BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Arctic Monkeys 'Whatever People Say I Am...' RATE RESULTS!, it's all getting on top of me!
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
jonny
post 12th June 2018, 08:17 PM
Post #1
Group icon
i would beg to disagree but begging disagrees with me
User: 3,646

Apologies for the delay - I can finally bring you the results of the 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not' rate.

Results will start shortly and continue throughout the week, with the 'Favourite Worst Nightmare' thread posted over the weekend for people to vote in Part 2!

A few little facts before we begin:
  • There were a total of 10 voters.
  • The average score, across all 10 voters and all songs, was 8.4.
  • The highest average score came from DalekTurret34, whose average score came out to 9.7!
  • The lowest average score came from Theo; he only rated each track at 7.3, with Jester the only other with an average score below 8 (7.8).
  • Everyone handed out the highest possible individual score of 11; the lowest score amongst all posters was again from Theo and Jester, who each scored one song 4.
Predictions welcome!

Here are the links in case people would like to listen as the results come in:

Spotify Playlist

YouTube Playlist

This post has been edited by jonny: 12th June 2018, 10:22 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
jonny
post 12th June 2018, 08:27 PM
Post #2
Group icon

13. 'Riot Van'

Average Score: 7
Highest Score: 9 (DalekTurret32, NickF1)
Lowest Score: 4 (Theo)

Lyric: "Have you been drinking, son? You don't look old enough to me."
"I'm sorry, officer, is there a certain age you're supposed to be? 'Cause nobody told me."

Genius Commentary

I must admit, this isn't a track which has stuck with me very much over the years. A little slower, more openly reflective than the majority of other tracks on their debut, Riot Van is a rather blunt, rather sardonic take on a group of people who simply want to have a laugh and don't care too much for the consequences.

The Monkeys haven't played Riot Van live for nearly 12 years, so maybe it isn't one they hold particularity dear to their hearts either.

This post has been edited by jonny: 12th June 2018, 08:29 PM

+Quote this post
jonny
post 12th June 2018, 08:40 PM
Post #3
Group icon

12. 'Perhaps Vampires is a Bit Strong But...'

Average Score: 7.2
Highest Score: 9.5 (DalekTurret32)
Lowest Score: 5 (Theo)

Lyric: I ain't got no dollar signs in my eyes.
That might be a surprise but it's true, said, I'm not like you.

Genius Commentary

'Perhaps Vampires...' is a solid track which chronicles the Arctic's dismay and disillusionment with individuals who were jumping on to the bandwagon at the time their popularity started to grow.
One of the first bands to become truly popular due to the 'MySpace culture' of sharing and popularising their music, they appear to be attacking the 'vampires' who are keen to suck the enjoyment out of their music for return for financial gain. I've always thought the sound of this one was good, and very typical of the sound of the album as a whole, but it tends to get lost in array of stronger tracks.

This is another track that they haven't played live since 2006 - below is a video of the penultimate time they played the track, at Reading Festival. Were you there?!

This post has been edited by jonny: 12th June 2018, 09:34 PM

+Quote this post
jonny
post 12th June 2018, 09:34 PM
Post #4
Group icon

11. 'You Probably Couldn't See For The Lights But You Were Staring Straight After Me'

Average Score: 7.3
Lowest Score: 5 (Theo)

Lyric: And oh, I'm so tense, never tenser, could all go a bit Frank Spencer
and I'm talking gibberish. Tip of the tongue but I can't deliver it,
properly,

Genius Commentary

I have always personally really enjoyed 'You Probably Couldn't See...'; I found it catchy, lyrically very clever and one of the more memorable tracks on AM's first album. What is essentially a song all about one's naivety in believing that someone is looking at, and ostensibly admiring, you, when in reality it is more likely that they are just looking past or even through you, I suppose it appealed to my 13-year-old self and the foolish thoughts that I was having at the time. I love how candid he is with the lyrics: "You had us all standing on our heads", "One look sends it coursing through the veins" and "Say anything and I'll agree" are statements which I'm sure that anyone who has suffered from a childish, non-mutual crush has experienced.

They last played this track during the 'Favourite Worst Nightmare' tour in 2007 - I for one would love to see it come back to their setlist.

This post has been edited by jonny: 12th June 2018, 09:34 PM

+Quote this post
jonny
post 12th June 2018, 09:45 PM
Post #5
Group icon

10. 'Dancing Shoes'

Average Score: 8.05
Lowest Score: 7 (Theo, Jonny, Iz, Jester)

Lyric: I said, the shit, shock, horror.
You've seen your future bride, yeah.
Yeah, but it's oh so absurd.
For you to say the first word so you're waiting and waiting.

Genius Commentary

You can read my above comment for an analysis on this one; another song about romantic naivety and folly. A staple of their earlier performances but not one that I remember with too much fondness, and I've actually grown to like it less and less over the years, and it's possibly my least favourite AM track from this album, on balance.

