BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Spice Girls/Solo Album Reviews, Forever Now Posted, what should I review next?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Nina West
post Feb 6 2023, 01:19 PM
Post #1
We're all Glitter and Tears in the Moonlight...
Group: Members
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

I have reviewed several of the Spice Girls back catalogues, started with Emma Bunton's 'Free Me' back in 2021 & several others. These reviews are also in their respective album threads & I just wanted to put them all into 1 thread so that people can look & comment on them without going through the pages.

Here's a ranking of the album's I've reviewed so far =

1. Spice Girls – Spice – 9.0
2. Emma – Free Me – 8.916
3. Spice Girls - Spiceworld - 8.9
4. Melanie C – Northern Star – 8.75
5. Geri Halliwell – Schizophonic – 8.3
6. Spice Girls - Forever - 8.272
7. Victoria Beckham – Victoria Beckham – 7.666
8. Emma Bunton – Life In Mono – 7.071
9. Mel B – Hot – 6.909

This post has been edited by Nina West: Feb 13 2023, 09:13 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Feb 6 2023, 01:27 PM
Post #2
   No Gallery Pics

My review for Emma Bunton's Free Me

01. Free Me - 10/10
This album opens with title track & lead single, ‘Free Me,’ which opens with slight jazzy tinge & sultry strings-laden sounds, then switching into a heavenly chorus & gorgeous horn sound. Emma’s vocals sound sweet & blends wonderfully with the rich instruments found on this track. All of which gives this a wonderful 60’s feeling, which wouldn’t go a miss as a Bond theme.

02. Maybe - 10/10
Next up is perhaps the pinnacle of the album & not only one of the most infectious pop songs of the 00’s, but the best song Emma Bunton has ever recorded. Of course, this had to be the album’s 2nd single with its fantastic fast pace. And this is thanks to a bossa nova beat that includes light drums, pianos & horns, that of course carries on the 60’s sound of the lead single, but far more effective on this with some wonderful instrumentation here, along with some rich and warm vocals.

03. I’ll Be There - 10/10
The 3rd single follows, and this is a far more mellow song, which allows Emma’s softer and gentle vocals carry the tune through the verses, before heading into a dramatic belting chorus with fantastic instrumental breakdown that gives a wonderful nod to Motown.

04. Tomorrow - 9/10
This returns to the gentle bossa nova style, yet a slower one than the one on ‘Maybe’. Emma makes light work of the vocals here & gets some beautiful harmonies into the mix also. Along with catchy 60’s melodies that makes this yet another strong offering on this album.

05. Breathing - 10/10
This again follows in a similar vein as some of the previous tracks with that 60’s bossa nova feel, however when the beat comes in for the chorus, it feels very much contemporary with subtle maracas, light drums & beautiful strings that weaves over Emma’s rich vocals perfectly, without overpowering them. This could have made a fantastic single choice.

06. Crickets Sing for Anamaria - 10/10
Up next is the album’s 4th & final single, which was a translated cover of Os Grillos by Marcos Valle. Which despite being an odd yet inspired choice of cover, this manages to be a fun track, which Emma truly makes her own as she glides through the difficult, quick chorus with ease. It deviates from the 60’s feel of the previous tracks in that its very Latin influenced but remains a very unique song & one of Emma’s most interesting offerings to date.

07. No Sign of Life - 8/10
Another strong offering laced with strings and contemporary beats, with plenty of space for Emma’s vocals to showcase her power & range. The song itself is really nice with solid production that fits in perfectly with its surroundings.

08. Who The Hell Are You - 8/10
Emma adopts some attitude on this next offering, as it’s ushered in by synths that gives it a slight 80’s sound, yet still retains a Motown beat, which of course carries the catchy chorus perfectly.

09. Lay Your Love On Me - 8/10
This is a more sexy & sensual number, that definitely has more of the 60s feeling through a number of musical instruments, including piano & hand claps. All of which makes this quite a nice little track that perhaps shows a hint of something a little bit different.

10. Amazing - 9/10
A luxuriant bossa nova opens up this next track alongside Emma’s duet partner Luis Fonsi on this gentle number that gives the pair space to really showcase their warm and rich vocals together and individually. This is yet another fantastic offering & firm album highlight.

11. You Are - 7/10
This is a nice catchy little number with a gorgeous bossa nova melody, but doesn’t quite manage to stand out as well as some of the album’s far better moments.

