BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 20 Years of 'Music' ● The Lead Single, Put a record on...
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post Sep 3 2020, 02:48 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Idol
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

'Music', the lead single from Madonna's eighth studio album, was released August 21st 2000. The song was composed with French producer Mirwais, whose eccentric twist on disco and electro-funk gave a modern update to the familiar message of music's ability to unite and equalize. Despite leaking on the internet many weeks ahead of release, 'Music' was still a huge hit, reaching the top spot in over 20 countries, including the US where it became her 12th and final #1. The music video, directed by Jonas Åkerlund and featuring Sacha Baron Cohen's character Ali G, saw Madonna star as a mack-daddy in attempt to flip the gender roles of stereotypical hip-hop videos.

The release marked a new era for Madonna, now embarking on her third decade in music and contending with a new generation of popstars, but proving herself to still be on top of her game. As hinted in the lyrics to 'Music', Madonna wasn't about to start looking back or thinking her time was up, she still had plenty more to give.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Sep 3 2020, 02:49 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Idol

Live Performances

+Quote Post
vibe
post Sep 3 2020, 05:29 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

The full EP is now on streaming platforms !

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Sep 3 2020, 05:36 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Idol

Thanks for that - will check them out!

+Quote Post
Addy!
post Sep 3 2020, 06:02 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 2,666

that EMA performance it's...something lol.

I was living for Kylie Minogue top though!!!

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Sep 3 2020, 08:00 PM
Post #6
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,007

Not a favourite song from the Music album era, but definitely iconic and one of her most well-known and signature songs now. The era that was to follow has become one of her biggest, so this is a great start to the festivities.

Happy 20th birthday! cheer.gif

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Sep 16 2020, 06:11 AM
Post #7

It reached #1 on the Hot 100 20 years ago today! wub.gif

+Quote Post
Jessie Where
post Sep 16 2020, 08:08 AM
Post #8
Break the tension
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I remember at the time everyone at school kept obsessively singing "Hey Mr DJ put a record on..." for weeks, it was incredibly rare a song made that kind of impact. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
vibe
post Sep 16 2020, 12:16 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

If she ends a touring career with a GH setlist this needs to be the opening track !!

+Quote Post
HausofKubrick
post Sep 23 2020, 07:59 PM
Post #10

Madonna celebrated the 20th anniversary of Music by releasing a HD video of the title track. Fully restored, the iconic, Jonas Åkerlund-directed visual shimmers and shines like never before. After spending the last decade or so watching the original YouTube upload, it’s almost like seeing the clip for the first time all over again. Not only does her majesty look impeccable, but the animated sequence no longer feels dated and out of place. Apart from Ali G’s humor, which is a little problematic in retrospect, this could have been released in 2020.

Of course, “Music” was a worldwide sensation when it was unleashed in 2000. The banger hit number one in more than a dozen countries (including the US and UK) and cemented Madonna’s legacy as the indisputable Queen of Pop. It’s about time the enduring hitmaker’s back catalogue was honored and celebrated in this way. I just hope that we get restored videos for “Don’t Tell Me” and “What It Feels Like For A Girl” because they truly deserve it. Take a deep breath, press play and be transported back to one of Madonna’s very best eras.

Watch the HD video here:

cheer.gif

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Sep 25 2020, 05:29 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Idol

One of my earliest memories of Madonna and what an introduction - it's timeless and holds a message that best sums up the power of Madonna's music. It remains one of my favourites and I feel like it's slightly regaining some relevance today, perhaps as music and culture tend to come full circle every two decades or so. I remember watching the video on TV all the time - 'Ray of Light' and 'Music' are the two looks that first come to mind when I think of Madonna, like this is 'my' version of Madonna - and it's great to rewatch it in actual HD - definitely hope other videos get the same treatment, particularly her late 80s/early 90s ones.

I think it's often forgotten just how huge 'Music' was - I read that it was the best selling single of the year 2000 but can't find a source for it. Sounds about right though.

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Sep 25 2020, 05:32 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Idol

'Music' was strongly influenced by a track on Mirwais' own album Production, titled 'Never Young Again':

You can hear more about the breakdown of the song in this fantastic podcast: https://insidethegroove.podbean.com/e/episo...sic-1586703192/

+Quote Post
Liam.k.
post Oct 1 2020, 10:54 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Idol

Triple post but just coming to say I checked out the remix package - wow, the HQ2 mix is great! music.gif In fact, they're all pretty decent!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:32 PM