BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> American Beauty vs American Psycho
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
HausofKubrick
post 25th January 2015, 07:58 PM
Post #1
Group icon
User: 13,007

Inspired by the Fall Out Boy album of the same name, what do we think of these two iconic and ground-breaking films?

The first is a critique of American idealism. One of the most talked about films perhaps of all time, because of how raw and visceral its portrayal of society is. Full of quotable, giffable moments that will ensure it forever remains a classic. The second, led by an almighty performance by Christian Bale is based on the novel of the same name from the early 90s and set off the noughties in bloody fashion. In no way linked to 'Beauty' but it does show that darker underbelly of American society that that film also highlighted, but in a more direct, graphic way.

Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 25th January 2015, 08:01 PM
Post #2
Group icon
User: 13,007
Both are wonderfully acted, and freakishly eye-opening, merging comedy, horror, satire and suspense.

I think 'American Beauty' edges it for me though - the ending, which i will keep concealed for those that haven't seen it, remains heart shuddering every time i watch it. It's one of those films that i always forget about until it's on TV or i re-watch it, and it always seems like a first time viewing. So much to unpack but never once overwhelming, because you can ignore all the deep meanings behind it and just enjoy it for what it is. A true classic~

+Quote this post
post 25th January 2015, 08:44 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 19,931
I am a massive fan of American Psycho the book - one of my favourite authors. I saw the musical last year too and it was interesting! The film is good - but I have issues with it that I can't be arsed to go into.

American Beauty is a huge classic and I absolutely loved it back in the day - watched it numerous times. But I actually re-watched it a couple of years ago after having not watched it in a while and I honestly feel as though time hasn't been kind to it. It hasn't aged well.

This post has been edited by Joe.: 30th January 2015, 03:12 PM

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 29th January 2015, 08:13 PM
Post #4
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042
Only ever seen 'American Psycho' the once and loved it. Christian Bale's performance is by FAR the clear standout though. However, I have literally just seen 'American Beauty' for the first time. What a stunning film that is! So raw and it's just so of it's time and you can clearly see it's an automatic classic.

I prefer 'American Beauty' as a film, but Christian Bale's portrayal of Patrick Bateman in 'American Psycho' is one of the most definitive performances of our time.

But Kevin Spacey >>>>>> Everybody else.

"I RULE!" Yes you do. Yes. You do.

+Quote this post
Severin
post 30th January 2015, 01:46 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Mansonette
User: 9,872
American Psycho - Loved the book, hated the film.

American Beauty - Still haven't bothered watching it

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 23rd April 2024, 01:25 PM