That being said, 'Dancing Shoes is Arctic Monkeys' 8th most played song during live performances, and they last played it during the 'AM tour in 2014. Below is a performance from Reading 2014

+Quote this post
DalekTurret32
post 14th June 2018, 06:00 PM
Post #6
Group icon
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
User: 21,666

LOL at my name popping up on the highest score in nearly every song

+Quote this post
jonny
post 26th June 2018, 08:56 PM
Post #7
Group icon

Okay, so this has clearly gone on long enough, so I'm going to announce all up to the top three tracks tonight, and then do those songs over this week, before I put the 'FWN' rate up.

So, here we go:

09. Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured (Avg. 8.2) Highest: NickF1 9.5; Lowest: Theo, RabbitFurCoat and Jester 7
08. Still Take You Home (Avg. 8.25) Highest: RabbitFurCoat, DalekTurret32 and Jonny 10; Lowest: Jester 4
07. The View From The Afternoon (Avg. 8.3) Highest: DalekTurret32 and Grandwicky 10; Lowest: Jester 6
06. Fake Tales of San Francisco (Avg. 8.35) Highest: NickF1 10; Lowest: RabbitFurCoat and Theo 6
05. From the Ritz to the Rubble (Avg. 8.45) Highest: Grandwicky 11; Lowest: Jester, gavindeejay and NickF1 7
04. Mardy Bum (Avg. 9.35) Highest: Grandwicky, Iz, Jester and RabbitFurCoat 10; Lowest: gavindeejay 7

So that leaves three tracks battling out for the top spot: 'When The Sun Goes Down', 'A Certain Romance' and 'I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor'. There's just 0.3 points which separate the top three, and an incredible 0.05 which separate the top two!

Just a few comments from me on the tracks in the middle - some of my favourite AM songs of all time on this list, especially 'Red Lights' (which I still think of every time I take a taxi), 'Still Take You Home' and 'From the Ritz to the Rubble', which they recently played live for the first time since 2011 at a charity gig in London. I've posted the video of that performance below. The only songs they play from that album with any regularity these days are 'Dancefloor' and 'The View From The Afternoon'; unfortunately, many of these songs haven't been able to find their way on set lists for the best part of ten years!

Finally, it's interesting how one's own tastes can change in such a small space of time. I gave 'Mardy Bum' a 9 during the rate, but a few weeks later I probably wouldn't give it any more than a 7.5. This wouldn't have made too much difference to the overall score, but it's interesting to think how your personal preferences can be altered in such a small amount of time.

And here's the only other track they've played on the 'TBH+C' tour from the first album, apart from those mentioned above: an a capella verse from Mardy Bum:

This post has been edited by jonny: 26th June 2018, 08:57 PM

+Quote this post
jonny
post 2nd July 2018, 09:51 PM
Post #8
Group icon

03. 'A Certain Romance'

Average Score: 9.6
Highest Score: 11 (Rooney, jonny)
Lowest Score: 8 (Theo, NickF1)

Lyric: But over there, there's friends of mine
What can I say? I've known 'em for a long, long time
And they might overstep the line
But you just cannot get angry in the same way.

Genius Commentary

Ahhhh 'A Certain Romance'. The first AM song I really fell in love with, and the soundtrack to Year 9. Still in my personal top 5 AM songs of all time.

Although it was a staple of their earlier gigs, and usually the show-closer, it's not been played very often since the 'Humbug' tour era. Below is the hitherto last live performance of the song - an acoustic version at T In The Park 2014.

This post has been edited by jonny: 2nd July 2018, 09:52 PM

+Quote this post
jonny
post 2nd July 2018, 10:04 PM
Post #9
Group icon

02. 'When The Sun Goes Down'

Average Score: 9.85
Highest Score: 11 (RabbitFurCoat, DalekTurret32, Iz, NickF1)
Lowest Score: 8 (Rooney, Grandwicky)

Lyric: Bet she's delighted when she sees him
Pulling in and giving her the eye
Because she must be f***ing freezing
Scantily-clad beneath the clear night sky
It don't stop in the winter, no.

Genius Commentary

I never used to have much time for 'When the Sun Goes Down' but it's grown on me significantly since I first heard it all those years ago.

This is another one which has been a regular on AM setlists over the years, although they haven't played it all on their current tour. Below is a video taken from Glastonbury 2013.

----------

01. 'I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor'

Average Score: 9.9
Highest Score: 11 (Jester, gavindeejay, Theo)
Lowest Score: 8 (RabbitFurCoat)

Lyric: Oh, there ain't no love, no Montagues or Capulets
Just banging tunes and DJ sets and
Dirty dance floors and dreams of naughtiness.

Genius Commentary

Winning by just 0.05 points, 'I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor' is, I imagine, the song that most people heard first when they discovered the Arctic Monkeys. Coupled with the famous video where they state "Don't believe the hype", before launching into what is possibly their most iconic track. This song is essentially a microcosm of their first album - lyrically and musically - although it's interesting that they recently stated in an interview that the song didn't mean much then, and that it means even less now.

This is, by far, the most played AM live song of all time. They're still playing it on their current tour in fact - below is a video taken from the Best Kept Secret Festival.

I will post the 'Favourite Worst Nightmare' rate up soon!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 26th April 2024, 03:14 PM