BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Results: Leona Lewis • The Singles Rate
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Scene
post 16th May 2020, 08:52 AM
Post #1
Group icon
Baby Reindeer
User: 5,567

Leona Lewis • The Singles Rate: Results

A grand total of 21 rates have been cast cheer.gif and we have a winner!! Thanks to everybody who has voted! Today we shall begin the countdown to Leona's most loved single... or could it be one of the album tracks voted in? cool.gif Stay tuned for the three songs Buzzjack has collectively deemed the stinkers of the pack. kink.gif

The Songs:

A Moment Like This
Bleeding Love
Better In Time
Footprints In The Sand
Forgive Me
Run
I Will Be
Happy
I See You (theme from Avatar)
I Got You (Echo single)
Collide
Hurt
Trouble
Lovebird
One More Sleep
Fire Under My Feet
Thunder
I Am
Inaspettata (with Biagio Antonacci)
You Are The Reason (with Calum Scott)
Amore (with Pitbull)
Headlights (with Hellberg)
Solo Quiero (Somebody to Love)

Take A Bow
Yesterday
Naked
Outta My Head
Glassheart
Come Alive
Ave Maria
Mr Right
Another Love Song
I Got You (I Am album track)
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Scene
post 16th May 2020, 10:10 AM
Post #2
Group icon
Baby Reindeer

33. Amore (with Pitbull) | 4.17

Highest: 10 (Scene) / Lowest: -1 (Bitch)

After receiving A LOT of low scores and even a -1 from Bitch, Leona’s 2018 collaboration with Pitbull ends up bottom of the pile. Even my generous 10 couldn’t save it. cry.gif If we disregard how little the song has to do with the film and block out Pitbull’s involvement, the song has some beauty in it. The opening guitar riff is glorious and Leona’s almost operatic vocals on the chorus does things to me. drama.gif But it seems I’m in the minority here so let’s move on. laugh.gif Seriously though, she should have released a Part II solo version!!

32. Inaspettata (with Biagio Antonacci) | 4.30

Highest: 8.5 (HurtMyHands) / Lowest: 1 (Billy)

Inaspettata is Leona’s 2010 hook-up with Italian icon Biagio Antonacci. The song is a cute pop-rock duet but nothing remarkable. It received low scores on the most part with only HurtMyHands rating it higher than 7! There's also no evidence of it charting anywhere - not even in Italy!

31. Solo Quiero (with Cali Y El Dandee and Juan Magan) | 4.93

Highest: 9 (...ready for it) / Lowest: 1 (HurtMyHands)

Just missing out on the top 30 is Leona’s third foreign-titled track to fall out in a row! You Xenophobes! Solo Quiero was the track Leona chose to release from the US talent show Songland (a programme where songwriters pitch their songs to pop stars). The song is a slice of summery Latin pop which, released last August, seemed two years too late to the Latin craze. laugh.gif The songs is a bit of a bop but I wish Leona chose a song where she took centre stage rather than being a glorified hook girl. Keri Hilson she ain’t. kink.gif

+Quote this post
Tombo
post 16th May 2020, 10:17 AM
Post #3
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543

Wtf? Amore is amazing.
I am shooketh!

I actually missed the deadline to vote in this but I’m glad it at least got a 10 biggrin.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 16th May 2020, 11:34 AM
Post #4
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

No surprise seeing those songs out first.

+Quote this post
Scene
post 16th May 2020, 12:29 PM
Post #5
Group icon
Baby Reindeer

30. Headlights (with Hellberg) | 5.67

Highest: 10 (HurtMyHands) / Lowest: 3 (Scene, Mike, …ready for it)

Kicking off the top 30 and the first song to score above a 5 average is Leona’s collaboration with Swedish DJ and music producer Hellberg. ‘Headlights’ was released in 2018 and failed to make an impact anywhere in the world but it has racked up over 600,000 views on YouTube. tearsmile.gif Rumour has it Leona was scheduled to appear in the music video but decided against the idea at the last minute. Watching the video, it is not difficult to imagine why. laugh.gif Hellberg being targeted by a car called Leona is a video no one asked for!

