BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Artist News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Super Bowl ● 10 years on
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Liam.k.
post 13th February 2022, 02:10 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 12,472

Tonight is the night of the Super Bowl - an event that saw Madonna headline the halftime show ten years ago. Performing her songs 'Vogue', 'Music', 'Give Me All Your Luvin'', 'Open Your Heart'/'Express Yourself' and 'Like a Prayer', Madonna set new records when her performance became the most viewed halftime show of all-time, with 114 million viewers across the world, nearly 3 million more than the game itself. The show saw special guests of LMFAO, Nicki Minaj, M.I.A. and Cee-Lo Green and featured revolutionary use of multimedia projections. Following years of male rockstars headlining, Madonna brought pop back to the stage and started a string of female solo artists that would bring their own unique sense of pop theatrics, including Beyonce, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga.

10 years on, what are your thoughts on Madonna's Superbowl performance? Does it rank as one of your favourites?
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
vibe
post 13th February 2022, 03:41 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 11,763

Its so good !!!

The entrance and exit is everything.
I can forgive the stumble 😊

I love the video of Whitney watching and digging it!

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 13th February 2022, 03:47 PM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(vibe @ Feb 13 2022, 03:41 PM) *
I love the video of Whitney watching and digging it!

Never seen this before! To think she was to pass just six days later... sad.gif

+Quote this post
vibe
post 13th February 2022, 04:39 PM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

^ 🥲

+Quote this post
Hotlady
post 13th February 2022, 05:12 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Enthusiast
User: 4,586

I truly love the video it's really fantastic.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 13th February 2022, 06:41 PM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

I love the entrance and the 'Vogue' performance is fantastic with the choreography and the magazine projections. The transition to 'Music' is good too and 'Like a Prayer' as the finale makes sense, but isn't the show-stopper it should have been due to the middle of the set. LMFAO as featured guests definitely dates the performance and are seen as 'beneath' Madonna, even if it was kinda fun to see her do "the shuffle". There's a bit of an odd moment when one of the guys holds her leg and she attempts to do some sort of spin. The cheerleading aspect of 'Give Me All Your Luvin'' obviously makes sense in the context of the Super Bowl but it's just a really weak song and it really shows here. Cee-Lo Green seems like an odd inclusion too and is too distracting for me.

I do wish we'd have got more hits included, especially when you look at the halftime shows that followed. It needed songs like 'Holiday', 'Into the Groove', 'Ray of Light' or 'Hung Up'. I guess it was a given that Madonna wanted to perform something from the new album on the set, but honestly I can't see anything from the album working, not even 'I'm Addicted' which is often put forward as the best pick for lead single. I'd rather she had just focused on the hits because she'll still have received huge pre-order sales for 'MDNA' (I don't think all of those people rushed to buy the album because of 'GMAYL').

I definitely appreciate the fact Madonna somewhat revolutionised the Super Bowl halftime but I have to say I think most if not all the female performers that followed outshone Madonna.

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 13th February 2022, 08:15 PM
Post #7
Group icon
User: 13,007

I really need to rewatch this! It's a very electricfying performance and as you say, it seems to have become a real transition point for the Superbowl performances, particularly for attracting the big pop females to the stage.

LMFAO's inclusion is the worst bit quite clearly for me. She did not need them by any stretch of the imagination - in fact she didn't need any featured artists? Her hits speak for themselves!

I just wished this was promoting stronger material - imagine if this was the precursor to one of her stronger albums being released?

+Quote this post
vibe
post 14th February 2022, 11:17 AM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

Stronger Material

Vogue - US & UK #1
Music - US & UK #1
LAP - US & UK #1

smile.gif

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 14th February 2022, 10:31 PM
Post #9
Group icon

I meant in terms of the era of music she was releasing at the time of the event not the songs she had chosen from her back catalogue.

+Quote this post
Jessie Where
post 15th February 2022, 12:48 AM
Post #10
Group icon
Break the tension
User: 51

Such a fantastic performance, I agree I wish it had been during an era with stronger material to promote (although I believe MNDA still had something if they chose the right material to showcase it).

In a weird way I quite like the LMFAO inclusion, as much as they're a dated relic of the past now she was having FUN and not taking herself at all seriously (like she tends to do all too often nowadays). The goofy, tongue-in-cheek dancing was brilliant.

+Quote this post
Liam.k.
post 15th February 2022, 01:24 AM
Post #11
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Feb 15 2022, 12:48 AM) *
In a weird way I quite like the LMFAO inclusion, as much as they're a dated relic of the past now she was having FUN and not taking herself at all seriously (like she tends to do all too often nowadays). The goofy, tongue-in-cheek dancing was brilliant.

Yeah I definitely agree, it was good to see her face beaming and just being so carefree. I think she could easily get better performers though, like imagine if she brought Britney out or something? I do really enjoy the performance and it’s definitely the most grand performance she’s done of the 2010s, I just think, knowing the performances that came after from Beyoncé, Katy and Gaga, she could have gone bigger and better. Still, it was the first big female headlining pop performance the Super Bowl had seen so she set the mould in that sense.

+Quote this post
vibe
post 15th February 2022, 08:08 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member

She did one song from the current era which suited totally suited the event!! All the rest were huge hits !

+Quote this post
HausofKubrick
post 15th February 2022, 05:31 PM
Post #13
Group icon

Madonna reminisces:

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread