BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
This thread is locked.Create a new thread
> Spice Girls vs. other UK girl groups, How do they compare?
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
Mr.X
post 25th July 2021, 12:32 AM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,587

Top 10 UK Girlbands

1. Spice Girls
2. Little Mix
3. Sugababes
4. All Saints
5. Girls Aloud
6. Eternal
7. Bananarama
8. Mis-teeq
9. Honeyz
10. The Saturdays

That's the tea my huns smoke.gif

This post has been edited by Mr.X: 25th July 2021, 09:46 AM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 25th July 2021, 01:48 AM
Post #22
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

Cleopatra 🤣🤣🤣 your argument went out the window! I agree with your top 5 though (although not necessarily in that order for me).

Anyone who doesn’t think The Last Goodbye isn’t one of the best girl band ballads ever just no! It’s up there with Spice Girls ballads and Too lost in you (and whole again) 😍

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 25th July 2021, 01:54 AM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

My personal top 10 U.K. girl bands:
1. Spice Girls
2. Girls Aloud
3. Sugababes
4. All Saints
5. Atomic Kitten
6. Bananarama
7. Little Mix
8. Mis Teeq
9. Eternal
10. The Saturdays

Objectively speaking and being unbiased by personal tastes, in terms of output consistency and longevity, I’d put Little Mix at #1 they have been amazing I truly take my hats off to them.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 25th July 2021, 01:55 AM
Post #24
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Also it’s really a top 8 for me as I don’t particularly like The Sats or Eternal bar a few songs.

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 25th July 2021, 07:11 AM
Post #25
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Jul 25 2021, 02:55 AM) *
Also it’s really a top 8 for me as I don’t particularly like The Sats or Eternal bar a few songs.

Yeah I quite struggled to make that Top10 beyond Mis-teeq hence why the Sats and Cleopatra make it in even though each have one or two excellent songs only lol

The rest are just excellent girlbands, really.

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 25th July 2021, 08:26 AM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588

01. Spice Girls
02. Girls Aloud
03. Sugababes
04. All Saints
05. Atomic Kitten
06. The Saturdays
07. Little Mix
08. Mis Teeq
09. Eternal
10. Solid Harmonie / Honeyz

Big, big fan of the first seven groups.
Solid Harmonie and Honeyz only have a few songs I know, but those (I Want You To Want Me, I'll Be There For You, Finally Found) are fantastic.

+Quote this post
tommie
post 25th July 2021, 08:50 AM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

Atomic Kitten were nothing without Kerry x

Does Strawberry Switchblade and Shakespears Sister count as duos or girl groups? unsure.gif

+Quote this post
Perriechu
post 25th July 2021, 08:58 AM
Post #28
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 109,885

I think when it comes to 00s/90s girl groups in the UK Girls Aloud were the most well rounded, they had great music, could sing decently well and could put on a bit of a show - Sugababes didn't really perform and Spice Girls are mediocre vocalists and their music was hit and miss, but they knew how to sell camp and a performance.

Although impact wise.. come on now, Spice Girls >>

I'm actually shocked at that streaming list, too. Didn't expect Wannabe to have that many streams and I'm also confused by Atomic Kitten being second lol

(although it's still absolutely *shocking* how another member is able to spout such misogynistic crap and isn't told to stop but is instead just ignored, which isn't any better)

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 25th July 2021, 09:32 AM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(jsweetxe @ Jul 25 2021, 09:58 AM) *
I think when it comes to 00s/90s girl groups in the UK Girls Aloud were the most well rounded, they had great music, could sing decently well and could put on a bit of a show - Sugababes didn't really perform and Spice Girls are mediocre vocalists and their music was hit and miss, but they knew how to sell camp and a performance.

Although impact wise.. come on now, Spice Girls >>

Girls Aloud are excellent, but they were never that great live, sorry. I went to see them live on the Tangled Up Tour and then on the Out of Control tour and only Nadine could hold a tune. Cheryl, Nadine and Nicola are good performers, but apart from that it was a mess.

Sugababes never made a name for themselves with touring did they? Hope that the originals, since they are back now, will change that a bit in the future.

QUOTE(jsweetxe @ Jul 25 2021, 09:58 AM) *
(although it's still absolutely *shocking* how another member is able to spout such misogynistic crap and isn't told to stop but is instead just ignored, which isn't any better)

pirate.gif was that me? I hope it wasnt me... sorry if it was sad.gif

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 25th July 2021, 09:33 AM
Post #30
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Chemistry @ Jul 25 2021, 09:26 AM) *
01. Spice Girls
02. Girls Aloud
03. Sugababes
04. All Saints
05. Atomic Kitten
06. The Saturdays
07. Little Mix
08. Mis Teeq
09. Eternal

Solid Harmonie and Honeyz only have a few songs I know, but those (I Want You To Want Me, I'll Be There For You, Finally Found) are fantastic.

OK SHIT I forgot Honeyz!!! I will update my list now

+Quote this post
Perriechu
post 25th July 2021, 09:38 AM
Post #31
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 109,885

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jul 25 2021, 10:32 AM) *
Girls Aloud are excellent, but they were never that great live, sorry. I went to see them live on the Tangled Up Tour and then on the Out of Control tour and only Nadine could hold a tune. Cheryl, Nadine and Nicola are good performers, but apart from that it was a mess.

Sugababes never made a name for themselves with touring did they? Hope that the originals, since they are back now, will change that a bit in the future.

