BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome, guest! Log in or register. (click here for help)

Latest Site News
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> New Graphics, Profile Fields, and more improvements
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post 8th April 2024, 10:56 PM
Post #1
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
Pronouns: he/him
User: 13,530

Hi everyone,

As you can see, I've been a little bored over my Easter break, and what became one little idea for the forum spiralled into a series of new graphics to help liven the place up while we're stuck on this very outdated layout. I've learned more about HTML in the last few days than I have in my entire life, I'm fairly sure I'm going to be dreaming of code when I go to bed tonight tearsmile.gif

The first is that there are new gender icons, which came about after I realised we do indeed have a non-binary gender option in the profile, but no icon to go with it! So for the sake of consistency, I refreshed all of the gender icons (including the 'gender not set' icon that you'll see in people's profiles and in the member list). It was a PAIN to get everything synced up, and please be careful if you edit your gender through your profile page instead of the Edit Profile button, because I'm not sure the two marry up, but that applies to the male and female options as much as non-binary so may have been a problem before I got there. However, I would LOVE to add more gender options! Of course, there are many options out there, and quite frankly I wouldn't know where to start when adding a comprehensive list to Buzzjack, especially when I'm not sure how many would be of use. Therefore, if you'd like to see your gender, or any other genders, represented on the list, please let me know in this thread or via PM as I'd be keen to add them (and I'd probably want to add a few in one go as it's a pretty laborious task). For now, I hope the non-binary option can be useful to some of you (I know it is to me until I get around to adding something more specific).

There are also some new graphics down the bottom of the index page of the forum. It was looking a bit depressing and clunky so I jazzed it up with a few emojis and I restructured it just a little to get rid of the dead space.

I'm sure you've noticed by now the new group tags that each poster has. These have replaced the ambiguous blue dot graphics that increased with post counts - don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about these in my entire time here...! They've also replaced the need for the simple text field that listed a member's group (member, moderator, admin, etc), and I've been able to restructure the profile field to the left of each post. It includes all of the same information, just presented more neatly.

If you're looking for the gallery information that used to be in this area, you can now view a user's gallery (or alternatively, find out that they have no gallery pictures) by clicking the dropdown box next to someone's username. I've not figured out how to change the colour of that yet so it looks a little ugly (and I'm aware a graphic is repeated!), but that's where it is. A little plea regarding the gallery - please have a look at which photos you've uploaded and decide whether you'd still like it to be up, particularly photos of yourself, as some of these go back AGES and I'm worried people have forgotten what they've put on here. Alternatively, if you see something that you figure probably doesn't NEED to be in the gallery anymore, please don't hesitate to delete - it's so cluttered that it's stressing me out if I'm being totally honest x

There's every chance I'll be looking at some other little tweaks this week and I'll update you guys as I do! Would very much welcome any suggestions you guys have too, don't hesitate to let me know and I'll try and figure out if we can implement it. For now, I hope you enjoy the slightly refreshed look!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
Jade
post 8th April 2024, 11:02 PM
Post #2
Group icon
Alone and wounded
Pronouns: She/her
User: 12,810

Happy to hear about the gender inclusivity! On a personal level I'm also digging the hot pink refresh of the female icon.

I think I was logged in during the experimental stages earlier as I was so confused as to why the alignments kept changing laugh.gif but I like the look of the final product!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 8th April 2024, 11:04 PM
Post #3
Group icon

There was a *lot* of trial and error so sorry to those who caught the random chopping and changing of various aspects over the last 24 hours! laugh.gif The only way I could figure out some of the code was to be like "ooh what does this do?" kink.gif

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 8th April 2024, 11:21 PM
Post #4
Group icon
Here to play, here to stay
User: 21,587

