BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Joseph's Hit 300 | Year-End 2018 **FULL LIST PG 15**, including Anne-Marie, Why Don't We, Rita Ora and Troye Sivan
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post Dec 9 2018, 08:03 PM
Post #21
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

QUOTE(sergejdordij98 @ Dec 9 2018, 07:15 PM) *
From the albums I like the James Bay, Jonas Blue and Sigala albums!
It had many songs on there that I really like!
David Guetta's and Mariah Carey's albums had a couple songs that I enjoy as well.
Need to listen to the other albums soon.

Thanks so much Serge!! biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jamie Barkley
post Dec 9 2018, 08:10 PM
Post #22
BuzzJack Regular
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,056
   No Gallery Pics

James Bay, Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey are the only albums I've listened to fully out of those so far. A very mixed bunch. I mostly enjoyed Mariah's and Christina's but James's was a bit of let down (and I'm one of the 3 people who actually liked Wild Love!)

This post has been edited by Jamie Barkley: Dec 9 2018, 08:11 PM

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Dec 9 2018, 08:14 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(Jamie Barkley @ Dec 9 2018, 08:10 PM) *
James Bay, Christina Aguilera and Mariah Carey are the only albums I've listened to fully out of those so far. A very mixed bunch. I mostly enjoyed Mariah's and Christina's but James's was a bit of let down (and I'm one of the 3 people who actually liked Wild Love!)

Thanks Jamie!! Totally agree on James' album, Wild Love was actually a brilliant track (I'll talk more about it during the songs countdown) but the album didn't quite live up it unfortunately.

+Quote Post
Calum
post Dec 9 2018, 08:18 PM
Post #24
nabad
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 18,316

Not here for Blue being lower than Brighter Days and Guetta xx

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Dec 9 2018, 08:21 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(Calum @ Dec 9 2018, 08:18 PM) *
Not here for Blue being lower than Brighter Days and Guetta xx

They're all very similar in quality for me tbf x

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Dec 9 2018, 08:22 PM
Post #26

Albums

30 Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour | 2-7-8-10-12-13-13-15-x (8 weeks)

Another country album now, and interestingly, the only album in my top 40 EOY that didn't produce any singles top 40 hits. That's not to belittle Kacey Musgraves though, who achieved her highest charting album to date with Golden Hour, losing out on #1 to Kate Nash's Yesterday Was Forever (which is still to come). It's also her best album to date, with Kacey continuing to trailblaze in country music, crafting her own style and sound while singing about modern topics. It's not difficult to see why her music is so critically acclaimed and accessible for people who may not be here for the traditional style of country music. A great album, and I hope it cleans up during awards season!

Top 40 Hits
None.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

29 Cardi B - Invasion of Privacy | 5-7-9-10-10-10-13-x-15-x (8 non-consecutive weeks)

One of the biggest names of the year, Cardi B's debut album is the second highest album in my countdown not make the top 2. Invasion of Privacy lived up to its preceding singles - it's bold, brashy and introduces Cardi perfectly. I Like It was my instant highlight and I'm so pleased it blossomed into such a massive hit. The album as a whole is one I've returned to in bits and pieces over time - mostly the singles, but songs like Get Up 10 and Ring are excellent too. Cardi also has the highest female rap album in the EOY countdown x

Top 40 Hits
03 I Like It (Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin)
12 Ring (feat. Kehlani)
13 Bartier Cardi (feat. 21 Savage)
27 Bodak Yellow
36 Money

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

28 Years & Years - Palo Santo | 1-4-5-8-9-11-12-x (7 weeks)

Now for the lowest #1 album in the countdown. Years & Years' debut album Communion was my second favourite album of 2015, so quite a drop for the second album, but Palo Santo isn't by any means bad. It's a solid album in fact, and I saw them live on Wednesday (5th Dec) too - it was brilliant, so much fun and even the least familiar album tracks were good to my ears. However, for whatever reason, I've not been drawn back to anything much. A shoutout to All For You, which I underrated way too much as a single - its peak is deceiving! In fact, I think I'd rank the singles in reverse order to their positions laugh.gif