12. Something So Beautiful - 8/10
The album closes with this rather beautiful yet delicate number, where Emma’s light & whispery vocals sounds fantastic pitched against soaring strings, bellowing brass sections, and harps. All of which makes this a perfect ending to such a wonderful album.

Avg.8.916

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Feb 6 2023, 01:34 PM
Post #3
   No Gallery Pics

Here is my review for Melanie C's debut solo album Northern Star

01. Go - 9/10
The album opens with the drum beat & bass of track “Go”, before breaking into chugging guitars & chimes before Melanie affirms her new career path if you will & its exciting & unexpected at the same time. Along William Orbit’s trademark sound echoes throughout that makes this track is far different from anything on the first 2 Spice Girls albums & that’s a good thing as this is Melanie remerging as a solo artist. A fantastic start to the album.

02. Northern Star - 10/10
Up next is title track & the second single which is a great track for Melanie to show off her warm vocal skills to full effect on this rather tender yet haunting ballad awash with a beautiful string arrangement & a heartfelt melody. This was a smart decision releasing this as the 2nd single as it showcases a softer more artistic side to Melanie C, further proving her versatility as a solo artist.

03. Goin’ Down - 7/10
The album’s lead single is up next. This was a hard introduction to the new Melanie C and was quite a shock to many (including me). Laced with distorted guitars & synth sirens mixed with Melanie’s powerful yet effected vocals that are brash & in your face that certainly makes a bold yet artistic statement. This was a very risky choice for a lead single that may have been a bit too out there to fully pay off (given its swift plummet down the charts), but with this & the follow up singles, she did get to embody everything she wanted to be in a solo performer.

04. I Turn to You - 10/10
The album’s 4th single is next here & fared so well in its single & remix forms that both versions ended being featured on here. The track is an absolute belter, especially in its single form with its pulsating baselines, dramatic strings & euphoric melodies. Then of course the mixtures of various sounds such as electronica, dance, house & trance brings everything together beautifully into this glorious number.

05. If That Were Me - 8/10
Slowing things down now with this slower ballad which became the album’s 5th & final single. The track opens with gentle acoustic guitars & almost entirely stripped back production is this song that’s solely focused on the lyrics (which don’t all entirely lands their emotional impact needed), yet creates something rather simple, intimate & yet very thought provoking. Don’t think this fully worked as a single & perhaps would have been better suited staying on the album.

06. Never Be the Same Again - 10/10
This track has a different feel to everything we’ve heard so far on this album with its laid-back R&B grooves & perhaps that’s thanks to the late Lisa “Left Eye” Lobes involvement may have influenced it. The song was the album’s 3rd single & became a real turning point in Melanie’s career as a solo artist & quite rightfully so as this song is simply superb with its hypnotic melody, silky smooth vocals, brilliant mid-tempo beats & layered harmonies. Then there’s of course Left Eye’s cool rhythmic raps that flows brilliantly with the rest of the solid production. Both artists are on top form here & this becoming Mel’s first solo #1 was well deserved & brought the album to the forefront with the record buying public.

07. Why - 7/10
After 5 singles in a row, we finally get to another non-single with this trip-hop leaning number that starts off quite simple before evolving into a guitar driven climax. The mid-tempo beats are fine but takes a long time getting off the ground.

08. Suddenly Monday - 9/10
This next number opens with a bouncy piano & bassline that gives this a rather uplifting feel on this brit-pop flavoured track & along with a rather chirpy brass section really gives a warm happy feel. Good song, a firm highlight.

09. Ga Ga - 8/10
Chugging guitars & vintage vocal effects gives this track a catchy rock sound that sits on the album pretty well & contrasts quite nicely with the lead single – which is probably why it was its b-side.

10. Be The One - 7/10
Another slower number that’s ushered in by acoustic guitars, swiftly followed by Melanie’s tender vocals & some great vocal harmonies. It’s a simple track that suits her voice well but doesn’t quite stand out amongst the albums far showier moments.

11. Closer - 10/10
This is a stunning track that I didn’t fully get on first listen, but after hearing it again….WTF was I thinking as it’s simply gorgeous with its atmospheric production, beautiful Latin influences & delicate melodies which makes this a firm standout moment.

12. Feel The Sun - 10/10
Thankfully this album closes on an almighty high with this fantastic track. A gorgeous number with soaring strings, rich vocals & excellent production that truly resonates with you the listener. This is a stunning track & one of the album’s very best.

