BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Taftys Movies of 2022 • COUNTDOWN, COMPLETE. 87 movies. One year. 2022.
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post 15th January 2023, 11:28 AM
Post #41
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

QUOTE(Josh! @ Jan 14 2023, 07:59 PM) *
Marcell the Shell will be in 2023 when it finally gets a UK release (so soon after allllll this time!!). Got me even more hyped seeing how high it is for you. I think I'm going to LOVE it.

No MCU No1 for you then this year (I think we might be matchy matchy on that aspect which is unusual for us, ey).

I'm the same with you on GDT's Pinocchio like I thought it looked good and was expecting to be somewhat impressed by it but I was properly WOWed. It just took me by storm and I was so utterly charmed behind it. That man really is a genius of his own craft. Hopefully it has animated feature wrapped up this year.

Intrigued to see what makes up the top three ohmy.gif
Yeah. I jumped the gun with Marcell, but I told myself that we were never gonna get it so found other ways to do so before I did my list. It's such a cute film!

Nope, not this year and it's odd feeling how I feel about Black Panther but "only" having it 7th!

I think animation is GDT's to lose this year tbh. Would be surprised if anything else beat him. Deserved win though.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 15th January 2023, 11:34 AM
Post #42
Group icon

QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 15 2023, 11:25 AM) *
Very pleased to see She Said as high as top 10 for you wub.gif I agree that the two leads were brilliant and the story-telling was powerful and well-handled.

Everything Everywhere All At Once was my favourite of last year (I do have a much smaller comparison pool though kink.gif) so of course pleased to see that smashing in your top 3, also. Did you end up checking it out on the big screen again as per the commentary? tongue.gif
I was surprised by how invested I was with 'She Said'! Like I said, those kinda movies end up being "Oscar bait" and fillery. But not with this one. Liked it a lot.

I did end up seeing it again on the big screen. Really enjoyed it again and it held up well on a repeat viewing. It's definitely that and Top Gun: Maverick that "define" 2022 cinema imo. Like, when people think of cinema in 2022, this and TG will be the first 2 people think of. Great film with great performances. Was very pleased for both Michelle and Ke Huy at the Golden Globes wub.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 15th January 2023, 11:37 AM
Post #43
Group icon

NOPE
Score out of 5: ★★★★★

[UK Release Date: 12th AUGUST]

From the opening right the way through to the thrilling final act, I was HOOKED. Really impressed that it didn't lose it's way much at all and STILL managed to give us the pay off it did.

It was incredibly suspenseful and tense, which had a very old school/timeless classic feel to it, right from the very start and I feel it was perfectly paced and the characters were really likeable and easy to root for.

That final act was insane. Everyone excelled in their roles and we must, must, MUST protect Keke Palmer at all costs! The cinematography and score were amazing.

Jordan Peele is now 3 for 3!

Excellent!

---

*2nd REVIEW*

Upped it.

And just like all of Jordan's movies... this is somehow better on rewatch. My favourite movie of the year so far. The right amount of suspense, thrill and horror.

Rewarded on a rewatch by noticing tidbits you may have missed beforehand, like the Gordy scene and the 3 cameras looking like 3 alien heads etc..

I love the dynamic and chemistry of the core 3 so much!

Brilliant stuff.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 15th January 2023, 12:23 PM
Post #44
Group icon

FULL 2022 LIST:

