BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
18 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Anime, Fall 2023: AoT finale i guess
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Iz 🌟
post Oct 1 2019, 01:17 AM
Post #281
Group icon
I'm a paragon so don't perceive me
User: 12,929
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Sep 29 2019, 04:17 PM) *
Non Non Biyori is the only anime that I ever watched based solely on the strength of the band that composed the opening themes (nano.RIPE, whom I've entered into Buzzjack-related contests on occasion), and one that I rather enjoyed. A relaxing slice-of-life comedy that made me want to spend some time in rural Japan (up until the point I realised that the chances of them knowing even basic English was minute, and the chances of me learning enough Japanese to get by was even less likely). Would love to travel on one of those small trains.

I managed, on my second-last day there, to get on a rather rural train heading out of Kyoto to the mountain village above! The village at the top wasn't quite the beautiful open plan flat plain that anime like Non Non Biyori and Higurashi make look so attractive, it was more of a village leading up to a shrine but at parts it did feel a bit like I was briefly in rural Japan.

It's a wonderful comedy, I'd agree, it makes it looks like the most wonderful chill place to spend some time in the country, and a cool OP yes.

I'd consider picking up Psycho Pass S3 but I still haven't gotten around to S2 because I kept hearing awful things about it and it's been a while such that I'd probably want to rewatch the brilliant Season 1 first. Maybe I'll try and hear if S3 turns out awful or good.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post Oct 13 2019, 10:57 PM
Post #282
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 10,030
I've justed watched Chihayafuru seasons 1 & 2. I was pleasantly surprised and instantly hooked by them. I've learnt the third season will start in a week or so, 6 years after the second - which I am very excited about! It's a "sport" type anime about a card game called Karuta. It honestly surprised me at how good it was. It's been on my to watch list for a while but never really gave it much of a look when choosing what next to watch. It has some really great tension building and some very big highs. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't watched it.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Oct 14 2019, 01:36 AM
Post #283
Group icon
Seen some people posting about Chihayafuru, I'm going to have to get round to it eventually.

I just went through O Maidens In Your Savage Season from last season very quickly. Very strong coming-of-age romance/sex comedy series, 5 great main characters, doesn't shy away from potentially controversial topics and has some really cute main relationships.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Oct 14 2019, 10:28 PM
Post #284
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
User: 10,455
QUOTE(Envoirment @ Oct 13 2019, 11:57 PM) *
I've justed watched Chihayafuru seasons 1 & 2. I was pleasantly surprised and instantly hooked by them. I've learnt the third season will start in a week or so, 6 years after the second - which I am very excited about! It's a "sport" type anime about a card game called Karuta. It honestly surprised me at how good it was. It's been on my to watch list for a while but never really gave it much of a look when choosing what next to watch. It has some really great tension building and some very big highs. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't watched it.

Yay! I watched the 1st and 2nd series when they aired back in 2012/13 (see earlier in this thread), so glad you finally picked it up, just in time for the new series. How long did it take you to get through all 48 or so episodes? I'm interested in what happens in series 3, as there was something that was hinted at in the 2nd season that may come to the forefront in this run - whilst Chihaya has desperately wanted to be reunited playing karuta with both Arata & Taichi like when they were kids, it is clear that Taichi doesn't want to be involved in a future than involves Arata in any way. I remember that being very explicitly signposted in one of Taichi's inner monologues, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's going to be a key conflict in this series.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post Oct 15 2019, 03:37 PM
Post #285
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Oct 14 2019, 11:28 PM) *
Yay! I watched the 1st and 2nd series when they aired back in 2012/13 (see earlier in this thread), so glad you finally picked it up, just in time for the new series. How long did it take you to get through all 48 or so episodes? I'm interested in what happens in series 3, as there was something that was hinted at in the 2nd season that may come to the forefront in this run - whilst Chihaya has desperately wanted to be reunited playing karuta with both Arata & Taichi like when they were kids, it is clear that Taichi doesn't want to be involved in a future than involves Arata in any way. I remember that being very explicitly signposted in one of Taichi's inner monologues, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's going to be a key conflict in this series.

