BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Taftys Movies of 2022 • COUNTDOWN, COMPLETE. 87 movies. One year. 2022.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Herbs
post 10th January 2023, 10:01 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

QUOTE(Tafty³³³ @ Jan 10 2023, 09:59 PM) *
I largely agree about 'Bros'. He really was insufferable as a lead. Kinda like that spin-off of a popular side character but falls completely flat coz they're a better character in small doses.

Yeah the movie wasn't for me and it was really hard for me to ignore the romance aspect when they kept mentioning their ages throughout. drama.gif

I do want to know what you think about the Debra Messing cameo though. That was a definite highlight for me!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 10th January 2023, 10:21 PM
Post #22
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

ROALD DAHL'S MATILDA: THE MUSICAL
Score out of 5: ★★★

[UK Release Date: 25th NOVEMBER]

This was a cute and fun little movie. Some of the kids (including Matilda - oops) were a bit annoying and I find that it’s a British thing tbh. I don’t get on well when the accent is so strong and overly emphasised lol, but that’s just a personal thing really.

Not sure I’ll remember many of the songs, but the choreo is as fantastic! A biiiig highlight of the movie, I think.

Going into this I wasn’t too sure how I felt about Lashanna Lynch as Miss Honey but she ended up being the absolute highlight for me. She brought everything that was needed to the character and her voice was stunning!

Not gonna be one I remember too much but I liked it.

----

THE LOST CITY

[UK Release Date: 13th APRIL]

This was a decent adventure movie. Nothing really original or new, but it's a fun movie for times like this.

Just a fun, quirky adventure movie. Channing Tatum is the highlight for me. I always forget how good his comedic timing actually is. There's also a fun mid-00's adventure feel to it.

The main negative is that when it finished, I didn't really care to watch it again, despite enjoying it somewhat and I think it's largely down to being a bit generic on the whole.

Would I watch it again? Sure. But maybe in a few years.

----

BULLET TRAIN

[UK Release Date: 3rd AUGUST]

Mindless, dumb, fun action. So pretty much as expected.

But suffers from the same problem I have with majority of action movies like this... I find them pretty generic and one-note throughout (just get bored of the constant shootings and action sequences) but it's entertaining all the same.

Joey King was the highlight for me but everyone else was solid and good too. I doubt I'd ever watch again but who knows!

----

MINIONS: THE RISE OF GRU

[UK Release Date: 1st JULY]

Definitely the best one since Despicable Me 2. It's a very meh franchise on the whole, but this and the 2nd installment of DM are genuinely fun and humorous.

Bob is by far the most adorable Minion. 10 out of 10. Would protect at all costs!

----

AFTERSUN

[UK Release Date: 22nd NOVEMBER]

Paul Mescal and Frankie Corio put in some brilliant performances but I’m not sure it was enough to carry a story where the structure of it ended up being a bit of a mess. It felt like things were happening, but not really happening, at the same time.

I liked the Father-Daughter stuff throughout though, especially coz they were carried by the two leads. Also, I think it helps that I’ve suffered from some kind of “daddy issues” growing up so with stories like this, I really route for the Dad’s to have a strong bond with their kids.

I also quite liked that it was showing the struggles a bit from both perspectives. The adult one and the kid one. I think this just suffered from editing issues and they tried to make it appealing for a certificate that would broaden the Box Office. It should’ve been a 15 and should have gone a bit further than it did with it’s themes. Idk, maybe that’s just me.

I did like it, but I’m not sure I’d watch it again (and that’s fine). I understand the reviews for the performances.

----

SPIRITED

[UK Release Date: 18th NOVEMBER]

This was a cute Xmas movie. We’ll see how it holds in my affections if I want to rewatch over Christmas at some point but I don’t see any reason why I wouldn’t.

It was fun and pretty funny. I do think it suffered from, oddly, not feeling as festive as it perhaps should have been. Especially the songs which seemed to be pretty big standard musical theater songs (not a bad thing but you want something a little more festive in your Christmas musical, no?)

Octavia Spencer is such a sweetheart! I love her so much! So likeable and you just wanna give her the biggest hug imagineable.

I liked how mid-00’s comedy this felt though. It’s very much a mid-00’s Ryan Reynolds movie in 2022.

Looking forward to rewatching this at some point and seeing how much it holds in my affections. A cute movie overall though.

----

GOOD LUCK TO YOU, LEO GRANDE

[UK Release Date: 17th JUNE]

This was charming, cute, funny and awkwardly endearing. It's all down to the magnificent performances by the 2 leads.

A very insightful watch and view on sex work and a bit eye opening on just a couple of things that factors into it all.

It was a bit one note at times and had that dry-British feel to it, that I don't really care for, but there was some outstanding acting performances in this. I'd recommend this. I think people would be surprised.

----

JACKASS 4.5

[UK Release Date: 20th MAY]

Just as fun as the original 4th one. It's still so odd to me that a Jackass movie works so well now as it did when it originally aired.

Just bonkers, gross and fun.

----

JACKASS FOREVER

[UK Release Date: 4th FEBRUARY]

Nothing new but still very entertaining. I didn't think that we would ever need a new Jackass movie in 2022, but the escapism is exactly what the doctor ordered after the last few years.

Just pure nonsense and all out fun, with that added nostalgic factor.

I never thought I'd ever tear up or cry at a Jackass movie, but that Spider one was the biggest nope of all the nopes in my entire life. To the point I had to cover my eyes as I felt my tear fall down my cheek lmaoooo. Ugh just no thank you. Not for me.

But yeah a lot of fun and joy after the last couple of years.

----

VIOLENT NIGHT

[UK Release Date: 2nd DECEMBER]

I had little to no expectation of this, I came out of it thinking it did exactly what was expected from it.

It’s actually cheesy, corny & predictable but also pretty entertaining and humorous. Tonally it is all over the place though and loses track of whether it wants to be comedy or B-movie action or whatever with pretty poorly executed line delivery here and there.

The final 40 mins or so are a RIOT and so fun though. Loooooved the ending of the big finale fight! Lmaoooooo very inventive! Some really funny, ott gory deaths.

Liked this more than I expected to tbh, although it’s far from perfect! I think I’d have preferred it if they stuck to the tongue-in-cheek comedy side of it.

