BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Nerve, Emma Roberts & Dave Franco
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J❄️hq
post Aug 7 2016, 09:45 AM
Post #1
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

Love Emma Roberts, love the look of this, hope it translates well to a full movie.

Released next weekend
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
mdh
post Aug 7 2016, 10:01 AM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 22,776
I'm SO hyped for this.

+Quote this post
Regina
post Aug 7 2016, 11:08 PM
Post #3
Group icon
Raining Shitter
User: 5,572
It'd probably be something I'd enjoy if Emma Roberts wasn't in it, hard to believe she is from the same family as Julia but got no charisma or talent.

+Quote this post
post Aug 7 2016, 11:14 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I love this film. It's a bit trashy but it's fun at the same time. Really unique and engaging as well as often being very tense. Soundtrack is also A+. It's the kinda film I would have been obsessed with as a teen.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Aug 8 2016, 04:47 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
This looks amazing, we haven't had a teen thriller kind of film in an absolute age either so it's refreshing to see. Binge watching this, The Shallows and Lights Out next weekend, seriously can't wait.

+Quote this post
Harve
post Aug 8 2016, 10:54 PM
Post #6
Group icon
Cœur poids plume
User: 4,718
I adored the visuals - so full of garish colour (especially the end credits!) and the soundtrack was great too. The claustrophobic presence of technology everywhere communicated the film's message a lot better than the plot did in the final third. It all got a bit PREACHY.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Aug 11 2016, 10:03 PM
Post #7
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
This was good. But that's pretty much all I can muster up. I like the idea of it and there were a couple of tense moments, but everything still felt a bit generic? It's good as a film to pass the time, but I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to watch it again. It was enjoyable and trashy, like Joe said, but it didn't leave me wanting more or anything. Reminded me of 'The Purge', tbh. Another film in which I like the concept more than the actual movie.

Overall I'd say it was enjoyable enough and a few tense moments, but pretty generic in it's execution. A visual treat and the soundtrack is great!

A 6/10 for me, I think.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Aug 11 2016, 10:41 PM
Post #8
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
TheSnake - you can keep your trolling out of the Movies forum. Thank you.

+Quote this post
post Aug 12 2016, 09:52 PM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
Watched it again tonight and still think it was a really fun film! The colours and music really elevate it. I don't think it's generic at all, I think it's a really interesting and unique film. It is aimed at teens so that has to be remembered, but I think some of the one liners are really great. 'White people problems' and when she's in the mirror 'hey, what's your email number'.

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post Aug 12 2016, 10:01 PM
Post #10
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
I just felt it tried to be unique whilst falling a bit flat in that respect. I just thought it was all executed in such a "oh." Sort of way. Nothing made me think "holy shit" or anything (although some of the scenes were very well shot and I suffered from vertigo in a scene or two lol)

+Quote this post
UltraCruelSummer
post Aug 12 2016, 10:02 PM
Post #11
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947
QUOTE(Regina @ Aug 8 2016, 12:08 AM) *
It'd probably be something I'd enjoy if Emma Roberts wasn't in it, hard to believe she is from the same family as Julia but got no charisma or talent.

Yeah I'm pretty much the same, she annoys me so much

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Aug 14 2016, 08:27 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
I don't get the hate for Emma Roberts, I've always thought she was really good. She may play the same sort of character but so do a lot of people and she does it well imo.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post Aug 15 2016, 09:40 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51
Love love love Emma Roberts. wub.gif

I enjoyed this, it wasn't the best film ever but it had enough to keep me interested and had a few really tense moments. It's a good illustration of the lengths some people go to to get noticed on social media.

+Quote this post
Hadji
post Aug 20 2016, 04:02 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 21,386
I really wanted to see this but both my local cinemas have stopped screening it only after one week, same with Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Aug 21 2016, 03:22 PM
Post #15
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Really enjoyed this! So tense, and the general feel/editing was amazing. The height scenes were crazy.

Only thing I would say is Emma Roberts played a fairly unlikeable lead and I love her usually, also the dares were fairly tame and could've done much more.

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post Aug 21 2016, 04:12 PM
Post #16
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053
Also enjoyed this, if not in my top 5 of the year. Was interesting to see what dares would crop up next time even if as has been said they were a bit underwhelming on the whole.

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Aug 22 2016, 10:54 PM
Post #17
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
QUOTE(Jack @ Aug 21 2016, 04:22 PM) *
Really enjoyed this! So tense, and the general feel/editing was amazing. The height scenes were crazy.

Only thing I would say is Emma Roberts played a fairly unlikeable lead and I love her usually, also the dares were fairly tame and could've done much more.

I didn't find her unlikeable particularly, maybe in a scene or two where what she'd become as a result of the game was for the worse, I thought her friend was worse though but then they both got redemption. I don't get the hate for her either though, I loved her in We're The Millers, Scream Queens and what I saw of AHS.

I thought the motorcycle dare was tense but then they stepped it up even more, especially what they had Dave Franco doing towards the end!!

Agreed with Harve that it got a bit preachy (Vee's speech) but I really liked how they wrapped it up, so it didn't feel like a cop out at all, and I liked the message it had about technology and society in general today.

Loved the entire vibe of it, was gripped throughout, 9/10 and one of my favourites of the year. If I picked something wrong with it, I thought the mum felt a bit misplaced.

+Quote this post
Cowboy Cody
post Aug 24 2016, 04:57 PM
Post #18
Group icon
new hair, new tee, new Levii’s Jeans
User: 21,308
I did think some of the dares were a bit underwhelming, but I thought that was the purpose of the game. The more interesting/intimidating the dare is, the more money the game will give the players. It's like the Teams subforum only no one gets hurt irl. The train track scene made my skin crawl (especially after seeing the "people failing" montages). I see the message that the movie is trying to portray: I've seen articles and posts on tumblr of people doing similar stuff for Pokemon Go.

To be fair about the whole Emma Roberts thing, at least Vee's character isn't in the Madison Montgomery/Chanel Oberlin archetype.

+Quote this post
Cassidy
post Aug 25 2016, 12:10 AM
Post #19
Group icon
i'm massive
User: 41
QUOTE(Harve @ Aug 8 2016, 11:54 PM) *
I adored the visuals - so full of garish colour (especially the end credits!) and the soundtrack was great too.

Yeah they were probably the two most fun aspects for me.

It did just about enough to keep me from switching off but I didn't think it was anywhere near as gripping as the plot could've suggested. It was pretty much a watered down version of what I was expecting throughout and the ending had me a bit 'yeah okay then'.

Still that was one way to pas a boring Wednesday evening.

+Quote this post
lotita
post Aug 28 2016, 09:59 PM
Post #20
Group icon
feminist icon
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,777
FINALLY SEEN THIS HOLY SHIT IT WAS INCREDIBLE

+Quote this post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:58 PM