BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> 
11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pete's EOY Top 100 2018, FINISHED!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 2 2018, 02:53 PM
Post #1
Buy yourself a car, and a house in Devon
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Welcome to my Top 100!

The EOY which always starts in December and finishes in March when no-one is looking at this forum is here! Maybe this time I'll finish the countdown in enough time for me to not have to advertise it on my Personal Chart a week later to get anyone to even look at my #1 tongue.gif

Anyway, quite a bit has happened in my chart this year. This is the first year in which every chart had the same number of songs in it which made the points easy enough to calculate, meaning I didn't just rank the songs based on nothing. This was also the year in which my new format remained consistent, meaning that length of chart runs began to increase quite dramatically, with Ikson managing a horrendously long 29 weeks in the Top 100. This year I also came to the sad conclusion that we were unlikely to get any songs as good as 7 Years and therefore permitted songs to spend more than 2 weeks at #1, in order to stop songs getting to #1 which really didn't deserve it (although one still did...). The first song to take advantage of this was Lucid Dreams by Owl City, followed by Snow Patrol, Rasmussen, Rudimental, John Gibbons and AJR. AJR could make themselves the first act to spend a fourth week at #1 this week, although that's more down to the fact that there are no other songs decent enough for it than any merit of the song itself.

This year also saw the re-introduction of debut #1s for the first time since my Top 15 switched to a Top 40. The first debut #1 was Monsters by Saara Aalto after Eurovision - the first of three debut #1s this year - Lukas Graham's Love Someone and Only Sun's What a State also managed it.

In terms of the music itself, as former decent tropical house artists moved towards the 'new' trend of deep house, I moved away from those artists as I found them boring. Indie - especially Brit-indie - came a lot more into fashion on my chart, with random indie bands being to my Top 100 what random urban artists are to the UK Top 100. Tropical house songs still made the top spot, however a lot less of them and generally only for one week. Ballads continued to be popular with me, and a good few cracked the decent end of my chart.
  • This year I moved back to the points format of calculating my chart, with #1 being worth 100 points and #100 being worth 1 point. Any songs still in the chart had the remainder of their chart run estimated based on their current trajectory.
  • As I expected, this system produced some rubbish results, so I've allowed myself to give or take away up to 300 points for each song to make the charts actually reflect my music taste.
  • As with last year, any songs that appeared in last year's EOY are ineligible for this year's.
  • I'll be posting a 2017 Recap soon, before a short Worst Songs Chart, a Mainstream Song of the Year and an Album of the Year, before my actual chart which should commence within the next few days to get it over with.
Hype and predict away! All comments welcome!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 2 2018, 03:09 PM
Post #2
   No Gallery Pics

This Year's #1s:
Seeb - Cruel World (ft. Skip Marley) (1wk)
Gromee - Without You (ft. Lukas Meijer) (2wks)
Vance Joy - We're Going Home (2wks)
Rudimental - These Days (ft. Macklemore, Jess Glynne & Dan Caplen) (1wk)
Claudia Leitte - Carnaval (ft. Pitbull) (1wk)
Owl City - Lucid Dream (3wks)
The Fratellis - Starcrossed Losers (2wks)
AJR - Come Hang Out (2wks)
Snow Patrol - Don't Give In (3wks)
C-Bool - Wonderland (1wk)
Lost Frequencies - Melody (ft. James Blunt) (1wk)
Saara Aalto - Monsters (1wk)
Rasmussen - Higher Ground (3wks)
Riton ft. Kah-Lo - Ginger (2wks)
Rudimental - Toast to Our Differences (ft. Shungudzo, Protoje & Hak Baker) (3wks)
Tom Odell - If You Wanna Love Somebody (1wk)
John Gibbons - Sweat (A La La La La Long) (3wks)
Boston Bun - Spread Love (Paddington) (ft. DNVO) (1wk)
Dean Lewis - Be Alright (2wks)
Ina Wroldsen & Alok - Favela (1wk)
Lukas Graham - Love Someone (2wks)
The Struts - Body Talks (ft. Kesha) (1wk)
Ofenbach - Paradise (ft. Benjamin Ingrosso) (2wks)
*The Struts - Body Talks (ft. Kesha) (1wk)
Only Sun - What a State (1wk)
Lukas Graham - Not a Damn Thing Changed (2wks)
AJR - Burn the House Down (3+wks)

26 #1s, quite a step down from the 40 we had last year. Most will appear here, although one obviously won't.

