BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Dua covers TIME, Elle & Music Week magazine
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
k👠th
post 15th April 2024, 01:50 PM
Post #1
Group icon
baddest of them all
User: 6,764

Full article: https://time.com/6965325/dua-lipa-interview-time100-2024/
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Sour Candy
post 15th April 2024, 04:02 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 10,275

Describing the album as being heavily inspired by ‘80s Scottish rockers Primal Scream and famed English trip-hop collective Massive Attack.

This narrative is still going it seems.

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 17th April 2024, 07:05 AM
Post #3
Group icon
baddest of them all

“When I was working on my first album (…) I remember speaking to my A&R Joe [Kentish], ‘Maybe album three, I could work with Kevin Parker. Maybe I’d be deserving to be in a room with an artist I so deeply admire and look up to’, and he was like, ‘Alright, hold your horses, let’s take baby steps.”

Interesting quote. Makes you think how much they have limited her artistic vision.

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 18th April 2024, 01:43 PM
Post #4
Group icon
baddest of them all

Dua Lipa covers the May issue of Music Week

This month, we are thrilled to welcome Dua Lipa back to the cover of Music Week as the global superstar, businesswoman and Glastonbury headliner ushers in the Radical Optimism era.

Ahead of the long-awaited release of her third album on May 3, Music Week came face to face with Lipa in London, as she told us she is not only delivering what is set up to be one of the campaigns of 2024, but redefining her entire career.

With her publishing and management now part of her own company Radical22, the ultra ambitious star is in full control. Joined by Warner Records president Joe Kentish, who signed her as a teenager 10 years ago, she detailed her plan to inhabit every part of popular culture and discussed confidence, ownership and conquering the music industry.

Ahead of the issue dropping next week, when the full interview will also land on musicweek.com, we’re sharing some highlights from an extra special cover story.

Dua Lipa on making Radical Optimism

“It was about being able to dictate. Before, I wasn’t as confident in my craft. I definitely feel so much better about who I am as an artist and a songwriter, what I want to do and say and how I want to say it.”

Dua Lipa on taking control

“I think I trusted that other people knew better than me, and in some ways they did because they were more experienced. But I’ve just been learning to follow my gut and do the learning myself, rather than rely on other people’s knowledge.”

Dua Lipa on Radical22

“It’s about having control over my music, having the final say over what happens to it. As an artist, it’s important to understand that this is a business.”

Dua Lipa on Glastonbury

“Glastonbury has always been the pinnacle. It’s my favourite festival. I’m so grateful for the trust that Emily [Eavis] has put in me and I’ll make sure it’s great. It’s the biggest show of my life, so I’m gonna make sure I don’t f*** it up!”

Dua Lipa on Joe Kentish

“I wouldn’t have been able to do this without him. I love it when he comes into the studio – he’s someone who I really want to impress, so every time I play Joe music, I hear things differently and realise what needs to change without him even saying anything.”

Dua Lipa on being a ‘pop star’

“People want you to speak out about things that you believe in, create a safe space for fans, or talk about current issues or activism. But at the same time, a lot of people want you to not do that and they want their pop stars to just be very quiet, like, ‘Just sing your song and don’t get involved in politics.’”

Dua Lipa on the music business

“I think that people mistake artists as being away with the fairies, because we are preoccupied with the creative side and that’s the only thing we really want to be doing. People take advantage of that a lot. People are proper charlatans and they’ll try it!”

The new issue of Music Week is available from April 23.

For subscription information please visit musicweek.com/subscribe.

PHOTOS: Tyrone Lebon

https://www.musicweek.com/media/read/dua-li...sic-week/089626

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 18th April 2024, 01:55 PM
Post #5
Group icon
baddest of them all

Dua Lipa: ‘If It’s Not Fun, I Don’t Want It’

For the queen of the dance floor and everyone’s big sister, life is only worth living if you’re having a good time.

