BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Midnight Special, 8th April | Massively Recommend
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
UltraCruelSummer
post 10th April 2016, 09:55 PM
Post #1
Group icon
It's a cruel summer.
User: 20,947

Stars Michael Shannon, Joel Edgerton, Kirsten Dunst, Jaeden Liecheber and Adam Driver and came out this weekend!

I'll update this post and post a full review on Tuesday when I'm not tired/ill/at a gig but this is absolutely phenomenal! Massively recommend this and easily one of the best films of the past few years!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post 10th April 2016, 10:05 PM
Post #2
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674

I don't feel like I understood a lot of it, especially in regards to how it ended. But I liked it. It didn't leave me disappointed/feeling 'meh', but I didn't love it in a way that I'd watch it a second time, I simply liked and enjoyed it.

+Quote this post
post 10th April 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

Kirsten Dunst was so good in it though

+Quote this post
Josh!
post 12th April 2016, 10:12 AM
Post #4
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692

I really did not enjoy this at all. I was hoping it would be this year's Ex Machina being a very good sci-fi early release that gets a lot of buzz but I was massively disappointed. The main thing was that it was just so boring, nothing really happened at all apart from a few 30 second moments and I felt like the film would never end, I almost fell asleep when the five minutes of different angled shots of the alien city place scene happened. The other thing was that it was all just so confusing, I understand they left loads of unanswered questions because it's supposed to be some elitist indie flick but it felt like the film itself didn't even know the answers to the questions. I mean why could he not go into the sun for half the film? Why did he have to go that field to do the blowy up thing? Why did Adam Driver circle random numbers on a board and figure out where to go? What even were his powers? How did he get them? Too many unanswered questions which I felt should have been answered instead of more boring dialogue scenes.

The only good things I can say was that the acting was excellent, Michael Shannon being the big highlight but I also think Kirsten Dunst did a very good job too. I also thought some scenes were quite thrilling occasionally, I loved the petrol station scene and the traffic jam scene where they realise the boy has been taken but really, good moments were lacking and I didn't enjoy this much at all.

Ehhh sad.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 14th April 2016, 11:57 PM
Post #5
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Really enjoyed this. I love it when the smaller films come out of the woodwork and surprise. Adam Driver was particularly good but so were Kirsten and the rest of the cast. I loved how it didn't really explain a lot, but gave you enough information for you to come to your own conclusions/form your own ideas. This felt familiar, but not too familiar and it was executed with a lot of care.

My only criticism would be that it didn't have enough of the A.I./the use of his powers and stuff. I felt they could've done a bit more, but I'm happy with it either way. I'd watch it again, for sure.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 16th April 2016, 08:46 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

Baffled how this is getting such strong praise! Nothing actually happened and it was really boring in how it told its story too.

+Quote this post
post 20th April 2016, 01:01 PM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931

I hate the "nothing happens" line. Not all audiences need to be spoonfed. And in actual fact, a lot happens, it's an emotional journey and a really intriguing study of the humanity and family.

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post 20th April 2016, 10:35 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223

I like movies that are subtle and I don't mind slow paced, but the dialogue wasn't very interesting at all and I didn't feel like I really knew the characters even though the majority of the movie was talking!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 24th April 2024, 05:35 AM