BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'Bedtime Stories' • album discussion, 6th album | 1994
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post Jun 10 2020, 08:14 PM
Post #1
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

A place to discuss Madonna's 6th studio album 'Bedtime Stories'. Released in 1994.

1. Survival
2. Secret
3. I'd Rather Be Your Lover
4. Don't Stop
5. Inside of Me
6. Human Nature
7. Forbidden Love
8. Love Tried To Welcome Me
9. Sanctuary
10. Bedtime Story
11. Take a Bow

What are your thoughts on this album? Share any opinions, memories, favourite songs, or just discuss it anytime you're re-listening!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 10 2020, 08:15 PM
Post #2

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Jun 12 2020, 06:46 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 1,031
   No Gallery Pics

I like this album and it was easier to get into than erotica.

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 15 2020, 02:09 PM
Post #4
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

Looking at the singles list I can only remember how 'Take A Bow' goes... I know I've heard the others, I just can't remember them! Oops. So this album is gonna be an interesting listen to me. There's something quite TLC/most 90's R&B groups about 'Survival', at least in the production. An interesting choice of sound for Madge, should this be the direction. Listening to 'Secret' and yes, I have definitely heard and can remember 'Secret', I assume this was what birthed 'Frozen' into the masterpiece it is, like she listened to 'Secret' and said... "this can be stronger" and BAM we have 'Frozen'! No? Just me? OK.

I have definitely heard 'Human Nature' before, but I can't remember it... It's ok, actually sounds like Gorillaz sampled this (they didn't but it gives me major 'Clint Eastwood' vibes from some of the production!). The production throughout this album is good! It's all blending a bit to me atm though, ngl. Good, but there's not much interesting me with this.

1. Secret
2. Survival
3. Take a Bow
4. Human Nature
5. Bedtime Story
6. Don't Stop
7. Sanctuary
8. Forbidden Love
9. I'd Rather Be Your Lover
10. Inside of Me
11. Love Tried To Welcome Me

Well... I didn't dislike the album. It was just "there" for me. It's very of it's time, even the singles. I don't necessarily mean that negatively, but I can't see me going back to anything from this album much at all? I definitely had a better experience listening to 'Erotica' than I did with this as it was a lot more interesting thematically and with the production. Sorry peeps, but this ain't a fave of mine </3 I got SOMETHING from the other albums, with this... not a lot, if anything, at all? It's a perfectly fine album, just not really one I'll remember or go back to, I don't think. sad.gif

Album Rankings:
01. True Blue
02. Erotica
03. Like A Prayer
04. Madonna
05. Like A Virgin
06. Bedtime Stories

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Jun 15 2020, 03:23 PM
Post #5
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

There are some good tracks on here, but listening to this album from start to finish does bore me.

'I'd Rather Be Your Lover' is lovely.

+Quote Post
Sempachorra
post Jun 15 2020, 03:53 PM
Post #6
Let's Go Brandon
Member No.: 421

I really like Secret, Sanctuary and Human Nature

+Quote Post
Tafty³³³
post Jun 15 2020, 04:10 PM
Post #7
I found the love, I found the love in me
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 5,042

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Jun 15 2020, 04:23 PM) *
There are some good tracks on here, but listening to this album from start to finish does bore me.

'I'd Rather Be Your Lover' is lovely.
That's interesting. Coz I didn't find any of them particularly special (at least to me) but maybe away from the album I'd prefer the songs? Hmm.. I do plan on making a playlist of my favourite Madge songs (which is why I'm recording my rankings here aha) so when I listen to that playlist maybe they'll stick out more to me.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Jun 15 2020, 04:26 PM
Post #8
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Secret was a real grower but I’m not that fond of anything else as I agree it all just sort of merges into a mid 90s r&b blob. Title track aside, which is okay, but I’d rather just listen to Björk

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 15 2020, 04:43 PM
Post #9

'Secret' is my favourite song on here now, but the transition from 'Sanctuary' to 'Bedtime Story' remains a genius moment.

I think the alubm, for first time listeners, suffers from being too subtle compared to her to her other work. For me, it ranked very low (perhaps bottom) for a while but with return listens and giving it more and more time it has moved up slightly. Whenever I need a "calm myself down" album, this is the one I return to, so it has its benefits from being so laid back!

+Quote Post
Sempachorra
post Jun 15 2020, 06:02 PM
Post #10
Let's Go Brandon
Member No.: 421

QUOTE(HausofGhibli @ Jun 15 2020, 05:43 PM) *
'Secret' is my favourite song on here now, but the transition from 'Sanctuary' to 'Bedtime Story' remains a genius moment.

Its perfect isn't it? I also notice it. Those 2 songs are really the preludes to Ray Of Light

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Jun 15 2020, 07:20 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Euphorique @ Jun 15 2020, 07:02 PM) *
Its perfect isn't it? I also notice it. Those 2 songs are really the preludes to Ray Of Light

It always grabs my attention! The craziness of 'Bedtime Story' and then the calmness of 'Take A Bow' is interesting also in that it reminds you what album you are actually listening to after being transported elsewhere in 'Bedtime Story' laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Jun 18 2020, 09:06 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(HausofGhibli @ Jun 15 2020, 05:43 PM) *

I think the alubm, for first time listeners, suffers from being too subtle compared to her to her other work. For me, it ranked very low (perhaps bottom) for a while but with return listens and giving it more and more time it has moved up slightly. Whenever I need a "calm myself down" album, this is the one I return to, so it has its benefits from being so laid back!

