BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Squid - Bright Green Field, Debut album out 7/5/21
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
WhoOdyssey
post Jan 29 2021, 02:46 PM
Post #1
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
Brighton-based 5-piece Squid have finally announced details of their debut album, 'Bright Green Field', set for release on May 7th - and a new single 'Narrator' has also been released! It's an 8-minute epic featuring Martha Skye Murphy, there's also a shorter edit avaliable.

There are no older songs which is quite refreshing for a debut album:

1. Resolution Square
2. G.S.K.
3. Narrator ft. Martha Skye Murphy
4. Boy Racers
5. Paddling
6. Documentary FIlmmaker
7. 2010
8. The Flyover
9. Peel St.
10. Global Groove
11. Pamphlets
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 29 2021, 03:28 PM
Post #2
Group icon
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
User: 7,561
Excellent news - the Town Center EP in 2019 was excellent and I loved “Sludge” last year. Very much looking forward to this. : )

+Quote this post
WhoOdyssey
post May 14 2021, 04:32 PM
Post #3
Group icon
A dead mouse (from my cat)
User: 67,771
Debuts at #4 today! It's a fantastic album, I must give it a second listen at some point soon.

Narrator remains stunning, and G.S.K. is my fave of the new tracks wub.gif

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post May 15 2021, 10:03 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I've been really enjoying both “Narrator” and “Paddling” so far this year - all I've heard has been really good and like a bit of a hybrid between LCD Soundsystem and Talking Heads, but I'm hoping to pick up the album next week ! Great to see them go straight in at No. 4 though.

+Quote this post
Brer
post May 15 2021, 11:38 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I'll just stick around and do some more damage
User: 8,300
I've enjoyed most of the stuff I have heard from them so far but 'Paddling' is definitely an easy standout.

+Quote this post
Brer
post May 30 2021, 06:33 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Had a listen to this as I did like the last two singles and think they are a very interesting and promising band - I am extremely impressed, was much better than I expected! Think this is sitting firmly in my top 5 albums of the year so far.

'2010', 'Peel St.' and 'G.S.K.' are my immediate favourites from the album tracks but I'd say 'Global Groove' is really the only song that's not standing out a lot - I thought that about 'Boy Racers' too for the first couple of minutes but the outro of it was a *.* moment, and 'Documentary Filmmaker' is really nice as a bit of a more subdued moment on the tracklist.

Also I remember not being blown away by 'Narrator' when I first heard it in January but in retrospect I don't know how because it sounded fantastic on the album. 'Paddling' and 'Pamphlets' both sounded better than ever too.

+Quote this post
Doctor Blind
post May 30 2021, 07:24 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Glad to hear that you are enjoying it Bré, agree with u that “Peel St.” and “2010” are the standouts from the album tracks.

Did you ever check out the Town Center EP? “The Cleaner” remains a big favourite of mine, and “Houseplants” is an epic that I underappreciated at the time (only peaked at #20 for me) speaking to generation rent. Ollie Judge's vocals aren't to everyone's tastes but I love it!

+Quote this post
Brer
post May 30 2021, 07:32 PM
Post #8
Group icon
I think I may have heard one or two songs from it but not the whole thing (I forget what exactly I'd listened to from them before this era, I know I've at least heard 'Sludge' and 'Broadcaster') - I'll try and remember to go back and check it out some time soon!

The vocals are definitely an acquired taste (that may be why I wasn't immediately into 'Narrator', I've got a bit more used to it from listening to the subsequent singles) - they kind of remind me of Everything Everything in a sense, obviously a bit heavier / a more punk edge but I see similar levels of versatility and general ~manic energy~.

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:20 AM