BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> What makes Sugababes so special?, What’s their unique selling point?
Track this thread | Email this thread | Print this thread | Download this thread | Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post 20th May 2021, 10:43 PM
Post #1
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
Pronouns: he/him
User: 21,587

This isn’t meant to be a critical post, it’s just there have been so many girl groups over the years, and many are fondly remembered, including of course chart sensations the Sugababes… but what is it about their music that makes them unique compared with other girl bands from that era and why is it they still have a large following to this day?

As a neutral, and someone whose looking to rediscover music by Sugababes that I may have forgotten, I’m very intrigued to hear the variety of answers given! smile.gif
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Silas
post 20th May 2021, 11:19 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Queen of Soon
User: 3,474

The Sugababes are special for three quite simple reasons.

Mutya Buena.
Keisha Buchanan.
Siobhan Donaghy.

Their Three part harmony is at the core of what made the sugababes the sugababes. It’s pure, raw, Talent. Three voices that seamlessly blend together and the touch of magic that happens when they work together.

That they were encouraged to write from very early on by Cameron McVey (aka Mabels literal father) really helped shape what they were to become. They’re a band that had a tight Three Part harmony that wrote a lot of their own material.

For the era, that they could turn up and be Note perfect live was rare. They also refused to mime. You could always tell when they lost the argument and a TV show made them mime to playback because they were hopeless at it.

Hard work and pure Talent.

As it went on they became more known for a revolving door but Heidi brought an aura of accessibility to the babes, but sounded better in the studio than out of it. In the Studio her harmonies were great but by far the weakest of the 6 live. Amelle brought serious vocal ability to the table with her lovely husky tone. They still had that three part harmony going to the end, although the best form of it is still the original.

They mixed genres a lot between pop and rnb and garage (not forgetting that their Brit Award is for Best British Dance Act???) and That, along with Overload, Freak and Round Round really lead the way for a revitalised British pop scene and laid the groundwork for what would go on to be success for Girls Aloud and Saturdays and Little Mix and a lot of other British artists.

Xenomania really started their boundary pushing work with the Sugababes and then really elevated from that platform with Girls Aloud. (As Keisha notes on one of her vlogs and in the past on Insta, the Babes actually laid a lot of melodies that Xenomania then used uncredited. Keisha has footage of them developing the melody for Something New that they ultimately passed on before it went to GA)

I didn’t truly appreciate it until Scala (their 2013 MKS comeback gig And the first time they performed together since 2001) just how special the original line up was together. They had a special connection and a little of the spark is lost with each line up.

I could go on for ever about these three. Honestly this band is ride or die for me.

A tl;dr version:

This is flawless talent. Keisha and Siobhan lock eyes and share a smile in the first Chorus while belting out a perfect harmony. If that’s not talent I don’t know what is

The video and Audio gets out of sync during the middle 8 for a sec but then fixes itself again pretty quick.

But I think the best way to show what makes them truly special is this:

Caught In A Moment is the final single from Three which makes it a 2.0 track. This is the first and to date only time Siobhan has performed this live. and she f***ing NAILS it. I fell in love again with the Original after this, but Siobhan improves it, makes it her own with her Riffs And seemlessly integrates and elevates that harmony to a stunning new height. For a song she’s never done live there isn’t a single note out of place, she’s perfectly on cue always and she’s not searching for her cues or anything she just instinctively knows when to sing. Sure this will have been rehearsed to death before but you can’t rehearse a natural connection like that. You can’t rehearse a perfectly flawless in sync harmony like that. They operate together on a special wavelength.

Theres just something magic that happens when MKS sing together

+Quote this post
Silas
post 20th May 2021, 11:22 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Queen of Soon

f*** That was long 😆

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 21st May 2021, 09:24 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

I was young when they started but I remember loving that they had something a little different that made them special — they were cool. Looking back now, they incorporated mainstream pop music with genres that were more 'indie' in the British scene at the time, and they did it effortlessly.