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 10th January 2023, 10:23 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Miss Honey really was a highlight of Matilda. I'd have rated it higher myself smile.gifD

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 11th January 2023, 10:54 AM
Post #24
Group icon

QUOTE(Herbs @ Jan 10 2023, 10:01 PM) *
I do want to know what you think about the Debra Messing cameo though. That was a definite highlight for me!
I am not ALL too familiar with her as I've never seen 'Will & Grace' *hides* but I really did love her part in the movie. I thought it was very funny (as I am aware of her impact on gay pop culture).

QUOTE(Herbs @ Jan 10 2023, 10:23 PM) *
Miss Honey really was a highlight of Matilda. I'd have rated it higher myself smile.gifD
Lashana is having a GREAT career at the moment between this, The Woman King, No Time To Die & the MCU. Very excited for her to take the lead in something and slay!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 11th January 2023, 04:07 PM
Post #25
Group icon

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER

[UK Release Date: 7th JULY]

I liked it but didn't love it. Lots of things worked but also a few things that didn't. I feel Taika's tone isn't right for how serious and dark this storyline was, so it was quite hard to grasp at times.

Having said that, I chuckled a few times and I was finding it really enjoyable and fun too. I did love how dark and sinister Gorr was and thought Christian Bale really excelled in the role. One of the darkest MCU villains to date.

Really loved seeing Korg and King Valkyrie again! I love them 2 so much. Enjoyed Doctor Jane Foster as The Mighty Thor too. Elements really did work, but I just thought tonally it was a mess.

Could easily watch it again though!

----

THE FALLOUT
Score out of 5: ★★★1/2

[UK Release Date: N/A]

First thing's first Jenna Ortega is a STAR. What a revelation she has been to me since Scream.

Whilst not feeling particularly original, when this hits... it hits. I'd have liked a bit more to happen with the story, but other than that everything else did what it was supposed to. I'm sure it'd be a bit more personal to people living in the States, but it still hits hard as to how much those gun laws NEED to change.

Jenna carries this movie throughout, however it's those sister moments with Lumi Pollack that really stand out, specifically the moment where they're in bed. Fantastic stuff.

----

DON'T MAKE ME GO

[UK Release Date: 15th JULY]

The 2nd of 2 2022 Father/Daughter movies on the 2nd of January. Lol.

This was actually more endearing than Aftersun. The performances - whilst good - weren’t as strong as the ones in Aftersun. But there was a lot more to it overall as a movie.

The twist was pretty good and well executed though.

----

TERRIFIER 2

[UK Release Date: 24th OCTOBER]

Much better overall than the first, but I do think it was a tad too OTT with the gore. Also, not a fan of the supernatural element they added to it...

The beauty of this franchise is that Art the Clown is f***ing TERRIFYING! Legit one of the most f***ed up and creepiest slasher killers, at least in recent memory, due to him being so grounded in reality. So the last 15 mins or so was a big no for me. Would have preferred another way for her to have beat his ass and maybe not chopped off his head to set up for future installments and have another fun slasher franchise, that way.

The length was also too long for what it was imo. Slashers are best when they're 80-100 mins long and there was a fair bit in this that could have been cut out to have had a better paced, fun movie.

But plenty of "fun" to be had and like I said, I can't reiterate much more just how terrifying a villain Art is. So f***ed up!

----

LIGHTYEAR

[UK Release Date: 17th JUNE]

Enjoyed this. I think this would have been better received/enjoyed sometime after the 1st or before the 3rd Toy Story though. Has the same issue with the 4th in that as a film, it's perfectly fine and actually very enjoyable, but it's not really "needed".

Chris Evans made a great Buzz Lightyear and I really enjoyed the Sox addition as well as Keke Palmer & Taika Waititi with their characters and I liked that it is essentially Top Gun: Maverick meets Interstellar, with added martians/monsters etc..

What really would have sold this, would've been that during the credits scenes, if we got Andy's reaction after watching the movie with his toys and him yelling "BEST. FILM. EVER!!!!" excitement.

Cute but not essential.

----

BELFAST

[UK Release Date: 21st JANUARY]

For how simple the story seemed to be, the way it was told seemed to be quite rushed and a bit of a mess and I can't decide whether it was done deliberately or not. I assume so.

But strong performances all around. Jude Hill puts in one of the better performances seen by a child actor since Roman Griffin Davis in Jojo Rabbit.

Kenneth's directing was stunning. The cinematography was wonderful too. There was a shot of Buddy, Will & Pa all sitting on the sofa together (in order of generation) with similar expressions that was beautiful. Dame Judi Dench was wonderful throughout too.

Apart from wanting a bit more meat in the story and a real moment to really connect with more of the characters, this was endearingly cute and charming, all the same.

Also, I'm a sucker for a random, feel-good sing-a-long moment. Everlasting Love is a bop and was used really effectively!

----

THE UNBEARABLE WEIGHT OF MASSIVE TALENT

[UK Release Date: 22nd APRIL]

Renaming this Pedro Pascal: The Unbearable Weight of Having to Carry Nic Cage to His Best Movie in... YEARS tbh.

That makes it sound like I didn't like this when I actually really enjoyed it. This is shocking for me considering that, if you know me, Nic Cage is one of 2 actors I have an irrational hatred for. Idk why, but he usually just pisses me off tbh and I really dislike the ironic stanning for him... I just don't get it. Even ironically.

But this was well written and very funny. Largely thanks to Pedro Pascal, but Nicolas definitely had some very fun and funny moments. Extremely meta and self aware and that was it's charm and where it excelled the best. Kinda lost it's charm slightly towards the end, before bringing it back for a big finale (like most comedies tbh) but a very enjoyable movie on the whole.

The Paddington 2 running joke gets an A+ from me. I really appreciated that!!

----

FIRE ISLAND

[UK Release Date: 3rd JUNE]

A really fun, feel good and cute romantic comedy. The cast had really good and strong chemistry.

I struggled with Noah to begin with as I felt he was being a bit of an obnoxious arse. But he had good growth and it set up the perfect arc for him. Howie was adorable throughout though!

Will was my favourite. He seemed really sweet and I just want to protect him from the world. I understand why he was so hostile to begin with but I couldn't help but root for him! I think Conrad has big potential to breakout into more leading roles!