Avg.8.75

This post has been edited by Nina West: Feb 8 2023, 12:54 PM

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Feb 6 2023, 01:43 PM
Post #4
   No Gallery Pics

Here's my review of Geri Halliwell's debut solo album Schizophonic

01. Look At Me - 10/10
The album kicks off in style with lead single ‘Look At Me’, where Geri faces her demons head on & launches herself as a solo artist with something that could only have been the lead for this project with such a statement attached to it. The song is pop with a little bit of Jazz & a whole lot of theatrics thrown into the mix. Even way back in 1999 nothing else sounded like this on the radio, which made this stand out in a good way. Geri’s strong & bold vocals injects some personality into this rather catchy number that doesn’t take itself too seriously & even on her own she still has that fun energy she had while still with the group. Not only was this a fantastic start to the album, but a great starting point to kick off a new chapter in Geri’s life.

02. Lift Me Up - 10/10
Next up is the 3rr single & Geri’s first solo ballad effort & it’s a pretty track with a sweeping chorus & uplifting production. Geri’s husky tones during the verses adds a nice touch, then stretches her vocals during the soaring climax & yes sometimes her ambition outmatches her ability, but what this lacks in technique the song more than makes up for it with effort & a whole lot of heart. A great single & a well earned chart topper.

03. Walkaway - 8/10
Another down-tempo track is up next with a nice mellow atmosphere throughout which gives the meaningful lyrics a calm relaxing vibe, giving it a very dreamlike quality. The orchestra adds a touch of class to the whole thing, as well as Geri’s emotional vocals which gives this that extra lift. Okay this isn’t quite as strong as the previous 2 tracks, but still a decent effort.

04. Mi Chico Latino - 10/10
Geri makes a play for the Latin pop market now as she taps into her Spanish roots on this sensual yet playful number that of course became the album’s 2nd single & gave Geri her first solo chart topper & it was simply well deserved. This makes a nice contrast to the lead single with its dramatic guitar strums, hissing maracas & well crafted verses that are delivered with fleeting passion & even the Spanish spoken middle-eight adds a charming flair to the proceedings (even if some of the translations are questionable at best). None of that matters as this feels like a more confident pop song that’s structured around the strengths of her vocals.

05. Goodnight Kiss - 8/10
Another strong number follows with this strutting cabaret torch song which is definitely the sexiest song on the album with Geri’s sultry yet playful vocals goes beautifully with the Jazzy production. A fun little number that captures that sensual midnight lounge singer feel wonderfully.

06. Bag It Up - 10/10
The girl power anthem ‘Bag It Up’ follows next, which became the album’s 4th & final single, as well as her 3rd solo chart topper & therefore setting Geri’s transition from Spice Girl to solo artist in stone, making her an almighty force to be reckoned with. With its disco-pastiche production, the track dials up the camp factor to an almighty extreme as it explodes into life during the joyous chorus, then dials itself back for the verses. The track has a fantastic energy about it & Geri’s vibrant charisma really sells the track’s message. Brilliant track nothing more, nothing less.

07. Sometime - 7/10
A rather nice sincere song that begins with church organs & soft vocals, then builds to a more rock tone with a shouty delivery, before it eases back into its mellow tones which becomes rather jarring at first, but it does give it a rather interesting flavour to it & the melodies are quite nice.

08. Let Me Love You - 7/10
This next track begins with some odd Bollywood styled chants that seem way too out there at first, but when the sitars & Indian influenced beats kicks in it becomes a more conventional pop song, yet with a more interesting vibe that sets itself apart from its surroundings & plus Geri adds some great vocal ab-libs towards the end of the track.

09. Someone’s Watching Over Me - 6/10
A delicate yet moving feel good ballad that has a beautiful sentiment attached to it, along with an okay R&B tinge to it, but on the whole the track fails to go anywhere interesting.

10. You’re In A Bubble - 7/10
Probably the album’s most risqué track due to Geri’s questionable rapping (if you can call it that). This is very tongue & cheek with its twisted rhythm patterns & at best I find this a rather cute number, but not something I’d ever go back to again unfortunately – It’s a rather curious ending to a rather enjoyable album.

Avg.8.3

This post has been edited by Nina West: Feb 8 2023, 12:53 PM

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Feb 6 2023, 01:49 PM
Post #5
   No Gallery Pics

Here is my review of Victoria's Beckham's selt-titled debut album:

01. Not Such an Innocent Girl - 10/10
The album opens with the lead single ‘Not Such an Innocent Girl’, a great introduction to the new attitude that Victoria was going for here, shaking off her Posh Spice persona & showing that there’s more to her with this cool catchy R&B pop track with crisp & polished production & confident yet vocals. This is a brilliant effort that sets the right mood for what’s to come & didn’t deserve the unfair treatment that it got upon its release.