+Quote Post
danG
post Dec 2 2018, 04:05 PM
Post #3
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Excitement! I get the feeling 'These Days' is the one you regret putting at #1 but hopefully I'm wrong. Also enjoy 'Ginger', 'Sweat' and 'Favela' from your #1s so hopefully they're nice and high.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 3 2018, 10:54 AM
Post #4
   No Gallery Pics

2017 Recap

1 Alessia Cara - Seventeen
2 Declan McKenna - The Kids Don't Wanna Come Home
3 Sheppard - Keep Me Crazy
4 Finn Kleffman - Head Over Heels
5 Sia - Never Give Up
6 We the Lion - Found Love
7 Alle Farben & Janieck - Little Hollywood
8 MOWE - Back in the Summer
9 Aedhi & Clément Bcx - Next to You
10 Bad Sounds - Meat on My Bones

Alessia scraped the #1 spot last year with her topical hit Seventeen, topical because I was seventeen. I'm now eighteen (nearly 19 ohmy.gif ) and Alessia's new single Growing Pains was sadly rather dull and peaked at #38. Declan's fiftieth single from his album 'Listen To Your Friends' did go Top 40 here and was quite a long runner but has missed the Top 100. The rest of the Top 10 is also filled with artists who either haven't released anything this year or released considerably underwhelming new music, the one exception being Janieck who does have a song in this year's Top 100. But it's fair to say that we'll have 10 new artists in the Top 10 this year music.gif

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 3 2018, 05:24 PM
Post #5
   No Gallery Pics

Worst Songs of 2018:
I feel like I need a disclaimer this year. I want to put songs in this based on the quality (or lack of) of the song, not based on the artist themselves. Therefore, any songs by XXXTENTACION and 6ix9ine have been omitted this year - think of it as a cyclist getting disqualified for taking performance enhancing drugs. Trust me, if I included them they'd take up more than the Top 5 between them.

#5: Drake - In My Feelings

Quack quack. After not having any songs memorable enough to be worthy of a Top 5 last year, Drake's annual appearance in this re-commences. His first single, God's Plan, stayed at the top of the charts for an annoyingly long time but was actually pretty catchy. His second single, Nice For What, was just him wailing over someone else's song and was top of this list at the time of release. What got this there, however, was the fact that it's basically a carbon copy of his last two #1 singles morphed together with some different lyrics. Think 'Television Romance' by Pale Waves but the song it copied wasn't good in the first place. To be fair to Drake I am aware that this wasn't the song he had in mind for his third single, but to even put something like this on the ALBUM is a lazy move. And by the way this was #1 on this chart when it was released which really shows how horrendous the second half of the year has been.

#4: Stay Flee Get Lizzy - Ay Caramba (ft. Fredo, Young T & Bugsey)

Honestly, what a ridiculous artist name. Especially since Stay Flee Get Lizzy is a clothes brand and not an artist. It's like if 'Tesco feat. The Neales' had been a surprise new entry back in 2016. (what sort of name for a brand is Stay Flee Get Lizzy anyway? What is their partner's not called Lizzy?) Anyway, I'm going a bit off topic. This is the first entirely non-North American track to enter my Worst Songs chart since at least 2015 (and maybe 2014, I've not got the 2015 list on me atm). Unfortunately the 'Bugsey' in this track isn't the rapper Bugzy Malone who I actually quite like, but someone else who's fairly unrecognisable in the song. When this first entered the chart, it was a bit of light relief since without it the chart would have been stuck with one new entry that week. Of course that was before I watched the music video, which seemed to show lots of women shaking body parts around, some of which weren't even really recognisable as backsides. Of course it then began to fall, a little slowly, and we all thought 'fair enough, another random dull song with a short shelf life'. But then it, erm... re-entered. And stuck around the same three or four positions for absolutely AGES before it got a mini-boost and spent four weeks as a non-mover at #32. Oh well, ACR's finally got it to bugger out of the Top 100 now.

#3: Maroon 5 ft. Cardi B - Girls Like You

It's nice to know that girls like me (thanks Adam) but I don't need this drivel to tell me that. I didn't have an issue with this song when it entered, nor when it reached the Top 10. The issue came when it seemingly stuck around in the Top 10 for absolutely ages (12 weeks to be exact) whilst only peaking at #7. Probably the dullest amazing feat ever. The fact that this is a pop song and not an urban one and STILL managed to get to #3 on here shows how much of a chore it was to have to sit through this at roughly 5:13pm every Friday. And Maroon 5 have even had a Top 10 hit here way back in the past. Please release something decent next time.