29. Hurt | 5.74

Highest: 7.5 (AlfonsoLeLe) / Lowest: 3 (Bitch, Billy)

At 29 we have a Leona cover many Nine Inch Nails and Johnny Cash fans would stick their noses up to. laugh.gif Back in 2011 Syco decided to delay the release of Leona’s third album for a year – a YEAR – because the lukewarm reception to ‘Collide’ made them nervous about how the public would respond to an album which was a departure from ballads. In order to bridge the 12 month gap – and perhaps also to make use of pre-booked promo slots – Leona released a three-track EP featuring her version of ‘Hurt’. With zero radio play and no music video, Leona performed the song live on the final of The X Factor 2011 – causing it to soar up the iTunes chart to #2 and officially charting at #8! It is essentially the UK version of what Kelly Clarkson did with Piece By Piece in the States a few years later! The power of an incredible live performance!

28. Lovebird | 6.33

Highest: 8.5 (AlfonsoLeLe, Riser) / Lowest: 3 (SamJudd)

Up next at 28 is the first of Leona’s singles as a lead artist to fall out and it is none other than her first single to miss the top 200. drama.gif I remember at the time she got such bad press for the flop that was Lovebird. The song’s release was at a real low point in Leona’s career – not just commercially but personally too. The cracks in her relationship with Syco were getting deeper and there were conflicts over what music she should be releasing. In fact, ‘Fireflies’ was originally chosen as the second single with a lyric video having already been uploaded to YouTube before the label changed last-minute to ‘Lovebird’ for reasons unknown. It was a sad way to finish the Glassheart era which held such promise just over a year prior to the album’s eventual release. But more on that to come…

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 16th May 2020, 12:55 PM
Post #6
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

These results are not surprising. Everything has pretty much gone in the order I (and I assume others) expected laugh.gif

I have a soft spot for 'Lovebird'. It's cute.

I don't mind her version of 'Hurt', but it's definitely the weakest of her big 3 alt-indie-rock covers.

+Quote this post
Scene
post 16th May 2020, 01:12 PM
Post #7
Group icon
Baby Reindeer

QUOTE(Tombo @ May 16 2020, 11:17 AM) *
Wtf? Amore is amazing.
I am shooketh!

I actually missed the deadline to vote in this but I’m glad it at least got a 10 biggrin.gif

I'm curious to know what you would have scored it. laugh.gif It's good to see another fan of the song. If it was released in 2011 I think it would have been a top 10 hit. kink.gif
QUOTE(Jonjo @ May 16 2020, 01:55 PM) *
These results are not surprising. Everything has pretty much gone in the order I (and I assume others) expected laugh.gif

I have a soft spot for 'Lovebird'. It's cute.

I don't mind her version of 'Hurt', but it's definitely the weakest of her big 3 alt-indie-rock covers.

Yeah none of the results are a shock so far. laugh.gif I'll try to get us up to the top 20 before the end of the day! cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Padamic Tension
post 16th May 2020, 01:59 PM
Post #8
Group icon
BuzzJack Idol
User: 845

Hurt is ok but nowhere close to her other covers.

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post 16th May 2020, 02:31 PM
Post #9
Group icon
Paradise With Ice Cream Skies♥
User: 1,209

No surprise at any of these falling out so far. No major losses. I had completely forgot that Lovebird was a single😮

+Quote this post
Tombo
post 16th May 2020, 02:39 PM
Post #10
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543

QUOTE(Scene @ May 16 2020, 02:12 PM) *
I'm curious to know what you would have scored it. laugh.gif It's good to see another fan of the song. If it was released in 2011 I think it would have been a top 10 hit. kink.gif

Yeah none of the results are a shock so far. laugh.gif I'll try to get us up to the top 20 before the end of the day! cheer.gif

I would probably have given it a 10 also. My overall favourite is Trouble though.

+Quote this post
Scene
post 16th May 2020, 02:56 PM
Post #11
Group icon
Baby Reindeer

27. Trouble | 6.57

Highest: 9 (Lukuzz) / Lowest: 5 (Bitch, Cameron, sorryislayed, Jordan Lee, JulianNial)

Poor Tombo. kink.gif At 27 is the first Leona lead single out! ohmy.gif Originally intended to follow-up ‘Collide’ in the autumn of 2011, the release of ‘Trouble’ was postponed alongside the album and eventually came out at the tail end of 2012. I remember vividly back in the summer of 2011 when a couple of journalists were raving about a song called Trouble Leona had recorded – putting it in the same bracket as Bleeding Love no less! – but it’s fair to say the Trouble we all know and… find okay kink.gif is certainly not in the league of BL! Apparently during the year-long album delay, Trouble was altered considerably so it is likely the song the journalists were raving about in 2011 was basically a different song to the one released! The song modestly gave Leona a ninth top 10 single – charting at #7 – and was accompanied by a video starring Colton Haynes. It’s actually one of my favourite Leona videos! Also, Childish Gambino’s rap on the single version is a 10 out of 10 from me. The scores suggest Trouble is strictly average at worst but leaves a lot to be desired...