Top 40 Hits
06 Sanctify
13 If You're Over Me
25 All For You

27 Charlie Puth - Voicenotes | 1-3-5-6-10-11-13-13-14-15-x (10 weeks)

Another underwhelming second album, Charlie Puth's Voicenotes is another #1 album to drop out. The album actually grew on me after I was underwhelmed on one listen, and managed a decent chart run in the end, but it's a far cry from the surprise success of Nine Track Mind, which is far superior. The upsetting thing is that Voicenotes actually has a far superior collection of singles - all four are brilliant, even The Way I Am (his first single to miss my top 10 since Marvin Gaye, but it's a deceiving peak). Hopefully a little more quality control for Charlie's next album!

Top 40 Hits
01 How Long
02 Done For Me (feat. Kehlani)
03 Attention
17 The Way I Am

26 Carrie Underwood - Cry Pretty | 2-4-7-8-9-11-13-x (7 weeks)

The highest country album, Carrie Underwood delivered another strong collection. It had a disappointingly short run - I actually thought it had done better, obviously I've not paid anywhere near as much attention as I should have. It's actually the freshest Carrie album in a little while for me. The previous album, Storyteller, was good but felt quite Carrie-by-numbers. However, she takes on refreshing themes on Cry Pretty - speaking up for equality in Love Wins, and singing about gun crime in the gut-wrenching The Bullet.

Top 40 Hits
05 Love Wins
07 Cry Pretty

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 10 2018, 10:08 AM
Post #27
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

I've heard quite a few songs from the Catherine McGrath album, Talk of the Town is definitely the standout although I liked Good Goodbyes as well! Brighter Days is a great album also but had a few too many singles on it for me! Easy Love and Sweet Lovin' were the absolute standouts but Brighter Days and All For Love were great album tracks.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Dec 10 2018, 11:46 AM
Post #28
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Invasion Of Privacy is pretty good.
Palo Santo is a great album from Y&Y.

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Dec 10 2018, 06:59 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(PeteLeftLeeds @ Dec 10 2018, 10:08 AM) *
I've heard quite a few songs from the Catherine McGrath album, Talk of the Town is definitely the standout although I liked Good Goodbyes as well! Brighter Days is a great album also but had a few too many singles on it for me! Easy Love and Sweet Lovin' were the absolute standouts but Brighter Days and All For Love were great album tracks.

Thanks very much Pete!! Glad you enjoyed both albums biggrin.gif

QUOTE(SantaDalek32 @ Dec 10 2018, 11:46 AM) *
Invasion Of Privacy is pretty good.
Palo Santo is a great album from Y&Y.

Thanks Dalek!!

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Dec 10 2018, 07:11 PM
Post #30

Albums

25 FELIX SANDMAN - EMOTIONS | 4-5-8-5-6-8-12-12-15-x (9 weeks)

Former FO&O member Felix Sandman, stylised in capitals, made his solo debut at Melodifestivalen in February, where he went on to finish second with EVERY SINGLE DAY, his very first single. It was an instant top 3 hit in my chart, while follow-up IMPRINT made the top 10 also. The album doesn't quite live up to the high standard of these two, but third single PART OF ME and also LOVISA are among the highlights on what's definitely a cohesive effort. It's the highest album that failed to reach my weekly top 2 as well, so not bad going!

Top 40 Hits
03 EVERY SINGLE DAY
07 IMPRINT
20 PART OF ME

24 Little Mix - LM5 | 2-3-… (2+ weeks)

Another relatively new album here, Little Mix didn't quite make the #1 high of previous album Glory Days thanks to Alec Benjamin's Narrated for You (still to come), but their most consistent effort yet still debuted at an impressive #2. Woman Like Me is not their stongest single, but thankfully it wasn't indicative of the album's quality. Monster In Me and The Cure are brilliant, powerful tracks, while Joan of Arc is a great indicator of the bops included too.

Top 40 Hits
04 Only You (Cheat Codes & Little Mix)
08 Woman Like Me (feat. Nicki Minaj)

23 George Ezra - Staying At Tamara's | 1-3-8-10-11-13-14-14-x (8 weeks)

Although it's far from being the biggest #1 album of my chart this year, George Ezra probably has one of the most surprising. Staying At Tamara's followed up his first #1 single in my chart (Don't Matter Now last year), but it didn't have much longevity and follow-up Paradise only made #28. The album is very strong though, a lot stronger than Wanted On Voyage, which only ever made it as high as #10 for me. Shotgun was the instant highlight on first listen, and I'm so glad it went on to become the big hit it was destined to be.

Top 40 Hits
01 Don't Matter Now
09 Shotgun
28 Paradise

22 Jagwar Twin - Subject to Flooding | 1-2-4-5-7-11-13-x (7 weeks)

Also perhaps a surprising #1 album, Jagwar Twin is the project of Roy English, a singer/songwriter best known for his feature on Alesso's top 10 hit Cool. The Jagwar Twin album showcased Roy's songwriting and vocals brilliantly, and it totally dominated my listening habits for a week. It tailed off rather quickly though, way quicker than I expected, but lead single Loser is an excellent anthem for the outcasts of society, while Move to You is a gorgeous ballad, Long Time Coming is a superb opener and Hell of a Night Pts 1 and 2 close the album in style.

Top 40 Hits
04 Loser
26 Long Time Coming
28 Move to You

21 Bebe Rexha - Expectations | 1-1-3-6-7-12-12-13-13-x (9 weeks)

Bebe's own material has been up and down like crazy in my expectations (no pun intended). Her first EP, I Don't Wanna Grow Up, is often seen as her best material but it's not my favourite. I actually prefer All Your Fault: Pt. 1, which is an excellent short body of work and unfortunately not especially indicative of what was to come. All Your Fault: Pt. 2 was messier and I only really took Meant to Be from it in the end. The album ends up somewhere between those two EPs for me - it's good and left a brilliant first impression, but the tracks ended up merging into one. Shout out to promo singles Ferrari and 2 Souls on Fire, which ended up among the best on the album.

Top 40 Hits
02 Self Control
03 I'm a Mess
10 Meant to Be (Bebe Rexha & Florida Georgia Line)
17 I Got You

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 11 2018, 10:19 AM
Post #31
   No Gallery Pics

Well I've probably heard most of the George album just from his singles laugh.gif Shotgun is amazing obviously, and Pretty Shining People is great as well!

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Dec 11 2018, 04:05 PM
Post #32
   No Gallery Pics

Staying At Tamara's is a good one

+Quote Post
Sergej
post Dec 11 2018, 07:20 PM
Post #33
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 39,723
   No Gallery Pics

Really like the albums of Cardi B, Years & Years, Charlie Puth, Little Mix and George Ezra!
All of those 5 albums are really great!

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Dec 11 2018, 08:17 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(PeteLeftLeeds @ Dec 11 2018, 10:19 AM) *
Well I've probably heard most of the George album just from his singles laugh.gif Shotgun is amazing obviously, and Pretty Shining People is great as well!

QUOTE(SantaDalek32 @ Dec 11 2018, 04:05 PM) *
Staying At Tamara's is a good one

QUOTE(sergejdordij98 @ Dec 11 2018, 07:20 PM) *
Really like the albums of Cardi B, Years & Years, Charlie Puth, Little Mix and George Ezra!
All of those 5 albums are really great!

Thanks so much all of you!!

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Dec 11 2018, 08:44 PM
Post #35

Albums

20 All Saints - Testament | 1-1-2-5-10-10-9-10-13-14-14-15-x (12 weeks)

This album's been boosted a little by their concert on last Thursday - it made me realise I'd placed it a bit too low! All Saints continued the high quality of their comeback with Testament, their second #1 album in my chart. While it's not quite as good as Red Flag for me, it's still a high quality album and probably their most consistent too. Highlights include both singles, as well as Glorious which sounded absolutely incredible live"

Top 40 Hits
08 Love Lasts Forever
24 After All

19 Lily Allen - No Shame | 3-1-3-4-4-6-8-9-14-14-15-15-x (12 weeks)

Lily Allen's always produced high quality albums, and No Shame was no different to me. However, it was pretty different to Sheezus and much more comparable to the first two, with Lily's observations taking centre stage. Lily speaks candidly about her private life, honestly confessing about her marriage and her kids, and we see a vulnerability to Lily Allen that we've never seen before. I'm seeing Lily live next Monday and I'm really excited, she was amazing before so I'm hoping she will be again!

Top 40 Hits
01 Trigger Bang (feat. Giggs)
10 Lost My Mind
40 Family Man
40 Three

18 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood | 4-1-2-3-5-7-8-13-13-14-14-x-4-5-7-13-x (15 non-consecutive weeks)

Another album that benefited from a live concert recently, I wasn't actually very familiar with Youngblood when I saw 5SOS live at Hammersmith Apollo in October. While I enjoyed the shake-up in sound, it didn't grab me like the previous two 5SOS albums. However, the live show proved to me just how many highlights the album has - the singles of course, as well as Talk Fast, Moving Along and Ghost of You.

Top 40 Hits
01 Want You Back
08 Youngblood
36 Valentine

17 Kylie Minogue - Golden | 2-2-5-7-8-9-11-14-13-15-x-10-6-6-7-12-x (15 non-consecutive weeks)

Missing out on the #1 spot to CNCO's self-titled album (still to come), Kylie nevertheless managed her longest-running album to date with Golden. It's a brilliant album which sees Kylie find her feet with her most cohesive album in quite a while. The country-pop style suits her brilliantly, and lead single Dancing really sets the tone. Her tour was incredible too, and it's really put the album comfortably high in my affections, winning Kylie the highest non-#1 album in my EOY.

Top 40 Hits
02 Dancing
10 A Lifetime to Repair
17 Lost Without You
20 Stop Me From Falling
31 Raining Glitter
38 Music's Too Sad Without You (Kylie Minogue & Jack Savoretti)
40 Golden

16 Ariana Grande - Sweetener | 1-3-3-3-6-7-9-9-8-9-7-9-11-15-15-… (15+ weeks)

I didn't love Ariana Grande's Sweetener album quite as much as I'd expected. Dangerous Woman was in my top 3 albums of 2016, and following all of the hype, Sweetener missed the mark a little for me. That's not to say it's bad - I actually think it's a great listen, but the highs aren't as high as Dangerous Woman and I've not returned to it as much. Nevertheless, the singles, especially no tears left to cry, all remain incredible!

Top 40 Hits
01 no tears left to cry
05 God is a woman
19 breathin

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Dec 12 2018, 12:23 PM
Post #36
   No Gallery Pics

No Shame and Sweetener are great pop albums, and Golden is a pretty good fusion of pop and country.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 12 2018, 04:59 PM
Post #37
   No Gallery Pics

Some more albums there I've heard some of, Lily Allen had some nice tracks this year as did Kylie, but her Jack collab was a bit of a damp squib for me.

+Quote Post
Calum
post Dec 12 2018, 05:59 PM
Post #38
nabad
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 18,316

Golden a lot higher than I thought it'd be in here ohmy.gif *.* On the flip side, there's a few I thought would be higher than they are, i.e. Ariana, LM. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
LewisGT
post Dec 12 2018, 10:03 PM
Post #39
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Genre Mod
Member No.: 18,293
   No Gallery Pics

Shame to see that LM5 & Sweetener are out already. Both easily two of my favourite albums of the year although admittedly LM5 is a little bit weaker than Glory Days.

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Dec 13 2018, 07:08 PM
Post #40
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Sigala & Jonas Blue's albums were quite disappointing aside from the singles but I'm glad we got them at all!

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:29 AM