The chemistry between Joel & Conrad/Bowen & Bowen & James and Margaret & Everyone was palpable. Great chemistry amongst the cast overall though which helped in making this an easy, fun and enjoyable watch.

----

THE GRAY MAN

[UK Release Date: 15th JULY]

GODling & HEvans in the same movie..... The greatest movie of all time. Idc.

When Evans said "Ballsy" I may have become pregnant. Whew. ��

All seriousness though, there was a moment in it where it felt like it was overstuffed with action and some of it was a mess, like the plane stuff... I appreciate what they were going for/trying to do but it was not executed well/looked so ropey, it hurt my head.

I had a lot of fun though! This isn't anywhere near the disaster critics like to think it is. It's just an all out, wall to wall (generic, yes) spy, action Netflix thriller. Evans was a great villain and my personal highlight. He had great chemistry with Gosling. Ana de Armas, Regé-Jean & Dhanush were specifically great/very good too. It's a shame we got so little of the latter 2, especially Dhanush. But just builds for a potential sequel.

Between this and No Time To Die, I'm so so so hyped for Ana's 'John Wick' spin-off!

Gosling has a very unique, quirky delivery style that just adds to his performances every time.

Liked it a lot and although I would have stripped back on the action sequences a tad, it was a blast from start to finish and probably the best "straight to Netflix" action movie I've seen so far?

Give me more HEvans & GODling movies plz and thank you.

----

THE BATMAN

[UK Release Date: 4th MARCH]

Been toying with a 4 for this. Honestly, not much I could fault at all. Really, REALLY well made and executed by Matt Reeves. The cast were as good/great as I expected them to be (hey Zoë!). The cinematography was mesmerizing. The directing was extremely well thought out and executed. Some really fantastic and beautiful scenes and I was a fan of the fight sequences.

The main gripes for me were (and the large reasons for not going higher in score) A- I felt the length of the movie after it finished. B- The story didn't really hold much of my interest, away from the Riddler story - which to me, was excellent and C- it really could've ended several times and it would have been fine/just as well executed and self contained. It just seemed a bit bloated and convulted at times and I did end up thinking "will this ever end?" a couple of times.

The Riddler story was my favourite thing about it and I loved the David Fincher/Se7en-esque style behind it all. Paul Dano was very well cast, however, it just kept making me think of his character in Prisoners. Not really a bad thing though. The Penguin/Falcone stuff is where it lost me the most. Not to say Colin Farrell or John Turturro gave rubbish performances or anything (FAR from), I just wasn't as invested in that side of the story as much personally and felt it was getting repetitive at times.

There was a scene, which I really hope was done deliberately, that was very much like the Darth Vader scene in Rogue One, not only visually but with the score too!

It's really well executed and delivered for the most part and probably does deserve a higher score, but we'll see if the side story that didn't really keep my interest much (but makes up a lot of the movie), grabs it more on a rewatch or something. The main problem is... when will I be bothered about sitting through the run time willingly again? (Probs soon tbh lol - I wanna take all that cinematography and style in on the big screen at least once again - so I'll force myself).

---

*2nd REVIEW*

I was thinking I'd up this score on a rewatch now that I "know what to expect" and was kinda hoping it wouldn't feel like it was as long as it is.

I was wrong. Just a chore to sit through and I'm really not bothered about sitting through it again in the near future tbh.

The most painful thing is... it could quite easily have been cut down a good 45 mins and it'd have been such a flawless movie coz the issues I have are not with the brilliant performances, the excellent direction and nor is it with the stunning cinematography.

Remove the Penguin arc and a lot of the Falcone stuff (introduce/tease them for Penguin's show or whatever instead - fine) and keep it as a predominently Riddler heavy movie and I'd be raving about this just as much as everyone else currently seems to.

It hurts to say this coz I LOVE majority of this movie... but unfortunately there's also enough that I really couldn't care less about and it's an off-putting amount.

Just needlessly and pointlessly LONG. I sure as hell felt the length again. I'M SORRY!

*insert a witty comment about making a movie short and dying a hero or making one so long you see yourself become the villain* etc..

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 11th January 2023, 06:12 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Glad you liked Belfast

I need to watch Fire Island!!!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 11th January 2023, 06:36 PM
Post #27
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

I'm with you on The Batman!! I can see why people think it's the best thing ever but to me, only parts of it are brilliant. There is a lot that can be cut (namely The Penguin as you also say) and it does feel over-long. I hate a darkly lit action scene too but perhaps that's more of a personal gripe. Yes, it's objectively better than something Thor 4 but sometimes you just wanna have fun!! I think they're about on par for me too, and it seems they're not far apart for you either.

I wish more people had seen Good Luck to You, Leo Grande!! I wasn't interested in it at all from the trailers but I was so charmed by it that I think it's going to be very high on my list!! It's one of those films I'd never have seen if I didn't have an Unlimited card yet I'm beyond happy that I did see it. Whereas I'd probably fork out the money to go see something like Fantastic Beasts 3 or Jurassic World 3 and they're a bit naff in comparison. The joys of cinema, ey!

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 11th January 2023, 06:53 PM
Post #28
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

Terrifier *.* It was way, way too long and had such a generic plotline and characters, but the gore and Art the Clown were clearly the main setpieces and there was a lot of fun. I honestly laughed at the gore scenes, they were just so ridiculously over the top, especially that friend scene!

Watched Matilda during the holidays and really enjoyed it, probably would enjoy it even more on the stage, but it was a good adaptation and well-cast. Revolting Children and School Song were great, the latter was so clever with its alphabet lyrics!

The Batman was too long and the climax was a bit of a letdown, but generally, I really enjoyed it. The villain was strong and Robert Pattinson really did a great job. Not up there with the Nolan movies, but there have been worse reboots x

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 12th January 2023, 10:53 AM
Post #29
Group icon

QUOTE(Herbs @ Jan 11 2023, 06:12 PM) *
Glad you liked Belfast

I need to watch Fire Island!!!
'Fire Island' is a lot of fun, plus I love the use of Britney - Sometimes in it. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 12th January 2023, 11:00 AM
Post #30
Group icon

QUOTE(Josh! @ Jan 11 2023, 06:36 PM) *
I'm with you on The Batman!! I can see why people think it's the best thing ever but to me, only parts of it are brilliant. There is a lot that can be cut (namely The Penguin as you also say) and it does feel over-long. I hate a darkly lit action scene too but perhaps that's more of a personal gripe. Yes, it's objectively better than something Thor 4 but sometimes you just wanna have fun!! I think they're about on par for me too, and it seems they're not far apart for you either.