Hey Joseph, great work! Always love a free upgrade! biggrin.gif

My idea was for the Shoutbox, firstly I thought the button labelled "Smilie" is unnecessary (and perhaps should be called emoji if it remained) but mainly I was wondering if within the section where the Shoutbox is, to the right, could be another box for announcements/notifications (for example about a listening session, a chart show, a song contest deadline or whatever that needs to alert other members for). As someone running a daily event in The Lounge for April, I try to put reminders in the shoutbox but these are quickly “outshouted” by other members shouts. Perhaps an area at the bottom for announcements and events would be really good if the forum has this functionality of course without it looking clunky as you identified. The calendar feature is useful for upcoming events, but for things that perhaps need a more urgent alert would be useful.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 8th April 2024, 11:29 PM
Post #5
Group icon

QUOTE(awardinary @ Apr 9 2024, 12:21 AM) *
Hey Joseph, great work! Always love a free upgrade! biggrin.gif

My idea was for the Shoutbox, firstly I thought the button labelled "Smilie" is unnecessary (and perhaps should be called emoji if it remained) but mainly I was wondering if within the section where the Shoutbox is, to the right, could be another box for announcements/notifications (for example about a listening session, a chart show, a song contest deadline or whatever that needs to alert other members for). As someone running a daily event in The Lounge for April, I try to put reminders in the shoutbox but these are quickly “outshouted” by other members shouts. Perhaps an area at the bottom for announcements and events would be really good if the forum has this functionality of course without it looking clunky as you identified. The calendar feature is useful for upcoming events, but for things that perhaps need a more urgent alert would be useful.

Thanks for the kind words Wardy (and Jade as well)!

Your wish is my command on the 'Smilie' button, I've renamed it 'Emoticon' to be consistent across the forum!

The calendar is definitely the best way to currently advertise an event that's happening, I'd make use of that as much as possible, though something like this is actually why I ended up trawling through the admin control panel in the first place. We used to have a panel on the forum index that had some forum statistics, gallery photos, etc - would need some tweaking but it feels like the right kind of place to advertise current forum activities. I'll continue looking into it and hopefully we can find something that can serve a range of purposes + look nice at the top of the forum!

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 8th April 2024, 11:57 PM
Post #6
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

I’m loving these changes, Joseph! It looks a lot fresher! Thank you for going to the trouble wub.gif

Regarding the shout box, I have a few queries!

Is there any way that we could see more stats? It would be interesting to see beyond the Top 25 top shouters, so every member could see how many times they’ve posted a shout. If this was something that launched on a separate page, like it does for the top posters of the forum where we can see how many times everyone has posted?

When clicking the number of shouts next to a member, would it be possible for that to launch a page that shows the history of that person’s shouts, like we can with our forum posts? Because currently if you click their number of shouts, it just reloads the main page of the shout box thinking.gif

One final thing about the shout box, currently it only has “next page” - is there a way to make it like the forum where it looks like this, for example: “873 Pages 1 2 3 > >>” - maybe this would be a fun feature if members want to look back at older shouts more easily?

No worries if none of this is possible! kink.gif

+Quote this post
conorw
post 9th April 2024, 12:11 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 137,667

ooh nice work joseph, it looks great!!

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 9th April 2024, 12:20 AM
Post #8
Group icon

QUOTE(-Jay- @ Apr 9 2024, 12:57 AM) *
I’m loving these changes, Joseph! It looks a lot fresher! Thank you for going to the trouble wub.gif

Regarding the shout box, I have a few queries!

Is there any way that we could see more stats? It would be interesting to see beyond the Top 25 top shouters, so every member could see how many times they’ve posted a shout. If this was something that launched on a separate page, like it does for the top posters of the forum where we can see how many times everyone has posted?

When clicking the number of shouts next to a member, would it be possible for that to launch a page that shows the history of that person’s shouts, like we can with our forum posts? Because currently if you click their number of shouts, it just reloads the main page of the shout box thinking.gif

One final thing about the shout box, currently it only has “next page” - is there a way to make it like the forum where it looks like this, for example: “873 Pages 1 2 3 > >>” - maybe this would be a fun feature if members want to look back at older shouts more easily?