#2: Kanye West ft. Lil Pump - I Love It

In the north the word 'pump' is slang for fart, and to be frank I'd rather listen to three minutes of farts than have to put up with this obscene mess. I was hoping that Lil Pump wouldn't be relevant enough to get #2 on here two years in a row but his done it, with his friend Mr. West. An odd combination I have to say, one wonders how Kanye met - and felt the need to collaborate with - someone young enough to be his son. The fact that they could only play seven seconds of this before someone magicked up a censored version says everything else that needs to be said.

#1: Tyga ft. Offset - Taste

So, this year's #1 (and the lyric behind the thing that's been my tagline for long enough to forger I hadn't changed it) is Tyga's Taste. Or lack of, to be more accurate. I wonder why on earth girls gleefully dance to this in clubs when it is completely degrading to women, and has absolutely no tune that is dance-able to. Other than someone going 'ohh ohh ohhh' and then someone else going 'doo doo doo doo' a bit quieter in the background. That sounds like something my granddad would say and he's certainly not the target audience for this mess. In the video there's a lot of naked women sat behind Tyga and Offset, rubbing their hands quite firmly on their backsides as if they're plumping them up like pillows. Maybe the reason they're all so big is that they've been stuffed with feathers. Sorry, but it's not my thing at all.

Let's add our winner to the Hall of Fame:

Hall of Fame
2014: Bars & Melody - Hopeful
2015: Drake - Hotline Bling
2016: Drake - Controlla
2017: Post Malone ft. Quavo - Congratulations
2018: Tyga ft. Offset - Taste

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Dec 3 2018, 10:35 PM
Post #6
FIVE YEARS OF THE TURRET 15-20
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

I really like Girls Like You
The other songs, they're okay. (Though I Love It [mainly the music video] is a guilty pleasure)

This post has been edited by DalekTurret32: Dec 3 2018, 10:35 PM

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 4 2018, 03:22 PM
Post #7
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 2 2018, 04:05 PM) *
Excitement! I get the feeling 'These Days' is the one you regret putting at #1 but hopefully I'm wrong. Also enjoy 'Ginger', 'Sweat' and 'Favela' from your #1s so hopefully they're nice and high.

Well three of the songs you mentioned will be in the Top 100 kink.gif Thanks Dan!

QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ Dec 3 2018, 10:35 PM) *
I really like Girls Like You
The other songs, they're okay. (Though I Love It [mainly the music video] is a guilty pleasure)

I guess I'd like GLY more if I didn't listen to the chart show but the amount of time it stuck around there just made me sick of it! Thanks Dalek biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Dec 4 2018, 03:31 PM
Post #8
rip in peace Dickston
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

No idea what your 2014 Worst Single is but I love 2015-2017 ohmy.gif Taste is alright but I got over it pretty quickly (I prefer Dip)

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 4 2018, 03:45 PM
Post #9
   No Gallery Pics

Mainstream Song of the Year: Dean Lewis - Be Alright

So, the winner of the best Top 20 hit of the year goes to Australia's Dean Lewis, and a song which so annoyingly peaked at #11 cry.gif I won't say too much about this now since it's going to make an appearance later but this gets a LOT of undeserved stick on Buzzjack, probably down to the fact that it's a slow song and it's not by one of the pop princesses that Buzzjack is known for loving (kink.gif). Oh well, I love it and I encourage you to love it too. It doesn't matter but the PHOOOOOOOONE awayy music.gif

Mainstream Song of the Year: Hall of Fame
1999: Fatboy Slim - Praise You
2000: Madison Avenue - Don't Call Me Baby
2001: Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head
2002: DJ Sammy & Yanou ft. Do - Heaven
2003: Room 5 - Make Luv
2004: Eric Prydz - Call On Me
2005: Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good On the Dancefloor
2006: Scissor Sisters - I Don't Feel Like Dancin'
2007: MIKA - Grace Kelly
2008: Basshunter ft. DJ Mental Theo's Bassheadz - Now You're Gone
2009: Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
2010: Taio Cruz - Dynamite
2011: LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem (ft. Lauren Bennett & GoonRock)
2012: PSY - Gangnam Style
2013: Ylvis - The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?)
2014: DJ Fresh & Jay Fay ft. Ms. Dynamite - Dibby Dibby Sound
2015: Jess Glynne - Don't Be So Hard On Yourself
2016: Lukas Graham - 7 Years
2017: JP Cooper - September Song
2018: Dean Lewis - Be Alright

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Dec 4 2018, 04:14 PM
Post #10
   No Gallery Pics

Be Alright is a good one.

+Quote Post
coi
post Dec 4 2018, 04:39 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 73,240
   No Gallery Pics

Be Alright is a really good choice for best mainstream song of the year! Surprisingly so considering that your choices over the last few years have been songs I dislike!

