BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jordan Lee’s official favourite Girls Aloud album countdown, Guess my favourite!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jordanlee
post Apr 23 2020, 01:53 PM
Post #1
Jord
Group: Members
Member No.: 27,116

As seen in the Britney forum where I counted down my favourite albums from least favourite to favourite im now doing a Girls Aloud one.

Counting down on what my favourite album is by the girls!

Aiming to begin actually counting down on Monday or Tuesday next week.

Guess away on what you think my fave / least fave may be.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post Apr 23 2020, 02:03 PM
Post #2
I feel so seen in the night
Group: Buzzjack's Sweetheart
Member No.: 12,810

'Tangled Up' to win wub.gif

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 23 2020, 03:34 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 845
   No Gallery Pics

Tangled up to win for me aswell but i also really enjoy out of control, chemistry is the only album i dont listen to.

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Apr 24 2020, 07:40 PM
Post #4
Jord

Literally LOVING life discovering and rediscovering so many hidden gems.

Aiming to reveal my least favourite album by them on Monday.

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Apr 24 2020, 11:51 PM
Post #5
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

Hype!

Tangled Up ftw heart.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post Apr 25 2020, 09:58 AM
Post #6
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Also hoping to see Tangled Up on top *.*

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post Apr 25 2020, 02:24 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jordan Lee @ Apr 24 2020, 08:40 PM) *
Literally LOVING life discovering and rediscovering so many hidden gems.

Aiming to reveal my least favourite album by them on Monday.

Ideally its chemistry but sense it wont.

+Quote Post
pippa
post Apr 28 2020, 02:53 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 14,031
   No Gallery Pics

Tangled Up remains their best collective album.

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Apr 28 2020, 02:55 PM
Post #9
Jord

Oops I’m a bit late with this but it’s still happening this week at some point!

It’s a lot harder then the Britney one I did huh.gif

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Apr 28 2020, 06:14 PM
Post #10
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

Excited to follow this!!

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Apr 30 2020, 01:18 PM
Post #11
Jord

At around 3pm tomorrow I’ll be revealing my least favourite album by them!

Guess away on what you think is 5th place.

I’m writing my reviews up now doing them track by track!

Really been great hearing them all over again wub.gif

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post May 1 2020, 04:06 PM
Post #12
Jord

5TH PLACE - WHAT WILL THE NEIGHBOURS SAY (rate 5.5/10)

So my least favourite album by them was their second studio album and a Xenomania production based record. The album went platinum x2 and is their second highest selling studio album they’d release (at the time
It come out it was the biggest however) I can imagine there was high demand for this after how their debut did.

The album kicks off with the lead of this era The Show. For me it’s not one of their strongest singles but the video was always killer.

Classic Love Machine follows and a song what for me took a while for me to fully love its one of those what I guess you could call a guilty pleasure.

Their best cover release I’ll Stand By You which was the albums only #1 single follows and offers the first ballad of the album weirdly this is my favourite single from this era I know it’s a cover version of ballad but the lyrics are quite meaningful and even though it’s dated I really hold this song close to my heart for some reason and whilst most of their covers are a bit “I could do without that” (similar to Britney) this is the exception.

Another cover in form Jump follows and brings back the albums pace into being more uptempo. Wake Me Up another more forgettable single is the next track and to be honest it still doesn’t do much for me definitely amongst their weaker singles.

Overall tbh the singles from this era are what I’d call mid-bottom tier singles from them.

However as we move onto the album tracks Deadlines and Diets is another ballad. Quite a good one but they’ve definitely done better of these styles of tracks later in their career. Big Brother is dated and in ways described the show “Big Brothers watching me” a definite album track although praise to Cheryl and Nicola who carry the song. Hear Me Out is another track what’s pretty “album track like”.
Graffiti My Soul is the first album track I’m really wowed by. This is catchy and sort of similar to Love Machine production wise in places but more modern sounding. It’s definitely an interesting track shows off a lot of personality. Real Life is another good album track. Here We Go is a bit meh though Cheryls “I don’t do sex but I do do second base” line.