02. A Mind of Its Own - 9/10
The second track is also the 2nd & final single from this album. This takes a very swift change of pace to the lead single & showcases a different side to Victoria with this mid-tempo track with a laid-back spoken intro, a catchy chorus & some beautiful vocal tones that shows some rarely-seen vulnerability. This track is light & summery thanks to some tinkling acoustic guitars with a wonderful flow throughout. However I don’t think this should have been the 2nd single, she should have gone with something more upbeat first & then have this as single #3.

03. That Kind of Girl - 8/10
Slowing things down with this mellow 90’s love jam number with a smooth, relaxed bassline & soft sensual vocals. This song wanders along nicely & love the throwback feel it has throughout. Not as strong as the previous 2 tracks, but a decent album track nonetheless.

04. Like That - 9/10
The beat picks up with some cello, harpsichord synths & slick R&B beats. Victoria’s vocals sound stronger & richer on this rather sassy number with its catchy bridge before she brings on the attitude for the catchy chorus. A firm album highlight & could have made for a great single.

05. Girlfriend - 7/10
Another R&B tinged track that’s clearly influenced on the then emerging Garage scene, with its hard beats, aggressive vocals & a pretty catchy chorus. The sound on this is perhaps very dated by todays standards, but thankfully it moves along at a brisk pace.

06. Midnight Fantasy - 10/10
Things gets better with this next number that’s probably the poppiest moment on here with this cute, playful & energetic number. Full of catchy dance beats, great sultry vocals & light production. Sure this isn’t lyrically deep or anything, but not everything has to be, as this just bops along at a quick-fire pace. Simply brilliant, this could have made for a great 2nd or 3rd single choice.

07. I.O.U. - 7/10
This is a rather gentle heartfelt number where Victoria gets to show of her vocal skills, and this time they are pitched against a range of beautiful strings. A simple but sweet song.

08. No Trix No Games - 7/10
This is a fairly catchy number with some nice strings, funky bassline & that familiar garage beat is back again in the same vein as some of the album’s previous tracks. Not the most creative track on here, but still pretty good.

09. I Wish - 8/10
This was the planned 3rd single from the album & yeah I can see why, its Garage beats has a nice minimal feel to it, with a simple repeated intro with some cool record scratches & crisp bassline. Victoria’s vocals here are light & fits in nicely with the production This kinda sound was popular at the time, but for me that’s the problem as this feels a little too formulaic & would have just blended into the background, I doubt this would have reversed the album’s fortunes by a long shot. But on the whole this is still a decent track.

10. Watcha Talkin’ About - 6/10
A gentle, mellow & quite catchy number with some okay vocal effects & a nice mid-tempo flow. But doesn’t quite stand out enough for me, not sure why this just doesn’t quite click with me.

11. Unconditional Love - 5/10
This & the previous track is where the album loses steam with this simple & not particularly inspiring track that doesn’t go anywhere interesting, where everything just seems off, even the production & just feels like a very basic paint by numbers generic ballad.

12. Every Part of Me - 6/10
The final track on the album & it’s a rather sweet number dedicated to her son Brooklyn (you can even hear his voice & laughter at the beginning). This has a nice melody, nice lyrics & stunning vocals. There’s nothing much else to this, just a cute little moment & a nice ending to the album.

Avg.7.666

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Feb 6 2023, 01:55 PM
Post #6
   No Gallery Pics

My review for Spice Girls debut album Spice

01. Wannabe - 10/10
The Spice Girls debut album kicks off in almighty style with their debut single ‘Wannabe’, which of course became a mammoth globe topping success that would instantly put the girls on the map for a very bright future ahead. While its success speaks for itself, this track was also the perfect introduction to lead this successful album campaign, as they transformed an overused love song cliché into one that prioritised friendships over relationships. Full of brassy attitude that not only made the girls likeable but showcases their personalities wonderfully. Along with airtight harmonies, glossy production, catchy as hell hooks & amazing upbeat energy that even after 25 years still holds up remarkably well. The song is a firm classic whether you like it or not & while this may not to everyone’s liking – you can’t deny its legacy.

02. Say You’ll Be There - 10/10
The album’s 2nd track was also the Spice Girls 2nd single – ‘Say You’ll Be There’. This track is a far more polished & sophisticated offering with sharp arrangements, addictive keyboard lines, cool synths & slick production. The song itself is a brilliant piece of pop music with an instantly memorable chorus that’s full of swagger & panache. This was the perfect follow up to the almighty lead single, in-fact this is even better & perhaps even catchier with the girls vocals sound more tighter with Mel C’s ab-libs completely on point here & then there’s that iconic harmonica solo that breaks the song up beautifully. Yet another classic by the girls.