The first time Dua Lipa went clubbing, she was just a wisp of a tween girl in Kosovo. The UK-born pop star realizes how absurd it sounds as she explains it. Seated in her home office in London, flanked by shelves teeming with books, she thumbs through her phone for a blurry image of a photo from that fateful night—as if to prove to the two of us that it did indeed happen. At the center of the photo is a young Lipa dressed in white crochet, smiling brightly next to her much taller cousin and an entourage of stylish women.

Clubbing is a Lipa family tradition; it’s also why she wasn’t fazed when, while out one night on New York City’s Lower East Side with Charli XCX, she ran into her parents partying at The Box. “We celebrate everything and anything, and we just love a party,” she explains. “When I go to my aunt’s house, it all starts off pretty tame....Then the music comes on, and we’re all dancing in the house. And that’s a Tuesday!”

Now 28, Lipa has since made a name for herself as Britain’s leading lady of disco. On the dance floor, she plays an almighty oracle, a savvy young agony aunt for lovelorn club kids, desperate for the sobering real talk she’s dispensed in hits like “New Rules” and “Don’t Start Now.”

But long before she penned feminist electro-pop smashes that now stream by the billions, her family knew her as just Dua, their precocious eldest daughter who left Kosovo as a teen to fulfill her pop star dreams by herself in London. That’s when she fully harnessed what she calls her “big sister energy” in her life and music; one can hear it now in the unshakable authority with which she sings her songs.

“She is such a big sister,” says songwriter Caroline Ailin, who first recognized Lipa’s insightful nature when they met almost a decade ago. “You process your feelings [with her], but you also walk away feeling empowered.”

Lipa recently announced her new record, Radical Optimism, out this month. She landed on the title after a friend introduced her to the concept—seeking the silver linings in an otherwise challenging world—which seemed to gel with her ethos, as a person and an artist. “It struck me,”she said in a press statement, “the idea of going through chaos gracefully and feeling like you can weather any storm.”

In the time she spent shaping her new album, Lipa decided she would first take her own advice and start calling all the shots: in her career, in her love life, and in her image. In 2022, she ended her longtime partnership with management and publishing company TaP Music, whose roster includes outsider divas like Lana Del Rey and Caroline Polachek. Lipa subsequently hired her father as her manager and bought back the rights and masters for her entire catalog.

In February, Lipa inaugurated her liberated new era at the 2024 Grammy Awards. Gracing the red carpet in a custom Courrèges chain mail gown, her dyed red tresses cascading past her shoulders, she channeled a dauntless warrior queen. That night, she debuted the single “Training Season,” a new song from Radical Optimism. A jaunty disco track with theatrical flourishes of acoustic guitars, synthesizers, and live drums, it shows Lipa ramping up her bravado. “Don’t wanna have to teach you how to love me right,” she sings, issuing a notice to any less-than-suitable suitors looking to waste her time: She’s in the big leagues now. “I had gone into the studio and just said the line, ‘Training season’s over!’” Lipa recalls.

Written in November 2022, “Training Season” is a reflection on a string of dates and long-term relationships, mostly set up by her friends. Lipa’s previous relationships include Bella and Gigi’s brother Anwar Hadid, and French director Romain Gavras; more recently, she was spotted vacationing in Mexico with British actor Callum Turner. “As long as everyone knows where they stand, then you’re good,” she says with a shrug.

She speaks only obliquely of her love life these days, preferring to drop hints in song. “I was like, ‘Okay, I’m going to write down what I want,’” she says of “Training Season.” “The power of manifestation and writing things into existence with the power of words. When you know your worth, you know what you want and what you don’t want.”

“I was talking about this with one of my dancers today, because she was going through a breakup—when I was single, I didn’t wish it away. You learn so much about yourself, you know, whether it’s going on a date or spending that time alone. In the silence, you figure out who you really are,” she says. “In the grand scheme of things, I was doing research.”

