BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Racism in Sport
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Mack.
post 29th October 2021, 12:50 AM
Post #41
Group icon
It's still will be the return of the Mack 4eva
User: 12,915

Yorkshire will not take disciplinary action against any player, employee or executive after a report found Azeem Rafiq had been a victim of "racial harassment and bullying" at the club.

Last year Rafiq, 30, claimed "institutional racism" at the club left him close to taking his own life.

Seven of the 43 allegations were upheld by an independent panel last month.

A spokesperson for the player has called on Yorkshire board members to resign.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 4th November 2021, 02:28 AM
Post #42
Group icon

Ex-England international Gary Ballance has said he "regrets" using racist language towards his former Yorkshire team-mate Azeem Rafiq.

In a lengthy and emotional statement, Ballance said he was responsible for some of the offensive terms Rafiq was subjected to during his time at Headingley.

"It has been reported that I used a racial slur and, as I told the independent enquiry, I accept that I did so and I regret doing so," said Ballance, 31.

"To be clear - I deeply regret some of the language I used in my younger years."

Ballance, who played 23 Test matches for England, said Rafiq was his "best mate in cricket" and that he "cared deeply for him", adding that "on the pitch we supported each other greatly".

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 9th November 2021, 12:56 AM
Post #43
Group icon

A former Yorkshire academy player says he was racially abused by a member of staff as a 16-year-old, in the latest allegation of racism against the club.

Irfan Amjad, who was later released, claims a member of staff used a term referencing his Pakistani heritage to criticise his batting style.

Yorkshire County Cricket Club said in a statement: "It is essential that those who have experienced racism, discrimination and abuse are able to come forward to share their experiences.

"We were unaware of this allegation until now but will investigate appropriately

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 16th November 2021, 01:27 AM
Post #44
Group icon

Former bowler Maurice Chambers says he suffered racist abuse over a 10-year period at Essex, just days after another former player Zoheb Sharif alleged racism at the club.

Chambers, 34, who was born in Jamaica, alleges he was repeatedly racially abused by two team-mates and a senior coach at the county.

He says he was frequently subjected to racist jokes, including banana taunts.

Chambers, who played for Essex from 2005-2013, told The Cricketer he "would go home at the end of the day and cry".

+Quote this post
daniel chris
post 16th November 2021, 01:19 PM
Post #45
Group icon
New Entry
User: 141,000

QUOTE(Mack. @ Nov 16 2021, 01:27 AM) *
Former bowler Maurice Chambers says he suffered racist abuse over a 10-year period at Essex, just days after another former player Zoheb Sharif alleged racism at the club.

Chambers, 34, who was born in Jamaica, alleges he was repeatedly racially abused by two team-mates and a senior coach at the county.

He says he was frequently subjected to racist jokes, including banana taunts.

Chambers, who played for Essex from 2005-2013, told The Cricketer he "would go home at the end of the day and cry".

Yorkshire engulfed by racism, everyday something is happening in YCCC

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 16th November 2021, 01:57 PM
Post #46
Group icon

The latest from Azeem Rafiq speaking to the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59304381

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 18th November 2021, 09:07 AM
Post #47
Group icon

Former Yorkshire and Hampshire bowler Tino Best says cricket needs to tackle a "drinking culture" which is "hampering" opportunities for black and Asian players.

The retired West Indies international, 40, spent the 2010 season at Yorkshire and played alongside Azeem Rafiq, who on Tuesday said English cricket was "institutionally" racist.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 18th November 2021, 10:24 AM
Post #48
Group icon

Former England cricketer Ebony Rainford-Brent has revealed a racist hate letter she received telling her to "leave our country".

Rainford-Brent, 37, was the first black woman to play for England and is the director of women's cricket at Surrey.

She posted a picture of the abusive letter on social media on Wednesday along with her reaction.

"Born in South London but apparently I was found naked in Africa as a primitive," she wrote.

"Had some letters in my time but this one up there!"

The handwritten letter had a number of expletives and was posted on Twitter by Rainford-Brent a day after ex-Yorkshire player Azeem Rafiq's emotional testimony to a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 18th November 2021, 11:30 PM
Post #49
Group icon

Azeem Rafiq has apologised and said he is "deeply ashamed" for using anti-Semitic language in Facebook messages from 2011.

Former spinner Rafiq has spoken of his experiences of racism at Yorkshire and appeared at a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee this week.

The 30-year-old said he had "absolutely no excuses" for the messages.

"I am incredibly angry at myself and apologise to the Jewish community," he said in a statement.

Rafiq also later apologised on Thursday for an Instagram meme containing a saying relating to African people.

He said posting this four years ago "was a matter of stupidity but the harm is the same as overt racism so that is no excuse".

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 19th November 2021, 12:04 AM
Post #50
Group icon

Somerset County Cricket Club have "reprimanded" Jack Brooks over historical tweets he sent which contained racist language.

The club investigated two tweets, sent in 2012 when the now 37-year-old played for Northamptonshire, as well as calling Cheteshwar Pujara 'Steve' when they were both at Yorkshire.

Brooks has "unreservedly" apologised.

In a statement, Somerset said he was "embarrassed and devastated that his comments offended people".