01. NOPE
02. FLEE
03. Everything Everywhere All At Once
04. The Banshees of Inisherin
05. Scream
06. Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
07. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
08. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
09. She Said
10. Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
---
11. The Northman
12. Prey
13. X
14. Bones and All
15. The Woman King
16. The Black Phone
17. The Sadness
18. The Innocents
19. Pearl
20. Do Revenge
---
21. Fresh
22. Bodies Bodies Bodies
23. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
24. Top Gun: Maverick
25. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
26. Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
27. Barbarian
28. Triangle of Sadness
29. The Menu
30. See How They Run
---
31. The Batman
32. The Gray Man
33. Fire Island
34. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
35. Belfast
36. Lightyear
37. Terrifier 2
38. Don't Make Me Go
39. The Fallout
40. Thor: Love and Thunder
---
41. Violent Night
42. Jackass Forever
43. Jackass 4.5
44. Good Luck to You, Leo Grande
45. Spirited
46. Aftersun
47. Minions: The Rise of Gru
48. Bullet Train
49. The Lost City
50. Roald Dahl's Matilda the Musical
---
51. Strange World
52. The Bad Guys
53. Sing 2
54. Piggy
55. Decision to Leave *Saw this whilst counting my list down*
56. Swan Song
57. Skinamarink
58. The House
59. Turning Red
60. Avatar: The Way of Water
---
61. Bros
62. Elvis
63. Operation Mincemeat
64. The Adam Project
65. The Lost Daughter
66. Parallel Mothers
67. Hocus Pocus 2
68. Smile
69. Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance With Somebody
70. Uncharted
---
71. Nightmare Alley
72. Don't Worry Darling
73. DC League of Super-Pets
74. The Wonder
75. Jurassic World Dominion
76. Disenchanted
77. The Eyes of Tammy Faye
78. Ambulance
79. Black Adam
80. Amsterdam
---
81. The Tragedy of Macbeth
82. Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore
83. Licorice Pizza
84. Orphan: First Kill
85. Halloween Ends
86. We're All Going to the World's Fair
87. MEN
88. Morbius

+Quote this post
Herbs
post 15th January 2023, 03:39 PM
Post #45
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 214

Love that you put Black Phone & Flee so high

Black Phone was a great addition to that genre and I thought the lead performances were sensational

Flee is the sort of story that needs to be heard

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 16th January 2023, 10:46 AM
Post #46
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

Can't believe Nope at number one!! We definitely have different opinions on that, lol. It was technically impressive in places but none more so than something like Dune which I wasn't a massive fan of either. Keke Palmer and her performance was the only thing I really loved about that movie. And then I felt like the finale where the monster unfurls(?) just looked really silly. I was left feeling so disappointed after being a big fan of Us and Get Out.

Gorgeous to see some major love for Flee though. I wish more people had seen that. It was such an interesting medium to use to create a documentary and yet still managed to evoke such a huge reaction in me. I've not watched the dubbed version but maybe if I can face a re-watch in a few years, I might try that too to see how it compares. Such a heart-wrenching story, ugh.

Loved your countdown and write-ups Jonjo !!

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 20th January 2023, 12:39 PM
Post #47
Group icon

QUOTE(Herbs @ Jan 15 2023, 03:39 PM) *
Love that you put Black Phone & Flee so high

Black Phone was a great addition to that genre and I thought the lead performances were sensational

Flee is the sort of story that needs to be heard
'Black Phone' was a huge surprise to me! I wasn't really expecting anything from it but was really enamoured by it. Especially Ethan Hawke's chilling performance!

Agreed on 'Flee'!

Thank you for commenting and following along, I really appreciate it wub.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 20th January 2023, 12:54 PM
Post #48
Group icon

QUOTE(Josh! @ Jan 16 2023, 10:46 AM) *
Can't believe Nope at number one!! We definitely have different opinions on that, lol. It was technically impressive in places but none more so than something like Dune which I wasn't a massive fan of either. Keke Palmer and her performance was the only thing I really loved about that movie. And then I felt like the finale where the monster unfurls(?) just looked really silly. I was left feeling so disappointed after being a big fan of Us and Get Out.

Gorgeous to see some major love for Flee though. I wish more people had seen that. It was such an interesting medium to use to create a documentary and yet still managed to evoke such a huge reaction in me. I've not watched the dubbed version but maybe if I can face a re-watch in a few years, I might try that too to see how it compares. Such a heart-wrenching story, ugh.

Loved your countdown and write-ups Jonjo !!
Aha! It's OK. I love that we differ so much on a couple of things and so it's cool! But yeah, 'NOPE' is actually my favourite of the Peele trilogy! I actually think he's gotten better with each release. I loved the performance by the core 3 so much and thought they all bounced off of each other perfectly!

'FLEE' really impacted me and I wasn't expecting to be so enamoured with it, but I loved it's approach by telling us the story through animation. I feel it really helped the imagination more and make you SEE just how tough and hard it was. Just so eye-opening!

Thank you so much for commenting and following, Josh! I love seeing and reading your thoughts not only on here, but Letterboxd too! heart.gif

+Quote this post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 07:37 PM