Radical Optimism was formulated with a crack team of co-songwriters and producers: Ailin, her trusted writer; Tobias Jesso Jr., hitmaker for Adele and Harry Styles; and Danny L Harle, PC Music alumnus and self-described “rave consultant.” As a massive fan of the Australian psych act Tame Impala, Lipa also tapped bandleader Kevin Parkerto join her crew in London. “We called it The Band,” Parker says. “Not an old-school band, but a spiritual band. Each morning going into the studio, I felt like I was in the Beatles!”

Inspired in part by the freedom-seeking spirit underpinning UK club culture, Radical Optimism dovetails neatly with the recent resurgence of two nu-disco queens who rocked the clubs in the Y2K era: Kylie Minogue, who came back hard last year with “Padam Padam”; and of course Sophie Ellis-Bextor, whose “Murder on the Dancefloor” needle drop in Saltburn landed her on the Billboard Hot 100 for the first time ever. In Radical Optimism, Lipa brings together live and electronic instruments to fashion her own global groove. The result is a cosmopolitan dance-pop record with a 1970s flair, and a vibrant, resounding affirmation of life.

“Dua had this focus on finding this sound, which was so elusive,” Parker adds. “But it was nice to be in the engine room of the creative process, rather than worry about being the face of it. It was the experience that I’ve been waiting for.”

“Houdini,” the first single off the album, was born shortly after Parker teased out a bass line that he’d recorded for himself, weeks before their studio sessions. Lipa was quick to put her own stamp on it, introducing a moody post-disco melody. “She started singing, and it just immediately made sense,” Parker says. “This feeling of early-’80s sleaze, in some strange, dark, sweaty club. Gloriously suffocating. Hypnotic.”

Ailin has worked with Lipa since before they penned, along with Emily Warren and Ian Kirkpatrick, her 2017 breakout hit, “New Rules”—a dance-worthy laundry list of what-not-to-dos when an ex comes orbiting back around post-breakup. Venting about real life, Ailin explains, became essential to their creative process: “We have a little yap about what’s going on, and from that it turns into a pop song.” Lipa’s moments of unmanicured catharsis, Ailin says, are what yield her most penetrating lyrics; using the firm contralto of her voice, she imparts a pop wisdom that’s as incisive as it is compassionate.

“That’s her superpower,” Ailin says. “It’s hard not to feel like you’re the strongest person next to her. I think she lends a little bit of that to all of us sometimes.”

Born in London in 1995, Lipa is the eldest of three children in a Kosovar-Albanian family. Her parents sought refuge in the UK in 1992, before Dua was born, because of political instability in Kosovo at the time. Prior to their emigration, Dua’s father, Dukagjin, sang and played guitar in a rock band called Oda, and her mother, Anesa, studied law. The Lipas settled in the Camden area of London, and Dua was raised to speak Albanian at home and English at school.

Dua’s family returned to Kosovo in 2006, while it was still under the supervision of the United Nations. The country declared independence from neighboring Serbia in 2008, making it the youngest country in Europe. As she grew into her teens, Dua began to meditate on the horrific stories of ethnic cleansing and war crimes committed against Kosovar Albanians. It prompted a critical perspective shift for her, one that informs her values to this very day—whether that means being a fierce advocate for the LGBTQ+ community, or calling for a humanitarian cease-fire in Gaza.

“I heard stories from friends [in Kosovo] who lost family members. Houses burned. I saw them. When you have that direct communication with people who have been through [war], it opens up a completely new world, and it did for me,” she says. “I feel very close to [those suffering] injustices in the world, or inequality. Whether that be war, or coming out to your family, everyone’s got a different experience…It’s about support and learning together.”

Lipa was only 15 when she returned to London alone to pursue a music career. She moved into a flat in Camden with an Albanian family friend who was attending university. After watching her younger siblings grow up themselves, it was a move that’s almost unfathomable to her now. “I said to my parents: ‘I don’t know how you let me do that,’” she admits. “But I knew that I didn’t have the same opportunities that I would have in Kosovo. I was so determined. I think my parents saw parts of themselves in me, and that allowed for them to be so open-hearted and generous with that trust.”

