BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
147 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> The Tory lies and deceit thread
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Qassändra
post Dec 30 2015, 09:19 PM
Post #41
DROTTNING!
Group: Members
Member No.: 480
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Dec 30 2015, 09:34 PM) *
Can I just say Happy New Year Oliver Letwin? I'd also like to thank Oliver for helping to re-confirm my utter belief that posh public school boys should not be let anywhere near politics when they grow up, cos they have, y'know, f***-all experience of reality, life, and people outside their closeted privileged upbringing, which totally distorts their ivory tower view of the world.

I'll pass on the regards to Tony Benn and Nick Clegg shall I?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 30 2015, 10:38 PM
Post #42
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Dec 30 2015, 09:19 PM) *
I'll pass on the regards to Tony Benn and Nick Clegg shall I?

yeah please do. Benn's not in a position to appreciate it though his soon-to-be-booted-out-of-the-shadow-cabinet son is... tongue.gif

There are always exceptions to every rule, but in principle I'm agin it without clear evidence they have a well-rounded human being residing inside. Tony Blair, if anything, case proven m'lud....

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 30 2015, 10:42 PM
Post #43
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Dec 30 2015, 09:02 PM) *
The real joke is that Letwin is claiming that his comments were "badly worded". Perhaps he could let us know how racist remarks could be better-worded. These comments were in a written memo, so he had plenty of opportunity to make sure they were worded correctly. As it is, they were certainly worded very clearly.

Mind you, Letwin does have form. He was one of the prime movers behind the Poll Tax. In the 2001 election campaign, he told a journalist that the Tories had plans for £20 billion of cuts but that they would prefer not to let the voters know. He was kept well away from journalists for the rest of the campaign. In another election campaign, he told another journalist that the NHS would not exist after a full Conservative term.

It's not only his mouth that has got him into trouble. He was photographed dumping documents in a public litter bin. He somehow got away with it because they were not classified Cabinet documents. They were "just" items of constituency correspondence. Apparently anyone corresponding with their MP should accept that their correspondence might end up in a public litter bin.

well-worded, well-reminded. I look forward to next year's cabinet releases and see what other gems reside inside. Hopefully some really juicy ones to embarrass the unembarrassable... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Dec 31 2015, 02:55 AM
Post #44
DROTTNING!
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Dec 30 2015, 11:38 PM) *
yeah please do. Benn's not in a position to appreciate it though his soon-to-be-booted-out-of-the-shadow-cabinet son is... tongue.gif

There are always exceptions to every rule, but in principle I'm agin it without clear evidence they have a well-rounded human being residing inside. Tony Blair, if anything, case proven m'lud....

What'd be that evidence - that they share your politics to a degree?

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 31 2015, 08:20 AM
Post #45
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Dec 31 2015, 02:55 AM) *
What'd be that evidence - that they share your politics to a degree?

No, that they share a concern and awareness about all people, not just the selfish rich ones who pay for their political campaigns or have mutual business interests. We can all argue about how to achieve fairness in society (there is no easy answer), and there are plenty of genuine local councillors on all sides who do, but the ones who just pay lip service to society while pursuing selfish motives (like Mr Letwin) need outing at every opportunity for what they are. They are currently running the country and causing long-term havoc, while the Labour Party seem happier to make pronouncements on individuals in the government (which is fair enough) to the exclusion of the actual policies and effects (which is not fair enough). Where's Corbyn, why isn't he giving press interviews about what the Tories are doing and shouting about it, that's his actual main job!?! That is what his supporters elected him for, and he's off on TV riding his bike or saying he's not bothered by pressure.

Clearly....

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 31 2015, 02:59 PM
Post #46
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

They're coming thick n fast over the holidays. It appears that the era of banker bashing is now officially over. There will be no more fca enquiry into banter behaviour. The bank levy is dropped no one has been brought to task for anything they did. They can't find a new head of the fca after sacking the one hired to get tough with banks.

Rumours that HSBC threatening to leave the UK following rumours of tax irregularities and general unhappiness with the bank levy suggest the treasury has caved in.

This government does the quickest u turns in history they really didn't like all those nasty Libdem policies did they..,?

It also demonstrates who's REALLY running the country

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Dec 31 2015, 07:05 PM
Post #47
DROTTNING!
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Dec 31 2015, 09:20 AM) *
No, that they share a concern and awareness about all people, not just the selfish rich ones who pay for their political campaigns or have mutual business interests.