Of course, with each album and lineup change, that magic and effortlessness disappeared — and so did my love for them.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 21st May 2021, 10:16 AM
Post #5
Group icon
Queen of Soon

That’s a lot more eloquently put than I could manage last night 😂

I do largely agree with that. My love didn’t leave until Keisha gate when it vanished overnight and I do consider Three their masterpiece, but yes. The spark was lost with every release and line up after that for me

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 21st May 2021, 10:34 AM
Post #6
Group icon
---
User: 17,418

QUOTE(Quarantilas @ May 21 2021, 10:16 AM) *

I do largely agree with that. My love didn’t leave until Keisha gate when it vanished overnight and I do consider Three their masterpiece, but yes. The spark was lost with every release and line up after that for me

I have to agree with these thoughts. The Three era was incredible. 20 tracks of pure class (b-sides included). I haven’t listened to the album in a while but I’m confident to say not a single dud amongst them.

I also lost the love with each passing line up change, saying that though Change and Catfights & Spotlights do have some great songs on them.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 21st May 2021, 01:08 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
User: 21,587

I’m definitely going to listen to their back catalogue in the coming days just to relive some of that “magic” that is spoken of. I genuinely did like much of their music at the time, and agree that their best was at the start of their career.

I just used to find myself making comparisons with Atomic Kitten at one time, maybe due to the lineup changes perhaps. But also it was a case of another 3-piece pop group making strides in the charts and featuring on the Now compilations regularly. In later years I would have compared their style to more of what Girls Aloud offered, and when they collaborated for comic relief I could see why it worked.

I liked Mutya’s solo releases from 2007, but I didn’t care much more for any other solo projects done.

+Quote this post
Silas
post 21st May 2021, 01:14 PM
Post #8
Group icon
Queen of Soon

Oh the atomic kitten comparison wounds me deeply 🤕

Siobhans second solo effort, Ghosts, is a magnificent work of art. Very worth a revisit. I could list highlights but I’d just be reciting the tracklist. Id start with Medevac maybe. Considering it was released at the same time as Real Girl, it holds up so much better 14 years on

+Quote this post
Chemistry
post 21st May 2021, 05:33 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,588

This is actually a good question, something I have been thinking about a lot recently. I am a big fan of most British girlgroups (Spice Girls, Girls Aloud, All Saints... you name them), but the Sugababes always had something different. A slight edge, they felt really cool and felt authentic. When you look at One Touch, especially considering how young they were, they co-wrote most of the songs, had their own image (didn't feel the need to smile, no dance routines) and did not feel manufactured at all. Obviously their vocals played a big part as well, the harmonies of 1.0 are outstanding and I can't think of a British girlgroup who could come close to that.

Sadly things changed after Taller.. Maybe even before that, as there first three albums felt the most 'them'. Taller.. is good, but also has some more poppier moments and it just went downhill after that. While About You Now is obviously a massive anthem and genuine great pop song, it could have been sung by anyone. It wasn't them anymore and therefore I always look back with bittersweet feelings when thinking or talking about their career.

QUOTE(Quarantilas @ May 21 2021, 01:14 PM) *
Oh the atomic kitten comparison wounds me deeply 🤕

Hahaha! As much as I LOVE Atomic Kitten (and I really do), I could never see the comparison. To me the Sugababes were always the younger sister of All Saints, compared to Girls Aloud feeling more like the younger sisters of the Spice Girls.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 21st May 2021, 09:33 PM
Post #10
Group icon
---

I’d say All .Saints came close to the Sugababes 1.0.

Both supremely talented vocalists.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 21st May 2021, 09:49 PM
Post #11
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530

It's interesting because I completely understand why the first 3 or 4 albums are considered their best, they're objectively the strongest and most artistic Sugababes albums for sure. On a personal, subjective level though, I've actually got more time for Taller, Change and Catfights! That's mostly a nostalgia thing, though, I was truly obsessed with them for those few years in particular and those few albums defined quite a sizeable chunk of my childhood. Even when they went more "poppy" than their earlier music, they still did it with class and sophistication (for the most part, Sweet 7 seemed to lose some of that as much as I enjoy it in its own right lol). Change is a really solid pop album and my personal favourite of theirs!

+Quote this post
blacksquare
post 22nd May 2021, 10:19 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 23,471

Atomic Kitten comparisons are unacceptable and All Saints are the only comparison I'll accept.

QUOTE(Quarantilas @ May 21 2021, 10:16 AM) *

'One Touch' will always be my favourite, but I do love 'Three' (and Angels). I don't think the diminishing returns really kicked in until after those. I wanted to love each new release though.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 23rd May 2021, 07:11 AM
Post #13
Group icon
---

Slightly off topic but I’d love to hear them cover All Saints Never Ever. I think they’d do a pretty good job at it.