Thank Me Daddy again isn’t one I’m wowed by and just screams album track filler for me. Nicola solo track I Say A Prayer For You is a great moment though and really shows off her vocals and is actually amongst the better album tracks tbh. When I seen the tracklist I wrongly thought this was another cover so happy that wasn’t the case. Album closer 100 Different Ways which is a Nadine solo. This is something what to me actually could’ve been a single! Can imagine all the girls performing this dressed in black on some
00s tv show or children in need or something a good closer.

Overall for me I wasn’t wowed by much on this. Graffiti My Soui is by far the best album track. But I weirdly feel their debut had more spark than what this does and it’s got quite a few forgettable moments on there too. Not their best. Not terrible by any means though just by their standards it lacks a certain punch. The fact two of the three best album tracks for me have just one member singing show for some reason there’s just something about this album what feels either rushed or like they were finding their feet to something. Hard to put my finger on but yeah this album didn’t blow me away.

Uk peak #6 (85k sold week 1!) (highest new entry of that week).
Weeks top 40: 8

+Quote Post
Padamic Tension
post May 2 2020, 12:21 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Idol
   No Gallery Pics

I think love machine should have been the lead single for the album and the album may have possibly had even higher opening sales to to have went top 5. It's a good album and it set their sound more so than their debut for future releases.

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post May 2 2020, 04:13 PM
Post #14
Jord

4TH PLACE - SOUND OF THE UNDERGROUND (Rate 7/10)

The Girls debut album. Recorded after their triumphant win the album was released in the lead up to 2003s summer months. Debuting at #2 on the albums chart (where another debut album was at #1 Justin Timberlakes Justified). I’m however listening to the reissued version as that’s the one I have.

The album is a fun pop album. It contains several hit singles from the title track and their first #1 Sound Of The Underground, and top 3 hits No Good Advice and Life Got Cold, and their cover of Jump. All of the singles begin this album so from track 5 onwards everything was like listening with fresh ears.

Some Kind Of Miracle is a mid tempo easy listen what’s kind of mature for a debut album although I can see why it wasn’t a single. All I Need is very much album track material and doesn’t add too much to the album although the production on it is reminiscent in places of debut era Xtina / P!nk it’s amongst the low points of the album lyrically.

Mars Attack is a good track and sort of feels like it fits an interlude on tour between costume changes it lacks that pow but is quite interesting.
You Freak Me Out is a return to form though and is probably something what could’ve been a single it also is a track where I clearly hear Nicola shine on her voice is very distinctive on this one. This is something what sounds like something debut era Avril could’ve had a hit with while still having a classic Girls Aloud feel to it.

Girls Allowed has a club feel to it! And also is something what could’ve worked as a single. “If you want it come and get it” it’s kinda like an early version of Selenas Come and Get It. This is something what also feels like a huge club hit and I could kind of imagine that being a fan favourite from the album tracks on that era.

Forever and a night changes the albums pace and offers a mellow moment. It’s a girl band ballad not one of their better ones but one what shows off their vocals and harmonising more than perhaps anything on the album. Cheryl actually shines on this track the most!

Love/hate is a forgettable moment on the album and a track what probably isn’t needed. Boogie Down Love brings back the spark however. Another Cheryl / Nicola shining moment. This is one of the more funky moments on the album perhaps one what I could see being polarising but for me it’s one of the stronger album tracks.

Stop is another one of the “filler” like tracks for me. White Lies however is a better track and again gives Cheryl another chance to shine this is one of the more mature sounding tracks and would’ve perhaps been a great closer for me.

The cover of Girls on Film which is the album closer however isn’t really needed and definitely not as an album closer either! It’s not a terrible cover but given there’s already a cover on this and a better one in the form of jump I’d have just left it off.

