BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Workfare
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Workfare
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total votes: 2
Guests cannot vote 
vidcapper
post Feb 22 2018, 07:38 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Paul Hyett
User: 364
What do you think of the idea of Workfare?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workfare_in_the_United_Kingdom

Personally, I find the whole notion of someone already down on their luck being coerced into becoming little more than a medieval serf, appalling. Often the work is little different to that done by criminals on Community Service. Also, it is so easy for unscrupulous employers to abuse, as in 'do exactly what we want or we'll get you sanctioned'.

Yes, there are a small percentage of people who are content to leech off the state - but surely they should be specifically targeted?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 22 2018, 01:10 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
there are plenty of jobs. Being "too good for" or "too proud" to take menial jobs doesn't mean society should be forced to subsidise you indefinitely till you get something you prefer to do. Living Wage is a must, but beyond that you take what you can get till something better comes along, or move.

hands up those who have never worked for low wages in factories, or anywhere else?

I realise that sounds almost Tory, but it's better for you as a person and for your CV to do any work than no work. I speak as someone who was involuntarily on the dole and depressed for 2 years till I got work in a factory for 2 years, then moved to a part of the UK where there were more jobs....

+Quote this post
Suedehead2
post Feb 22 2018, 04:14 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 3,272
The idea is ridiculous. If the work is there to be done, people should be employed to do it for a proper wage.

+Quote this post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 22 2018, 09:32 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 17,376
QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Feb 22 2018, 04:14 PM) *
The idea is ridiculous. If the work is there to be done, people should be employed to do it for a proper wage.

I have two minds on the principle - if the employer is taking the piss, or the government is taking the piss, in terms of wages (which is what is being asked I suppose) then that's a big no no and I agree with you. If the job is state supported/paid (for example the local co-op employed back office.shelf stackers for many years via a government programme, people who had learning disabilities which would make them difficult to employ but which gives them a reason to get up and get a sense of purpose, or to encourage people back into the workplace and out of a rut) then the intention is well-meaning.

Suffice to say, those co-op "jobs" are now gone and it's a reduced head-count of staff employed now - so I presume the Tories have killed it off in favour of slave labour as per the article as a sort of "punishment/encouragement" (delete as appropriate) to not stay on benefits.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:50 AM