+Quote this post
spiceboy
post 23rd May 2021, 09:16 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 39,568

QUOTE(Quarantilas @ May 21 2021, 12:19 AM) *
The Sugababes are special for three quite simple reasons.
Mutya Buena.
Keisha Buchanan.
Siobhan Donaghy.
Their Three part harmony is at the core of what made the sugababes the sugababes. It’s pure, raw, Talent. Three voices that seamlessly blend together and the touch of magic that happens when they work together.

See I disagree with this as for me the Mutya, Keisha, Heidi line up is the definitive Sugababes (and probably the only one the public would have any time for). For me while I like the original line up (like I also like the 3rd line up) their spark didn't really come out properly until Freak and the follow up releases. Before that they were a little bit boring songs wise (some beautiful tracks but not much edge to them) wheres from Freak onwards they had a bit more funk a bit more sass a bit more edge to them.

At the end of the day what made Sugababes so defining was their incredible songs, their best ones (for me) were between Angels to Taller albums, the ones before and after have some great moments and some highlights but don't touch the other three albums... they are the sacred three.

+Quote this post
m
post 23rd May 2021, 10:17 PM
Post #15
Group icon
I asked for my account to be banned
User: 7,132

Sugababes have always been my favourite girlband. They're pretty much the only one I can think of that I still (somewhat) actively listen to. Shamefully I have to admit, I've only listened to the first three albums in full but love them all, especially One Touch and Three, but Angels... was my first album from them. I really should add (some of) the other albums to my listen-later list, it's not too long currently biggrin.gif

They just always had such a cool and slightly 'different' sound to me, and I like their voices and the way they blend. Mutya has my favourite voice, followed by Siobhan. I was thinking of re-listening to Mutya's solo album the other day. Another one for the list. Siobhan's solo albums are really great too, including the lesser known Revolution in Me which I just revisited the other day and really enjoyed it!

They're a really creative girlband.

+Quote this post
One_For_Sorrow
post 24th May 2021, 07:38 AM
Post #16
Group icon
---

I don’t mind Heidi and I really like the 2.0 lineup though 1.0 is my favourite, it would be great to get more than one album for them.

I think Spiceboy is right though the general public would only really be here for a 2.0 reunion.

+Quote this post
Perriechu
post 24th May 2021, 08:35 AM
Post #17
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 109,885

QUOTE(spiceboy @ May 23 2021, 10:16 PM) *
See I disagree with this as for me the Mutya, Keisha, Heidi line up is the definitive Sugababes (and probably the only one the public would have any time for). For me while I like the original line up (like I also like the 3rd line up) their spark didn't really come out properly until Freak and the follow up releases. Before that they were a little bit boring songs wise (some beautiful tracks but not much edge to them) wheres from Freak onwards they had a bit more funk a bit more sass a bit more edge to them.

At the end of the day what made Sugababes so defining was their incredible songs, their best ones (for me) were between Angels to Taller albums, the ones before and after have some great moments and some highlights but don't touch the other three albums... they are the sacred three.

I agree with this, Siobhan's voice in the beginning was a bit uncontrolled and piercing- so that's why I never clicked with One Touch and I still think they weren't that great back then, the Heidi era was what I preferred as that's essentially what I grew up with.

To me the Sugababes niche in the industry at the time was their harmonies. Girls Aloud weren't great singers (for the most part) but had a decent sound behind them and also put on a decent number, Spice Girls obviously were the Spice Girls and All Saints, whilst having pretty harmonies never really stood out as vocalists, at this point in the early 00s there was a vocal group missing and Sugababes filled that role perfectly.

Not to mention they did the "pop/r&b" sound better than any other group during that era and when they implemented Garage it was just stunning. Keisha was also a strong personality in her own right and she was so enjoyable to watch, despite the nasty rumours.

I would really love a follow-up album with just those three, I didn't like Sacred Three at all, I just never clicked w/it but Flatline was v good.

In a dream scenario I would like a collab with Little Mix doing a midtempo r&b song where they just play with harmonies and each person's unique tone, that or a massive dance/garage track.

+Quote this post
Sacred3
post 6th May 2022, 02:28 AM
Post #18
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 150,421

3 words = Mutya Kiesha Siobhan

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread