BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
16 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Strictly Come Dancing 2017, Launch: 9th September, BBC One
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
ThePensmith
post 23rd September 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #61
Group icon
They've had the very Tunnocks, Mary
User: 13,208

My live blog for this week has started if you want to join people! http://wp.me/p4UO9N-rL
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 23rd September 2017, 08:06 PM
Post #62
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585

Yeah Debbie McGee has completely shocked me *.*

+Quote this post
Hurricane
post 23rd September 2017, 08:15 PM
Post #63
Group icon
get me started, hot like fire
User: 17,262

I'm surprised Alexandra was scored so low (although I do agree that her posture, arms and hands weren't outstanding, but still, too low), but if anything, it's actually a blessing for her. She's gonna come out on top on the later weeks and have this whole "journey" story to her, whereas someone like Aston will have the "peaked too early" storyline.

Surprised Davood was scored so high? It's crazy how much eye-candy can take you far sometimes. Close to none hip action, barely no other Cha Cha content from him, despite what they said. I don't even think I would give it a 23, let alone 27...

Joe's Jive was maybe just so slightly overscored? Like 28 or 27, more like it. But still very enjoyable, so I don't mind that he scored so high.

Mollie's score feels more or less right, but a 4 don't seem right. A 5 would have made more sense. Her arms were definitely all over the top, so I agree with that, but I thought her legs were better than I expected. I understand the attack criticism, but it really wasn't that bad on that side.

Debbie was amazing, probably the dance of the night for me! Maybe I'm biased because of her age, but wow. She killed it, didn't she?!

Charlotte was a bit better than I expected? I can see potential as well, but the score was definitely right.

This post has been edited by Hurricane: 23rd September 2017, 08:25 PM

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post 23rd September 2017, 08:40 PM
Post #64
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308

THE IN HOUSE BAND MAKES ME CRINGEEEEEEE drama.gif it actually takes away from the viewing experience

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 23rd September 2017, 09:50 PM
Post #65
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

QUOTE(#CodyDecides @ Sep 23 2017, 09:40 PM) *
THE IN HOUSE BAND MAKES ME CRINGEEEEEEE drama.gif it actually takes away from the viewing experience

What is it about them that makes you cringe?

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post 23rd September 2017, 10:26 PM
Post #66
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585

QUOTE(Mack. @ Sep 23 2017, 10:50 PM) *
What is it about them that makes you cringe?

Rockin Robin was awful.

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post 23rd September 2017, 11:42 PM
Post #67
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835

I usually like the house band but they sounded off tonight or maybe its a new band/singers?

+Quote this post
LexC
post 24th September 2017, 12:02 AM
Post #68
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

QUOTE(HarryEzra @ Sep 24 2017, 12:42 AM) *
I usually like the house band but they sounded off tonight or maybe its a new band/singers?

The start of the series always has a bit of teething troubles because the shows are so long and there's not as much time to soundcheck but it usually evens out after a few weeks.

Debbie was a pleasant surprise for me (those solo rotations at the start my word!) and I'm here for Aston taking the obvious ringer role so Alexandra can have her journey storyline unimpeded!

The biggest plus of the show for me though was Shirley Ballas and that moment she slapped Darcey down with her foot placement knowledge. Marked improvement on Stuffy old Brexity Len.

+Quote this post
kye
post 24th September 2017, 12:13 AM
Post #69
Group icon
• aesthetic party •
User: 2,169

I loved that Shirley kept calling the contestants babe laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 24th September 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #70
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Debbie *.* Icon. She SLAYED

+Quote this post
Klaus
post 24th September 2017, 11:45 AM
Post #71
Group icon
❤️❤️➕🟦
User: 17,160

I wish they gave out a lower range of scores in the first couple of shows or so. They mark some of them too high so that it leaves little room for improvement and why those who start well often don't end up winning. They haven't gone on a 'journey'.

Over the course of the 12 weeks or so, you can't continually improve on a 31 which is why when they get like a 28 or something, everyone is appalled when that is probably the score they should be on with a more measured scale.

I can see Aston doing a Peter Andre.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 24th September 2017, 05:10 PM
Post #72
Group icon

I will concur with Debbie being the surprise of last night. I loved Aston's foxtrot, Mollie's jive and Alexandra's waltz of course, did also love Charlotte Hawkins and Brendan's foxtrot, I thought that was beautiful and graceful like an old school Hollywood film. And the Reverend coming down on a cloud with a harp was so funny. For sheer entertainment factor I'm happy to see him embark on a Russell Grant/Ed Balls style trajectory!

Do love Shirley as the new judge. She's got the right mix of maternal warmth and technical finesse about her critique that makes her a good replacement for Len.

Now as for the Aston/Alexandra/Mollie 'ringer' talk. YAWN. Why is it that popstars or actors with a bit of stage experience always get come down so hard on on Strictly? As I've said on the Mollie thread over on The Sats forum, pop and ballroom aren't exactly bedfellows. This constant declaring of 'They danced quite well in a pop group/did a lot of tours with that pop group - BURN THEM IN HELL FOR DOING THIS AND ACTUALLY BEING QUITE THE GOOD!' It's absolutely bloody yawnsome to listen to year after year.

If anything, being in a pop group or a pop singer doesn't automatically mean prowess with ballroom and Latin. Need I remind anyone of how awful Michelle Williams from Destiny's Child, Jamelia and Nicky Byrne from Westlife proved to be when they did it? I remember when Emma Bunton did her series as well how many times Craig had to defend his marking of her because people accused him of being 'biased' because of her background.

The beauty of a show like Strictly is that it's a mixture of all different levels of experience and backgrounds. Yes I love moments such as when Russell Grant turned into a walking Faberge egg, or when John Sargeant stomped across the floor like a particularly angry teddy bear. But I also love moments like Rachel Stevens' rumba, Harry Judd's quickstep, Kimberley Walsh's Argentine tango, and Ore Oduba's jive. It's all about balance and variety, and if Strictly was just full of one extreme or the other with levels of dance experience, it wouldn't be the show it is.

Anyway. That's my piece said on the matter. Great first live show, and what looks to be a great series once again.

(Ore Oduba incidentally, is also hosting the first ever official Strictly podcast for the BBC from tomorrow. Can't wait to hear that)

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post 25th September 2017, 09:11 PM
Post #73
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455

Debbie McGee was a professional ballet dancer in her youth, so I expected to see her performing better than people expected, but even so she really blew me away with that dance. She should easily make the final 3 if she keeps up that standard. Also looking forward to seeing what they've planned for Rev Richard, unless he goes out in week one I can see him being the Ed Balls of this series.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 25th September 2017, 09:27 PM
Post #74
Group icon

Strictly: It Takes Two was back on tonight (love Zoë Ball). Camilla Dallerup is doing Choreography Corner in place of Karen Hardy this year. She's a life coach now too. Go figure!

+Quote this post
Hide&Seek
post 25th September 2017, 11:52 PM
Post #75
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 3,500

QUOTE(lewistgreen @ Sep 23 2017, 11:26 PM) *
Rockin Robin was awful.

Yes ! biggrin.gif I was half expecting Joe to try and jive with his fingers in his ears.
I'd much rather they play a cd than wonder what song is gonna be murdered next.

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 26th September 2017, 08:38 PM
Post #76
Group icon

Song choices and dances for week 2 revealed: https://twitter.com/bbcstrictly/status/912734785637801984

Some interesting dances here potentially, first quicksteps, Charlestons and American smooths of the series too from Susan, Davood, Debbie and The Reverend respectively!

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 27th September 2017, 09:01 AM
Post #77
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

Davood doing the Charleston could be fab, I can imagine him being that sort of dancer (although ngl I'd enjoy him doing any dance kink.gif)

+Quote this post
ThePensmith
post 30th September 2017, 04:38 PM
Post #78
Group icon

Live blog starting again at 6:15pm again tonight people! http://wp.me/p4UO9N-tB

Jonnie and Oti were on 'The Last Leg' on Channel 4 and were really funny. I have a feeling he's gonna grow as the week goes on!

+Quote this post
LexC
post 30th September 2017, 08:10 PM
Post #79
Group icon
Attack Dog/Sass Queen
User: 5,342

Burke' Paso shook me ALL THE WAY UP!

+Quote this post
AdamAloud