26. I Am | 6.67

Highest: 9 (Jonjo) / Lowest: 4 (Bitch)

Surprisingly finishing higher than one of Leona’s leads is the third single and title track from the Queen’s most recent album I Am. There was actually a video recorded for the song but for some odd reason has never been officially released (I saw it when it leaked a while ago and it was nothing special lol). The song is essentially a “f**k you” to Syco dressed up as a break-up song. The production is really strong – especially compared to some of the other tracks on the album! – but it isn’t a track I go back to at all to be honest…

25. Fire Under My Feet | 6.71

Highest: 10 (Cameron) / Lowest: -1 (Billy, Dean)

And just like that we lose another lead single! ohmy.gif The scores suggest ‘Fire’ is a lot more polarising than I would have expected. It seems very inoffensive to the ears – maybe too inoffensive? Now I remember back in December 2014 Leona released a 30 second preview of the track which sent the fandom into a spin! After waiting 4 months for the full track, it appeared many were underwhelmed. Musically it is very ‘Rolling in the Deep’ with self-empowering lyrics about fighting back after facing adversity. One of my favourite lyrics from the song: “Thrown in with the lions, the tigers and titans / Afraid to get hurt but now I’m making them purr”. laugh.gif I appreciate the sentiment of 'Fire' but it feels a bit hollow. Maybe it is just too fast-paced for Leona to convey what she is singing? The song peaked at #51 – the advent of streaming ruling the charts did it dirty but we won’t pretend that was what stopped it from being a hit. laugh.gif In more positive news, it topped the charts in Hong Kong! heart.gif

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post 16th May 2020, 03:00 PM
Post #12
Group icon

As if I was Troubles highest, I actually really like the song although prefer the version with Childish Gambino

+Quote this post
Scene
post 16th May 2020, 06:27 PM
Post #13
Group icon
Baby Reindeer

24. Another Love Song | 6.81

Highest: 9 (Lukuzz, SamJudd, JulianNial, Jonjo) / Lowest: 2 (HurtMyHands)

At 24 we have what many fans considered a standout from Leona’s fifth album – and the first honorary single voted into the rate by Buzzjack to appear. ‘Another Love Song’ saw Leona take us back to the turn of the millennium with a fusion of pop and garage. The scores for this were varied across the board with 10 of you giving it an 8 or above! Personally, I do not rate the song as far as Leona up-tempos go. Maybe it’s because I’m not big on garage and maybe it’s because Leona doesn’t utilise her voice that much. thinking.gif It just seems a bit basic lol. Fun fact: it was originally considered as either the first or second single. I can’t remember whether it was Leona or the label who were pushing for it but whoever it was also wanted ‘Ladders’ as a single. Now that would have been a good decision!

23. I Got You (from I Am) | 6.81

Highest: 11 (Dean) / Lowest: 3.5 (Cameron)

Equalling the average of ‘Another Love Song’, it is ‘I Got You’ that finishes higher thanks to Dean’s 11. How fitting though that the two honorary singles from the same album have the same average. angel.gif The song was produced by Toby Gad – whose credits include ‘Big Girls Don’t Cry’, ‘If I Were A Boy’ and the majority of I Am – and can only be described as an up-tempo ballad if that makes sense. laugh.gif It’s ridiculous how of all the lyrics featured in the song they had to settle for ‘I Got You’ as its title. tearsmile.gif Like why not ‘I Got U’, ‘When The Rain Won’t Stop’ or just ‘Rain’? lmao. I actually regret giving the song a 6, having given it a few more spins recently it is growing on me a lot! Definitely the anthem of the album!

So we have now lost 4 of the 5 I Am tracks included in this rate – one after the other! – with only ‘Thunder’ left to represent the album! Where will it place? kink.gif I will try and post numbers 21 and 22 tonight so we can kick off the top 20 tomorrow. cheer.gif

+Quote this post
Tafty³³³
post 16th May 2020, 10:28 PM
Post #14
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

'Another Love Song' is amazing. Love the early 00's Garage influences in it!

'I Am' is stunning. It really reminded me a lot of what Emeli Sande would have put out at the time and probably smashed with. The chorus is huge and I would've loved to have seen this lead the campaign over 'Fire Under My Feet' which is good, but very run of the mill.

