BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
> Personal Charts

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Jupiter's Penultimate 2016 Chart - Week #19, i can see angels // + links + write-up
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
J00prstar
post Dec 24 2016, 10:24 PM
Post #1
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
The XX become the year’s penultimate #1, and the first since I began weekly charts in July to hold the top spot for more than two weeks. On Hold keeps its place at the top spot, while BlackPink maintain the other half of the top 2 stranglehold for the fourth week running. The rest of the top 5 features three zooms from new entries that sneaked in at the other end of the top 40 last week, as Fickle Friends’ Brooklyn, Gabrielle Aplin’s Miss You and Sia’s Never Give Up shoot up respectively 33, 33, and 35 places to take their new places. They’re joined in the top 10 by Annabel Jones, holding steady from last week, along with rises from Carmody, MishCatt, and a new entry – MUNA’s Winterbreak, which debuts this week at #10.

Other new entries this week come from RKCB (Enough), The Corrs, Robin Schulz, Maroon 5, Cocaine 80s featuring Jhene Aiko, and Becky Hill. Uppermost and Vita Schmidt re-enter, and The Naked and Famous’ Laid Low, which has hovered within my top 100 for the last few months, finally breaks into the top 40, debuting strongly at #21. More on new entries and chart movesl in the next post; for now, here’s the whole chart list as it stands, counting up to this week ending Dec. 22nd :

01 The XX - On Hold [29-7-1-1-1]
02 BlackPink - Playing with Fire [12-1-2-2-2]
03 Fickle Friends - Brooklyn [36-3]
04 Gabrielle Aplin - Miss You [37-4]
05 Sia - Never Give Up [40-5]
06 Carmody - For Desire [20-6]
07 Annabel Jones x Nebbra - Asking For A Friend [34-7-7]
08 MishCatt x Skolhaus - Another Dimension [28-8]
09 Young Summer - Heart in Slo Mo [16-9]
10 MUNA - Winterbreak [N]
11 Burak Yeter ft. Danelle Sandoval - Tuesday [32-11]
12 Patty Crash ft. Kronic - Pictures [15-12]
13 Peking Duk ft. Elliphant - Stranger [14-6-4-3-8-13]
14 Lady Gaga - Diamond Heart [36-36-13-14]
15 Vaults - Bloodflow [27-15]
16 Keke Palmer - Hands Free [26-14-10-16]
17 RKCB - Enough [N]
18 Empire of the Sun - Keystone [19-X2-18]
19 Gypsy & the Cat - Paris [26-18-19]
20 Girl Blue - Fire Under Water [40-29-16-18-36-32-10-6-3-20]
21 The Naked & Famous - Laid Low [N]
22 Kate Bush - Among Angels (2014) [29-22]
23 Sleigh Bells - Baptism by Fire [13-9-11-23]
24 The Corrs - I Do What I Like [N]
25 Joan as Police Woman - Overloaded [21-22-16-17-21-25]
26 The Tapes - You Know It's Real [13-8-14-5-34-26]
27 Rae & Christian ft. Gita Langley - Still Here [N]
28 Little Mix - No More Sad Songs [14-28]
29 J Sutta - Distortion [20-12-29]
30 Warpaint - Dre [21-17-30]
31 Robin Schulz ft. Princess Chelsea - World Turns Grey [N]
32 Uppermost ft. Vita Schmidt - Hold Me Up [R]
33 George Maple - Sticks and Horses [9-6-2-14-33-X11-16-30-33]
34 Maroon 5 - Don't Wanna Know [N]
35 Alicia Keys - Blended Family [24-20-15-20-X3-32-25-35]
36 Empire of the Sun - Friends [33-17-15-26-36]
37 Goodluck - Find Me in the Forest [34-14-8-7-5-37]
38 Cocaine 80s ft. Jhene Aiko - Fly Ass Pisces [N]
39 Lady Gaga - John Wayne [25-25-30-X3-39]
40 Becky Hill ft. Little Simz - Back to My Love [N]

#1s this year:
AlunaGeorge - Mean What I Mean (1)
Britney Spears - Make Me (1)
Tove Lo - Cool Girl (2)
Clean Bandit ft. Louisa Johnson - Tears (1)
Dev ft. Nef the Pharaoh - #1 (1)
Empire Of The Sun - High And Low (1)
YoungR - Out Of My System (2)
Noonie Bao - Reminds Me (1)
Empire Of The Sun - To Her Door (1)
Sabrina Carpenter – Run and Hide (2)
Clean Bandit ft. Sean Paul + Anne-Marie - Rockabye (2)
BLACKPINK – Playing With Fire (1)
The XX – On Hold (~)

Spotify Link to the playlist in full this week: click right here
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
J00prstar
post Dec 24 2016, 10:24 PM
Post #2
Group icon
there's nothing straight about plump Elvis
Pronouns: they/any
User: 22,895
The 13th #1 since I started these charts holds steady this week, becoming the first #1 to hold for more then 3 weeks. My charts are comprised of the tracks I play each month in the 30-day period, updating week on week, for maximum variety vs longevity. Trust me, I tried doing it a few ways!

On average, tracks stick around for about three to four weeks. As the weekly playlist which takes in new releases every week is a big chunk of what contributes, there tends to be a lot of new releases week on week and not much that sticks around. With the end of the year approaching, time’s riper for re-entries though – and a few have re-entered the last few weeks. As new releases have been thin on the ground lately, some tracks have been sticking around longer. This week’s longest runner, Fire Under Water, still stands out though – managing 9 weeks off the cuff and still hanging in in the top 20. A slow burner is a good thing to be.