As for your worst songs of the year, I agree with a few of them - Taste and Ay Caramba were dreadful!

This post has been edited by coi: Dec 4 2018, 04:40 PM

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 4 2018, 05:24 PM
Post #12
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(DexTheHalls @ Dec 4 2018, 03:31 PM) *
No idea what your 2014 Worst Single is but I love 2015-2017 ohmy.gif Taste is alright but I got over it pretty quickly (I prefer Dip)

Hopeful is an experience if you ever get round to listening to it tongue.gif It's the only song I've actively had to turn the radio off when it came on because it's too cringeworthy! How someone can love Controlla is beyond me though laugh.gif Thanks Dexton!

QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ Dec 4 2018, 04:14 PM) *
Be Alright is a good one.

Thanks Dalek!

QUOTE(coi @ Dec 4 2018, 04:39 PM) *
Be Alright is a really good choice for best mainstream song of the year! Surprisingly so considering that your choices over the last few years have been songs I dislike!

As for your worst songs of the year, I agree with a few of them - Taste and Ay Caramba were dreadful!

Are you saying you like Be Alright but don't like 7 Years? I'd have thought that fans of one would have been fans of the other ohmy.gif Glad you agree with my Worst Songs list though!

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 4 2018, 05:36 PM
Post #13
   No Gallery Pics

Album of the Year: Amy Shark - Love Monster

Charting Songs from This Album:
03 I Said Hi
15 The Idiot
16 Don't Turn Around
17 I Got You
20 All Loved Up
26 Psycho (Amy Shark ft. Mark Hoppus)
31 Mess Her Up
46 Leave Us Alone

Neither pop nor a princess, but our second Australian to appear in the pre-countdown certainly knows how to put together an album. Like Declan last year, Amy was an artist I couldn't care less for coming into 2018, but I Said Hi completely converted me - it was so incredibly catchy and spent a ludicrously long time in the Top 40, even if it did miss the top spot. Her next single Don't Turn Around took a bit to grow, but it was the album itself which got me to love her completely. When I was in bed after hearing the album for the first time, I was goig through the songs and could remember each one I had added to my playlist perfectly - something I couldn't even do with Lukas' new album (it took me almost a week to remember all the track on that) and all the songs were long runners in the chart as well. Looking forward to what she comes up with next!

Hall of Fame
2014: Nico & Vinz - Black Star Elephant
2015: Avicii - Stories
2016: Lukas Graham - Lukas Graham
2017: Declan McKenna - What Do You Think About The Car?
2018: Amy Shark - Love Monster

+Quote Post
danG
post Dec 4 2018, 05:42 PM
Post #14
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Well, I enjoy most of your Bottom 5. tongue.gif 'Taste' particularly, that'll be making my Top 100. 'In My Feelings' is still to come in my EOY too.

'Girls Like You' I can agree with, 'I Love It' I enjoyed but fell off my chart very quickly and 'Ay Caramba' while not bad is very non-essential.

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Dec 4 2018, 07:45 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Well you definitely picked the worst rap song of the year as your #1, even I think that song is garbage.

Didn't care much for I Love It & Girls Like You was terrible as well so good pick there too!

However Be Alright is one of the worst things I've heard all year... interestingly though that's the only song on your entire song of the year list I dislike, some amazing picks from previous years!

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Dec 5 2018, 02:19 PM
Post #16
rip in peace Dickston
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

Amy Shark definitely has one of the best albums this year! I adore kink.gif every song on the album and she really deserves more success than what she's manages over here. Apparently I Said Hi is the 19th most streamed song on Apply Music Australia in the last year laugh.gif

The albums tracks have basically become the soundtrack for Home & Away in the fast few months too tbh, I don't watch it but it's always on and I swear at least once a week there's something from her on laugh.gif Actually a lot of her songs are used in promotional stuff over here too

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 5 2018, 04:57 PM
Post #17
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(dancember @ Dec 4 2018, 05:42 PM) *
Well, I enjoy most of your Bottom 5. tongue.gif 'Taste' particularly, that'll be making my Top 100. 'In My Feelings' is still to come in my EOY too.

'Girls Like You' I can agree with, 'I Love It' I enjoyed but fell off my chart very quickly and 'Ay Caramba' while not bad is very non-essential.

Yeah I thought you might like some of them tongue.gif Surprised at how low IMF finished in the countdown considering how dull it is!

QUOTE(dobbo @ Dec 4 2018, 07:45 PM) *
Well you definitely picked the worst rap song of the year as your #1, even I think that song is garbage.

Didn't care much for I Love It & Girls Like You was terrible as well so good pick there too!