It took me a couple weeks, but I didn't watch every day. I have a feeling Taichi vs Arata is going to happen at some point for a Master qualifier. Taichi seems a lot more invested in Karuta now and he just reached Class A at the end of the second season. I can't wait to see how far Ayase goes in the Queen qualifier now that her hand is fully healed. It's going to get so good! I really want to read the manga, but going to hold off now I know season 3 is very near. I'm hoping there'll be some sort of plot twist and Ayase is actually a lesbian laugh.gif I don't want her to have to pick between Arata or Taichi sad.gif

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 1 2019, 08:09 PM
Post #286
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
Exciting news for UK anime fans who want to see more mainstream prominence for the genre, as Channel 4 has bought the rights to over 100 hours of anime. The first bunch of titles they've launched include Cowboy Bebop, Tokyo Ghoul & the first series of Inuyasha, with Kill La Kill & Sword Art Online to follow at a later date.

I don't think these will be shown on Channel 4, or any of their sister channels, but pleased to see them picking this up nonetheless.

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post Nov 10 2019, 02:39 PM
Post #287
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I've just picked up Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun from this season. It's made me laugh quite a few times and is just so ridiculous. laugh.gif It's about Suzuki Iruma who's parents sell him to a demon. That demon then makes him his grandson and he enrolls in a demon school. He ends up getting into a lot of trouble despite his attempts at not standing out, but he always comes out on top. It's currently 6 epsidoes in and I can't wait to see how the season turns out.

Also, I've been watching the third season of Chihayafuru and it's so SO so good! It really gets into the thick of it from the get go. It also helps that there were two weeks in a row that showed 2 episodes. The third season is definitely setting up to being the best seaosn so far. Which I find hard to believe. From season to season, it gets better and better. wub.gif

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Nov 26 2019, 09:55 PM
Post #288
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
Just back from the cinema seeing Promare, the first feature film from Studio Trigger (Kill La Kill, Little Witch Academia). It was absolutely fantastic - luscious visuals and a story that is very much in the vibes of Kill La Kill, there's so much going on on the screen at all times that you can't take it all in. Worth seeing if you get the chance.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Nov 27 2019, 01:05 AM
Post #289
Group icon
I've heard so many people talking about Promare. Need to see it!

Just yesterday got around to finishing the anime version of Made In Abyss, a fantastic imaginative fantasy story from a couple of years ago (one of the most unique fantasy stories I've seen in anime full stop), a little in the same space as The Promised Neverland actually.

Which is good timing as a sequel film for that first season of the anime will air early next year.

as for fall shows I'm only watching Houkago Saikoro Dice Club (fun cute show about board games) and the new MHA. Want to do that thing where I finish off all the shows I'm currently watching by the end of the year.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 1 2020, 12:13 PM
Post #290
Group icon
So a month in and these are the shows I'm watching in the first anime season of the 2020s, in order of priority:

New shows that I've watched an episode at least of so far:

Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei shitemita. - otherwise known by the awful but hilarious English title of Science Fell In Love So I Tried To Prove It, or more shortly as just Rikekoi, this I would mark as the spiritual successor to Kaguya-Sama last year, but with a hefty dose of teaching its viewers the scientific method at the same time.

Two absolute nerds in postgrad are clearly attracted to each other, and being 'science-types', instead of being normal and getting it on, start a grand experiment to prove that they are in love with each other, involving the rest of the lab with them. It's a pretty hilarious comedy, it does depend on how funny you find the central gag of smart people being adorably socially clueless but I'm loving it so far, it's very wholesome.

