BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
31 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Lana Del Rey - Born To Die
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
p a v
post 3rd December 2011, 06:10 PM
Post #21
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

I still can't get over the RAY in the topic title. Can anyone change it BEFORE I LOST MY PEDANTIC MIND? sad.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Brer
post 3rd December 2011, 06:20 PM
Post #22
Group icon
is my brain across your walls?
User: 8,300

QUOTE(Conderella @ Dec 3 2011, 06:10 PM) *
I still can't get over the RAY in the topic title. Can anyone change it BEFORE I LOST MY PEDANTIC MIND? sad.gif

kink.gif

+Quote this post
jakee
post 3rd December 2011, 07:03 PM
Post #23
Group icon
i thought you wore the hairpiece for style
Pronouns: ·
User: 47

I just cannot buy into her. There's something so FORCED about her both musically and in terms of image.

+Quote this post
ϑЃεβϘ
post 3rd December 2011, 07:22 PM
Post #24
Group icon
I Was Born Free
User: 1,751

QUOTE(Conderella @ Dec 3 2011, 06:10 PM) *

Done!

+Quote this post
Atonement
post 3rd December 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #25
Group icon
I just had to see your face to feel alive
User: 10,676

She's trying too hard.

+Quote this post
p a v
post 3rd December 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #26
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397

QUOTE(Bré @ Dec 3 2011, 10:20 PM) *
kink.gif

Ha indeed.

And HURRA at it being changed wub.gif

The song remains incredible after 15 more listens.

+Quote this post
Cal
post 3rd December 2011, 08:08 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 5,964

This is just as amazing as Video Games for me. happy.gif

+Quote this post
Mart!n
post 3rd December 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #28
Group icon
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
User: 2

This is just like eating a cherry bakewell tart with cream on top, just lush. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Jester
post 4th December 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #29
Group icon
Right in front of my salad?!
Pronouns: he/him
User: 12

Rather good, but I prefer Blue Jeans/Video Games.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post 7th December 2011, 04:22 PM
Post #30
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561

Love it! I haven't been disappointed with anything she's put out so far, however "Video Games" still remains my favourite and by far one of the best singles of the year.

I'm looking forward to the debut, that and it's inevitable panning by the predictable critics. tongue.gif

+Quote this post
russt68
post 7th December 2011, 05:52 PM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 213

Loved Video Games, love this even more... although she does look a bit like a prettier version of Julia Roberts in the video.... huh.gif

+Quote this post
152chris
post 9th December 2011, 01:18 PM
Post #32
Group icon
down with jakewild
User: 10,105

I actually love this so much more than Video Games/Blue Jeans. Maybe I will end up coming round to her after all...

+Quote this post
titty
post 9th December 2011, 04:29 PM
Post #33
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 4,391

Wow - I'm impressed.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 9th December 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #34
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

Holy Jesus, I nearly cried when I heard this. I like this much more than Video Games. It could be the strings. There's something very 60's about parts of it. Some of the structure reminds me of a Dusty Springfield song. Just ravishing, in general. wub.gif wub.gif

This post has been edited by tonyttt31: 9th December 2011, 10:26 PM

+Quote this post
post 9th December 2011, 10:26 PM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,513

I like Video Games but I find something very troubling about her. I understand that with her aesthetic certain things makes sense: but she's basically become the new "it" girl via plastic surgery and nostalgia for a time when women were treated as objects whose only purpose is to be wanted by men. Her marketers (as well as her) have basically taken every step to appeal to the sex drive of the music industry, which is very much male driven (indie or not). Not that there's a problem with sort of exploring the themes that she does in Video Games and Born to Die, but considering it seems to be mostly marketing and not a personal choice, it makes me uncomfortable and I can't really listen to her the same knowing Born to Die is just some man's wet dream indie song (if it was written by a man or Lana herself I apologize, but either way I get the sense that a lot of the people she's working with and who are creating her image are straight men). CocoRosie explore these themes much more poignantly in a song like "By Your Side" than Lana Del Rey ever will.

I might be reading into all of it too much. I still really like Video Games, go2sadsong.

+Quote this post
Colm
post 9th December 2011, 10:39 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Yes, it's me.
User: 9,885

I recognise that if what your saying is true then it could take away from the appreciation of any song that she releases because it starts to become a product rather than a statement of the artist. Some bands and artists are marketing fabrications and it only really works if they dont hide it. If it is hidden then people feel conned to a certain degree when the truth comes out.