Overall for a debut album by a girl group it’s pretty strong. No obvious bad tracks on here. The album tracks are solid too but the single are the highlights on this. But it shows great promise and for the time it was released it doesn’t sound too old either! It’s vibrant enough to show personality and Cheryl and Nicola really had their moments too on certain albums.

I’m also low key surprised this is their lowest seller from their studio albums! Although it does suggest their fan base grew to a larger scale after this era like Little Mix I always felt GA had a huge debut era for some reason idk why!

UK peak #2 (37K week 1)
Weeks in top 40 - 7

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post May 3 2020, 08:42 PM
Post #15
Jord

3RD PLACE - CHEMISTRY (Score 7.5/10)

The Girls third studio album and the only studio album they’d release what would miss the top 10! An album what also has a theme of A List life and celebrity life. It’s also their only album what has an intro what actually works well tbh.

First full length track Models is a bit of a bop and definitely something what would’ve worked a single. It’s different sounding and actually kinda sounds fresh to be honest a great way to start the album.

Biology follows and remains a classic! The unusual structure makes the song tbh and it still sounds as good now as it did then, again it’s not really something to me what sounds dated!

Wild Horses follows and the intro Is interesting to say the least. I can see this being polarising I kinda like it in places though it’s sort of like a better version of Gentleman by The Saturdays. Definitely works as an album track though but it has a lot of personality.

See The Day shows the first slow moment of the album. It’s kinda better than I remembered it being it’s Christmassy sounding and a good vocal point but it’s probably got the least personality on the album. I’d say as far as their covers go this is one of their better ones though.

Watch Me Go uses the times a lot and is quite a jarring listen. Cheryls middle 8 is quite good and the final verse / chorus is good but overall it’s quite messy and not amongst the highlights.

Waiting is a better track. Quite summery sounding and potential end of campaign single vibes I got from first listening to this. It’s a solid track. Whole Lotta History follows on and remains a great single choice for me I think it’s one of their most underrated tracks and if they come back with something like this if they made a comeback I’d love it! Definitely one of their more mature moments.

Long Hot Summer follows and sounds great! Always used to be my least fave track by them yet now I love it and given it’s sunny outside as I listened it just added to my mood.

Swinging London Town is a interesting first listen! It’s like Timabands The Way I Are mixed with Madonna’s I Love New York. I kinda really like it actually it’s different sounding and fits the theme of the albums earlier tracks of celeb lifestyle. I’d say it could be oddly placed on the album but it’s a interesting number.

Both Its Magic and No regrets were a bit of a lull. Not the most interesting tracks and both kinda passed me by. I’d say they were the filler like moments but Racy Lacey at least ends the album on a high point.

Overall I’d say at the point they were in their career this was the strongest album they’d put out at that point. It’s interesting loosely follows a theme and doesn’t have usual song structures too! A lot of personality too. Bravo it definitely deserved a top ten peak! At least it went platinum though.

Uk peak: 11 (highest new entry that week)
81K sold week one
Weeks top 40: 5

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post May 4 2020, 05:54 AM
Post #16
Jord

Tangled Up Vs Out Of Control!

Revealing my winner today after I’ve been on my daily exercise.

Any thoughts on my rankings so far? Agreements / Disagreements thoughts on the first 3 albums? etc laugh.gif

+Quote Post
-Jay-
post May 4 2020, 09:04 AM
Post #17
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

A bit surprised by the last place and low score for Neighbours! sad.gif I feel like that was their first album where they really demonstrated what they were about as a group. Here We Go is one of their best early career bops, a shame you weren’t feeling it! I love Real Life, interestingly at the time that was one of the more underrated album tracks. Everyone was raving about Graffiti My Soul (understandably so!) and Deadlines & Diets (which I like but I’ve never loved).