Agreed, it's probably her least immediate album and one that you need to be in the right mood for. Like Erotica, it took a long time to click with me, but now I can say it's one of my favourites! There's so much warmth to this album, which makes it a really inviting listen whenever you're feeling a bit down or want to chill out. 'Love Tried to Welcome Me' is probably my favourite on the album, a gut-wrenching song about feeling hopeless and despair. 'Sanctuary' is another highlight and I agree that transition into 'Bedtime Story' is such a moment (these two songs really do feel like the blueprints for Ray of Light!). It is odd how 'Take a Bow' follows but it seems to work for me, I can't put my finger on why!

+Quote Post
Jordanlee
post Jun 28 2020, 11:56 AM
Post #13
Jord
Member No.: 27,116

Gave this a listen today! Of her 90s studio albums I always preferred this to Erotica.

This is kinda mood depending but when I wanted to have an easy Sunday morning it worked perfect for that. It’s cohesive as an album and the tracks flow well from one another. It’s also a great album for her vocally too. This is one of her albums I revisit the least tbh because it is mood depending but whenever I do listen to it I really like it and it does a great job In kinda like relaxing you. I love her image and look in this era too I always felt like Xtina was inspired by this on her Back to Basics era. The album for me is a bit of a builder. The final three tracks are the best though!

My rating would probably be

1. Take A Bow
2. Bedtime Story
3. Sanctuary
4. Forbidden Love
5. Human Nature
6. Survival
7. Secret
8. I’d Rather Be Your Lover
9. Inside Of Me
10. Love Tried To Welcome Me
11. Don’t Stop

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 30 2020, 06:58 PM
Post #14

cheer.gif

+Quote Post
Hotlady
post Oct 30 2020, 07:57 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 4,586
   No Gallery Pics

I just love the album it amazing. I'm favourite song would have be Secret.

This post has been edited by Hotlady: Oct 30 2020, 07:57 PM

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Oct 30 2020, 09:50 PM
Post #16

'Secret' has grown into my favourite over the years too! heart.gif

+Quote Post
Alberto!
post Oct 30 2020, 11:56 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 39,843
   No Gallery Pics

I bought and listened to this album first in summer 1998, I was 9 and this was the first Madonna album I bought/listened to after Ray Of Light. I obviously had no idea what the singles had been etc. It had only been released 4 years prior but sounded and looked like an album from another Madonna (previous) life! Especially as the aesthetics were so different from the ROL era.

I grew to love all tracks (Don't Stop maybe is the one I skip) at such young age that it now feels like an album from my childhood and all tracks are equally familiar to me. Secret, Human Nature, Take A Bow became the most iconic after I started venturing in Madonna's videography. The title track has a great video but sonically is not something I enjoyed at first (again, I was 9, so still far from my Bjork phase).

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Dec 4 2020, 02:15 AM
Post #18
BuzzJack Idol

Should Have Been Bigger: Madonna’s “Human Nature”

For a project that sold eight million copies around the world, Madonna’s Bedtime Stories still feels like one of the most underrated albums of the 1990s. Not only did it create the blueprint for the Pop Girl R&B crossover, it also contains some of the most experimental (“Bedtime Story”) and autobiographical songs in the living legend’s holy discography. “Human Nature” definitely falls into the latter category. In that it is a literal response to the backlash sparked by her Sex book and Erotica era.

“You wouldn’t let me say the words I longed to say, you didn’t want to see life through my eyes,” Madonna sings in the first verse over a sample of Main Source’s “What You Need.” “You tried to shove me back inside your narrow room and silence me with bitterness and lies.” Like so many times before and since, the Queen of Pop remained unapologetic on the chorus. “And I’m not sorry (I’m not sorry), it’s human nature (It’s human nature),” she purred. “I’m not your bitch, don’t hang your shit on me.” Take that, critics.

In addition to be a razor-sharp feminist manifesto, “Human Nature” also boasts one of the most influential video clips of the ’90s. Everyone from Rihanna to Christina Aguilera has pilfered ideas from Jean-Baptiste Mondino’s stunning, S&M-inspired visual. As usual, however, Madonna was a decade or two ahead of her time. “Human Nature” was not embraced by radio — surprise! — and the banger stalled at number 46 on the Billboard Hot 100.

https://www.idolator.com/7916311/should-hav...=1&chrome=1

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Dec 4 2020, 02:16 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Idol

The 'Human Nature' video is in desperate need for a HD makeover!

+Quote Post
Sour Candy
post Dec 5 2020, 07:39 AM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 10,275
   No Gallery Pics

I think this is the album I have listened to the least from her? (Well definitely more than Hard Candy since 2010 though so there's that tongue.gif )

I don't find the album tracks particularly great, except Forbidden Love, but singles are stunning all the way.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:27 PM