BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Meghan Trainor Singles Rate: THE RESULTS., Full results on pg.3!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Andrew.
post May 11 2020, 09:23 PM
Post #1
is in hibernation
Group: Banned
Member No.: 21,161

Let's go! cheer.gif cheer.gif

Can I just say how impressed I am at the turnout? Ik 24 people isn't massive but I honestly expected like 8 so yay. Imma dive straight into this, buckle ur Megatron seatbelts xx

So in 19th place is........

This post has been edited by Andrew.: May 17 2020, 11:18 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 11 2020, 09:39 PM
Post #2
is in hibernation

Our rate's wooden spoon really is in the deep end......

You'd expect more from a collaboration involving a BuzzJack fave.....

19. Boys Like You (with Who Is Fancy & Ariana Grande)
Average: 4.30

My heart beats like a drum: UltraReputation (10) Andrew. (8)
Need to cool down: sorryisslayed, Wall (0) George.keh (1)

Given this forum's shall we say complicated relationship with Meghan, who would've thought it was the collaboration with Buzzjack darling Ariana that was in last place! But last place it is. Who Is Fancy supported Ariana on her Honeymoon Tour which led to this (how Meghan got involved idk but I know Ari is a fan! we Stan queens supporting queens) which clearly paid off for him as it charted at #18 in the US...bubbling under chart :') Somehow it was a minor hit in New Zealand peaking at #26 but otherwise this didn't smash. I feel like I'll be saying this a lot this rate laugh.gif On a serious note though, Who Is Fancy is openly gay and while describing the lyrics on Genius he spoke about embracing his sexuality in pop music and we should commend him for that tbh as especially with male popstars that doesn't happen often. The song could've fit on Meghan's first album easily with the doo-wop sound and I think if it'd been pushed more or been HER single it would've probably been a hit tbh! Especially with Ariana involved.

I can kind of understand why the forum hasn't taken kindly to this but I can't help but stan it, it's feels like such a throwback to Meghan's first era :'( It's a cute bop! But clearly you guys didn't think the same. What are your opinions on 'Boys Like You'?

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 11 2020, 09:55 PM
Post #3
is in hibernation

Meghan will be feeling blue after seeing this bomb out ohmy.gif

She'll certainly be crying way too much.......

18. I'm A Lady (From the motion picture: SMURFS: THE LOST VILLAGE)
Average: 4.41

I know I'm a gem: UltraReputation (9) Commander Cody (8.5)
I talk with my mouth full: SamJudd, Sorryisslayed (-1), George.keh (1)

Another non-album single here. 'I'm A Lady' was released as a single from the latest Smurfs film at the time, and given the masterpiece Ooh La La that erupted from the last one expectations were high. kink.gif (was that the last one? idek I've never seen any of them lol) Meghan revealed the song was written especially for the film which makes sense as even for Meghan it's a bit much laugh.gif Despite being released after the 'Thank You' era it's very Title Meghan in sound and styling which makes me wonder if the beat was a reject from that album. Still you can't deny she serves LOOKS in that video.

Personally I listened to this once when it was released in 2017 then literally didn't again until I hosted this rate Michelle.png Then I found it was actually decent! Yes it's funky Meghan by numbers but that pre-chorus and drop is so infectious. I wish the verses had a bit more to them otherwise it'd be higher. Honestly I'd never heard a few of the songs before the rate so it's actually given me some new Meghan gems! Still need to give Treat Myself that full 2nd listen tho x

+Quote Post
Riser
post May 12 2020, 12:52 AM
Post #4
The horrors persist, but so do I
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

So I've already mentioned this during the Ariana rate, but my aunt's cousin is a co-writer on Boys Like You but even that's not enough for me to like it laugh.gif Easily got my lowest score out of all of these oops kink.gif

+Quote Post
George.keh
post May 12 2020, 12:56 AM
Post #5
#VoteGarden.Keh
Group: Members
Member No.: 32,047
   No Gallery Pics

I remember Meghan posting that her brother had done the graphic design for the “I’m A Lady” single cover and it was absolutely horrendous- no other memories of that song for me

+Quote Post
...ready for it
post May 12 2020, 03:52 AM
Post #6
I'm not asleep, my mind is alive.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 1,454