Ah, so the answer is yes - that they share your politics to a degree. I disagree with them strongly, but the Conservatives have plenty of policies they could use to justify themselves on 'sharing a concern and awareness about all people' - just by different political means to the ones you would use.

But also in general, banning any one from politics on the basis of background (subject to vague tests or otherwise) is pretty shoddy. Once you've got the precedent...

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Dec 31 2015, 08:34 PM
Post #48
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Dec 31 2015, 07:05 PM) *
Ah, so the answer is yes - that they share your politics to a degree. I disagree with them strongly, but the Conservatives have plenty of policies they could use to justify themselves on 'sharing a concern and awareness about all people' - just by different political means to the ones you would use.

But also in general, banning any one from politics on the basis of background (subject to vague tests or otherwise) is pretty shoddy. Once you've got the precedent...

Oh I agree entirely, it's not remotely practical, desirable, or ever going to happen in any shape or form, and Conservatives can have helpful policies, but Tories - the ones I rant about - tend to favour the rich over the poor and I'm always going to slag them off because the poor (who can equally be just as myopic) aren't in positions where they can do (much) damage.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jan 1 2016, 10:22 PM
Post #49
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

The Tories continue to explore new depths of shamelessness. Two years ago, they started claiming to have increased spending on flood defences. They were criticised at the time for misusing data. Undeterred, they are still at it. The National Audit Office and the House of Commons Library have both published figures contradicting them, but they continue to repeat the lie. Clearly, they believe the old adage that repeating a lie enough times will make it true.

The figures the Tories like to quote include emergency funding to clear up after flooding. Adding that to the flood defence budget is rather like adding some of the money spent by A&E departments to the road safety budget and claiming to have increased it.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 1 2016, 11:13 PM
Post #50
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Jan 1 2016, 10:22 PM) *
The Tories continue to explore new depths of shamelessness. Two years ago, they started claiming to have increased spending on flood defences. They were criticised at the time for misusing data. Undeterred, they are still at it. The National Audit Office and the House of Commons Library have both published figures contradicting them, but they continue to repeat the lie. Clearly, they believe the old adage that repeating a lie enough times will make it true.

The figures the Tories like to quote include emergency funding to clear up after flooding. Adding that to the flood defence budget is rather like adding some of the money spent by A&E departments to the road safety budget and claiming to have increased it.

That's the great thing about quoting statistics to support a viewpoint. Hire a consultant to spin things, mix n match, ignore inconvenient facts, and then just repeat ad nauseum. Modern politics is based on it....not to mention sacking anyone that points out inconvenient truths. You probably know all of the inconvenient local truths, but the New Year may prove mildly interesting at some stage... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 7 2016, 06:38 PM
Post #51
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

oh dear I'm at it again, sorry! Just thought I'd provide a helpful rewrite to George Osbourne's speech today:

"Don't Panic! Don't Panic! Vote for me! We need more cuts! Vote For Me! I lied when I said before the election that it was working and everything was hunky dory, it isn't at all, the debt and borrowing is still HUGE and it's not shifting no matter how much we slash and burn! You can't trust anyone else to sort this out, vote for me! Don't Panic, Mr Mainwaring"

Hope that helped. Perhaps if the banks paid back the 100billion plus they still owe things might ease off a bit on the people who didn't get into debt and have been supporting financially all those who did for 8 years now. Just a thought....

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jan 7 2016, 07:04 PM
Post #52
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

I was going to comment on Osborne's speech as well. It can be summed up as "Things are about to go tits up, but it's not my fault".

For some reason, events happening outside the UK will have an impact on our economy. Isn't it strange that, in Osborne's world, apparently outside events had no impact all when Gordon Brown was in charge?

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 7 2016, 09:52 PM
Post #53
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

This wouldn't have anything to do with government borrowing about to massively miss their 2015/16 target would it?