I wish more people had seen Good Luck to You, Leo Grande!! I wasn't interested in it at all from the trailers but I was so charmed by it that I think it's going to be very high on my list!! It's one of those films I'd never have seen if I didn't have an Unlimited card yet I'm beyond happy that I did see it. Whereas I'd probably fork out the money to go see something like Fantastic Beasts 3 or Jurassic World 3 and they're a bit naff in comparison. The joys of cinema, ey!
Thor 4 has the benefit of being able to just stick on for some mindless, superhero fun. The Batman may feel more rewarding, but I won't be going back to it near as much. Glad we're on a similar wavelength with this. There's another movie coming up that, although I rated it 4 stars (26 movies have a 4+ star rating for me this year... omg) it's kinda overrated and isn't anywhere near as good as everyone else seems to think it is! We'll see if you can guess which one I'm referring to when it shows up in my next post lmao.

I missed GLTY,LG at the cinema but I'm glad I caught it. It was better than I expected it would be, too. I thought they both had excellent chemistry together and as I said in my review, it kind of opened my eyes some more to the more "business" (??) side of sex workers.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 12th January 2023, 11:06 AM
Post #31
Group icon

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Jan 11 2023, 06:53 PM) *
Terrifier *.* It was way, way too long and had such a generic plotline and characters, but the gore and Art the Clown were clearly the main setpieces and there was a lot of fun. I honestly laughed at the gore scenes, they were just so ridiculously over the top, especially that friend scene!

Watched Matilda during the holidays and really enjoyed it, probably would enjoy it even more on the stage, but it was a good adaptation and well-cast. Revolting Children and School Song were great, the latter was so clever with its alphabet lyrics!

The Batman was too long and the climax was a bit of a letdown, but generally, I really enjoyed it. The villain was strong and Robert Pattinson really did a great job. Not up there with the Nolan movies, but there have been worse reboots x
THAT scene was insane. I don't think I've seen anything quite as ott and ridiculous as that one lmao! Yeah, the last 15 mins or so completely ruined it for me </3 They're the two songs that stood out for me too along with Miss Honey's 'My House' which I found to be really lovely!

Absolutely there have been worse reboots. I don't think this is anywhere near as bad as it could have been and as I said, if it was cut down by a good 30-45 mins, it would probably have been an all-timer superhero movie for me! But unfortunately, it just dragged and there was quite a bit I just didn't care about. Would have been better had we had more Riddler and less Penguin/Mafia stuff, imo. I don't mind an introdcutory scene or 2 to the Penguin to set up their HBO Max show, but yeah. That entire part of the movie just didn't hold my interest much, if at all. sad.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 12th January 2023, 11:41 AM
Post #32
Group icon

SEE HOW THEY RUN

[UK Release Date: 9th SEPTEMBER]

I had a lot of fun during this. The twists were really well executed and the chemistry between the cast was very strong all throughout.

Saoirse Ronan is an absolute DELIGHT and a treasure who needs to be protected at all costs. Sam Rockwell was great too.

It was funnier than I thought it would be and there were more than a couple of times where I could have believed it was any one of them. I did guess (quite early) who it eventually ended up being though, which is a win for me as I usually over think things and so it never ends up being them lmao.

Not *quite* Knives Out but it's a lot better than Murder On The Orient Express and (presumably - not seen it but heard dreadful things) Death On The Nile out of recent murder mysteries.

Just a fun, switch your brain off and get lost in the movie.

----

THE MENU

[UK Release Date: 18th NOVEMBER]

You know when one company does one kinda thing and gets a reputation for it, becomes incredibly successful and then we get other studios attempting that same kinda style but somehow feels a bit hollow? Yeah this is basically Searchlight attempting an A24 movie.

Not necessarily a bad thing and despite great performances and it being directed well, it all felt very “A24 woulda done this better, but this is solid”.

I appreciated how different and random it was, especially for a major Hollywood company like Searchlight and I enjoyed it and had fun with it. Nicholas Hoult & particularly Hong Chau providing the excellent comedic relief. Whilst both Anya & Ralph doing what they do best and giving us fantastic performances in the more serious parts.

It’s an odd one to me. I didn’t love it, but I definitely didn’t dislike or hate it. It gave me Midsommar but done and executed in the style of The Triangle of Sadness (odd IK but hopefully people will get what I mean aha)

Maybe one of those I need to watch again, and I would, quite happily, but yeah this didn’t feel as sincere as it would have been if done by A24 imo and feels like a carbon copy of something they would succeed at, really well.

----

TRIANGLE OF SADNESS

[UK Release Date: 28th OCTOBER]

Very much a "liked it but didn't love it" movie for me. I don't think I've ever been so in and out of a film before lmao. It's bonkers but not overly so.

When I liked it, I REALLY liked it. But when it lost me, I felt a bit "ehhhhh", but then it'd bring me back around... (especially the 3rd section) my favourite bit is the bit that EVERYONE will be talking about. SO funny.

A lot of the scenes were drawn out and lasted longer than they should have done. Like the cabin on the ship scene, the 3rd act felt like that too.

I felt like the social commentary message started off well but then got to a "yeah, OK we get it" point. Maybe it just wasn't my thing, but then again I didn't dislike any of it... I just think it could have shaved off 20-30 mins.

However, majority of the satire comedy and humour actually landed and I really liked the 2 leads. Harris Dickinson and Charlbi Dean Kriek had a very charming spark when together.

Hard one to rate. So I'll go 3 and a half, coz I liked more of it than I disliked it and I do think I'll remember this film fondly in the future.

----

BARBARIAN

[UK Release Date: 28th OCTOBER]

This was NOT what I expected. Just when you think it's one thing, it's subverted and completely turns into something else.

It's a very unique spin on modern horror storytelling, it works to it's favour. Taken me a while to digest and process (which I am still doing! Ngl!) what it was due to expecting it to be something pretty different.

Very good, if a bit slow at times, and it's hella creepy! But yeah although it wasn't quite what I expected, it was still really interesting and very good.

Maybe on a rewatch it will make a bit more sense to me now that I know what to expect.