QUOTE(George.keh @ May 11 2020, 08:56 PM) *
I remember Meghan posting that her brother had done the graphic design for the “I’m A Lady” single cover and it was absolutely horrendous- no other memories of that song for me

Here it is: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5UmHPwWcAQdhJd.jpg:large

+Quote Post
Cody Scobell
post May 12 2020, 04:58 AM
Post #7
Cause if looks could kill, we wouldn’t want to be Dan Humphrey
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Honestly “I’m A Lady” grew on me after hearing it on DWTS

+Quote Post
DionTheSats123
post May 12 2020, 09:52 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 18,505
   No Gallery Pics

Honestly I love “Boys Like You”

Ariana is definitely the songs break out star but I never understand all the hate it gets.

+Quote Post
UltraCruelSummer
post May 12 2020, 10:07 AM
Post #9
It's a cruel summer.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

Both deserved better. sad.gif

Boys like you is fab and so underrated, I adore it. And I’m a lady is messy but a bop

+Quote Post
Tombo
post May 12 2020, 04:32 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,543

Nothing has surprised me so far, I'm A Lady is lame.

I thought Who Is Fancy would have been higher but it isn't one of my personal favourites so I'm not upset by its position.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 12 2020, 05:17 PM
Post #11
is in hibernation

Our first song to be rated above the 5 mark comes now...

I guess Buzzjack won't be getting it on with this song any time soon.......

17. Marvin Gaye (with Charlie Puth)
Average: 5.35

Lovin' in your eyes: Dexton, Commander Cody, Jordan Lee, Wall (10) UltraReputation, Cameron, Joseph Styles (9)
I'm in trouble: Jack, J00psyMethyd (-1), Tawdry Hepburn (0)

Ariana and then Charlie Puth, two Buzzjack favourites in the bottom three ohmy.gif kink.gif 'Marvin Gaye' was released in the UK in August 2015 as Charlie's debut single. Weirdly in the US it did well but wasn't HUGE, only reaching #21 and being outpeaked by every other US single on the album. The same thing happened in Canada. That wasn't the case over here fortunately (or unfortunately magic.gif) as the song became a massive #1, Meghan's last to date in the UK. The lyrics thankfully don't delve too deep into the 'get[ting] it on' drama.gif The video is classic Meghan though, if you like it you'll love her pretty much :')

I obviously knew this song when it came out but I can't say I've listened to it at all since or any Charlie actually, the tune is pretty catchy tbf so I hadn't forgotten it. The verses of the song I can leave, the chorus I can kind of take blush.gif I'm acc surprised this isn't last, it has a lot of haters but surprisingly a lot of lovers! Probably one of the most polarising songs in the rate.

+Quote Post
Ho-Lee Smokes
post May 12 2020, 05:26 PM
Post #12
🙄
Member No.: 10,643

Marvin Gaye is an absolute bop!

frankie.png

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 12 2020, 05:43 PM
Post #13
is in hibernation

In fifteenth place..............

This isn't likely to drive the artists on this song loco, loco......

16. Hey DJ (with CNCO & Sean Paul)
Average: 6.04

La música que le gusta: Joseph Styles, Jonjo (10), UltraReputation (8.5)
I know it's wrong: sorryisslayed (0), SamJudd (2.5)

We go from a 4 to a 5 to a 6 as 'Hey DJ' also gets a big jump in average! Following on from their Little Mix collaboration CNCO teamed up with Meghan and SEAN DUTTY PAUL on this remix. Sadly it failed to chart in most territories although it did well in some parts of Europe and the original song sans-Meghan/Sean did well in South America. Meghan's very prominent on the song, which I believe is her first and only delve into reggaeton ohmy.gif It's a fun song and I wouldn't mind her playing with the style again, I wonder if she will?

I think this is a classic case of if it was a hit, it'd be right up in the top 10. It's way better than the only other CNCO song I've ever heard (Reggaeton Mehnto) and perfect catchy latin pop. Sean Paul's contribution doesn't hurt either but when did it ever xx

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 12 2020, 05:44 PM
Post #14
is in hibernation

Three more results coming tonight! What are your thoughts so far cheeseblock.png

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post May 12 2020, 05:49 PM
Post #15
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

That's not the version of Hey DJ I'd generally pick to listen to but it's a GREAT song in any form! Think it would've done better if it were more well known.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 12 2020, 11:12 PM
Post #16
is in hibernation

So this is the song actually in fifteenth place oops.......