03. 2 Become 1 - 10/10
Slowing things down now with track 3 & also the 3rd single ‘2 Become 1’ – a stunning romantic ballad with quite an unusual set-up (for its time) where lyrically the track focus’s on how the bonding of two lovers can become so strong that they practically become one entity, through the act of sex. Very rare for a girl-group to show themselves as this vulnerable, as well as being from their perspective. However at the same time the song’s themes were very much on brand for them. The soft-focus strings, twinkling keyboards, classy guitars & intimate production makes this a treat & the girls tender vocals sound fantastic on this wonderful, warm yet elegant number. Definitely one of the Spice Girls best singles of their careers.

04. Love Thing - 9/10
The first non-single track on this album that shows the girls are back to their energetic pop sound which lyrically symbolises the girl power message. A fun upbeat number with cool funky rhythms, vibrant beats & catchy hooks. This may not be quite as strong as the previous tracks, but its still a cracking tune & could have made a great single choice following the iconic smash hits of course & dare I say it yet another firm standout moment.

05. Last Time Lover - 7/10
Up next is this R&B slow jam which starts off with Mel B’s low tones & retains a sensual groove throughout with heavy hip-hop production. Wouldn’t call this one of the more striking numbers on this album, but it’s just okay.

06. Mama - 10/10
Probably the most emotional track on this album – ‘Mama’ which got released as a double a-side alongside the next track as the 4th & final single. I know this is often considered the least appealing of the Spice Girls early singles, but I find it rather sweet with a rather nice uplifting chorus & beautiful harmonies by the girl themselves & the gospel choir towards the end adds a decent flair to an otherwise corny ballad.

07. Who Do You Think You Are - 10/10
Ramping things back up is this disco classic ‘Who Do You Think You Are’ which was released alongside track 6 & I think we can all agree that this was the far better track. Catchy, fun, upbeat & brimming with fantastic energy. Loud & in your face with hooks that are undeniable & the disco pastiche production is melodically rich. This is a firm Spice Girls classic that will always remain one of their very best tracks of their careers.

08. Something Kinda Funny - 8/10
A perfectly serviceable 90’s R&B jam with nice soothing sounds & rhythms. The vocals also sound quite nice on here with Melanie C’s ab-libs adding some nice textures to this number. An album only track for sure, but the chorus is quite catchy though.

09. Naked - 8/10
A soulful & funky little number with classy production that gives this ballad a nice calming feel, yet at the same time has dark tones & cool rhythms running throughout. A firm underrated gem for sure that doesn’t get mentioned enough.

10. If U Can’t Dance - 8/10
The final track on the album that ends things brilliantly with this rather funky upbeat number with fun raps by both Mel B & Geri who even adds a Spanish flavour to the mix which rounds things off nicely. Even the samples works incredibly well on here. However this song really bops when its performed live as this is where it really shines. On the whole this is rather decent album track.

Avg.9.0

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Feb 6 2023, 02:00 PM
Post #7
   No Gallery Pics

Here's my track by track review of Emma Bunton's 3rd studio album Life in Mono

01. All I Need to Know - 8/10
A nice and tender start to the album with this beautifully ballad. Opening with soft piano lines with Emma’s warm and rich vocals soon coming into the mix. As the chorus builds, so does the guitars and orchestra which blends into a lovely lullaby feeling. This is a classy song, but perhaps a bit too sweet for a single release as it tanked.

02. Life in Mono - 6/10
The title track originally sung by English trip-hop duo Mono in 1996. The song has a stunning mysterious feel to it with its cinematic production, but the vocals feel a little lost in the grand mix of the production.

03. Mischievous - 8/10
Things thankfully becomes more upbeat with this catchy bossa nova number that suits Emma’s vocals perfectly making them feel effortless weaving amongst the orchestral flourishes. The song is light, airy, and fun.

04. Perfect Strangers - 8/10
Another nice bossa nova 60’s sounding track with some nice sweeping strings and nice vocals.

05. He Loves Me Not - 7/10
There’s some nice Samba arrangements here with gentle bossa nova beats and some nice playful vocal melodies. The vocal harmonies blend into the orchestra nicely, but to be honest so far all of these tracks seems to blend together into one without much difference.