----

CHIP 'N DALE: RESCUE RANGERS
Score out of 5: ★★★★

RELEASE THE BATMAN VS E.T. CUT!!!!!!!

This is a very pleasant and extremely fun surprise. The meta-humour in this is top notch. The story was highly entertaining and held my interest all throughout. Just so many things to take away from it (Batman vs E.T., "Meryl Streep as Mr. Doubtfire", Seth Rogen's animation characters, the Cats reference as well as the many, many Disney characters (obvz)... but I think the ultimate highlight was Ugly Sonic. Incredible.

All of the inter-promotional crossovers blew my mind lmao. So good.

Just a lot of fun and silliness to revel in. The self-awareness, meta-humour and mocking of a CGI in the past was excellent.

Had a blast and some genuine LOL moments.

----

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS

[UK Release Date: 5th MAY]

The thing that lets this down is actually the fact it's called "Multiverse of Madness" and had it been called something else (like idk Doctor Strange: Rise of The Scarlet Witch or even just The Scarlet Witch) and not set up the hype of the multiverse, we would be saving ourselves a lot of "it's good, but a bit disappointing that that's all they did" kinda reactions.

They didn't utilise the multiverse aspect much at all and kinda set the film up to be a lot bigger than it actually was (it should have been up there with No Way Home for example).

However, ignoring that, we finally have a genuinely strong, predominently horror MCU movie. I am really quite surprised at what they got away with for a 12A! It was all the better for it and they definitely did get lucky when Sam Raimi stepped in! Really impressive!

Elizabeth Olsen steals the show (shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who's been closely following the MCU for the past 7 years or so). Xochitl Gomez was an excellent new addition to the MCU too. Excited to see more of her and see where they go with her. The Illuminati cameos is the most effective use of the "multiverse". Which all culminated in an excellent fight scene.

I'm happy with it personally, but I'm definitely expecting "we wanted/expected more" crticisms and tbh, it's a very fair critique. But on the whole, it's a very enjoyable addition to the MCU for me. Especially as it felt like they didn't hold back on the horror (or the gore!!!) elements... as a horror fan AND a huge MCU fan... I was in my BAG with this one tbh!

----

TOP GUN: MAVERICK

[UK Release Date: 25th MAY]

A big improvement on the original. Had so much more going for it and I found the dogfights and action sequences more thrilling, exciting and full of suspense.

The main negative for me was they overused and relied a bit too much on the nostalgia of the original. To begin with it was fine, but then it got a bit overdone with the same characters etc.. and it just took me out of the story a bit. I feel that I won't be too bothered about watching it at home unless I had a good surround sound system and big TV etc.. kinda like the Avatar effect I guess.

Other than that really very good. One of my fave experiences of the X Plus screen at Showcase.

----

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2

[UK Release Date: 1st APRIL]

2 for 2! This one mimicking the games where the 2nd one is actually better than the fun 1st (don't fight me coz I ain't interested!!)

The story is, again, quite thin and generic on the whole (there was also a cringe scene with Robotnik that seemed a bit forced to me) but it's executed really, really well! Loved pretty much all the action scenes and was grinning from ear to ear throughout the entire thing.

The best moments though were the subtle nods to the games like the scene where Sonic is underwater, breathes in an air bubble and then struggles to jump and swim to the surface as if you're actually playing the game. Just little stuff like that makes me appreciate the movie so much more!

The additions of Tails & Knuckles was really great! The first Knuckles vs Sonic is already one of my favourite movie sequences of the year. I loved the meta-Superhero movie references throughout too.

It's such a blast and so much fun. I can't believe how well they've executed these movies, I really can't! Amazing stuff.

Edit: Also, for a 2 hour movie, this was actually well paced. A couple of little bits didn't need to go on for as long as they did, but nothing major.

----

BODIES BODIES BODIES

[UK Release Date: 9th SEPTEMBER]

Really enjoyed this. Love the subtle social commentary to it all and found it to be just really good fun.

I didn't see the twist coming lmao and it was really well executed. The main thing that drags this down is how irritating 90% of the characters are lmao. I do actually kinda get it though and it kinda sells it more somewhat. Also, some scenes were lit just a tad too dark.

Other than the characters being irritating, this was fun and one of the examples I'll use when people ask me what were the good horror movies of the year.

----

FRESH

[UK Release Date: 18th MARCH]

IN. SANE.

One of the most bat-shit-crazy movies I've seen in a while and it's a blast all the more wilder it gets. Sebastian Stan gives a career best performance alongside an incredible Daisy Edgar-Jones.

Really well executed and a really tense atmosphere and message about the horrors of modern-day dating.

Wild.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 12th January 2023, 01:28 PM
Post #33
Group icon
c:

Is Top Gun the one you find overrate but still 4 stars by any chance? teresa.gif If so, I'm not wit you on that one either. I think it was pretty incredible and got a high 4.5 from me. Edge of your seat stuff from the get-go. And I hated the original Top Gun too, much like the original Ghostbusters hahahah!!

Sonic is such a blast as you say! I was expecting it to be even higher for you tbh. This was like an early Avengers movie almost haha.... and there's still loads more characters they need to introduce!! The nostalgia is so strong with this one, lmao.

I also had a lot of fun with See How They Run but saw mainly indifferent reviews which was a shame. Maybe it's because I love Saoirse Ronan so much but I was just so along for the ride and all of the humour was spot-on in my opinion. I probably enjoyed it just as much if not more than Glass Onion yet the reviews for the two films are worlds apart?! *scratches head*

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 13th January 2023, 06:24 PM
Post #34
Group icon

QUOTE(Josh! @ Jan 12 2023, 01:28 PM) *
Is Top Gun the one you find overrate but still 4 stars by any chance? teresa.gif If so, I'm not wit you on that one either. I think it was pretty incredible and got a high 4.5 from me. Edge of your seat stuff from the get-go. And I hated the original Top Gun too, much like the original Ghostbusters hahahah!!

Sonic is such a blast as you say! I was expecting it to be even higher for you tbh. This was like an early Avengers movie almost haha.... and there's still loads more characters they need to introduce!! The nostalgia is so strong with this one, lmao.