I never actually saw most of what they did live, I knew they had some clunky performances but they at least tried to give you Beyonce-esque moments, whereas Spice Girls on stage just seemed so fun and effortless, although their songs required minimal vocal effort they got off light

(no, it wasn't you haha)

+Quote this post
Mr.X
post 25th July 2021, 09:47 AM
Post #32
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Mr.X @ Jul 25 2021, 01:32 AM) *
Top 10 UK Girlbands

1. Spice Girls
2. Little Mix
3. Sugababes
4. All Saints
5. Girls Aloud
6. Eternal
7. Bananarama
8. Mis-teeq
9. Honeyz
10. The Saturdays

That's the tea my huns smoke.gif

Updated me list cos was reminded of Honeyz w00t.gif

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 25th July 2021, 09:52 AM
Post #33
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

You in danger girl

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 25th July 2021, 10:39 AM
Post #34
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

QUOTE(Chemistry @ Jul 25 2021, 09:26 AM) *
01. Spice Girls
02. Girls Aloud
03. Sugababes
04. All Saints
05. Atomic Kitten
06. The Saturdays
07. Little Mix
08. Mis Teeq
09. Eternal

We have the same top 5 (and number 7/8) wub.gif The taste!

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 25th July 2021, 10:43 AM
Post #35
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

WHUT? Girls Aloud were great live, they put on such a show! I saw What will the neighbours say and Tangled up and thought they sounded great bar a couple of bum notes from Kimberley and Sarah lol. The Ten tour however was quite bad I saw them in Newcastle and they sounded dreadful, maybe it's the date not consistent perhaps?

Sugababes never made a name for touring, they didn't really do the full show thing did they so I guess, as great as they sounded, it was just a little boring live?

+Quote this post
Long Dong Silver
post 25th July 2021, 12:44 PM
Post #36
Group icon
Buffy/Charmed
User: 18,639

The REAL list, leaving out all mixed gender bands, but you could make an argument for adding tjem, as the men never sing, and Simon Cowell is just a silent 5th member.

1. Spicy Gals
2. All Saints
3. Girls Aloud
4. Sugababes
5. The Saturday
6. Atomic Kitten
7. The Andrews Sisters
8. Mis Teeq
9. Lisa's Mafia
10. Honeyz
11. Eternal
12. Bananarama
13. The Bangles

And if I add TLC, Destiny's Beyonce, Pursuant Nicole Sherzinger and Her Dolls, and the Supremes, they would lans at:

4. TLC
5. Destiny's Child

8. Pussycat Nicole
9. Thr Supremes

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 25th July 2021, 03:14 PM
Post #37
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Any more comments about 'Salty Mixers' or Simon Cowell being the 5th member etc will be deleted. You made you point it's not funny and quite frankly incredibly misogynistic. The same goes for calling other girlbands "trash" we can express our opinions without being insulting on that level.

+Quote this post
Piers
post 25th July 2021, 04:32 PM
Post #38
Group icon
BuzzJack Regular
User: 69,521

It's always been odd to me how rarely these UK girl groups manage to crack the US market. The Spices obviously owned 1997 in the US, but even by 1998, their radio play was nearly nonexistent...even when they had two albums sitting in the top 10 at the same time.

All Saints is a really curious situation. Never Ever was HUGE here. In fact, I'd say I heard Never Ever get more radio play than any Spice single, bar Wannabe (though it's possible this was just the situation in my part of the country). However, despite Never Ever being everywhere, I never heard a follow-up single on US radio. Did they try anything else after Never Ever? Also. Never Ever seems to be one of those curious cases of a song that was enormous for a year...but people my age don't seem to especially remember it?

After that, it's been a hodgepodge. I heard Scandalous by Mis-Teeq on the radio a bit back when it came out. Little Mix has had two albums in the top 10 here...though none of their singles have had an impressive showing on the Billboard chart. Atomic Kitten, Girls Aloud, and Sugababes didn't crack the market much at all, I don't think.

That observation doesn't have anything to do with music quality. I think most of these groups had songs worthy of charting just about anywhere. Just curious that UK solo acts and boybands crack the US pretty regularly...but girl groups so rarely make it...

+Quote this post
tommie
post 25th July 2021, 05:31 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,073

Vanilla probably would've gone to number one in the US, but when who wants to deal with the capitalist US market?

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 25th July 2021, 05:32 PM
Post #40
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Pronouns: he/him
User: 3,217

^^ It is a shame that the US was deprived of so many quality girl groups! cry.gif Shows how phenomenal it is that Spice Girls broke through, even though it was ultimately rather short lived. US radio being so resistant to the Spiceworld era singles - criminal! It's also kind of ironic that Holler didn't manage to chart in the US considering it's a Darkchild production.

As well as Never Ever, All Saints also had I Know Where Its At chart at #36. It is curious how they never managed to follow up in the US - you'd think Pure Shores would have done something with it being on The Beach soundtrack, but no!

Atomic Kitten tried with Whole Again but it didn't catch on (despite them filming a new music video for the market), while The Tide Is High was included in the Lizzie McGuire soundtrack (slightly rewritten because for some strange reason Disney thought the original had inappropriate lyrics lol). Sugababes managed to chart with Hole in the Head in the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at #96 and spending two weeks in the chart in June 2004. Mis-Teeq got to #36 with Scandalous but their follow up One Night Stand didn't chart.

Pre-Spice Girls, Eternal had quite a big hit in the US with Stay - that reached #19 and spent 20 weeks in the chart, but no other hits followed. It must have been a bit galling for them that Angel of Mine became a big #1 hit in the US when Monica covered it.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
This thread is locked.Create a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 29th April 2024, 09:04 AM