BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> 'Spotlight' | JAN 2016, Stars: Michael Keaton; Mark Ruffalo; Rachel McAdams; Liev Schrieber
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Tafty³³³
post Sep 17 2015, 02:56 AM
Post #1
Group icon
I found the love, I found the love in me
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 5,042

Based on the unveiling of child molestation inside Catholic Archdiocese, by the small Newspaper - 'The Boston Globe'. Been doing the rounds lately due to premiering at Toronto Film Festival and it's been getting some brilliant reviews. Seems like a performance heavy film and not one of them (judging by the trailer) looks to be a weak link.

Looks very tense and gripping!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
JackTheeStallion
post Sep 17 2015, 06:33 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 223
This looks really good and I love Rachel McAdams!

+Quote this post
J❄️hq
post Jan 29 2016, 05:46 PM
Post #3
Group icon
my anxiety attacks
User: 8,674
Definitely my pick out of what appear to be the three Best Picture front-runners (this, The Revenant and The Big Short). Interesting and gripping throughout. Mark Ruffalo was the stand-out if I were to single anyone out so I'd say he deserves his nom, Rachel McAdams..not to discredit her work, but that choice seems a bit more odd.

I liked (for want of a better word given the subject matter) how it went around different people to give an insight, talking to different victims and even having a scene with a priest giving his view etc.

+Quote this post
Josh!
post Feb 12 2016, 11:58 AM
Post #4
Group icon
c:
User: 20,692
Like Jahq says, this is definitely my favourite of the three front-runners but I'm a bit worried it won't win/feels like the hype is fading.

It was so hard to watch at times and the numbers of victims just kept on increasing throughout the film which was heartbreaking, I love way they did so many interviews without shying away from what happened was really tough to watch. After the list at the end, the whole audience just sat in stunned silence at how common it was and the way the Church just disguised it and relocated the priests.

Acting was excellent throughout too, Mark Ruffalo might be my pick now for supporting actor, the short 'it could have been any of us' argument was excellently acted, shame he probably won't win after two great performances in a row after this and Foxcatcher.

+Quote this post
p a v
post Feb 29 2016, 06:48 PM
Post #5
Group icon
thanks for being a sarcy lil bitch
User: 4,397
3 replies ;_;

+Quote this post
Insomnio
post Jan 9 2017, 10:17 AM
Post #6
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 10,742
"Spotlight" is undoubtedly one of the most significant productions of 2015. It was nominated for six Academy Awards, winning the "Best Original Screenplay" and "Best Picture"! "Spotlight" is based on true facts and it presents a scandal which rocked the Catholic Church boat fifteen years ago. The film's cast is comprised of a group of excellent actors and its official trailer promises to viewers that they will see something very strong and interesting.
"Spotlight" takes place in Boston between the period of 2001-2002. The film focuses on the successful research that the "Spotlight"journalist team did, which concerned a child abuse case from the local Catholic priests. The film's director Tom McCarthy follows step by step the editorial team and the viewer sees in each scene the progress of their investigation. I totally believe that "Spotlight" is a very important film and McCarthy handled excellently a very delicate issue. Do not expect to see melodrama, tears and tantrums of the victims nor flashbacks to show all that they had experienced. Moreover, the two screenwriters, Tom McCarthy and Josh Singer, did not want this to happen and that was a key condition for Singer to participate. Moreover, the interpretations of the actors were very good and their cooperation with the actual group of journalists was decisive. "Spotlight" had a well-written script, elaborate montage and remarkable soundtrack. Despite this, many names mentioned from the beginning of the film and coupled with fast switching scenes and dialogues, can be tire a large portion of viewers. It needs patience and attention during the whole course of the movie otherwise it is better to see something more lighthearted.
"Spotlight" is one of the best films I have ever seen on the big screen! It kept steady my interest from beginning to end and it reminded me of how exciting the journalist profession can be, when dealing with serious research and public information. The film received very positive feedback about its content and it distinguished with numerous awards from various festivals and critics associations. I understand the fact that there were many -especially fans of Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road and Big Short- that resented with its Golden Statuette for "Best Picture" but definitely the members saw something more in this movie than them. I highly recommended it!

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:00 PM