When falling oil price (due to slowing global demand) = cheaper petrol. Good news, the Tories are fantastic at saving you money at the pump.
When falling oil price (due to slowing global demand) = stalling GDP and increased government spending/deficit. Bad news, Johnny Foreigner is ruining our economy.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 8 2016, 01:17 PM
Post #54
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

The Tories have always been schizophrenic over Johnny Foreigner. he's to blame for all of our ills (except those that Labour caused with the full Tory support) especially those nasty poorer Johnny Foreigners, but the rich ones who want to buy up UK plc and export profits and jobs abroad, or be based abroad, or buy property and drive up prices so much as to be unaffordable for most of us are doing a marvellous job. Absolutely essential to the future wellbeing of the UK.

Not doing so well so far, eh, Tory boys and girls, unless you see getting rid of annoying benefit dependant folk, the elderly, the disabled, the mentally ill, the depressed on a one by one basis as they shuffle off this mortal coil after feeling abandoned by society. Which, obviously, they do see as an ongoing success with worse to come as people can't ignore the services that are no longer available from local councils.

Such a good thing we have a great Opposition to shout this loudly above the cycling to the allotment for a gentle afternoon's jam-making.....

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 13 2016, 03:30 PM
Post #55
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

So, demonising young Doctors and imposing conditions. Just like local government staff. The main difference is Doctors can move elsewhere once qualified, somewhere with better wages, so this is really a totally pointless attempt to save a bit of cash with no thought (as usual) for the long-term consequences (or understanding of the additional costs that a 6 or 7-day week would bring quite apart from saving cash on doctors who already work long hours). What a Jeremy Hunt!

Of course, I would seriously LOVE to see a FOI request on how many Tory MP's actually use the NHS, as opposed to paying for private care from already-qualified and pricey doctors who spend half the week on the golf-course.... assuming of course the emotionless robots actually need medical care rather than IT assistance and re-booting.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jan 13 2016, 03:38 PM
Post #56
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

On the subject of the doctors' dispute, Hunt has shown his usual disregard for the truth. He quoted the number of junior doctors working yesterday (38%) in an attempt to dismiss the strike as a failure. His figure included junior doctors who were working in emergency care, i.e. doctors who were not expected to strike yesterday. If the next strike goes ahead, expect Hunt to produce a list of dead doctors who were not on strike as further evidence of how the strike call is being ignored.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 13 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #57
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

just watched the Tory Propaganda Broadcast, glib, slick and a sly way of saying look we promised you a fab 7-days-NHS and digging at those ungrateful Junior Doctors. What they don't say, of course, is mention all of the broken promises and lies as listed on this thread. Which they are not delivering, have no intention of delivering, and have no intention of mentioning.

So that's another lie then.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jan 13 2016, 08:21 PM
Post #58
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

This promise of a "7 day NHS" is a nonsense anyway. Large parts of the NHS already operate seven days per week. There have been claims that some people are so convinced that they won't be able to get treatment at the weekend that they delay seeing anybody until Monday.

+Quote Post
Qassändra
post Jan 13 2016, 08:48 PM
Post #59
DROTTNING!
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(popchartfreak @ Jan 13 2016, 07:59 PM) *
just watched the Tory Propaganda Broadcast, glib, slick and a sly way of saying look we promised you a fab 7-days-NHS and digging at those ungrateful Junior Doctors. What they don't say, of course, is mention all of the broken promises and lies as listed on this thread. Which they are not delivering, have no intention of delivering, and have no intention of mentioning.

So that's another lie then.

Because not mentioning 'we've not kept our promises in other areas' is something any party (or person) *ever* would mention if they were doing a broadcast on a particular policy?! This is entering Holden Caulfield levels of obnoxiousness.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 13 2016, 09:11 PM
Post #60
BuzzJack Legend
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Qassändra @ Jan 13 2016, 08:48 PM) *
Because not mentioning 'we've not kept our promises in other areas' is something any party (or person) *ever* would mention if they were doing a broadcast on a particular policy?! This is entering Holden Caulfield levels of obnoxiousness.

Think my comments are fair given they are being hypocritical and using the platform for blatant propaganda, not a useful summary of all they have achieved so far and a reason to vote for them (which, admittedly, is virtually nothing of positive electioneering use after 8 miserable months). They said nothing which the PM couldnt have blanded out in any interview any time he feels like it. Of course, I have said many times before, I could adopt the Labour Party mantra and say nothing constructive, do nothing constructive, just moan about other party members a bit instead... tongue.gif

I do not respect dishonesty, whichever party is peddling it. I think the electorate would largely agree with that sentiment...

+Quote Post

147 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:48 PM