BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
> 
13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Music Week confirm YouTube streams will count to chart, + new ratios to split paid-for and free audio streams
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
AcerBen
post 21st June 2018, 03:13 PM
Post #21
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429

QUOTE(Dexton @ Jun 21 2018, 01:06 PM) *
It’s still just video streaming though. Only it’s limited to music Youtube videos. All the songs available are already available on the regular Youtube (and I mean all, not just MVs). It’s just the same as YouTube Red

That said I do like the whole “what is this song” mechanic. It looks as if you can type “bLLOOody sHooOes” and be directed to Bodak Yellow which is a cool idea - even if it is just skipping the part where you Google the lyrics and find the song that way

No, it's both audio and video. It's replacing Google Play.
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 21st June 2018, 03:23 PM
Post #22
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

QUOTE(Liаm @ Jun 21 2018, 02:52 PM) *
Also if you knew the lyrics you could Google it and it'd come on that's not really that special or worth paying more than Spotify for tbh laugh.gif

We live in an era where people rely on Alexa to turn their lights off rather than doing it themselves, you can't expect people to go to the trouble of Googling and subsequently seeking out a song on Spotify. laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Grandwicky
post 21st June 2018, 06:47 PM
Post #23
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 49

QUOTE(Dexton @ Jun 21 2018, 03:21 AM) *
But some people do use YouTube has a primary source of listening to music. Also as far as I can tell YouTube Music is just the Music tab in YouTube expanded and organised a lot. Most of the music you listen to is music videos it's just a lot cleaner than the actual YouTube app. I don't think only counting streams from this app should count towards the chart yet streaming directly from YouTube doesn't - even if its the same video. If you listen to Gangnam Style in YT Music, its the exact same thing as listening to it on regular old YT.

This also brings back the whole thing about a "single package" including the music video. Often times a music video can make you change your opinion on a song, so why shouldn't it count towards the chart? It's still the song it just has bonus visuals and sometimes extra bits thrown in.

The OCC is almost as inconsistent as ARIA

But there isn't an album equivalent so how would it consistent with the album chart?

Also YouTube has been around for a long time now, it was around when physical singles were still a thing and way before download sales were at their height so if it didn't count then then why now? huh.gif

If they like a song they can buy it or they can listen to it on a streaming service, I use YouTube and yes sometimes that's been the first time I've heard a song and I then buy it but sometimes I watch a video on YouTube because I want to hear a song or heard a video and want to see it but I may not like the song so why should that count towards the charts exactly? What's the difference between now and 10+ years ago? What next? What comes on the radio when you listen counting towards the charts? You hearing Cliff Richard being played in New Look counting the charts? laugh.gif

+Quote this post
Liаm
post 21st June 2018, 06:49 PM
Post #24
Group icon
Brown cow, stunning!
User: 10,139

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Jun 21 2018, 04:23 PM) *
We live in an era where people rely on Alexa to turn their lights off rather than doing it themselves, you can't expect people to go to the trouble of Googling and subsequently seeking out a song on Spotify. laugh.gif

This is too true laugh.gif

+Quote this post
GTH
post 21st June 2018, 10:10 PM
Post #25
Group icon
Gareth T H
User: 10,597

QUOTE(Juranamo @ Jun 21 2018, 01:02 PM) *
From what I saw (I was on the app the other day and it directed me to a link to download YouTube Music) it is an audio streaming thing - and costs £12.99(!!!) per month.

It did seem to have an interesting function where it would find the song you want to listen to if you type out lyrics or explain the song though (not sure how that would work, sounds very smart)...

It is only 9.99 if you just go for the music service without the video so matches the big names like Spotify, Apple and deezer.

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 23rd June 2018, 04:58 PM
Post #26
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366

Further news: James Masterton has posted on Facebook that there is going to be a big announcement on Monday morning and on his website he has posted the following:

We are marching towards the reveal of some significant chart news, but although plenty of rumours abound nothing is being officially revealed until Monday morning. I'm bound to secrecy too until then, sorry.

https://chart-watch.uk/index.php/week-ending-june-28th-2018

It surely has to be about YouTube and hasn't denied it when someone posted a reply to him on Facebook.

I'm assuming the Monday reveal is so that Music Week can run the story as an exclusive when it is published that morning. We'll find out on Monday what it is all about.

+Quote this post
AcerBen
post 23rd June 2018, 06:07 PM
Post #27
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 3,429

Ah, I knew Lee wouldn't have let us down!

+Quote this post
danG
post 23rd June 2018, 06:17 PM
Post #28
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥
User: 11,746

That basically confirms it then. So YouTube and I suppose all video streams are now definitely going to count. Inevitable I guess. Will be interesting to see what effect they have on the chart anyway and it will make it a lot less predictable.

I just hope they are put at a lower ratio because free YouTube streams generate very little money in comparison to a free Spotify stream.

+Quote this post
Brightest Blue
post 23rd June 2018, 06:21 PM
Post #29
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 23,155

Will benefit trap songs.. they always do well on YouTube

Bad news for new artists / new songs too!

+Quote this post
Tangela
post 23rd June 2018, 07:14 PM
Post #30
Group icon
Tangelic
User: 23,643

They blatantly saw our poll on whether they should be added which had a Brexit ish result of 51% in favour of video streams being added - though only half of those thought that should include YouTube!