+Quote this post
Jordanlee
post 17th May 2020, 12:57 AM
Post #15
Group icon
Jord
User: 27,116

I’m not too shocked at the results so far.

I’m happy Fire Under My Feet managed to beat Trouble though.

Leona is one of those artists who I always end up ranting about to my friends bc they just don’t understand how good her material actually was but her single choices later in her career just got worse and worse sad.gif

Another Love Song is a BOP though so underrated and really shows Leonas personality and versatility!

+Quote this post
Scene
post 17th May 2020, 07:28 AM
Post #16
Group icon
Baby Reindeer

22. I See You | 7.05

Highest: 11 (Scene) / Lowest: 3 (Bitch, Billy)

At 22 is Leona’s soundtrack to the 2009 blockbuster Avatar! The song ticks all the boxes for a big movie song – powerhouse vocals, beautiful lyrics and imagery, dramatic music… I’m actually shocked it hasn’t done better in this rate! At the time it drew comparisons to Celine’s ‘My Heart Will Go On’ due to both songs being power ballads used as the soundtrack to a James Cameron movie – furthermore both were produced by James Horner. I think many anticipated ‘I See You’ to emulate the success of MHWGO; alas it was not to be. cry.gif One of my biggest gripes with the handling of Leona’s career is the fact that her label refused to promote the song because they had an album to focus on!! You do not get the chance to soundtrack a MASSIVE film – one that became the highest-grossing film of all time – and then pass on promoting it! In other news, only recently has 'I See You' been added to Spotify – stream away. tongue.gif

21. Mr Right | 7.10

Highest: 10 (Scene) / Lowest: 3 (Mike)

Just missing out on a spot in the top 20 is one of three original tracks from Leona’s 2013 festive album Christmas, With Love. ‘Mr Right’ is everything you could ask for in a Christmas song. wub.gif Lyrically it is reminiscent of Mariah’s ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’ – being lonesome at Christmas and wanting a man over anything else – and the chorus is full of pop hooks (I stan for the “ooh-ooh Santa come help me tonight” part!) If Leona ever decides to rerelease the album, I think she definitely needs to give ‘Mr Right’ some promo and a music video! Let’s hope for the 10-year anniversary in 2023 she does something with it. kink.gif Anyone who is yet to hear the track, add it to your Christmas playlist before you forget. angel.gif

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post 17th May 2020, 08:40 AM
Post #17
Group icon

Love Another Love Song would have placed that top 20 definitely should have been a single

+Quote this post
Scene
post 17th May 2020, 08:59 AM
Post #18
Group icon
Baby Reindeer

The top 20 in alphabetical order:

A Moment Like This
Ave Maria
Better in Time
Bleeding Love
Collide
Come Alive
Footprints in the Sand
Forgive Me
Glassheart
Happy
I Got You (from Echo)
I Will Be
Naked
One More Sleep
Outta My Head
Run
Take A Bow
Thunder
Yesterday
You Are the Reason

Any shocks or surprises? Any predictions for the next to leave? kink.gif

+Quote this post
Scene
post 17th May 2020, 12:12 PM
Post #19
Group icon
Baby Reindeer

20. Come Alive | 7.12

Highest: 11 (Bitch) / Lowest: -1 (Love Leona)

Kicking off the top 20 is a song that sees Leona venture into dubstep and techno territory. One of the tracks cooked up during Glassheart’s delay, ‘Come Alive’ injects some much-needed life into the album imo. Lyrically it’s about embracing the heartache and heartbreak that comes with falling in love because, as Leona morbidly points out, “a thousand suns lead the way to an endless night”. It's very dark in nature yet somehow manages to feel empowering at the same time! I wonder whether Leona may have been inspired by ‘Hurt’ since this was written shortly after the EP’s release. The opening line of ‘Hurt’ – “I hurt myself today to see if I still feel / I focus on the pain, the only thing that’s real” – has a similar theme, no?
‘Come Alive’ received ten scores of 8 or above and only two scores below 5! But that -1 from Love Leona (the irony kink.gif ) ensured it didn’t finish higher than Number 20! Personally, I think the track is stunning although maybe slightly overproduced and “busy”. laugh.gif The acoustic version is STUNNING though and would make a perfect funeral song! angel.gif

+Quote this post
Lukuzz
post 17th May 2020, 12:31 PM
Post #20
Group icon

Love Come Alive. Wish she had released more of her upbeat material

+Quote this post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »