BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'The Theory of Everything' | Stephen Hawking biopic, Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Theonix
post Jan 8 2015, 11:23 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661

I'm surprised that there's been no thread on this so far, one of the year's first releases and a shoe-in for acting awards at all the upcoming major ceremonies. Eddie Redmayne plays Stephen Hawking throughout his life from the period in which he was diagnosed with motor neurone disease and continuing with his career in physics.

I saw it last night and I have to say I wasn't sure what to expect. I thought it was excellent. Well-acted, emotional and shocking (in a good way). I'll also admit that I knew little of Hawking or his disease so in that respect I'd say it has informed me well enough to understand how difficult a life he has lead and that he truly is an incredible man. The love story element was naturally a major plot point but that didn't detract from my enjoyment. It's also incredible how Jane, his ex-wife, managed to cope with his disease throughout.

An absolutely stellar cast as well, with features from David Thewlis, Maxine Peake, Emily Watson and Harry Lloyd to name but a few and of course Professor Hawking himself provided his Equalizer voice towards the end of the film.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
richie
post Jan 9 2015, 09:17 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166
I saw it last night too, thought it was extremely well acted by all - I'll be amazed if Eddie Redmayne misses out on many awards this year - and a great story.

Some montage pieces over "uplifting" music were a little forced though and I didn't like the standing ovation he received unless it was supposed to be some sort of ironic counter to his fantasy of standing up and giving the student back her pen. Maybe it happened.

But they're small nit-picks. Definitely worth seeing. 4/5.

This post has been edited by richie: Jan 9 2015, 09:18 AM

+Quote this post
richie
post Jan 9 2015, 09:18 AM
Post #3
Group icon
Poet and Storyteller
User: 166
Whoops, double posted...

This post has been edited by richie: Jan 9 2015, 09:18 AM

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post Jan 21 2015, 10:03 PM
Post #4
Group icon
User: 13,007
Incredibly well acted and a fitting insight into one of the greatest living minds we have, if not the greatest.

Redmayne was sensational, and there were times i had to look thrice to make sure they hadn't actually got Stephen Hawking in for the odd scene. Hope he is recognised well at the Academy Awards because based on that he fully deserves it.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 21 2015, 10:06 PM
Post #5
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
I am hopefully seeing this this week, it looks really good and I thought Eddie was great in Les Mis

+Quote this post
Jade
post Jan 25 2015, 02:35 AM
Post #6
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810
I saw this today and it was incredible! As previously mentioned, Eddie Redmayne was phenomenal! I was excited for his appearance following his performance as Marius in Les Mis, and blimey he really blew me away with how true he was to the role. Heart wrenching stuff, even funny lines in places too.

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Jan 25 2015, 04:20 PM
Post #7
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
I thought this was quite good but could have been a lot better. The one major problem I had was that everything moved very fast and they didn't really explain too much such as what years the things were happening and how Stephen managed to live for so long.
The acting however was amazing- especially Eddie and Felicity who were great and deserve their acting nominations wub.gif

+Quote this post
hezza555
post Feb 17 2015, 02:34 PM
Post #8
Group icon
New Entry
User: 21,598
I want to see this so much, watched the trailer yesterday looks great@

+Quote this post
bipolar angel
post Feb 21 2015, 12:33 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 20,494
the trailers for this look really good.

i can't wait to see it

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post Mar 25 2015, 04:51 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"The Theory of Everything" is undoubtedly one of the most hyped films of the last three months. It is based on the life of the theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking in accordance with the "Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen" which was written by his first wife Jane Wilde Hawking. The film received very good reviews worldwide and it won numerous awards at many festivals. It won two Golden Globes, including in the "Best Actor in a Motion Picture Drama" and "Best Original Score", three Bafta awards, including "Best British Film", "Best Actor in a Leading Role" and "Best Adapted Screenplay", and won one Academy award in "Best Actor" category! It was released in my country two months ago and it hit the top spot in the Greek Box Office!
The film begins with the student years of Stephen Hawking at Cambridge University and his encounter with his first wife before he is diagnosed with motor neuron disease. Then, it continues with his married life and his acceptance by the scientific world as the disease was at an advanced stage and concludes with his global recognition. Do not expect to see the scientific work of Stephen Hawking on the cinema screen. "The Theory of Eveything" is based on his personal life while his scientific work comes second. It is a powerful story in which its evolution causes a great deal of emotions for the audience. It also helps you to appreciate Stephen Hawking in a personal way. The directing of James Marsh is quite good, the script is interesting and the performances are those that literally steal the show. Eddie Redmayne is staggering in his interesting role of a very special man. He is thoroughly convincing. However, I found his interpretation exceptional as imitation and for this reason I wouldn’t have given him the award for "Best Actor". I think that this has happened a lot of times in recent decades and it would be better if the interpretations would be based on literary characters not compete with those based on imitations of real character. There should have been a separate category for these types of performances. However, this does not diminish in any way the value of the interpretation of Eddie Redmayne. Felicity Jones was also very good in her role and therefore was nominated for the Golden Globes and the Bafta. She was also appreciated by the American Academy Awards although she didn’t have a chance of winning but her performance in "The Theory of Everything" will surely play an important role in her subsequent career. Last but not least, the film had also beautiful photography, elaborate montage and remarkable soundtrack. The only disadvantage is that the rate of the movie dropped somewhat after the second half of the film but I wouldn’t say that it was dull in its whole duration.
"The Theory of Everything" is definitely one of the greatest artistic achievements of this past year! I would prefer of course the film to be based mainly on a constant supply of Stephen Hawking as a theoretical physicists and cosmologist. However, for this, there are several documentaries about them. It has been loved by many viewers all around the world and it has received a high average score in IMDb (7,8). Furthermore, its total receipts are fairly good compared to its low budget. The multiple nominations by the Bafta and the Oscar led its total earnings, something that certainly did not have the same impact on other proposed movies. However, I believe that a very large number of tickets came from the fans of Stephen Hawking, how is one of the most intelligent and talented people in the world!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:48 AM