"He has acknowledged that, whilst they were made nearly a decade ago when he was less mature, the content of the posts was

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 19th November 2021, 10:06 AM
Post #51
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

This institutional racism scandal is certainly a massive problem and shouldn't be overlooked at all but this action of people (with way too much time on their hands clearly) going through player's years-old social medias to dig out ANYTHING problematic is way overboard imo.

+Quote this post
Rooney
post 19th November 2021, 04:35 PM
Post #52
Group icon
WINTER IS COMING
User: 88

So I don't know whether anyone listens to the Guardian Football Weekly, but they did a podcast with John Barnes last week. There were some good points raised by John (and some stuff that was a bit wide off the mark too). Anyway, his point was that by us historically going back 10-15 years and vilifying and cancelling people for making these comments, it makes authorities look like they are stamping down on racism. They're not really.. I don't really see what purpose it serves. People change, people mature - the key to it all is education, challenging people and learning. It's pretty clear there is a problem in cricket that is engrained in the culture, just like I'm sure there will have been in football back in the 80s. I do think people owning up to these comments and saying "Yes I made these, but I am not proud" is at step to going at least somewhere though.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 24th November 2021, 03:14 AM
Post #53
Group icon

Jahid Ahmed has become the third former Essex player to allege he experienced racist abuse at the club, saying he "felt like an outsider all the time".

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/countyc...mans_world.html

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 16th June 2022, 10:58 AM
Post #54
Group icon

Charges have been brought against "a number of individuals" by English cricket's governing body in relation to allegations of racism at Yorkshire.

The accused, who have not been named, could be banned or fined by the England and Wales Cricket Board.

Yorkshire itself has also been charged with breaching the anti-racism rules.

Details of abuse first surfaced in September 2020 when former player Azeem Rafiq said discrimination left him feeling suicidal.

"In matters of this nature, our normal practice is not to identify individuals charged at this stage," said the ECB.

Yorkshire said the "allegations relate to charges as far back as 2004 up until 2021".

In a statement, the County added: "The club will need the cooperation of those in position during this time in order to fully consider and respond to the matters raised."

Since Rafiq's accusations became public, 16 members of staff have left Yorkshire in a widespread overhaul of its senior leadership.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 28th June 2022, 10:52 PM
Post #55
Group icon

Lewis Hamilton has said "archaic mindsets need to change" and have no place in Formula 1 after three-time world champion Nelson Piquet used racially abusive language about him.

The 69-year-old Brazilian, who won the world title in 1981, 1983 and 1987, used a racially offensive term to refer to Hamilton in a podcast.

Piquet has been condemned by Formula 1, Hamilton's Mercedes team and the FIA.

"It's more than language," said seven-time world champion Hamilton.

"These archaic mindsets need to change and have no place in our sport. I've been surrounded by these attitudes and targeted my whole life.

"There has been plenty of time to learn. Time has come for action."

Piquet was discussing the accident between Hamilton and Red Bull driver Max Verstappen on the first lap of last year's British Grand Prix.

He described the incident as "a joke", said Hamilton had been "lucky" only Verstappen crashed, and used a swear word in expressing his opinion that Hamilton had made a mistake.

This weekend's British Grand Prix is the first anniversary of the incident, which was one of a series between the two drivers as they disputed last year's world title - a championship decided in controversial circumstances at the 2021 finale in Abu Dhabi

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 29th June 2022, 03:02 PM
Post #56
Group icon

Former Yorkshire head coach Andrew Gale will not engage with the England and Wales Cricket Board's disciplinary process after being charged following racism allegations at the club.

Abuse allegations surfaced in September 2020 when ex-player Azeem Rafiq said discrimination made him feel suicidal.

Gale won an unfair dismissal claim against Yorkshire in June after being sacked by the club last year.

The 38-year-old denied all allegations in a statement on Wednesday.

"I was very disappointed when Azeem's original allegations were first brought to my attention," Gale said in his first statement since being dismissed by the club.

"For the avoidance of any doubt, I deny each and every allegation that Azeem raised with YCCC and then via the ECB suggesting that I have used racist language and bullied Azeem."

+Quote this post
PeteFromLeeds
post 29th June 2022, 08:43 PM
Post #57
Group icon
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
User: 23,247

I don't think I really add much by saying this shouldn't be happening - I think the Hamilton incident was in Portugese and Piquet claims he didn't use the word with racist intent, but I really hope this incident pushes him to think more about the connotations of the words he's using before saying them.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 23rd July 2022, 04:02 PM
Post #58
Group icon

An independent review is expected to find that there is evidence of institutional racism in Scottish cricket.

The investigation was commissioned by SportScotland last year and is due to be published on Monday.

It follows allegations - some made by all-time leading wicket-taker Majid Haq - of racism and discrimination.

During the review a number of referrals and allegations were passed to Police Scotland.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 23rd July 2022, 09:04 PM
Post #59
Group icon

RFU launches investigation after Luther Burrell’s racism in rugby revelations.

+Quote this post
Mack.
post 24th July 2022, 12:49 PM
Post #60
Group icon

Cricket Scotland's board has resigned a day ahead of the publication of a review of racism in the sport.

It is expected to report findings of institutional racism in the Scottish game.

The directors resigned with immediate effect on Sunday morning.

"We are all truly sorry and have apologised publicly to everyone who has experienced racism, or any other form of discrimination, in cricket in Scotland," they said.

+Quote this post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 04:48 PM