SOTU has some great moments for sure, it’s a good & underrated album. There’s a handful of tracks which don’t feel very “them”, but it’s understandable considering they were finding their feet as a group back then. Girls Allowed was my favourite album track & You Freak Me Out is a guilty pleasure bop! Sound of the Underground felt like a big era to me at the time even though the album sales were a tad lacklustre! A singles run of 1-2-3-2 and their constant promotion made it feel like a big era. Although funnily enough their label weren’t satisfied and they risked being dropped... Jump & the decent sales of the SOTU re-release saved them! Feels crazy that three Top 3 singles and a #2 album left them on thin ice!

Chemistry is a fantastic album! Waiting is my favourite album track & I loved that they randomly included it on their Out of Control tour! I’ve always been a bit 👀 at See the Day placed between Wild Horses and Watch Me Go, really strange sequencing! Also agree that Swinging London Town after Long Hot Summer is oddly placed. I’ll never quite get over the #11 peak and missing the Top 10 by 200-ish sales. I’m not too keen on the artwork, it’s pretty but bland and doesn’t really reflect the album well. Love the Christmas version artwork though!

Looking forward to your Top 2!

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post May 4 2020, 10:10 AM
Post #18
Jord

Thanks Jay!

Very interesting to hear that they risked being dropped after their debut era! Until I delved into the sales thread on here a few weeks ago I always thought that was their biggest seller before Out Of Control dropped so I was shocked to see it’s their lowest selling studio album! Their debut is actually very underrated though and there’s an element of charm to it as well as it having a lot to it like there’s many styles on it and throwing stuff at them to see what fits. There wasn’t much between that and Chemistry for 3rd place but Chemistry got it as that album has a theme to it what flows well throughout the album and despite some strange tracklisting the personality makes up for it.

Neighbours however was just one of those albums where nothing was terrible but everything was verging on just being “good”. It had the least wow moments of any of their albums for me. Surprised that went on to become their second biggest seller and sold like over 200K more than their debut without getting a re release too!

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post May 4 2020, 11:45 PM
Post #19
Jord

RUNNER UP - TANGLED UP - (Score 9/10)

So I have this album on CD but I can’t remember the last time I heard this in full it was ages ago however I very often see this album discussed on the site in a positive light as many think it’s not just their best album but the best girl group album ever... so here goes my review!

Call The Shots opens this album and already gets the album off to a fantastic start. The mid tempo bop is one of the best tracks they ever did and I can clearly see why it’s amongst their highest sellers singles wise. I’d say this is their most robbed non #1! Genuinely one of the best 00s tracks for me in general.

Close To Love follows. A solid bop tbh with a great instrumental. I can imagine this working well as a tour opener it’s definitely something which I can see potentially being a fan favourite amongst the non singles. I like that the structure is quite different sounding and a bit like it’s more than one song like the verses to the choruses to the middle 8 they don’t necessarily flow yet it works.

Sexy! No No No follows and remains another one of their strongest singles for me! Not a typical pop song but that’s part of its appeal to me. There’s no other girl group who’s he able to pull off a song what sounds like this and it still sounds fairly fresh too definitely doesn’t sound like a 2007 track.

Girl Overboard follows. Another great instrumental here reminiscent of early 00s clubland type house music. It’s definitely strong single potential. Parts of this song kinda remind me of All Fired Up by The Saturdays (or what All Fired Up tried to sound like) I think it’s more the instrumentals are similar.

Can’t Speak French follows and is a real grower for me over the years. At the time of its release I didn’t get it yet now I really do hey it and consider it alongside their best.

Black Jacks is an interesting one. I like parts of the song like the first minute to so then there’s certain parts I’m not keen on. Basically the parts where Nadine along is singing i like but the other members parts kinda mess the song up for me.

Control The Knife is one what doesn’t really give me anything. Not terrible but not amazing either just an average album track maybe it’ll be one what grows on further listens but so far I’d say it’s the weakest track.

Fling is a bop! A really solid track and something what’s catchy it’s perhaps quite marmite sounding but I think it works really well as a trashy bop.

What You Crying For is a solid track! The instrumental is also great on its own. Its a very solid album track. I like the chorus on this a lot.

