticeable.

07 | Articuno | 8.500

In at #7 is the final legendary Kanto bird, Articuno. Possibly the most graceful of the three, it's appearance was mistaken by Ash in the anime of that of Ho-Oh!! It was also the last generation 1 Pokemon to be included in the anime, not even appearing in the first season (not debuting until the 187th episode!!).

I always loved trying to catch Articuno solely for the fact that I have a fond appreciation of the Seafoam Islands. They were an absolute nightmare at times, and with it being in the middle of the sea meant a constant supply of hyper potions and super repels to make the journey easier. I also actually used Articuno sometimes against the Elite Four, which I can't say for Moltres and Zapdos...

A little tidbit...other than Smeargle (and Poliwrath in generation 2), Articuno is the only Pokemon that can learn both an accuracy-focusing move and a one-hit KO move (Mind Reader and Sheer Cold respectively). A deadly combination if not taken care of very quickly).

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post Mar 14 2019, 09:49 PM
Post #79
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232
I love all the legendary birds but Articuno in particular is beautiful, I love it's battle cry in particular, as well as being amazing with the ice moves.

This top 10 is mainly very good, can't believe Charizard isn't there though, don't lie to me that that card wasn't the equivalent of being a millionaire back in the day ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Dircadirca
post Mar 15 2019, 04:12 AM
Post #80
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 19,614
QUOTE(Oliver @ Mar 15 2019, 04:29 AM) *
it's appearance was mistaken by Ash in the anime of that of Ho-Oh!! It was also the last generation 1 Pokemon to be included in the anime, not even appearing in the first season (not debuting until the 187th episode!!).

Did not know either of these! I always assumed it really was Ho-Oh and it was a sort of teaser akin to how Togepi appears so early.

+Quote this post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:07 AM