As I’m sure I’ll be talking a lot about chart records this time next week; I’ll leave this here and get straight to the links for this week though!

Gaga’s second personal top 20 hit from parent album Joanne follows lead Perfect Illusion into the upper half of my chart (John Wayne previously peaked out at #30). Unlike the singer’s flashbang in the pan last effort Artpop, which made its greatest impact soon after release with a plethora of different styles and rabble-rousers, Joanne is proving to be a slow burner for me. The general country-americana tracks sounded at first like a mass of the same but have begun, after a few more plays and playlist features, to diversify and sound out their own space and niches. Previous charter John Wayne plays as an intro to this new Gaga, who’s recently made some interviews playing up the ‘Lady’ part of her name; obviously playing a new role but one which America seems to be buying hook line and sinker as her core and truth. Diamond Heart is a bridge between the old and new Gagas, keeping the Americana but with a twinge of Marry the Night’s autobiographia to it too. This week dips one below it’s #13 peak after two previous weeks in the low 30s.

An act I discovered earlier this year, but only started to play recently outside of its long playlist. It’s got a pretty appropriate title for the season, which has helped it rack up plays. Originally released in March, which seems strange! It’s this week’s highest new entry debuting at #10.

Most famous for Young Blood from 2010, this is The Naked and Famous’s third era effort. This has hovered within the top 100 tracks for a few weeks and debuts this week. Laid Low is a nice slice of harder, energetic, rockier music that’s a welcome change from the pop and flowery EDM that makes up most music today that you’d hear outside of genre playlists and stations. A strong lead. #21.

After their surprise hit album last year on the official chart, I gave the 90s/early 2000s band another spin. Lead single White Light has been a long-running 2016 soundtracker for me, so I looked for something else from them, and this is what popped up. As I later found out, the second single from the album – a rare case of the track I like being the official single in the official release order (Into You would have been Ariana’s perfect comeback lead, and I won’t hear otherwise!) which is a nice surprise. This week, this debuts, at #24.

A slightly older one lifted from the tracks Spotify recommends to me in the Discover Weekly feature. Rae and Christian are a British production duo, active since the 90s and Gita Langley’s a composer, violinist and session singer. Apparently she was the violinist on The Streets’ Dry Your Eyes. Wow. Thanks, Google. This track was originally released in 2014. It enters at #27.

An album track from Robin Schulz, featuring semi-satiric singer-comedienne Princess Chelsea, definitely an inspired choice of guest. Not likely to see a chart release – not commercial enough – but would fit in perfectly well with the EDM/Guetta/house landscape on a compilation CD or playlist, I think. Debuting this week at #31.

Ah. THAT song. I know this is crap. I’m well aware. But I started listening to it ironically a little, and it caught on a little. It’s very much going to be flash in the pan, just like its video, but hey. Guilty pleasure, and its Christmas – I deserve one. I came across Maroon 5’s far superior Maps, which initially passed me by, this year, and enjoyed Sugar featuring Nicki Minaj last year. This is a big step down for them – and even more so for Kendrick! Bloody hell – but what can you do. Money talks. Sneaks in at #34 this week for me, and is a top 10 hit officially here and in the states. 2016, eh.

Another that’s hung around the lower reaches finally debuts into the top 40 this week. On trickle plays it’s already contending to get into my year-end top 100, despite only debuting now. Becky Hill’s not seen much solo success yet, but what’s 2017 for? It’s just round the corner, and it’d be nice to see her do well – and hey, success doesn’t have to be instantaneous these days, as this year’s rise of MØ and Kyla has shown, as well as James Arthur’s late resurgence. Give it a spin. #40, just.

The track that gives us the weekly quote, and maybe the most Christmassy or wintery out of this week’s bunch, Kate Bush’s Among Angels. The charting version is the 2014 live version from Bush’s most recent album, but unfortunately that’s not on YouTube yet.

Ms. Bush has had a nearly 40 year chart career and this is one of her most recent newest songs, originally released in 2011 on album 50 Words For Snow. Bush is a notable recluse, but with a solid fanbase, we’d love to hear more original work from her if she was ever to release anything more new. For now, we enjoy what she does put out. Since I discovered her work a few years ago, Bush has had a plethora of personal chart hits for me. A new peak of #22 for this one this week.

Love this. Old-school R&B hip hop, featuring Jhene Aiko, who needs to hurry back and release new solo material. Voice of an angel, spirit of a cool grrl. Cocaine 80s, a collective like Young Money, are pretty solid too – although maybe short-lived, or currently on hiatus. This here scores a #38.

Another slice of chill nu-soul from the falsetto-voiced duo. It’s RKCB’s fourth chart hit for me, following on from Speechless with Candyland (2015), Ignite (likely to break into my top 100 of the year), and Open Arms from the early summer this year. Another I’ll be keeping an eye on in 2017 – I love when one hit wonders become multiple hit wonders. This week, it’s #17 for RKCB.

And that's the lot for this week. Be sure and check out next week's crop and what's ended up charting - will The XX remain the star at the top of the tree for a fourth week?! Also keep an eye out for my top 100 of the year countdown, which will be starting off…pretty soon now, actually… in this personal charts forum. As ever I appreciate your comments and chat, and any tips for other new tracks you might have! Jupiter out.

This post has been edited by 360Jupiter: Dec 24 2016, 10:33 PM
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:37 AM