+Quote this post
danG
post 23rd June 2018, 09:14 PM
Post #31
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

I don't get how the inclusion of YouTube streams will help their the OCC's 'fresh music policy'. Won't it just mean the likes of 'Shape Of You', 'Havana', 'Despacito' and 'New Rules' will remain in the top 100 for even longer? drama.gif

And yep Buzzjack rejoice for there will now be even more random urban chart hits. (inb4 'but urban isn't a genre!1')

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 23rd June 2018, 09:19 PM
Post #32
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

I'm open to being proven wrong but this isn't sounding very promising to me right now, it's only gonna slow things down further drama.gif

+Quote this post
TheSnake
post 23rd June 2018, 09:23 PM
Post #33
Group icon
Say that hiss with your chest, and...
User: 23,308

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Jun 23 2018, 10:19 PM) *
I'm open to being proven wrong but this isn't sounding very promising to me right now, it's only gonna slow things down further drama.gif

They will have an ACR-type rule with them though, surely?

+Quote this post
danG
post 23rd June 2018, 09:23 PM
Post #34
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Jun 23 2018, 10:19 PM) *

Unless, perhaps, the OCC will also be introducing incremental ACR *.*.*.*

(we can dream)

+Quote this post
Tedward
post 23rd June 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #35
Group icon
CURSED
User: 69,463

Ugh, this was something I knew was coming, but dreading so much. Like a funeral. OCC better implement similar ACR rules for this too or we'll have whatever Ed Sheeran's next song is at #1 for 20 weeks ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by Tedward: 23rd June 2018, 09:27 PM

+Quote this post
danG
post 23rd June 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #36
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

QUOTE(The Snake @ Jun 23 2018, 10:23 PM) *
They will have an ACR-type rule with them though, surely?

Well yes but look at how long 'Shape Of You' has stayed in the chart *despite* being on ACR. It only just left the top 75 *this* week, on its 76th week. It could have stayed in every single position of the top 76 by now, but of course, it hasn't.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 23rd June 2018, 09:32 PM
Post #37
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

QUOTE(danG @ Jun 23 2018, 10:23 PM) *
Unless, perhaps, the OCC will also be introducing incremental ACR *.*.*.*

(we can dream)

Which is just as bad ph34r.gif

(OK maybe not but I'd still rather they didn't lol)

+Quote this post
danG
post 23rd June 2018, 09:36 PM
Post #38
Group icon
🔥🚀🔥

QUOTE(JosephAvery @ Jun 23 2018, 10:32 PM) *
Which is just as bad ph34r.gif

(OK maybe not but I'd still rather they didn't lol)

Okay then, you can have SOY and Despacito in the chart until the end of time, while I'll have both of them on a 1:500 ratio and well out the chart. biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Robbie
post 23rd June 2018, 10:42 PM
Post #39
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 366

Maybe it's time to start kicking out old hits once they drop below a certain position. Years ago there was a rule in place that removed records from below the top 75 when the record had recorded two weeks of falling sales and sales in the second week had fallen by at least 20%. Then this was extended in about 2002 to records outside of the top 40 which were adjudged to be "sell off singles" (i.e. were selling from the bargain bin). And when the Singles chart was a top 50 records that would have been placed between 41 to 50 were removed from the chart when sales had fallen for two consecutive weeks and where in the second week the record had also fallen down the chart.

While lots of old singles don't really record falling sales of 20% these days because they just tend to slowly drift down the chart (unless it's the week they hit ACR) one solution would be to remove streaming sales from an ex-top 40 hit once it falls below, say, number 50 and sales continue to fall (with the 10 place cushion below number 40 to enable records with rising sales which were previously top 40 the ability to get back into the top 40). Streaming sales would then only be added back in once the record passed certain criteria, perhaps similar to now when the track would move back from ACR to SCR.

The above would enable fresher tracks to get a toehold in the lower reaches of the chart and the Hot Hits UK type playlists could do the rest to help push the single into the top 40.

The staticness of the chart is a problem, even with ACR in place. From Polyhex, here are some graphs which show the worrying trend of the chart grinding to a halt:

https://www.polyhex.me.uk/uksingles/new-ent...n-chart-uks.cfm

https://www.polyhex.me.uk/uksingles/new-ent...top-ten-uks.cfm

https://www.polyhex.me.uk/uksingles/average...n-chart-uks.cfm

I'm not really a fan of artificial rules that force older hits down the chart but as we already have them in place the OCC may as well go the whole way and do something to breath some new life into the chart.

This post has been edited by Robbie: 23rd June 2018, 10:44 PM

+Quote this post
Chez Wombat
post 23rd June 2018, 11:07 PM
Post #40
Group icon
The owls are not what they seem
Pronouns: He/him
User: 9,232

I'd be OK with just Youtube music views counting as it is pretty much a streaming service just like Spotify, but general video streams I'm not so keen. So many people use Youtube and I certainly would just use it to check out a song and it doesn't necessarily mean I like it. The staleness is going to go off the scales...

I assume viral songs that previously wouldn't have got anywhere near being big without the video's aid will actually chart highly as well which may look...odd hearing them on the radio (although that applies to Freaky Friday and that's doing just fine).

+Quote this post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 11:37 PM