BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Doctor Who • Can You Hear Me?, S12E07
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
WhoOdyssey
post Feb 6 2020, 02:47 PM
Post #1
A dead mouse (from my cat)
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 67,771

2 more episodes before the 2-part finale!

Synopsis: From ancient Syria to present day Sheffield, and out into the wilds of space, something is stalking the Doctor and infecting people’s nightmares.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Feb 7 2020, 10:02 PM
Post #2
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

Very intrigued by this one! Episodes involving dreams have a strong track record (see Amy's Choice, and SJA episode The Nightmare Man)

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Feb 7 2020, 10:06 PM
Post #3
Buffy/Charmed
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

I hope the dream master is back!

+Quote Post
Calum
post Feb 8 2020, 03:15 PM
Post #4
nabad
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 18,316

QUOTE(JosephStyles @ Feb 7 2020, 10:02 PM) *
Very intrigued by this one! Episodes involving dreams have a strong track record (see Amy's Choice, and SJA episode The Nightmare Man)

omg you chose Amy's Choice over Last Christmas, no !!

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Feb 8 2020, 03:16 PM
Post #5
❤️❤️➕🟦
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

Both are amazing!

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Feb 8 2020, 03:19 PM
Post #6
Buffy/Charmed
   No Gallery Pics

The only bits I hate in Last Christmas are the bit where rhey have some man slobber over a turkey leg to make a point and Danta slurping his tea over and over.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Feb 8 2020, 03:24 PM
Post #7
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

QUOTE(Klaus @ Feb 8 2020, 03:16 PM) *
Both are amazing!

Agreed, and Amy's Choice simply came to mind first...!!

+Quote Post
Calum
post Feb 8 2020, 05:32 PM
Post #8
nabad

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Feb 9 2020, 07:11 PM
Post #9
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

oh no they’ve used the same location as Orphan 55, I’m having nightmarish flashbacks!!

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Feb 9 2020, 08:01 PM
Post #10
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

The Doctor‘s reaction to Graham at the end is a big mood.

Loved the episode, a nice character piece for a change but still very atmospheric and spooky! Although the usual problem of the villains being defeated too quickly! Definitely seems to be paving the way for at least a Yaz/Ryan exit. This episode of course leads directly into next week but I’ve seen rumours that episode 8 also leads directly into the finale.

+Quote Post
Calum
post Feb 9 2020, 08:02 PM
Post #11
nabad

Not the Dregs actually being in this episode though, omg I howled laugh.gif!!

Overall though I thought that was fantastic!! Such an improvement on last week, however its only downfall was that it was literally resolved in a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it moment...

+Quote Post
Calum
post Feb 9 2020, 08:03 PM
Post #12
nabad

Jodie in that scene with Graham at the end though was genuinely hilarious - that characterisation was perfect and we need more of that!!

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Feb 9 2020, 08:07 PM
Post #13
❤️❤️➕🟦
   No Gallery Pics

It was great to see it touch on mental health too wub.gif

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Feb 9 2020, 08:23 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 19,585

Now that was the character development we wanted! I’m dead excited to get next week’s out of the way though so we can have the finale laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Feb 9 2020, 08:32 PM
Post #15
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

That episode had some really great moments and was a refreshing change of pace, but I can't help thinking it could've been so much better! The concept of using fears of characters is always such a great idea for any series, but there were some issues here.

Namely, too quick of a defeat of the bad guys and one I didn't entirely understand either as it was wrapped up so quick I couldn't even follow (were their fears turned against them? Did they go back into the sphere? That part moved too fast). The God plot was a bit so-so for me, I don't think whoever the woman was was necessary as he had much more presence and was scary on his own (the fingers were a little phallic but anyway) and the King Kong/Alien hybrids seemed a bit superfluous as well. We did get a timeless child mention (yay arcs) but I really wanted to see more of the Doctor's fears, it was over so quick and could've given us an insight into her fears as she's been a closed book ever since Ruth.

But anyway, the good parts...was fantastic to finally see some development for the companions, they felt like real, fleshed out characters and the dream sequences were all extremely captivating if brief, the scene with the Doctor and the companions at the end was amusing but it was powerful as it did speak volumes of how distant she is and how little she can emphasise with them and its clearly starting to affect them, similar to Capaldi's incarnation and Clara. I hope this comes into play in the finale and has some major impact on the team as its an arc that's been built up well over the last few weeks. Had some gorgeous animation and production design throughout as well with a real creepy feel and no preachiness and a focus on mental health and humans overcoming barriers which was really great.

So while it wasn't perfect, it was still really good and I'd say this was the second best after the Judoon episode. My gosh this series has been all over the place quality wise, I hope next week's is a little less filler-y than it seems.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Feb 9 2020, 08:50 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Feb 9 2020, 08:32 PM) *
Had some gorgeous animation and production design throughout as well with a real creepy feel and no preachiness and a focus on mental health and humans overcoming barriers which was really great.

I loved the Hitchhiker's Guide-style animation laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Botchia
post Feb 9 2020, 09:11 PM
Post #17
I Drink Wine
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

Definitely an improvement this week and it definitely feels like we're gearing up to Yaz and Ryan leaving after this series. As others have pointed out, my main qualm was that it was resolved too quickly, but I appreciated the episode as a whole and particularly after how awful last week's episode was!

+Quote Post
BridgeCow
post Feb 9 2020, 09:13 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

Apart from that literally 30 second resolution I thought that was pretty good! Some really interesting ideas, even if they weren’t dealt with too amazingly. Could imagine this being a really good 2 parter tbh. The character development was FINALLy really nice to see, but it didn’t feel a bit disjointed and tacked on, appreciated none the less though.

+Quote Post
Anita Hanjaab
post Feb 9 2020, 10:13 PM
Post #19
Buffy/Charmed
   No Gallery Pics

Sp basically, this episode answered why the Doctor takes these random people with her: loneliness and someone to talk to/ impress? It even tackled the fact that she is very distant from them.

+Quote Post
ElectroBoy
post Feb 9 2020, 10:27 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 3,002
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Calum @ Feb 9 2020, 08:03 PM) *
Jodie in that scene with Graham at the end though was genuinely hilarious - that characterisation was perfect and we need more of that!!

I thought that scene was awful; Fear of Cancer returning and needed some comforting words, being used for Comedy effect in the Doctor's reaction. Didn't really do it for me.

The Development of Yaz was great and visually the episode looked great. On the whole though I found it a bit of a mess; dull in places too. Poor Toisin Cole still hasn't learned how to open his mouth to speak or emote any of his lines.

But really the end scene between the Doctor and Graham was the real low. Yea she is alien, but the scene jarred majorly for me and felt tonally ignorant and misplaced.

Judoon is still the highlight of a very uneven series for me

This post has been edited by ElectroBoy: Feb 9 2020, 10:37 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:41 AM