The first song to receive an 11 ohmy.gif

15. All The Ways
Average: 6.24

The way you, you love me: dannjohn (11) Jonjo (8.5)
Your heart's blue: Wall (3) Cameron (3.5)

'All The Ways' was released as a single from Treat Myself, but eventually only ended up on a Target edition of the album oop. I was gonna put it in the 'others' category until I realised that. It also featured on her successful 2019 EP 'The Love Train' (which featured some of the songs on the original 2018 version of Treat Myself) as the lead single. Target liked the song so much it ended up on one of their commercials *____* The song didn't reach any international charts but managed to peak at #16 on the US Adult top 40.

For me, this is meh to good. I love the beat in the pre-chorus but the chorus itself just falls pretty flat and the song itself is a bit corny for me. I'm not surprised it's first single from an album to go out!

This post has been edited by Andrew.: May 12 2020, 11:12 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 12 2020, 11:28 PM
Post #17
is in hibernation

Another 11 drops out....

Y'all clearly don't think much of Meghan's dance skills (have you seen the NO video? sad.gif)....

14. Can't Dance
Average: 6.33

Cute as hell: Billy. (11) TomHo (10)
I'ma teach you a lesson: J00psyMethyd (2) George.keh (3)

'Can't Dance' was released as a single alongside 'Let You Be Right' (which is still to come ohmy.gif) on the 10th of May 2018, following on from 'No Excuses'. Like #15, it was meant to be on Treat Myself but ultimately got shunted off with the album delay. Unlike that though, it didn't even appear on the Love Train EP or any edition of Treat Myself. drama.gif This is actually the only song in the rate to NOT have a video so they clearly pushed LYBR more, I don't know if that was the intention from the off or a reaction to the more positive reception that got.

I gave this less than any other song oop. Boys Like You, I'm a Lady and Hey DJ robbed sad.gif Listening to it again I was a little harsh perhaps but it feels very meh-gan, like her usual style but quite formulaic and without any fun or charm. It doesn't sound bad today though :') It mostly got middle-of-the-road 6's and 7's, like ATW again.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 13 2020, 12:19 AM
Post #18
is in hibernation

Last one tonight, be sure to comment your thoughts on the results so far happy.gif

Another song in the 6's!

In thirteenth place......

13. Better
Average: 6.54

All My Friends: JulianNial (11) dannjohn (10)
Crash and burnt to pieces: TomHo (1) UltraReputation, sorryisslayed, Wall (4)

'Better' was the 3rd and final single from Thank You. It's performance may well be the reason why it was the final single laugh.gif Although the era wasn't doing too well in the UK with 'Me Too' having flopped and the album having spent just 9 weeks in the top 100 before dropping out compared with 53 weeks for Title, she was still in a relatively good place in the US, Me Too peaked at #12 and the album hadn't sold as amazingly as her debut but more than well enough for a 3rd single to succeed. Unfortunately 'Better' kind of killed the campaign D: I know it didn't get the biggest push but missing the Hot 100 after a series of smash hits must've been a huge disappointment and a definite sign that Meghan should perhaps ditch the more laid back, urban image she had in her second era and go back to the fun bops, not that Thank You wasn't a great era!

I remember being so disappointed this was the 3rd single when Champagne Problems, Kindly Calm Me Down (which would've smashed) and Woman Up were right there, but it did warm on me. The tropical sound is very 2016, but it really suits her voice actually. Yo Gotti is kinda pointless (which you could say about half the guests on that album lollll) but overall the song is decent, not one of her best but decent.

+Quote Post
Riser
post May 13 2020, 01:45 AM
Post #19
The horrors persist, but so do I
Member No.: 19,534

I love Can't Dance and Better, both deserved better (on this rate and as singles) </3

+Quote Post
Ho-Lee Smokes
post May 13 2020, 02:30 AM
Post #20
🙄
Member No.: 10,643

If Meghan releases kindly calm me down, her career would have performed much better following thank you

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:45 PM