I also had a lot of fun with See How They Run but saw mainly indifferent reviews which was a shame. Maybe it's because I love Saoirse Ronan so much but I was just so along for the ride and all of the humour was spot-on in my opinion. I probably enjoyed it just as much if not more than Glass Onion yet the reviews for the two films are worlds apart?! *scratches head*
Yeah it was laugh.gif I enjoyed it, but it's so cheesy and corny and it relied more on the nostalgic factor than it should have imo. It wa sjust a bit much by the time the film had finished and nostalgia (at least to me) is so much more special when it's not overused. Looooved the new crew though! Miles & Glenn especially.

I thought it'd be higher than it eventually ended up being, but that's coz I don't usually give this many 4 stars out, I don't think.

Yeah I was kinda annoyed that the reviews for SHTR were a bit meh. It's fun! Generic, but fun and as you said Saoirse is always amaze!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 13th January 2023, 07:18 PM
Post #35
Group icon

DO REVENGE

[UK Release Date: 16th SEPTEMBER]

Didn't even realise this was a thing until I saw a tweet last night that Sarah Michelle Gellar was in this and then saw some more tweets today that it was actually getting decent reviews.

So I went in blind, pretty much. It was a BLAST! Just so much fun from start to finish, a cast that seemed to have genuine chemistry (Camila Mendes is an absolute STAR!), stellar cameo casting too (both SMG AND Sophie Turner?!?! Helloooooo!??) and a twist that was very well placed and executed.

I feel like "oMg iTs tHe NeW MeAn GirLs!!!" gets thrown around a fair bit and then they almost always fall flat... I really think this could be the one that's actually deserving of that moniker tbh.

With my brains and your... blank slate

Camp, hilarious, quoteable and fun. Sometimes that's ALL you need. A very pleasant surprise!

----

THE MENU

[UK Release Date: N/A (Apparently getting a UK theatrical release in March 2023 though - 8-9 months after the US lmao... WTF?!]

Another great addition to the X franchise. Mia Goth has given us the annual female horror movie performance with this turn. Great stuff by her.

I love that Ti clearly has a vision for this franchise and it's what makes this all work. It doesn't come off as forced or ingenuine & it doesn't feel like a "cash grab". He has a plan and it has so far paid off very well for him.

It lost me a tad with one too many overlong monologue sequences (as powerful as they ended up being) but overall it was sharply executed and the gruesome deaths weren't just for shock value. I loved seeing Pearl spiral and loved seeing how long it'd take for her to switch. It was incredibly effective in the final killing scene as that was really terrifying!

----

THE INNOCENTS

An arthouse horror movie that doesn't pretend it's anything more than what it is and it was all the better for it.

The journey we go on with the lead kid, wasn't expecting that after she starts the movie being so cruel and horrible lol. That cat bit was horrendous. The main boy is one of the most evil pos I've witnessed onscreen for a long time.

A slowburn, arthouse drama-horror that utilises the time it has incredibly well. Really tense and those scenes where it looks like it's from Stranger Things... whew.

So glad I saw this! Would recommend to the right people, for sure. Really good!

----

THE SADNESS

[UK Release Date: 12th MAY]

This was INSANE! I really wasn’t expecting it to be as crazy as this lmao! It loses it’s way towards the end where the tone just completely shifts from how absurd and it the rest of the movie is, as it tries to be as human as possible and turn the story into something depressing and making it something it didn’t need to be.

Embrace the madness. Embrace the chaos. We don’t need to humanise every story! Especially the ones where you just f*** shit up for the first 85 mins of the movie. It should have ended as chaotic as the movie itself was!

But yeah. Very welcome surprise! I had so much fun!

----

THE BLACK PHONE

[UK Release Date: 22nd JUNE]

Very good! This may go down as the biggest surprise of the year for me. I expected it to be decent at best but it managed to exceed those expectations.

Really creepy, eerie and sinister. "The Grabber" (simple but very effective name!!!) Is a chilling antagonist! Reminded me of IT (remake) and Doctor Sleep a lot. The jump scares were really well executed and the best thing? They weren't overdone!!!!

Very good performances all round. I found it a bit too slow at times but other than that, I highly recommend to horror fans.

----

[color=#008080]THE WOMAN KING

[UK Release Date: 4th OCTOBER]

This will be one of the front runners for awards season. Great performances, fight sequences, directing... surprisingly though, I wasn't all that bothered by the bland cinematography, which really surprised me.

Thuso Mbedu stole the show for me with Lashana Lynch but everyone played their parts exceptionally. It started plodding at various points for me, but it didn't take too long for it to captivate me again though.

Pleased with how this turned out.

----

BONES AND ALL

[UK Release Date: 23rd NOVEMBER]

One of the most ambitious movies of the year. When you think someone is going to make a “love story involving Cannibals” you’d probably be forgiven for thinking it’d be a cannibal version of Warm Bodies or something.

But Luca Guadagnino manages to pull off something so beautifully disturbing but somehow keeps the heart of the story at it’s core and actually manages to make the concept of cannibalism disturbing without going overboard and seeing it venture into silly or just laughable territory.

Brilliant performances by Taylor Russell and Timothée Chalamet with a great supporting performance by the ever reliable Mark Rylance who pulls off being creepy so effortlessly. There was a very old school feel to this movie. If you told me it was shot and released in the late 70’s/early 80’s, I’d have believed you.

The main negative for me is that although I was hooked, it was a bit plodding in a few places and could have been tightened a bit more to make it feel a bit more cohesive and not as drawn out. Also, I feel like a couple of moments could have done with a bit more “heart to heart” stories so that a couple of the reveals (or “twists”) paid off and hit in the gut a bit more.

Overall I really liked this. As someone who thought he was OK with gore, this actually succeeded in making me squirm in my chair a little bit and made me feel a bit queasy and really uneasy in parts. It earned it’s 18 rating, for sure! But Luca did a sterling job in balancing the cannibalism out with the story that it never feels like it overshadows or takes away from the main story. It adds and elevates it all somewhat. A concept that on paper shouldn’t work, but does.

----

X

[UK Release Date: 18th MARCH]

Really enjoyed this. The pacing was a tad off, but on the whole I liked it a fair bit! The right amount of creepy and gore I think.

Jenna Ortega is just a massive star! Love that she's become the official "Scream Queen" for this generation. I thought Brittany Snow thrived too! Solid cast all around tbh.

