BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Sully, Story of the Hudson River plane landing
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post Jul 3 2016, 02:06 PM
Post #1
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
Directed by Clint Eastwood with Tom Hanks in the hunt for another Oscar nom again. Tells the story of the pilot of US Airways Flight 1549 which made an emergency landing on the Hudson river in January 2009. On the schedule for December in the UK.

I love a good plane movie
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Dec 4 2016, 07:41 PM
Post #2
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
This was really good imo, I was expecting the film to be a bit boring because I thought it would be difficult to spread one event of a couple of minutes into a feature length film but was really shocked to see how he struggled to justify his actions to those above him and how he wasn't hailed as a hero by all immediately. Tom Hanks does a good job as usual but not sure I'd say I was blown away by it, might sneak into my top 5 in a weak year so I'll hold off judgement 'til I see everything but it was a bit like Bridge of Spies were I wouldn't be so sad if he missed out even though he was good.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Dec 4 2016, 08:18 PM
Post #3
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
It was another really solid movie. I was surprised at his struggle too, I'd been unaware of all the simulations and the conclusions they'd come to etc. It was an interesting watch, I find planes and airports quite fascinating so I liked seeing behind the scenes with how air traffic control was handling it too. And one of the best endings of the year, what a line to finish on biggrin.gif

Didn't have the same thrills as something like Non-Stop (we knew it turned out OK for everyone) and not quite as good / awards worthy as Bridge of Spies, but the third 8/10 I've seen in a row. tongue.gif (And it is better than Flight, which had a very similar theme albeit with a fictional story, and Denzel Washington got a nom for that)

Tom Hanks is just so likeable, perfect for the role (like Sully was essential to the equation with the water landing, Tom was essential here)

+Quote this post
troublepink
post Dec 7 2016, 11:00 AM
Post #4
Group icon
Beautiful Trauma
User: 590
I'm currently watching this, what a brilliant film so far! Of course I had a feeling it would be good as Tom Hanks is in it, I've never seen a bad film of his yet!

The part where he is talking to control about going into the river I found quite emotional too heart.gif

+Quote this post
Davidson
post Dec 7 2016, 11:11 AM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,847
Yeah, this was a very good, solid film.

Tom Hanks was fantastic in it as expected and the scenes within the plane were so perfectly done, and actually pretty terrifying. Maybe that was because I watched it on the iMAX screen too, so it really made you feel like you were in it.

Although Eastwood did very well with making it riveting, I do still think the thing that was stopping it being a great film was the fact that it is basically a film about a 2 and a half minute event. He did well to make it an hour and a half but even at that, it did feel like it was a bit of a stretch to keep the story interesting. It did kind of feel like he was like "oh god, I better try and at least get the film to an hour and half, otherwise people will call it a short rather than a feature length", and he just about managed to do so without it becoming completely stale.

It certainly had it's moments though and was very enjoyable for what it was in a 7/10 way.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:35 PM