+Quote this post
post 9th December 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 1,513

I mean it was pretty obvious from the beginning that Lana Del Rey was being marketed a certain way—I don't really feel "conned" so much as that the more she continues coming out with songs like these less of a fan I become. They're troublesome because they're not just "pop" songs; they're sort of desperate, lonely songs about yearning for the love of a man and trying to appease him sexually ("you like your girls insane") which should not be seen as a positive experience by an means (and is not a theme you really see in mainstream pop music, it feels like it's making somewhat of a statement). And I don't think she is saying that this idea of women being sex objects for men is great, but because she's just a pop artist with a marketing team in the end, it takes a very real issue and makes it feel dishonest and perpetuates the problem (I brought up CocoRosie's song because it has lines like "all I ever wanted was just to be your housewife" and "I'll wear your black eyes, bake you apple pies"—it highlights the complexities of wanting to be with a man so much that you're willing to take abuse and be objectified, perhaps even expecting it). CocoRosie are clearly artistic individuals though and there's a clear irony to that whole song. If Lana Del Rey is being marketed like this by men though, it's not honest, it's not ironic, it's misogynistic and problematic. I don't know if this is really making any sense, ~ i'm tryin i promis ~ I'm also a male with male privilege so I don't want to act like I'm speaking for all women.

In terms of pop music, give me someone like Rihanna, Mariah Carey, or Nicki Minaj any day. Even if Lana Del Rey has "indie cred", eff that.

maybe i just shouldnt get serious on bj tho idk

+Quote this post
jakee
post 10th December 2011, 03:45 PM
Post #38
Group icon
i thought you wore the hairpiece for style
Pronouns: ·
User: 47

QUOTE(Medicated Soap @ Dec 9 2011, 10:58 PM) *
I mean it was pretty obvious from the beginning that Lana Del Rey was being marketed a certain way—I don't really feel "conned" so much as that the more she continues coming out with songs like these less of a fan I become. They're troublesome because they're not just "pop" songs; they're sort of desperate, lonely songs about yearning for the love of a man and trying to appease him sexually ("you like your girls insane") which should not be seen as a positive experience by an means (and is not a theme you really see in mainstream pop music, it feels like it's making somewhat of a statement). And I don't think she is saying that this idea of women being sex objects for men is great, but because she's just a pop artist with a marketing team in the end, it makes a very real issue and makes it feel dishonest and perpetuates the problem (I brought up CocoRosie's song because it has lines like "all I ever wanted was just to be your housewife" and "I'll wear your black eyes, bake you apple pies"—it highlights the complexities of wanting to be with a man so much that you're willing to take abuse and be objectified, perhaps even expecting it). CocoRosie are clearly artistic individuals though and there's a clear irony to that whole song. If Lana Del Rey is being marketed like this by men though, it's not honest, it's not ironic, it's misogynistic and problematic. I don't know if this is really making any sense, ~ i'm tryin i promis ~ I'm also a male with male privilege so I don't want to act like I'm speaking for all women.

In terms of pop music, give me someone like Rihanna, Mariah Carey, or Nicki Minaj any day. Even if Lana Del Rey has "indie cred", eff that.

maybe i just shouldnt get serious on bj tho idk

From Bre's WORST POST OF THE MONTH to THE BEST POST OF THE MONTH. I fully concur and being around straight men when the video to 'Video Games' has come on and then their reactions to HER/THE SONG pays testament to everything you've articulated on in the last two posts.

BOGUS

+Quote this post
orpheus
post 10th December 2011, 03:55 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Climber
User: 15,685

"Diet Mtn Dew" is by far my favorite from her. That chorus is so seductive. I liked Video Games and Blue Jeans but this one got me interested in her.

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 10th December 2011, 03:59 PM
Post #40
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

QUOTE(Medicated Soap @ Dec 9 2011, 10:58 PM) *
I mean it was pretty obvious from the beginning that Lana Del Rey was being marketed a certain way

Agree with this bit.

I do love her music but there's something so manufactured about her whole vibe. I thought it back from when I first heard Video Games.

+Quote this post

31 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 03:29 AM