However Be Alright is one of the worst things I've heard all year... interestingly though that's the only song on your entire song of the year list I dislike, some amazing picks from previous years!

Glad you hate some of the songs I hate as well! And Be Alright oops sad.gif I really like it, it took a few listens to really get into but it is amazing!

QUOTE(DexTheHalls @ Dec 5 2018, 02:19 PM) *
Amy Shark definitely has one of the best albums this year! I adore kink.gif every song on the album and she really deserves more success than what she's manages over here. Apparently I Said Hi is the 19th most streamed song on Apply Music Australia in the last year laugh.gif

The albums tracks have basically become the soundtrack for Home & Away in the fast few months too tbh, I don't watch it but it's always on and I swear at least once a week there's something from her on laugh.gif Actually a lot of her songs are used in promotional stuff over here too

I wish Amy was big over here in the UK, her music feels so accessible and it's not annoying like so many other artists. Never watched Home and Away but yay for her getting some exposure I guess tongue.gif

Thanks guys!

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 5 2018, 05:53 PM
Post #18
   No Gallery Pics

#133 (600pts)

Rudimental
These Days (ft. Jess Glynne, Macklemore & Dan Caplen)
-
Chart Statistics

NE (27/01/2018) | 9-3-1-5-14-33-66-77-xx

Video

Commentary

So all the way down in #133 we have our lowest #1 single. And this is only with me counting songs with a decent chance of making the EOY, if I included all the songs that had charted for me this year it would be comfortably out of the Top 200. Another songs called 'These Days' is much higher up this list for me, but it most certainly didn't feature any of these artists. It was the start of Jess' comeback which I was initially really excited for, and the song actually sounded quite good when it first came out. Seven weeks a non-mover at #2 and I thought differently. This song marked the start of the end for Jess' chart career for me as the artist who grabbed my Mainstream Song of the Year in 2015 resorted to bland pop, Macklemore continued to fade into obscurity and Dan Caplen never really had a career in the first place. It amazes me that Rudimental managed to turn it around with the amazing 'Toast to our Differences', but it was too much of them to ask to actually push it and they instead pushed flop single Let Me Live. Oops.

Top 100 Chart History

Rudimental
2017 28 Sun Comes Up (Rudimental ft. James Arthur)
2018 01 These Days (Rudimental ft. Jess Glynne, Macklemore & Dan Caplen)
2018 01 Toast to Our Differences (Rudimental ft. Shungudzo, Protoje & Hak Baker)
2018 14 Walk Alone (Rudimental ft. Tom Walker)

Jess Glynne
2016 02 Ain't Got Far to Go
2018 16 I'll Be There
2018 89 All I Am
2018 16 So Real (Warriors) (Too Many Zooz & KDA ft. Jess Glynne)
2018 94 Thursday

Macklemore
2018 93 Glorious (Macklemore ft. Skylar Grey)
2018 90 Good Old Days (Macklemore ft. Kesha)

Dan Caplen

(Can't post any more now because I'm about to leave oops, I'm not intentionally posting one at a time!)

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Dec 5 2018, 06:18 PM
Post #19
   No Gallery Pics

These Days is pretty good.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Dec 6 2018, 09:18 AM
Post #20
   No Gallery Pics

#113 (730pts)

Stormzy
Blinded By Your Grace Pt. 2 (ft. MNEK)
-
Chart Statistics

NE (04/11/2017) | 41-23-12-10-14-33-64-86-76-66-68-89-xx

Video

Commentary

It's been over a year since this was released and I still can't believe how such an amazing song managed to go Top 10 in the UK. A lot of Stormzy's songs are things I don't really agree with but this song is such an honest and humble song about how God changed his life, and I really respect Stormzy for pushing this as the second single from his album. It also spent too short a period of time on my personal chart - the chart runs have lengthened as the year's gone on so if this song was released this december it would be a completely different story. MNEK's more recent single 'Tongue' reached #104 on my EOY so unfortunately this is the only mention that gets, and whilst Stormzy is yet to have another hit he probably will get one with his feature on Timbuktu which I'm really enjoying atm.

Top 100 Chart History

Stormzy
2017 32 Big For Your Boots
2017 15 Momma's Prayers (JP Cooper ft. Stormzy)
2017 10 Blinded By Your Grace Pt. 2 (Stormzy ft. MNEK)

MNEK
2016 03 House Work (Jax Jones ft. Mike Dunn & MNEK)
2017 15 Deeper (Riton ft. MNEK & House Gospel Choir)
2017 10 Blinded By Your Grace Pt. 2 (Stormzy ft. MNEK)
2018 09 Tongue

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:53 PM