Re:Zero - Starting Life In Another World's reairing of Season 1 - To prepare for Season 2 of this masterpiece finally getting a release in April, season 1 is being rereleased as a director's cut in 13 hour-long episodes with promises of new content towards the end of it, so I'm using the opportunity to rewatch it and I'm delighted to say that it's still one of the best shows released in the past few years, such complex characters and Emilia and Subaru especially are brilliantly vulnerable young people in way over their heads.

Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na!
- Done by the team of Science SARU and Masaaki Yuasa who did the very critically acclaimed Ping Pong (which I need to watch some day) and Devilman Crybaby, this has been getting a stonking reception. Three girls create a club in their incredibly weirdly designed school and the entire series seems to be a love letter to the art of making animation. The way this one does incredible things with the setting is mindblowing, creativity oozes out of this show.

Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun - A bit of a more straight anime comedy on the side of school ghost stories, the last time I watched a proper one of these was Dusk Maiden Of Amnesia, and I am feeling it, Hanako is not what I expected, a very interesting character, I'm interested to see where it goes after watching the first episode yesterday.

Am thinking of possibly picking up Somali to Mori no Kamisama (an iyashikei like NNB from what I've heard) and In/Spectre but I'm not sure, I have the time right now but this many airing shows is unusual for me.

~

But then on old shows I watched Baccano and Ano Hana very quickly earlier in the month, a fun Americana adventure story for the former and a really lovely pretty artwork + story for the latter, creating my first avatar that's not random Twitter art for a while x

And then the big one is that I was finishing up the first season of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and got talking to my stepbrother about it and he encouraged me to continue even though I wasn't a huge fan of the first season, finding it a little too slow.

So I started on Stardust Crusaders (JJBA Part 3 but season 2 because the first two parts were covered in season 1) and it's just completely different. In a great way, I'm really getting invested in the journey and the fact that we now have Stands is so much more interesting, it's made me watch 11 episodes in short succession, I reckon I'm on board the Jojo train all the way now and I still have so many episodes left before I catch up wub.gif

Also of interest to music fans, if you weren't aware, the ending theme for the first season of Stardust Crusaders is none other than The Bangles' 'Walk Like An Egyptian', which makes a really weird but pleasant change from the standard OP/ED stuff.

~

by the way, spring season is looking STACKED, sequel seasons for Re:Zero (as mentioned), Kaguya-sama, Oregairu that I'll definitely be watching and a big load of sequel seasons for shows I haven't got around to watching yet like Fruits Basket and SAO's Alicization arcs.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Feb 19 2020, 07:10 PM
Post #291
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
Not the most exciting cour for me, alongside the continuing series Chihayafuru, Welcome To Demon School, Iruma-kun & My Hero Academia, I've been watching the new series of volleyball series Haikyu!! (still annoyed they changed its bumpers), and the stylistically different ghost story Hanako-kun and Interspecies Reviewers.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Feb 22 2020, 05:38 PM
Post #292
Group icon
me too on that last one ph34r.gif it has no right to be as entertaining as it is.

I love this cour though, I feel a little unusual out of those I've seen but I like that it's full of quieter new shows that aren't sequels, particularly as the rest of the year seems filled to the brim with them.

Hanako's certainly a good example of that, I loved episode 6 a couple of weeks ago. My only criticism is that it feels sometimes that I'm not watching an anime adaptation so much as watching an animated manga but the story and the characters make up for that, and I don't see that sort of thing too often.

plus my Jojo addiction is getting out of hand, six months for me to complete the first season, and then I finished the twice as long part 3 in just under 3 weeks and I'm well into part 4 (Diamond Is Unbreakable, complete with more music references like 'Crazy Diamond' and the ending theme being Savage Garden) already, I'll be caught up about a year quicker than I expected at this rate.

Also I'm definitely going to start Chihayafuru season 1 very soon, people have worn me down enough.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Mar 10 2020, 06:50 AM
Post #293
Group icon
Re:Zero season 2 has been delayed to July sad.gif Most awaited anime season for me in years and the coronavirus had to hit it. I'd rather it not be rushed but still, this sucks. Hope Kaguya and Oregairu are still alright.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Mar 18 2020, 11:25 PM
Post #294
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
Anyone else watching Magia Record?