Old people in horror movies weird me out probably more than kids tbh. Especially horny old people!! But that's a tiny part of what makes a good horror movie. Thought it was well directed and loved the 70's feel Ti West gave it (take notes Paul Thomas-Anderson!)

----

PREY

[UK Release Date: 5th AUGUST]

That was awesome! Everything that didn't work with the original, was rectified in this. It was so much more tense and the cinematography was a lot stronger and the script was better and less cheesy. We also got the correct amount of Predator.

Was this "perfect"? No. There were a few odd camera cuts/editing decisions and although solid for the most part, a few bits of CGI was a bit questionable, but apart from that, this was a blast and a lot of fun. Kinda reminded me of Predator (OBVIOUSLY!!!!!) meets The Northman with the Dan Trachtengberg tension and suspense from 10 Cloverfield Lane.

This had no right being as fun or as good as it was. Kinda annoyed it didn't get a cinema release.

----

THE NORTHMAN

[UK Release Date: 15th APRIL]

Going into this I was expecting it to be one of those movies that I would easily lose interest in, become bored and potentially be confused by everything that was going on due to it being Robert Eggers.

But after doing a 7am-1pm shift and 2 movies before this, this actually held my interest throughout and I was really into it. Which kinda surprised me due to not really being a fan of this genre in general either.

But Robert manages to get something unapologetically brutal and (as always) visually stunning out of it - which kept me hooked throughout. The story kinda did lose me a little here and there, but not an awful lot/nowhere near as much as I thought would happen.

Alexander Skarsgård further proves why he is the best Skarsgård (soz not soz) and both Anya Taylor-Joy & Nicole Kidman are excellent (per the norm for them) too.

Kinda reminded me of The Revenant in that, I really loved watching it - and probs will watch it again at some point - but it would suffice just as much if I never saw it again, if that makes sense (which is ok! Btw)

Very good. My fave of Roberts trilogy so far.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 14th January 2023, 11:52 AM
Post #36
Group icon

MARCEL THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON

[UK Release Date: N/A - I believe a UK release is within this or next month though.]

Well, isn’t this just the most charming and beautiful little movie??

So endearing and gorgeous. It’s literally just a big, warm hug in movie form! Adorable. We all now want a pet shell, with shoes on ofc!

Charismatic, endearing, funny and just down right cute!! We will protect Marcel and his family at any cost that we need to!! So sweet!

----

SHE SAID

[UK Release Date: 25th NOVEMBER

Oh this had me hooked! I wasn’t expecting anything more than it being an “Oscar bait-y drama” that has great performances but a messy story structure, but I thought they dealt with this story really well and handled it with great care and respect.

I do think it was slicing in “reconstructions” a bit randomly at times and it almost ruined the flow slightly somewhat, but both Zoe and Carey were great and helped bring it right back around. I didn’t have an issue with the reconstructed scenes themselves, just that they’d just suddenly happen.

Very powerful and empowering drama! Somewhat of a surprise for me.

----

GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY

[UK Release Date: 23rd NOVEMBER]

This was just as fun as the first. It took a while to get going and was a bit slow to get to the actual plot, but once it gets there, it doesn’t lose it’s ground!

Janelle Monáe is absolutely fantastic! I’m so happy she has this kind of role to her name now after so many disappointing movies! She worked so great alongside the rest of the cast, particularly both Ed Norton & Daniel Craig, who really excels at playing Benoit Blanc each and every time. Definitely my favourite Daniel Craig character.

Just like the first ensemble, there is not a single weak link amongst the actors. Kate Hudson & Dave Bautista in particular were both brilliant!

The story is just so fun to watch and see it all unfold, even if you think you know who was responsible and for what etc… the way it gets unraveled makes you forget everything for that moment and you just soak it all in and go for the ride with them.

So much fun but did take it’s time to get to where it needed. I’m a biiiig fan of this franchise. I welcome so many more!

Now can Rian Johnson give us one that stars Florence Pugh, Hailee Steinfeld, Zendaya, Tom Holland, Daniel Kaluuya, Keke Palmer, Timothée Chalamet & Saorise Ronan plz? That would be a LOT of fun!

----

BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER

[UK Release Date: 11th NOVEMBER]

I really loved what they did with this... for the most part. It was more or less handled with the grace, maturity and emotion I completely expected.

The only thing that majorly lets this down for me is... shock horror... the length. It really could've been cut by a good 30 mins and this should've been a special "director's cut" that they released on special edition blu-ray as an extra or something.

The length of a movie does not determine whether a movie is a masterpiece. I wish Hollywood (specifically Superhero movies) would realise this. I genuinely think had this been no more than a 2 hour & 10 mins (MAX!) affair, this would be one of my favourite MCU movies. But it's padded out with a lot of filler (some is fine ofc - we need breathers) that it weighs a lot of the experience down, at least for me.

I loved everyone in this, particularly Namor. I loved his backstory and how "human" they made him feel through most of it. Expecting big things for Tenoch! Riri Williams was a great addition too. That shot of Shuri, Okoye & Riri during the big chase scene was so good! But Angela Bassett... ANGELA. BASSETT. Amazing woman.

Ultimately, apart from the length of it (unfortunately it's quite a big "flaw" for it) it's fantastic! I am so pleased with it. I'll add it to my MCU ranking in a few days after it's "sat" with me for a bit, but it's probs top 10 MCU for me. But I'll think about that some other time!

---

*2nd REVIEW*

I just love Namor so much. Really excited to see if they use him more in other movies, whether it’s his own film (damn you Universal… for now!!) or somehow cameos in another movie!

----

GUILLERMO DEL TORO'S: PINOCCHIO

[UK Release Date: 25th NOVEMBER]

Wanted to watch this, but had no real expectation for it, despite the insane reviews. This was excellent. Such a well made movie that hit every beat it needed to.

Ngl, stop motion is an art I will ALWAYS appreciate but don’t seem to love anywhere near as much as I appreciate it. Just something about a lot of stop motion movies that just feel dry to me (it’s hard to explain)

But I found this really heart warming and a beautifully made movie that was told in such a gorgeous way. I do have similar qualms in places (some of it felt dry and a bit boring to me and it didn’t take long for Pinocchio voice to grate on me.

Other than that, I really liked this a lot.

----

SCREAM

[UK Release Date: 14th JANUARY]

FUCK. YEAH!!!