06. I Wasn’t Looking (When I Found Love) - 8/10
Finally, this album’s starting to offer some variety with some synths, acoustic guitars and light percussion alongside some nice breathy vocal harmonies.

07. Take Me to Another Town - 9/10
Easily the best offering so far with its catchy melodies, foot-tapping beats, and some cool growling guitars. Emma’s vocals sounds great amongst the light production. This could have worked as a single, although with a slight remix to give it more of an edge.

08. Undressing You - 8/10
Taking a more seductive turn now with this sultry little number with slower beats, wandering basslines and dramatic strings. This is a fun little number.

09. I’m Not Crying Over Yesterdays - 5/10
This is a gentle little number that just wafts along with strings, gentle percussive beats and soft vocals. Not a very interesting track.

10. All That You’ll Be - 6/10
A little bit more interesting than the track before it with stronger vocals and a more uplifting orchestra, but the song kinda just plods along.

11. Downtown - 9/10
The lead single and the big hit of the album, strange that’s its only on the bonus edition as its easily one of the strongest numbers on here. The track was originally sung by Petula Clark and Emma’s version stays faithful to the original, only adding more percussion which does give it an extra kick.

12. Something Tells Me (Something’s Going to Happen) - 7/10
Another cover and here Emma does a decent job with this Cilla Black number and giving it a more bossa nova feel and the vocals sound great on this upbeat number.

13. Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps - 4/10
This has been covered to death by several artists through the decades and sadly this does nothing new with it and overall, just sounds flat and uninspired. This should have been left on the cutting room floor or b-side material at best.

14. Por Favour - 6/10
Thankfully we’re at the end of this album with yet another cover this time by Billy May and his Orchestra, this shuffles along nicely with a nice romantic feel to it, but again this album filler at best and not really needed.

Avg.7.071

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Feb 6 2023, 07:45 PM
Post #8
   No Gallery Pics

My review for Mel B's debut solo album Hot

01. Feels So Good - 10/10
The album opens strong with this catchy number with a thumping bassline and smooth beats running throughout. The production is slick and perfectly utilises Mel’s deep husky vocals. This was a perfect single choice and perhaps her greatest solo track.

02. Tell Me - 6/10
The lead single and switches the tone drastically from the previous track with its bitter lyrics, shouty chorus and fractured R&B beats that gives a slight nod to the UK garage scene. The track feels very dated and a little unfinished. Other than that, the song is okay, just okay.

03. Hell No - 6/10
Slowing things down now with the first ballad on here which gives Mel plenty of room to show off some nice vocals. The mellow basslines, tinkling pianos and acoustic guitars adds a nice warmth to the slow number. But overall not very interesting.

04. Lullaby - 7/10
A very tender mother to daughter song with acoustic guitars, light percussions and a mellow mid-tempo beat that goes great with Mel’s vocals and gives this track a nice warm soothing sound. Although this was still a very strange single choice and perhaps would have been better staying on the album.

05. Hotter - 9/10
The tempo picks up again with this sexy R&B jam, laden with killer basslines, funky guitars and thumping beats. This was due to be a single but was scrapped due to poor album sales and the previous track flopping. Not sure if this would have saved the album, but it’s a decent track nonetheless.

06. Step Inside - 5/10
The hypnotic beats and chugging basslines are quite catchy, and the vocals are strong, but other than that this track doesn’t do anything for me, it feels very basic and lightweight.

07. ABC 123 - 8/10
Back to the more R&B sound now with its funky rhythms and seductive beats that flows quite well with the drums. But the vocals feel a little restrained on here and overpowered by the production and the rap by Screwface was quite fun.

08. I Believe - 6/10
This feels very experimental with the slight Eastern feel with the beats and the sample of someone singing gives this a rather odd feel. The vocals sound soft and rich, and the track has a nice mellow feel to it.

09. I Want You Back - 10/10
Mel’s very first single released 2 years before the album even came out and it’s a total bob. Helmed under the watchful eye of Missy Elliot, her presence is all over this with its addictive rhythms, staccato violin strings and sparse beats, the track is catchy yet brilliant and Mel’s confident vocals really brings this to life.

10. Pack Your Shit - 4/10
An angry mid-tempo R&B track full of cringey swear words. The production is decent, and the vocals are okay, but this track is filler and even guest vocalist Eric Williams can’t elevate this above mediocre.

11. Feel Me Now - 5/10
The album ends with this seductive R&B slow jam with Mel’s slinky vocals against the heavy beats. Not entirely interesting and not a strong end to the album.