By 17, she completed her GCSEs, or secondary school certification, and worked as a restaurant hostess to make ends meet. Working in nightclubs as a teen inevitably steeled her for the misogyny and exploitation baked into a male-dominated music industry. If she sounds well beyond her years in her songs, it’s because she earned it. “When I started [songwriting], I worked at La Bodega Negra, a Mexican restaurant that looked like a sex shop,” she recalls. “I’d finish work, then go out to whatever nightclub was happening until, like, three in the morning. Then I would wake up and go to the studio until I had my shift again at, like, 8 P.M. The music I [made] was reflective of my every day, or every night.”

After ascending the charts again with 2018’s “One Kiss” with Calvin Harris, Lipa claimed the title of Best New Artist at the 2019 Grammys. She chased her success the following year with the release of her Grammy-winning sophomore album, Future Nostalgia, which leaked early on in the COVID-19 quarantine in late March of 2020. Despite the pandemic nearly extinguishing the club scene, Future Nostalgia became the singer’s first number one album in the UK, and rendered her one of the most-listened-to female artists on Spotify. (More recently, she became the first female artist to have four songs each with over 2 billion streams on the platform.)

Upon wrapping her Future Nostalgia world tour in December 2022, Lipa finally had time to exhale, for what felt like the first time in her adult life. She embarked on getaways from the Mediterranean to India this past year, and relished dining experiences with her family and friends in tow. After she posted her vacation photos on Instagram, the internet began dubbing her the “Vacanza Queen” poking fun at her for presumably going off gallivanting for months at a time.

At first, the criticism felt dismissive of the years she spent without her family, toiling her way into pop superstardom. Yet perhaps it’s not just the glamorous photos from exotic locales, but also her efficiency as an artist that have concealed her hard work, making it seem magically effortless—the curse of being extremely capable all her life.

Lipa’s routine is still so regimented that it made an impression on Parker when they worked together in London.“Dua is, like, the most punctual person,” he says. “For most pop stars, it’s impossible to get to places on time. But Dua...she’s, like, apologizing profusely if she’s five minutes late!”

Through her media company, Service95, a weekly email newsletter-turned-podcast-turned book club, she has interviewed the Afghan American novelist Khaled Hosseini and the rock’n’ roll poet Patti Smith. She’s also co-executive producing Camden, a new documentary in conjunction with Disney+ that showcases the history of her home borough in London and the many influential artists who grew up there, from Madness to Amy Winehouse.

“I’ve been busy for almost 10 years” she says. “Every single day, I’ve had some bit of work to do. But people are going to say something anyway. People say a lot of mean things about a lot of people.” And if being Vacanza Queen “is what I'm getting, then I’ll take it. Whether I’m performing or going out, if it’s not fun, I don’t want it,” she says. “You have to make room for joy. The world can be burning down, but goddamn…if you didn’t spend any of your life trying to be happy, I don't know what you’ve done.”

https://www.elle.com/culture/celebrities/a6...interview-2024/

+Quote this post
k👠th
post 18th April 2024, 01:59 PM
Post #6
Group icon
baddest of them all

More from Elle magazine:

+Quote this post
Scene
post 18th April 2024, 03:22 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

Omg all of those Elle pics are STUNNING! And that COVER! *.*

+Quote this post
Addy!
post 18th April 2024, 03:45 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 2,666

Hotttttt

+Quote this post
k👠th
post Friday, 12:59 PM
Post #9
Group icon
baddest of them all

Dua at the Time 100 Gala

She performed all 3 Radical Optimism singles. The special will air on May 12th at 10PM on ABC.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

2 user(s) reading this thread
+ 2 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 29th April 2024, 05:01 PM