I've been wanting an all out, unapologetic slasher for years now. Been getting tired and bored of the "slow burn" critic darlings and the supernatural, paranormal stuff. I've really missed them.

The gore has been given a big level up, but it's not overly so that it's ridiculous (i.e. Saw levels for example). There is a nice underlying twist to the story that I wasn't expecting and it was executed well and it carries the story quite naturally and doesn't seem as forced as you'd think if you were told about it.

My main criticism is that (and this is just the problem with most things now tbh - so it's not really so much a fault of the movie itself) the killers, NO MATTER WHO THEY TURN OUT TO BE, will be deemed as pretty obvious (not necessarily to it's detriment in this) and you always feel a bit "ok.." but then I guess it becomes more about how they handle the reveal and the final act - to which this handles well and for the first time in a while, you really fear the worst for the original trio.

Unashamedly and unapologetically meta, fun gore-fest that pays a naturally great homage to the original Scream movie. It's just so good to be back in Woodsboro!

I love this franchise so much.

---

*2nd REVIEW*

This holds up just as well on a rewatch! Really pleased with how this has turned out and it actually being a big success for them. The meta humour just delivers every time.

Jenna Ortega is absolutely fantastic! The highlight of the film for me. That entire scene in the hospital is so tense to watch. She owns it. I think she has all the makings to be the "Scream Queen" for this generation.

I'm just so thankful that this delivered. In just about every way!

Richie said it best

"The fans win this time..."

Yes. Yes we do.

----

THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN
Score out of 5: ★★★★1/2

[UK Release Date: 21st OCTOBER]

This was fantastic. It was so beautifully bleak and absolutely charming.

Colin Farrell further proves why he is one of the most under appreciated actors out there. Such a likeable, charming and extremely funny lead. His chemistry with everyone was fantastic, particularly with Brendan Gleeson (as ever with those 2). Kerry Condon was brilliant too. Barry Keoghan is in the role of his career so far with this one. He was particularly excellent and is really delivering on his early promise of being one of the top young stars of this generation.

The humour was sharp, quick and witty. Not a single one of them was off point. The cast had perfect chemistry with each other. The directing, Irish landscapes, cinematography... everything was so wonderfully executed.

Why is it not a 5? Well......... Brendan Gleeson was EXCELLENT in his role - truly, he was! - but his character was horrendously cruel right off the bat and it's a bit "wtf?" but maybe that was intentional to throw us behind Pádriac right from the get go, idk???

Also, I feel there is a lot of underlying mental health conversations in this. Especially for the era it was set. It must have been so hard to be dealing with that stuff with no resources or anybody really knowing how to handle stuff like that at that time etc..

But yeah, straight into my top 5 of the year. LOVED it. Full of charm and personality and I really hope Colin finally gets the awards love and buzz he deserves!

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 14th January 2023, 07:59 PM
Post #37
Group icon
c:

Marcell the Shell will be in 2023 when it finally gets a UK release (so soon after allllll this time!!). Got me even more hyped seeing how high it is for you. I think I'm going to LOVE it.

No MCU No1 for you then this year (I think we might be matchy matchy on that aspect which is unusual for us, ey).

I'm the same with you on GDT's Pinocchio like I thought it looked good and was expecting to be somewhat impressed by it but I was properly WOWed. It just took me by storm and I was so utterly charmed behind it. That man really is a genius of his own craft. Hopefully it has animated feature wrapped up this year.

Intrigued to see what makes up the top three ohmy.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 15th January 2023, 11:13 AM
Post #38
Group icon

EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE
Score out of 5: ★★★★1/2

[UK Release Date: 13th MAY]

That was IN. SANE.

It's so much to take in on just a single watch and honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if I bumped this up to a 5 on more watches. So clever, funny, intriguing, confusing, emotional & really thought provoking and it will really trigger your "What if..." curiosity to peak levels.

Extremely well paced for how many ideas that are executed in here and it's kind of a mess at some points, but it's actually to it's advantage.

Can't wait to see it again. Will definitely check it out at least one more time on the big screen before it leaves the cinemas.

I'll probably be able to do a better write-up too lmao.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 15th January 2023, 11:21 AM
Post #39
Group icon

FLEE
Score out of 5: ★★★★★

[UK Release Date: 11th FEBRUARY]

So rich, tender, delicately powerful and impactful in more ways than you think you will know.

The story is powerful but it's approached in such a stunning & tender way that it's really enhanced by the beautiful animation and I think it's documentary-lite style really worked in it's favour, much more than it just being an animation about a refugee fleeing their country etc..

The documentary style really helps you connect with Amin on a much more personal level and it really sucks you into his story and helps you empathise & sympathise with him a lot easier.

The mix of real-life footage and the animation was done really well and drives home that this is an actual true story and not just "inspired by" or "based on".

The story will open your eyes that much more and it will hit hard in the appropriate places, but it's captured in such a beautiful and heart warming way that you come out of this feeling hopeful and happy that Amin is at the place he's currently at in his life.

---

*2nd REVIEW*

Second time seeing this but first time watching it Dubbed. Riz Ahmed & Nikolaj Coster-Waldau did a sterling job as the voices.

Such a powerful, honest & raw documentary - it doesn't even fade on 2nd viewing. Still hits as hard as it should. This should have been a Best Picture nominee (at least - woulda been my choice to win). Especially over a couple of the more questionable noms we ended up getting. 10 noms this year and they still did an Animation dirty.

I can't recommend this enough. As I said in my previous review, I think it was such a smart choice telling his story through animation as opposed to just seeing him sit (anonymously) and talking to a camera, as it helps you understand the situations more, making him more vulnerable and available to connect with a lot easier. Not only that but the animation is absolutely stunning and not some generic animation.

Very tempted to up to a 5 tbh. I (personally) can't fault it....

Edit: I did x

+Quote this post
Jade
post 15th January 2023, 11:25 AM
Post #40
Group icon
I wanna keep all of your charm in a canister
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Very pleased to see She Said as high as top 10 for you wub.gif I agree that the two leads were brilliant and the story-telling was powerful and well-handled.

Everything Everywhere All At Once was my favourite of last year (I do have a much smaller comparison pool though kink.gif) so of course pleased to see that smashing in your top 3, also. Did you end up checking it out on the big screen again as per the commentary? tongue.gif

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 08:28 PM