Avg.6.909

+Quote Post
Yobnedor
post Feb 6 2023, 08:50 PM
Post #9
Perfectly Pop
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 3,033
   No Gallery Pics

I still maintain Word Up should have been on this album!

I know it tanked (relatively, for 1999 standards) but it’s still one of my favourite solo singles!

+Quote Post
One_For_Sorrow
post Feb 7 2023, 04:31 AM
Post #10
---
Member No.: 17,418
   No Gallery Pics

I remember hearing Northern Star for the first time in about 15 years when I was on a train trip from London (Ontario) to Toronto. I was addicted to it for quite a while afterwards. Such a nice song.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Feb 7 2023, 06:39 AM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

I think you need to revisit Why .

+Quote Post
One_For_Sorrow
post Feb 7 2023, 06:45 AM
Post #12
---
Member No.: 17,418
   No Gallery Pics

What’s the next one you plan on reviewing next Nina West?

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Feb 7 2023, 10:47 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

Loving your reviews so far!

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Feb 7 2023, 11:03 AM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(vibe @ Feb 7 2023, 06:39 AM) *
I think you need to revisit Why .

Agree. Together with Feel The Sun and Northern Star, those are perhaps her best ever songs.

+Quote Post
Mr.X
post Feb 7 2023, 11:04 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,587
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Yobnedor @ Feb 6 2023, 08:50 PM) *
I still maintain Word Up should have been on this album!

I know it tanked (relatively, for 1999 standards) but it’s still one of my favourite solo singles!

For sure! Word Up would have enhanced Hot's quality 10 fold!

+Quote Post
spiceboy
post Feb 7 2023, 12:11 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 39,568
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(spiceboy @ Feb 7 2023, 10:47 AM) *
Loving your reviews so far!

But yes this...

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Feb 7 2023, 07:07 PM
Post #17
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(One_For_Sorrow @ Feb 7 2023, 06:45 AM) *
What’s the next one you plan on reviewing next Nina West?

Gonna do Spiceworld next, so stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Feb 8 2023, 01:38 AM
Post #18
   No Gallery Pics

My review for the Spice Girls 2nd studio album Spiceworld

01. Spice Up Your Life - 10/10
Kicking off the album with an almighty bang with this huge and chaotic anthem that perfectly captured the Spice Mania at its upmost peak with its relentless drum beats, infectious melodies and mammoth chorus set against a carnival atmosphere while incorporating Latin rhythms into the mix. The song makes a bold statement and its simply brilliant.

02. Stop - 10/10
This is an all-time Spice Girls classic with its iconic dance routine and Motown infused sound that showcases the group’s versatility perfectly. Enjoyable, upbeat, and carefree this track is full of charm and joyful energy. A true gem in their discography.

03. Too Much - 10/10
Slowing things down now with this elegant slow-burning ballad. The song has a stunning soulful vibe to it with its classy strings, synth lines and gentle beats running throughout the dop-wop production. The song is beautifully arranged and features fantastic vocals by the group, namely Melanie C who adds some excellent ab-libs and soaring vocals over the production.

04. Saturday Night Divas - 8/10
The first non-single track on this album and it’s a fun R&B pop track with a bit of funk thrown in for good measure, along with some tight vocal harmonies. The chorus while catchy does get a bit repetitive and the song does go on for a little too long, but overall, this is a fun and nice little album track.

05. Never Give Up on The Good Times - 10/10
This is an excellent pop track with disco influenced beats, uplifting message and a catchy as hell chorus. The production is stellar with amazing vocals and the slight dance break with the flutes and strings is fantastic. This was heavily rumoured to being released as a single but was scrapped due to Geri leaving and it’s a shame as this would have made a cracking single.

06. Move Over - 9/10
The song was originally used as a jingle for Pepsi and it’s a fun addition to this album with its energetic pop/rock beats that builds to a powerful yet rousing chorus. Full of manic energy with interesting production techniques, this is a solid album track.

07. Do It - 7/10
A light fun little pop song with an empowering message, catchy melodies, and fantastic vocals, especially from Emma during the pre-chorus. This is a decent song, but they’ve had far better than this.

08. Denying - 8/10
Another fun little R&B pop song with some hip-hop influences along with a bit of funk thrown in for good measure. Also like the sparkly keyboards and layered synths that makes this a catchy little bop.