No worries if none of this is possible! kink.gif

I'll have a play around though I think all of this stuff may well be above my pay grade cry.gif sarah11.png

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 9th April 2024, 09:05 AM
Post #9
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

I thought I spotted something different on the left hand side of the page, bravo work!

I do think that the "Member" tag looks a bit clunky and out of line with the rest of box as the text is central whereas the rest is all on the right-hand side.

This post has been edited by Dobbo: 9th April 2024, 09:07 AM

+Quote this post
Y'all Starlight
post 9th April 2024, 09:41 AM
Post #10
Group icon
WELCOME TO UTOPIA
User: 153,406

This is looking fantastic Joseph! It's always nice to embrace some changes.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post 9th April 2024, 10:15 AM
Post #11
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217

QUOTE(Dobbo @ Apr 9 2024, 10:05 AM) *
I do think that the "Member" tag looks a bit clunky and out of line with the rest of box as the text is central whereas the rest is all on the right-hand side.

This made me feel curious about what it would look like if the Member tag and the custom line were swapped around:

I quite like that, as it has the username left aligned, member tag central and custom line on the right. Maybe that flows better. I'm not sure if it's possible to switch those around though?

+Quote this post
Dobbo
post 9th April 2024, 10:24 AM
Post #12
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
User: 20,053

I prefer that too^ does look more sleek

+Quote this post
JulianT
post 9th April 2024, 10:59 AM
Post #13
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 8,705

Enjoying the updates: the fonts are fun and they look more modern somehow.

+Quote this post
Ansel
post 9th April 2024, 12:17 PM
Post #14
Group icon
BuzzJack Gold Member
User: 106,739

This looks great, definitely feels more intuitive than the blue dots! I agree the group tags might look better right-aligned, or swapped around like Jay suggested.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post 9th April 2024, 12:36 PM
Post #15
Group icon

Thanks so much for the feedback guys! I've swapped the two fields around as suggested biggrin.gif

That screenshot Jay posted was making me worry as the Joined / Posts / User # aren't meant to be italic anymore, then I noticed it was the same on my phone tearsmile.gif clearing the cache worked for me if anyone else wants to solve that.

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 9th April 2024, 12:49 PM
Post #16
Group icon

I also wonder if there’s a way to change my description of "BuzzJack Legend" to something else. I notice others have customised descriptions.

+Quote this post
Linds.
post 9th April 2024, 12:49 PM
Post #17
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,176

oooh Ty Joseph! Love the gender graphic but not a fan of the massive member text if I'm honest - I think just because it's black laugh.gif Think we should be rebranded as Not-a-Mod in a nice orange colour wink.gif it does look good for mods though and is better than the square things

+Quote this post
Linds.
post 9th April 2024, 12:52 PM
Post #18
Group icon
laugh 'til we cry
Pronouns: she/her
User: 21,176

Wardy you didn't need to bring that here, I've posted a more constructive response now I know it's something Joseph has implemented and not a random auto update or something laugh.gif

It's just me being pedantic x

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 9th April 2024, 12:53 PM
Post #19
Group icon

On an unrelated note… looking at my stats bar I just noticed I reached 20,000 posts very recently! What was my 20,000th post Joseph? laugh.gif

+Quote this post
awardinary
post 9th April 2024, 12:54 PM
Post #20
Group icon

QUOTE(Linds. @ Apr 9 2024, 01:52 PM) *
Wardy you didn't need to bring that here, I've posted a more constructive response now I know it's something Joseph has implemented and not a random auto update or something laugh.gif

It's just me being pedantic x

Sorry I’ll get rid of it now. wink.gif

+Quote this post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 user(s) reading this thread
+ 1 guest(s) and 0 anonymous user(s)

Time is now: 27th April 2024, 02:22 AM