+Quote this post
Envoirment
post Mar 19 2020, 12:46 AM
Post #295
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
I've been meaning to continue watching Chihayafuru season 3, but keep getting distracted.

I'ved watched the entire Black Lagoon series - it was really good and better than I expected!

I gave in and finally watched Vinland Saga. I binge watched it in a couple days - it was amazing. From what I gather, season 2 won't be coming out until 2021 at the earliest, but I need it now. sad.gif

I also watched Mushikago no Cagaster (Cagaster of an Insect Cage). It's a netflix original and it I enjoyed it more than I expected.

Shame Re:Zero season 2 is delayed!

Unforunately my to watch list has been growing much faster than I've been watching for the last few months. So many series to watch or coming up that I'm excited for!

+Quote this post
EternalBlue
post Mar 19 2020, 06:24 AM
Post #296
Group icon
New Entry
User: 103,580
eagerly waiting for attack on titan season 4!!!

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Mar 19 2020, 11:04 AM
Post #297
Group icon
Vinland Saga S2 and Attack On Titan S4 I don't expect to hear much from for a while, but however long it takes, I'll be ready.

QUOTE(J00ps @ Mar 18 2020, 11:25 PM) *
Anyone else watching Magia Record?

That's something that was a little further down my list even though I'm a relatively new Madoka fan, I only watched the original series last year and from what little I've heard about it this is something quite different? How is it?

up to Jojo part 5: Golden Wind and it just gets more camp kink.gif . LOVED the end of part 4 though, so, so much. Best part. The sad thing is I 'only' have 30-ish more episodes until I need Part 6 to be announced, I really never expected to become a Jojo stan hungry for more after I found the first season so average.

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Mar 19 2020, 07:59 PM
Post #298
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
QUOTE(I. :II: z @ Mar 19 2020, 11:04 AM) *
That's something that was a little further down my list even though I'm a relatively new Madoka fan, I only watched the original series last year and from what little I've heard about it this is something quite different? How is it?

Mixed, tone wise. Comes off as a slightly lighter & softer redo but has moments where it threatens to be more similar to the original. I'm not sure what I think of it.

It gives me a bit of a vibe of Steins;Gate ie. based off of a harem game, but that's pretty weird bc afaik it isn't laugh.gif I'm hoping it levels up into something a bit darker soon but it's hard to say.

If you like Madoka (& are sequestered still a bunch) you might like the fanfic continuation To The Stars. Its complex & one of my favourite things I've ever read.

+Quote this post
Iz 🌟
post Mar 27 2020, 05:01 AM
Post #299
Group icon
QUOTE(J00ps @ Mar 19 2020, 07:59 PM) *
If you like Madoka (& are sequestered still a bunch) you might like the fanfic continuation To The Stars. Its complex & one of my favourite things I've ever read.

I've saved that and will try to give it a go at some point.

This great updated recommendations guide (marketed for those with a lot of free time due to quarantine) just showed up on reddit, it's a bit large so just the link: https://i.redd.it/39yc055xk1p41.png

Sections for all, including anime newbies, upbeat, chill and family - and that family section of the guide is good for anyone, I recently started Cardcaptor Sakura because... why not with this time, it's good.

Winter 2020 is coming to an end, I think Eizouken finished fairly strongly in particular. I'm also getting very very excited for Kaguya season 2, new promo image, it's going to be glorious.

+Quote this post
Brett-Butler
post Mar 27 2020, 08:29 AM
Post #300
Group icon
Howdy, disco citizens
The Konosuba film is now on Crunchyroll, which is worth watching if you enjoyed the series, especially if your favourite character is Megumin, as she's the main focus of it.

+Quote this post

18 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:33 PM