09. Viva Forever - 10/10
An epic ballad that acted as the perfect swansong for this era. Superbly crafted with dramatic strings and that gorgeous flamenco guitar rhythms throughout the track gives this a certain sadness yet powerful at the same time, the vocal harmonies sound stunning with simple yet effective hooks. This is definitely the most mature sounding track that and a prime example of how good the Spice Girls can be.

10. The Lady is a Vamp - 7/10
Closing this album is a rather fun jazzy Broadway show tune with authentic production and brimming with personality. This really shows how diverse this album can be and ends things on a rather high note. Although this is not something I’d go back to often as its something that sounds better live.

Avg.8.9

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Feb 11 2023, 07:30 PM
Post #19
   No Gallery Pics

The 'Forever' review will be posted this weekend definiately

+Quote Post
Nina West
post Feb 13 2023, 09:11 PM
Post #20
   No Gallery Pics

This is my review for the Spice Girls final studio album Forever

01. Holler - 10/10
The album opens with the lead single and straight away showcases something different to anything the group has done as it represents a shift from the bubblegum pop sound to a more mature pop and R&B sound, which results in a cracking tune with its slick and polished production, funky beats, bouncy chorus, and catchy hooks that still retains the essence of the Spice Girls. This is a great and underrated song in the girls back catalogue.

02. Tell Me Why - 9/10
Opening with a robotic voice introducing the group before the pulsating up-tempo synth beats kicks in alongside the strummed guitars and sleek chorus. Lyrically the song has a very bitter tone, but the vocal harmonies are strong and the production is stellar on this. My only gripe is that I didn’t like the intro, other than that it’s a great little R&B pop number.

03. Let Love Lead the Way - 9/10
The other half of the lead double A-side single is this rather sentimental number with shuffling percussive beats, understated drums, and glossy production. This is a warm and tender Spice Girls ballad with stunning harmonies and fantastic vocals from Melanie C and Emma who really elevates this. This doesn’t come close to being their best ballad, but it’s a beautiful and elegant track, nonetheless.

04. Right Back at Ya - 7/10
If this was the original pop version which was far superior then I would give this a 10. This version opts for a slicker R&B sound and it’s lacking the fun and energy the original had and the production doesn’t flow with the pop lyrics or melodies. This version isn’t terrible by any means there are some nice vocal harmonies throughout and Mel B’s rap does breathe life into it. But stick to the pop version its far better.

05. Get Down with Me - 8/10
A fun up-beat R&B number with light beats, funky basslines, and pianos flows perfectly with the layered vocal harmonies. The synths and strings add a nice touch to the production, and the handclaps helps keep things bright and catchy.

06. Wasting My Time - 7/10
A funky and sassy mid-tempo number with fantastic vocals from Melanie C who takes lead on this and uses some effective raspy tones and Victoria’s soulful tones on the bridge sounds great. The production has some great musical flourishes, but this track feels a little too similar to the previous track and maybe shouldn’t have been placed right after it.

07. Weekend Love - 6/10
The song begins okay enough with some nice vocals by Emma who sings in a lullaby sounds, then the acoustic guitars and synths comes in and gives this a warm sweet sentimental feeling before the beat drops for the chorus. But then Mel B’s rap drops in the middle and its rather awkward and jarring. Not too keen on this one and definitely one of the worst tracks on this album.

08. Time Goes By - 5/10
Another ballad and it’s a slow plodding one that goes on for way too long. The vocal harmonies are nice and the R&B-tinged production is okay, but nothing can save this dreary paint by numbers boring and forgettable mess that should have been left on the cutting room floor.

09. If You Wanna Have Some Fun - 10/10
Thankfully the pace picks up with this catchy, funky up-beat bop that perfectly captures the Spice essence which had been sorely missing from the last couple of tracks. The beats are fun and brimming with energy with addictive hooks and soaring melodies that hangs this song together and making it perfectly formed. This really should have been a single, but given a radio edit form of course.

10. Oxygen - 10/10
Back to the ballads now and this one is a stunning one with nice breathy vocals as the song gently builds with percussions, echoey keyboards which gives this a sad yet uplifting feeling at the same time. The chime bars and bleeps gives the track a very ethereal magical feel to it. The soaring vocals over the key change adds a nice touch to this rather beautiful emotional number.

11. Goodbye - 10/10
The album closes with one the girls best ballads of their careers with its lavish production that gives it a cool yet very wintery vibe, the stirring strings, heart-breaking lyrics and that grand and powerful chorus that soars beautifully over the production. Despite being a member down, this shows that they are stronger than ever. This is definitely right up with some of the Spice Girls finest singles in their discography.

Avg.8.272

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:18 PM