I’m Falling is a bit filler like tbh. Kinda like a tour interlude type thing where they get changed between songs this is kinda the album equivalent to this. It doesn’t add much to the album.

Damn is another kinda trashy bop but it fits the album. It’s sort of like early Avril sounding in places or a pop Taylor album track I don’t know why I got those from the track but I could picture both singing it. It’s a solid album track though.

Closing track Crocodile Tears is a more mellow
number but one where Cheryl really shines as she sings the entire first part. The chorus is weirdly the weakest part of the song but it’s still a great track. Cheryl slays on this though!

Overall it’s a fantastic pop album with killer album tracks and three of the best singles they ever released. At this point in their career I’d say this was their best album! It’s interesting that this album had lower first week sales than both What Will The Neighbours Say and Chemistry yet managed more weeks top 40 than both those albums combined perhaps showing that they cracked longevity with this release. With 19 weeks top 40 this was their studio album to get the most weeks on the top 40 of the chart.

Uk peak #4 (49k sold week one)
Weeks top 40: 19

WINNER OUT OF CONTROL 10/10

The Promise opens their final studio album (as of 2020) and remains a classic. The Motown like inspired track again shows just how bold and different sounding Girls Aloud were with their single choices. It would also go on to become their final UK #1 single.

The Loving Kind follows and for me this also amongst their all time best and is rather underrated within the fan base. The “standing on a crowded platform” line is one of my favourites.

Rolling Back The Rivers In Time is perhaps my favourite non single they’ve ever done. I was drawn to it way back in 2008 and I still am now so nostalgic. The production on it is lush.

Love Is The Key opens with talky like vocals. It’s rather country esque sounding on a relisten to me. I could kinda see it on Kylies Golden. Another solid bop though usually not very keen on talky like vocals but it sort of works on this track and their personalities make it work.

Turn To Stone is another track what has great production. They all sound good vocally on this too. This is a lot stronger than I initially remembered it to be actually. I can see why it wasn’t a single but I think this is solid.

Untouchable, another top tier single follows. Wrongfully their only non top ten at the time of release yet it feels much more remembered and bigger than a lot of their stuff what peaked higher. Definitely a fan favourite. I’m glad it managed to get single treatment as it is very strong.

Fix Me Up again follows the trend and is another bop. This could’ve actually worked as a single it’s catchy again has great production and a lot of personality.

Love Is Pain follows and sounds rather 80s like. Nicola opens the track and sounds lush throughout. This is one I always appreciated and I think actually sounds better now it’s aged like a fine wine. It really reminds me of another track what I can’t place but it’s definitely solid.

Miss You Bow Wow is the weakest track on the album for me. It’s still good but definitely the weakest track for me. The only thing close to being a “dud” on this for me. The “999 saying need a doctor” line still sticks in my head though.

Revolution In The Head is one I always remember. It’s probably my second favourite album track on this. Hey hey hey oh oh oh so infectious. This really deserved a killer video.

Live In The Country is a solid album track but not one of the major highlights. It’s catchy enough though but probably bottom tier of the album as everything else is super strong.

We Wanna Party the album closer is another bop. Which ends the album on a high note and on a big high this could’ve also had a killer video!

Overall this is definitely still their strongest for me
I feel the way about this as most on here do about Tangled Up. An all killer no filler bang and what an album to be a final album! Very worthy of being their highest selling studio album too as for me it is their best!

Uk Peak #1 (their only UK studio album to go to #1!)
Weeks top 40: 18

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post May 4 2020, 11:51 PM
Post #20
Jord

So that’s my countdown all done and dusted!!

I genuinely think listening back they’re perhaps our best UK girlband. I love some of the bonkers stuff they did what they carried off so well and you could never call them generic despite them being a pop band they always had that different edge thanks to the incredible writing team they had.

I loved that they peaked with their final two releases too so much growth on those records! But every album has something special about it tbh. If only their first two releases were the other way around I’d have been able to say they got better with each album.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:02 AM